Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans women go semi pro 10:10 - Aug 16 with 4408 viewsKeithHaynes

OS

Eleven Swansea City Women players have been handed the club's first semi-professional contracts ahead of the 2023-24 season.

Swansea City will move from an amateur to semi-pro set-up, with the aim of continuing to grow the women’s game and raise standards in our community and wider region.

Further contract announcements will follow in due course, but the club can confirm a number of players within the Swans squad have put pen to paper on semi-professional deals.

They are captain Katy Hosford, Monet Legall, Claire Skinner, Ellie Lake, Alicia Powe, Nieve Jenkins, Chloe Chivers, Stacey John-Davis, Rachel Cullen, Lucy Finch and Jess Williams.

Skipper Hosford believes the move to semi-professional status represents a significant step forward for the women’s game in Swansea, and Wales.

“It’s amazing. It’s something we’ve all wished for and hoped for over a long time,” she said.

“Personally, I’m delighted and can’t wait to get started.

“The club has made massive strides from 10 years ago when I joined. Back then we’d have one piece of kit and we would be training and playing on a really bobbly pitch.

“Now we’ve got amazing facilities, and we get the chance to play at the Swansea.com Stadium.

“Everything is there for us, and we’ve come such a long way and to get semi-professional contracts is the icing on the cake.

“Hopefully now, young girls playing football in Swansea can have something to aspire to.”

Andy Coleman
Swansea City chairman Andy Coleman said: “This is a seminal moment for our club and our players, and something everyone here is very excited and passionate about.

“We are committed to helping grow the women’s game here in Wales and to push our players to new levels.

“I also want Swansea City Women to inspire and provide real opportunities for the next generation of girls in our local community to play football.

“This is deeply personal for me. I am the father of four wonderful daughters, the husband of an incredibly successful woman, the son of a strong mother, and the brother to two high-achieving sisters. I have witnessed the obstacles that each of them has overcome and it is our responsibility as a club to level the playing field for our women’s team.

“I will be personally overseeing the women’s team in my role as chairman, and I will not consider my tenure at Swansea City a success unless we have made a significant and positive impact on women’s and girls’ football in our community and across Wales.”

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swans women go semi pro on 14:54 - Aug 17 with 1077 viewsReslovenSwan1

Mr Coleman said this.

“I will be personally overseeing the women’s team in my role as chairman, and I will not consider my tenure at Swansea City a success unless we have made a significant and positive impact on women’s and girls’ football in our community and across Wales.”

Mr Coleman it seems to me is taking on responsibilities well beyond his remit like women's football in Anglesey. What for? This is the job of the FAW. . What about the academy? downgraded three year ago. No sign of joining the English system from this statement. Is it feasible to see 5000 paying fans at the stadium? Any TV deal pending with BBC Wales and S4C?

How much will it cost £0.5m £1m £2m per annum? Any contribution from the SCST 11% shareholder?

Is the club giving up on the Premier league and becoming a PR savvy advertising operation happy to stay in the EFL and just about break even by player trading.?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Swans women go semi pro on 15:42 - Aug 17 with 1042 viewsKilkennyjack

Swans women go semi pro on 06:42 - Aug 17 by ARQS

Does anyone know what the clubs long term goal is with the womens team? Are they eyeing a move to the English system? Is that even possible (I guess so seeing as Cardiff play in it)

It seems that they’ve pretty much hit their ceiling in terms of the welsh system now.

The Cardiff City womens team play in the same league as Swans.

Beware of the Risen People

Swans women go semi pro on 15:52 - Aug 17 with 1024 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 14:54 - Aug 17 by ReslovenSwan1

Mr Coleman said this.

Mr Coleman it seems to me is taking on responsibilities well beyond his remit like women's football in Anglesey. What for? This is the job of the FAW. . What about the academy? downgraded three year ago. No sign of joining the English system from this statement. Is it feasible to see 5000 paying fans at the stadium? Any TV deal pending with BBC Wales and S4C?

