Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! 17:26 - May 14 with 9276 viewsChris1803

With all the playoffs now done and dusted outside of the EFL, the sides making up the National League for 2023/24 are confirmed as:

AFC Fylde
Aldershot Town
Altrincham FC
Barnet FC
Boreham Wood
Bromley FC
Chesterfield FC
Dagenham & Redbridge
Dorking Wanderers
Eastleigh FC
Ebbsfleet United
FC Halifax Town
Gateshead FC
Hartlepool United
Kidderminster Harriers
Maidenhead United
Oldham Athletic
Oxford City
Rochdale AFC
Solihull Moors
Southend United
Wealdstone FC
Woking FC
York City

Onwards to new adventures, new grounds, and a number of friendly welcoming clubs.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:15 - May 16 with 3149 viewsscarrow

13 new grounds for me next season

Poll: Final position

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:36 - May 16 with 3096 viewswatford_dale

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 22:19 - May 15 by EllDale

If we were remarking before that the geographical balance of non league football is skewed towards the south I’ve just seen that Bishops Stortford have been placed in National League North next season!

I have been to see Blyth Spartans at Bishops Stortford in NLN in 2012, also saw them away at Corby Town (home of the largest Rangers supporters club outside of Glasgow) and Histon Utd. None of which could be considered Northern League.

Plus Bishops S is further north than one of the other 3 that came down that would have had to potentially enter NLN - Yeovil, Torquay or Dartford.

Reckon South Shields will fly through the NLN this forthcoming season based on avg home gates of 2,000+ in NPL and good ownership.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 02:28 - May 17 with 2992 viewsYadHoDale

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:36 - May 16 by watford_dale

I have been to see Blyth Spartans at Bishops Stortford in NLN in 2012, also saw them away at Corby Town (home of the largest Rangers supporters club outside of Glasgow) and Histon Utd. None of which could be considered Northern League.

Plus Bishops S is further north than one of the other 3 that came down that would have had to potentially enter NLN - Yeovil, Torquay or Dartford.

Reckon South Shields will fly through the NLN this forthcoming season based on avg home gates of 2,000+ in NPL and good ownership.

National League may not be totally confirmed. Southend face a winding up petition again.

According to a friend who supports them, "this may actually be it".

Dale may end up going to a reprieved Torquay instead.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 13:03 - May 17 with 2790 viewsYadHoDale

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 02:28 - May 17 by YadHoDale

National League may not be totally confirmed. Southend face a winding up petition again.

According to a friend who supports them, "this may actually be it".

Dale may end up going to a reprieved Torquay instead.

As you were, WUP postponed until 12 July. Won't be helpful in organising things like players' contracts...
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 13:22 - May 17 with 2767 viewsChris1803

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:36 - May 16 by watford_dale

Regards South Shields, it will be interesting to see how they get on. They've had a lot of investment both on and off the pitch over the last 5 years or so, coupled with absolutely making the most of Sunderland's slide from the Premier League to League One, which saw a large number of fans head for Mariners Park instead of the Stadium of Light. Even considering Sunderland's good season last year, South Shields have done really well to capture, and maintain good crowds.

However, from what I've heard from friends in the North East, the owner won't be giving Julio Arca a war-chest for players and player wages. This is apparently the reason Kevin Phillips left so soon after they'd sewn up the Northern Premier League title - because Phillips expected more investment and a good budget for next year, and the owner wants to tighten the expenditure somewhat, and to try using their own youth system and academy to bolster the squad, which Phillips wasn't keen to do, so left whilst his own personal stock was high.

Whist talking of National League North sides, Scunthorpe United have been very active in the market already, announcing 4 or 5 signings in the last couple of days, most notably centre back Will Evans which seems a very solid signing for the level, and goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons who featured 35 times for Chesterfield in the National League this season.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:12 - May 17 with 2602 viewswatford_dale

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 13:22 - May 17 by Chris1803

Regards South Shields, it will be interesting to see how they get on. They've had a lot of investment both on and off the pitch over the last 5 years or so, coupled with absolutely making the most of Sunderland's slide from the Premier League to League One, which saw a large number of fans head for Mariners Park instead of the Stadium of Light. Even considering Sunderland's good season last year, South Shields have done really well to capture, and maintain good crowds.

However, from what I've heard from friends in the North East, the owner won't be giving Julio Arca a war-chest for players and player wages. This is apparently the reason Kevin Phillips left so soon after they'd sewn up the Northern Premier League title - because Phillips expected more investment and a good budget for next year, and the owner wants to tighten the expenditure somewhat, and to try using their own youth system and academy to bolster the squad, which Phillips wasn't keen to do, so left whilst his own personal stock was high.

Whist talking of National League North sides, Scunthorpe United have been very active in the market already, announcing 4 or 5 signings in the last couple of days, most notably centre back Will Evans which seems a very solid signing for the level, and goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons who featured 35 times for Chesterfield in the National League this season.

They may be able to do it on crowds but would defo tap out at the next level. They have 3 localish fixt next season - Blyth, Spen and Darlo.

