Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR Petition against ticket office closures 06:24 - Jul 7 with 6927 viewsJames1980

Please consider signing this petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636542/signatures/new

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 19:45 - Jul 7 with 1928 viewspioneer

How come anywhere in London you can use tap and go on all forms of public transport but not outside London? (rhetorical question of course).
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 20:46 - Jul 7 with 1868 viewsRodingdale

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 19:22 - Jul 7 by 442Dale

That’s a fair point. It’s that this is clearly not improving it as it’s affecting customers.

Yes, but would those customers trade fewer cancellations, delays, overcrowded trains? It seems that the moment there is any change proposed, to the way services are delivered - there’s a negative reaction based on sentiment not data. No doubt I’ll be shouted down / insulted for using a word like data. I like to use the trains and would like to see the sector grow which would be good for all rail workers. The current approach of opposing all change, is making the service worse. By the way, if you don’t like Asda - go to your corner shop - us rail users don’t get choice of provider, we’re stuck with it route to route. Our railways are the most expensive, most unreliable in Europe, I’d like that to change, seems a majority on here are cool with it, so I’ll leave it there - let’s see what happens. I’m just glad I didn’t mention the dirty knife.
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 21:00 - Jul 7 with 1849 views442Dale

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 20:46 - Jul 7 by Rodingdale

Yes, but would those customers trade fewer cancellations, delays, overcrowded trains? It seems that the moment there is any change proposed, to the way services are delivered - there’s a negative reaction based on sentiment not data. No doubt I’ll be shouted down / insulted for using a word like data. I like to use the trains and would like to see the sector grow which would be good for all rail workers. The current approach of opposing all change, is making the service worse. By the way, if you don’t like Asda - go to your corner shop - us rail users don’t get choice of provider, we’re stuck with it route to route. Our railways are the most expensive, most unreliable in Europe, I’d like that to change, seems a majority on here are cool with it, so I’ll leave it there - let’s see what happens. I’m just glad I didn’t mention the dirty knife.

Not sure people don’t have issues and want it to improve. It’s just that being able to easily buy tickets online is a great option for most, it doesn’t mean that having staff in ticket offices is something that needs tackling as a priority. That’s not opposing change, it’s identifying what has to change.

There’s enough data in this thread from people who mention the ticket office at Rochdale and how it’s used. Only this week I popped in and got some great assistance for a journey on the Bank Holiday weekend when the online version was holding first no prices, then conflicting ones. So they could sort that first, but that’s just a personal view and the bigger picture is there’s plenty more people who both need and want to use a ticket office. Those staff, at stations like Rochdale, are better employed there than wandering around outside. Unless there’s evidence to prove otherwise.

If there’s any data available that will guarantee such a change will ensure fewer cancellations, delays and overcrowded trains, then fair enough.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 22:34 - Jul 7 with 1800 viewsNigelWatson

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 07:08 - Jul 7 by Rodingdale

The railways need to modernise. Something that is obvious to anyone who uses trains, or more to point has to use the trains. The cost and unreliability of services for those with choice is driving people away from the railways in droves. No doubt if the closure of ticket offices does proceed it will give the unions another excuse to strike and further damage the rail industry. I can’t remember the last time I bought a ticket at a ticket office. Time to accept we live in the digital age - not the steam age.

I will not be signing the petition James, but thanks for asking to consider doing so.

After the last three years, and you are still fast asleep?
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 22:36 - Jul 7 with 1799 viewsNigelWatson

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 09:17 - Jul 7 by sxdale

That is without doubt the most selfish, self absorbed "I'm alright Jack" post I've ever had the misfortune to read.
I have to travel by train all the time, since my eyesight failed me I can no longer drive. I cannot see how to operate the ticket machines but I can see the ticket office and talk to people. Similarly my 85 year old father who still values his independence enjoys getting about on the train but would struggle buying a ticket online and does not own a smartphone.
This policy is just excluding the most vulnerable people in our society and those unable to drive or unable to afford to own a car from the travel that you enjoy without a thought for anyone else.
It's not just train travel either council's are now using e-tickets and apps for car parking and removing pay and display machines again excluding the elderly and less technologically adept.
Going back to the railways the reason they are failing is quite simply privatisation. All the billions of pounds paid to shareholders over the years could have been spent on improving the railway network.
The Italian, Dutch and German nationalised rail companies run our railways and use the profits they make to subsidise the price of their own citizens tickets and improve their own network.
I will be signing your petition James.

Shut up peasant and do what the government tells you to

Complaining is: NOT ALLOWED!
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 22:38 - Jul 7 with 1798 viewsNigelWatson

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 09:47 - Jul 7 by 49thseason

There is a distinct sense that all human problems can be solved by using phones, with no regard for people who cannot or will not use them. It is certainly the case that millions are paying for phones they can't really afford rather than buying food and clothes for their kids. The art of conversation is rapidly disappearing as people spend hours staring at a small screen, even in the pub! and dont get me started on Banks, cash and digital currencies....I dont deny that a phone can be a useful implement in an emergency but to make life impossible without one verges on the criminal and makes us subservient to those who should be serving us.
Never forget, Track and Trace cost us (wasted) £38Bn because some Government children thought it would solve our covid problems. Sooner or later a Government will mandate that you carry your phone at all times... and our perceived freedoms will be totally gone. Switch your phone off, use cash, talk to your family... feel the freedom... and save some jobs in the process!