How much will it cost £0.5m £1m £2m per annum? Any contribution from the SCST 11% shareholder?

Is the club giving up on the Premier league and becoming a PR savvy advertising operation happy to stay in the EFL and just about break even by player trading.?

As you're mentioning money do you need reminding why the Club forgo Cagatgory 1 status ,the Academy teams play occasionally in the stadium. And yet another swipe at the Trust I see ,something which is now bordering on an obsession

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swans women go semi pro on 16:01 - Aug 17 with 1019 viewsshaggyrogers

Swans women go semi pro on 15:42 - Aug 17 by Kilkennyjack

The Cardiff City womens team play in the same league as Swans.

There are 2 cardiff teams. The women play in the same league as us and are part of the main club.

Cardiff ladies play in the English pyramid.
Swans women go semi pro on 16:41 - Aug 17 with 998 viewsshaggyrogers

Swans women go semi pro on 15:59 - Aug 16 by EagleEye

Their results have been pretty decent whenever I have taken notice.

So are they going to be a self financing autonomous entity or are they dipping in to money taken from the club paid for by season ticket holders, sponsors, tv money etc. ?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 15:59]

I can give a little bit of clarity on this. At present they have gates of 50 -100 people generally and there is no charge to watch. I'm guessing the club will want more games at the stadium bringing bigger crowds and they will be charged. Only a guess.

This team has been very successful winning the league 3 times in the last 4 years but not much changes i don't think for now other than they are going semi pro. I was told that they were going semi pro anyway even if they hadn't been taken into the club so they must have had the funds to be able to do so or perhaps the sellout dineen was funded it. Anyway he presided over a very successful era for the ladies and hopefully they will push on further from here. I just can't see how they progress unless they leave the welsh league.
Swans women go semi pro on 17:16 - Aug 17 with 988 viewsEagleEye

Swans women go semi pro on 16:41 - Aug 17 by shaggyrogers

I can give a little bit of clarity on this. At present they have gates of 50 -100 people generally and there is no charge to watch. I'm guessing the club will want more games at the stadium bringing bigger crowds and they will be charged. Only a guess.

This team has been very successful winning the league 3 times in the last 4 years but not much changes i don't think for now other than they are going semi pro. I was told that they were going semi pro anyway even if they hadn't been taken into the club so they must have had the funds to be able to do so or perhaps the sellout dineen was funded it. Anyway he presided over a very successful era for the ladies and hopefully they will push on further from here. I just can't see how they progress unless they leave the welsh league.

That’s really good background information & detail, thank you for sharing. It’s good to see that the club is supporting opportunities for the women’s game to flourish in this part of the country.

There has been a tidal wave of support across the border for the women’s game ever since England women won the Euros. Exciting times for all those in the current Swans set up & all those girls in the area with aspirations for a future in the game. With club publicity we will all be watching a bit closer now, onwards & upwards hopefully
Swans women go semi pro on 18:12 - Aug 17 with 971 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swans women go semi pro on 15:52 - Aug 17 by Boundy

As you're mentioning money do you need reminding why the Club forgo Cagatgory 1 status ,the Academy teams play occasionally in the stadium. And yet another swipe at the Trust I see ,something which is now bordering on an obsession

What swipe was that then? I just asked if they were making contribution. Perhaps it is you that is paranoid.?

The club gave up Cat 1 status due to shortage of cash. The academy funded could have been ring fenced and an attempt made to make it sustainable.

It seems there is cash for the women's team which it seems to me very unlikely will ever be sustainable.

Exeter City Trust directly funds the football team . If you look them up they have GIVEN £1.75m to the club for day to day running since inception 20 years ago. SCST is a net receiver of cash £600k from the club.

Now Swansea city is majority owned by very rich US owners. The Trust argues it cannot fund the club at all. So what can they contribute to? Bingo the Swansea women's Team.