It would have been better for them if Gateshead had gone down but personally looking forward to that game. Day/night out in Newcastle/Ouseburn get the game in and stay in Whitley Bay (cheap hotels, on metro and good bar in the station) and throw in a good cobweb blowing walk along the beach the next morning.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:29 - May 17 with 2558 viewspioneer

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:12 - May 17 by watford_dale

They may be able to do it on crowds but would defo tap out at the next level. They have 3 localish fixt next season - Blyth, Spen and Darlo.

It would have been better for them if Gateshead had gone down but personally looking forward to that game. Day/night out in Newcastle/Ouseburn get the game in and stay in Whitley Bay (cheap hotels, on metro and good bar in the station) and throw in a good cobweb blowing walk along the beach the next morning.

You risk upsetting the football gods and the game being set for a tuesday night in February🙂
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 19:53 - May 20 with 2184 viewsEllDale

Just to rub it in I reckon that there are only eight teams based south of Birmingham in League Two next season 🤭
Login to get fewer ads

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:23 - May 20 with 2139 viewsJames1980

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 19:53 - May 20 by EllDale

Just to rub it in I reckon that there are only eight teams based south of Birmingham in League Two next season 🤭

That's like salt and rubbing alcohol

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 14:09 - May 21 with 1846 viewsEllDale

Might just take a look at the FA Trophy final this afternoon. Both Halifax and Gateshead are midtable Conference teams so could be interesting to try and gauge the standard.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 16:50 - May 21 with 1719 viewsD_Alien

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 14:09 - May 21 by EllDale

Might just take a look at the FA Trophy final this afternoon. Both Halifax and Gateshead are midtable Conference teams so could be interesting to try and gauge the standard.

Half an hour played, and no-one's taken a shot yet

Sounds right up Dale's street

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 16:52 - May 21 with 1715 viewsJames1980

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 16:50 - May 21 by D_Alien

Half an hour played, and no-one's taken a shot yet

Sounds right up Dale's street

What about the xG?

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 17:20 - May 21 with 1670 viewsD_Alien

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 16:52 - May 21 by James1980

What about the xG?

HT:

1 Halifa xG ateshead 0

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 17:33 - May 21 with 1633 viewsJames1980

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 17:20 - May 21 by D_Alien

HT:

1 Halifa xG ateshead 0

Like what you did there.

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 17:54 - May 21 with 1579 viewsSuddenLad

Crowd of over 27,000 have been treated to a bore fest and a freak goal.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:10 - May 21 with 1435 viewsEllDale

Only confirmed what I already thought, that if we keep the nucleus of the current side with some decent additions then a top ten finish is more than possible.
One oddity is that Halifax have won this trophy without playing a home game as they’ve been drawn away in every round. They haven’t won many games either with a lot of penalty shootouts involved as there are no replays.
Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:46 - May 21 with 1390 viewsD_Alien

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 17:33 - May 21 by James1980

Like what you did there.

Thankyou, James

Just to continue the general conversation, i don't think too much can be taken from today's final. The venue, the weather and the season ending for both teams quite a few days ago will all have played a part in producing an unrepresentative game

I wonder if they'll have an open-top bus parade in Halifax?

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 21:07 - May 21 with 1355 viewsSuddenLad

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:10 - May 21 by EllDale

Only confirmed what I already thought, that if we keep the nucleus of the current side with some decent additions then a top ten finish is more than possible.
One oddity is that Halifax have won this trophy without playing a home game as they’ve been drawn away in every round. They haven’t won many games either with a lot of penalty shootouts involved as there are no replays.

Only 3 teams have scored fewer league goals than Halifax all season. It showed.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 21:10 - May 21 with 1350 viewsJames1980

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 20:46 - May 21 by D_Alien

Thankyou, James

Just to continue the general conversation, i don't think too much can be taken from today's final. The venue, the weather and the season ending for both teams quite a few days ago will all have played a part in producing an unrepresentative game

I wonder if they'll have an open-top bus parade in Halifax?

If I had the wherewithal I would post a picture of an old horse drawn omnibus.

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 21:31 - May 21 with 1332 viewsJames1980

On a more serious note what were playing styles of each team? Was there much passing between the keeper and defenders at goal kicks?

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 22:44 - May 21 with 1246 viewsD_Alien

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 21:10 - May 21 by James1980

If I had the wherewithal I would post a picture of an old horse drawn omnibus.

Looks like the Scots may have been trying to flog an open-top to Halifax

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65665113
[Post edited 21 May 2023 22:44]

Next Seasons National League Confirmed! on 00:43 - May 22 with 1186 viewsAussieShaymen

Absolutely pointless having this game 3 weeks after the season has finished, players were cramping up and getting injured all over the shop. Wouldn't read anything into that game. Us & Gateshead incidentally were the two most inform teams in conference over the last 10-15 games of the season.

We had around 8000 there for essentially a tinpot trophy, but it's a good day out and the tickets are cheap at £25 and a £10 concessions. Plus you get 2 games for price of one. Think we get £60,000 for winning trophy plus the 38k thst we had already won from previous rounds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024