All about control, pal
You not worked it out yet?
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 22:39 - Jul 7 with 1797 viewsNigelWatson

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 11:52 - Jul 7 by foreverhopefulDale

For the same reason we should have cash turnstiles and ticket office at The Dale we should still have ticket offices at train stations, not everyone can use it has a smartphone. The help and advice that a person in the ticket office can give is often not available online or easy to get on the phone. Everytime I go to a train station the ticket office is always being used. Time the money in the train industry went to the service instead of shareholders, that are often foreign train operators.

Exactly - we have to push back against this nonsense!
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 00:26 - Jul 8 with 1739 viewssxdale

Oh bless, little Nidgey has stayed up late cos he wants to play out with the big boys. Run along now it's way past your bedtime.
Login to get fewer ads

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 16:02 - Jul 8 with 1595 viewssnuffler

Just as an aside to this. I was at Manchester Victoria station yesterday and there was a large police presence along with Metrolink staff, they were checking everyone who got off the trams for tickets, there were a lot of people who had been on without paying and were fined £45 immediately or more if a summons had to be sent. Well done to the police and Metrolink staff for doing this and for me it serves the fare dodgers right, all for trying to say a couple of quid.
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 18:30 - Jul 8 with 1504 viewskel

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 16:02 - Jul 8 by snuffler

Just as an aside to this. I was at Manchester Victoria station yesterday and there was a large police presence along with Metrolink staff, they were checking everyone who got off the trams for tickets, there were a lot of people who had been on without paying and were fined £45 immediately or more if a summons had to be sent. Well done to the police and Metrolink staff for doing this and for me it serves the fare dodgers right, all for trying to say a couple of quid.

I use the tram for work and I reckon I can safely say that 95% of the school kids that get on don’t pay. Too hard to police when there are hundreds of them but I did afford myself a wry smile when a kid outside of school hours got caught the other week.
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 18:56 - Jul 8 with 1465 viewsEllDale

They are obviously aware of the problem of fare dodging but it’s probably a manpower problem.
I got the tram from Rochdale the other week and the Revenue were on board but craftily didn’t make their presence felt until it was underway and halfway up Drake Street!
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 13:41 - Jul 11 with 1303 viewswatford_dale

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 19:45 - Jul 7 by pioneer

How come anywhere in London you can use tap and go on all forms of public transport but not outside London? (rhetorical question of course).

That is because Transport For London has has rolled out this technology in their area. Watford is in tfl zone and can tap in and out but if you went beyond to say Tring you would be expected to have a physical ticket or smartphone ticket for that part of the journey.

The tech is there in Rochdale station already with the yellow touchpad on top of the barrier where you insert your ticket. Just need TFM to roll it out.

G Northern ticket machines never work, love the ticket office, don't own a smartphone, not going through an booking website to pay a fee.

Whilst they are currently manned then there is an element of safety but take that away, what will happen?
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 14:21 - Jul 11 with 1259 viewsZac_B

I'm very much on the fence with this and unsure what is best. In Littleborough, for example, it has always seemed strange to me that a ticket office could be open part-time.

When I head to the office, it isn't yet open and anyone needing a ticket office in the afternoon in Littleborough won't find one...so what is the point of having one at all?

But then again, when I needed a System One pass which would allow me to travel to Manchester via train and then beyond via Metrolink, I needed the office as the machine doesn't sell that ticket. That in itself is rather naughty, as many people would just use the machine and not realise they could save a small fortune asking for a specific travel card, as opposed to buying separate train and Metrolink tickets.

If Littleborough ticket office closes, then why should I then have to buy two tickets at greater expense as the machine doesn't sell that ticket?
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 15:16 - Oct 31 with 889 viewssxdale

I see the plan to shut ticket offices has been scrapped and the rail operators are not happy.
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 16:45 - Oct 31 with 791 viewsEllDale

In response to massive feedback during the consultation process apparently.
The fact remains that it is the Treasury who are most unhappy about the u-turn.
They’re desperate to slash subsidies to the train operators and this would have been one way of achieving this.
NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 16:49 - Oct 31 with 787 viewstony_roch975

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 15:16 - Oct 31 by sxdale

I see the plan to shut ticket offices has been scrapped and the rail operators are not happy.

a rare victory for the little man and woman customer /citizen over egregious privatisation

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 18:47 - Oct 31 with 703 viewsYadHoDale

NFR Petition against ticket office closures on 16:45 - Oct 31 by EllDale

In response to massive feedback during the consultation process apparently.
The fact remains that it is the Treasury who are most unhappy about the u-turn.
They’re desperate to slash subsidies to the train operators and this would have been one way of achieving this.

Whilst there are no quick fixes to Britain's current woes, reassigning the senior civil servants from HM Treasury to Sellafield to clean spent nuclear power rods with their toothbrushes would probably be a starting point...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024