While doing this the might actually find a credible purpose in life. Currently their money is working for Santander Bank. The bank is loaning their money out and receiving interest from it. The SCST might get a fig roll and a coffee off them.

If they part funded the women's team with say £30k a year than would shut me up and I might even consider joining. At present there is no chance .

All they will do with my £10 is devalue it to £9 over one year and give Santander the benefits of my money. Greasing the palms of bankers is something I prefer to avoid where possible.
If my £10 is going to the women's team then that is different. why not make it £20 and aim for 1500 members with the Trust logo on the Women's team shirt?

The Trust fell onto the "nest egg" idea after 2016 when they had to start thinking. In 2002 -2022 inflation was around 2%. The world has changed and has been up to 10% in the last year now about 7%. So what are they going to do about it?

If it is nothing it is better for them to fund things like Exeter City do. Perhaps a announcement is pending?

The so called 'sellouts' have been taking care of the bills for the women's team and sponsoring kit and the stadium. Time for the name calling hiding wimps to stand up and be counted.

If you want ideas come to the trees above Resolven. Ideal for thinking in peace.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 18:21]

Swans women go semi pro on 18:20 - Aug 17 with 968 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 18:12 - Aug 17 by ReslovenSwan1

What swipe was that then? I just asked if they were making contribution. Perhaps it is you that is paranoid.?

The club gave up Cat 1 status due to shortage of cash. The academy funded could have been ring fenced and an attempt made to make it sustainable.

It seems there is cash for the women's team which it seems to me very unlikely will ever be sustainable.

Exeter City Trust directly funds the football team . If you look them up they have GIVEN £1.75m to the club for day to day running since inception 20 years ago. SCST is a net receiver of cash £600k from the club.

Now Swansea city is majority owned by very rich US owners. The Trust argues it cannot fund the club at all. So what can they contribute to? Bingo the Swansea women's Team.

While doing this the might actually find a credible purpose in life. Currently their money is working for Santander Bank. The bank is loaning their money out and receiving interest from it. The SCST might get a fig roll and a coffee off them.

If they part funded the women's team with say £30k a year than would shut me up and I might even consider joining. At present there is no chance .

All they will do with my £10 is devalue it to £9 over one year and give Santander the benefits of my money. Greasing the palms of bankers is something I prefer to avoid where possible.
If my £10 is going to the women's team then that is different. why not make it £20 and aim for 1500 members with the Trust logo on the Women's team shirt?

The Trust fell onto the "nest egg" idea after 2016 when they had to start thinking. In 2002 -2022 inflation was around 2%. The world has changed and has been up to 10% in the last year now about 7%. So what are they going to do about it?

If it is nothing it is better for them to fund things like Exeter City do. Perhaps a announcement is pending?

The so called 'sellouts' have been taking care of the bills for the women's team and sponsoring kit and the stadium. Time for the name calling hiding wimps to stand up and be counted.

If you want ideas come to the trees above Resolven. Ideal for thinking in peace.

You'r on about the trust AGAIN. That's another thread heading for the bin.
Login to get fewer ads

Swans women go semi pro on 18:30 - Aug 17 with 960 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swans women go semi pro on 18:20 - Aug 17 by SullutaCreturned

I am proposing the Trust consider part funding the WOMEN'S TEAM. Exeter city which is much smaller than Swansea have see their Trust fund the men's team to the tune of £1.75m over 20 year. This is all their members subscription 3000 member paying £25. Why not SCST?

The reason is they do not like spending money on the club. Their biggest investment is London lawyers and London finacial services organisations.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 18:42]

Swans women go semi pro on 18:43 - Aug 17 with 946 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 18:30 - Aug 17 by ReslovenSwan1

I am proposing the Trust consider part funding the WOMEN'S TEAM. Exeter city which is much smaller than Swansea have see their Trust fund the men's team to the tune of £1.75m over 20 year. This is all their members subscription 3000 member paying £25. Why not SCST?

The reason is they do not like spending money on the club. Their biggest investment is London lawyers and London finacial services organisations.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 18:42]

What about the middle bit? And your last 2 sentences here?

You suggest the part funding as a way to give you an excuse to have another crack at the trust.

You are obsessed.
Swans women go semi pro on 20:15 - Aug 17 with 919 viewsmax936

Swans women go semi pro on 18:20 - Aug 17 by SullutaCreturned

you got more patience than me Cat fair play.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swans women go semi pro on 20:22 - Aug 17 with 917 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 18:12 - Aug 17 by ReslovenSwan1

In response to your last paragraph, no thanks me and apes are not compatible

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swans women go semi pro on 22:33 - Aug 17 with 874 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swans women go semi pro on 20:15 - Aug 17 by max936

Put me on ignore then fire pot shots from a safe distance. What a wimp.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 16:03]

Swans women go semi pro on 22:52 - Aug 17 with 871 viewsKilkennyjack

Swans women go semi pro on 16:01 - Aug 17 by shaggyrogers

There are 2 cardiff teams. The women play in the same league as us and are part of the main club.

Cardiff ladies play in the English pyramid.

As Swans fans our only interest is in Cardiff City ladies.
As i said, they both play in the welsh system, hence the welsh derby days.

Not sure anyone cares about any other womens team from Cardiff tbh.
But good luck to whoever they might be …

Swans women go semi pro on 09:53 - Aug 18 with 821 viewsshaggyrogers

Swans women go semi pro on 22:52 - Aug 17 by Kilkennyjack

You will be interested in Cardiff women then. They are in our league. The ladies play in the english league :-)
Swans women go semi pro on 10:15 - Aug 18 with 801 viewsWhiterockin

Swans women go semi pro on 09:53 - Aug 18 by shaggyrogers

You will be interested in Cardiff women then. They are in our league. The ladies play in the english league :-)

Never try and argue an agenda with someone who is far more knowledgeable on the subject

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Swans women go semi pro on 10:22 - Aug 18 with 789 viewsraynor94

Swans women go semi pro on 09:53 - Aug 18 by shaggyrogers

Hard to educate Pork!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swans women go semi pro on 11:41 - Aug 18 with 757 viewsshaggyrogers

Swans women go semi pro on 18:23 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

My grand daughter has just signed semi pro forms for the Swans Ladies.

Is that Steph Turner ?

They have brought in some quality players this summer . I'm guessing they waited for the club announcement the other day before announcing the signings.

Chloe Bull has just been announced. She is a brilliant signing
Swans women go semi pro on 14:23 - Aug 18 with 711 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans women go semi pro on 11:41 - Aug 18 by shaggyrogers

Is that Steph Turner ?

They have brought in some quality players this summer . I'm guessing they waited for the club announcement the other day before announcing the signings.

Chloe Bull has just been announced. She is a brilliant signing

No 4

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swans women go semi pro on 16:55 - Aug 18 with 673 viewsARQS

Swans women go semi pro on 22:52 - Aug 17 by Kilkennyjack

Well presumably the better Cardiff women's players play in the team in the English pyramid. Albeit I don't know how it works.

There must be a reason why the club are investing in the women's team. It would seem unlikely that they're doing it to just win the Welsh league year after year which they are doing anyway.
Swans women go semi pro on 20:27 - Aug 18 with 633 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 20:15 - Aug 17 by max936

Actually, I think I'm becoming obsessed
Swans women go semi pro on 16:51 - Sep 3 with 538 viewsKilkennyjack

Swans women go semi pro on 16:55 - Aug 18 by ARQS

Well presumably the better Cardiff women's players play in the team in the English pyramid. Albeit I don't know how it works.

There must be a reason why the club are investing in the women's team. It would seem unlikely that they're doing it to just win the Welsh league year after year which they are doing anyway.

Swansea City womens team have only ever won the welsh cup 3 times.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024