Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boreham Wood at home take 3! 17:27 - Apr 16 with 6446 viewsdaz

No match thread as yet for tonight!!

Anyway I have a spare ticket for the main stand if anyone wants it.

Just send me a message and I can meet outside turnstiles to hand it over.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 13:16 - Apr 17 with 2124 viewsEllDale

I still maintain that one of the turning points of the season was Clayton’s injury versus York.
It left us light in midfield and he was never adequately replaced.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 13:33 - Apr 17 with 2033 viewsD_Alien

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 12:31 - Apr 17 by Trev

All I really want is to enjoy going to games again. The NL gives us ample opportunity to do this as we should be winning more games than we lose, particularly at home. But, for the most part, win, lose or draw we have been awful to watch. A few people have commented that we have arrested the slide but what we haven't changed is our dull, uninspiring overarching 'philosophy'.

My wish list is clear; the Ogden takeover goes through and we start to make real attempts to become self sufficient as a football club. Hand in hand with this, though, needs to be a change at board room and management level. I noted that SG is recruiting a head of commercial / commercial director and do have concerns with regards him being given free rein to do this. Let's get a proper clean slate and start again.

This is precisely what is needed

Surely, the last 3 years would've jaded the appetite of anyone as chairman, let alone someone 'encouraged' into a role he didn't understand (self-admittedly, btw)

A new chairman and refreshed boardroom is the absolute minimum bedrock upon which the future of Dale could be built. To that end, i'm not sure SG's the right person to be overseeing the recruitment of such a vital role, having little background in or apparent insight into what's required

All such appointments, whilst vital, should await the outcome of due process with the Ogdens. The only exception would be if SG has already agreed not to be part of the recruitment process other than advertising it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 14:56 - Apr 17 with 1870 views49thseason

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 13:33 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

This is precisely what is needed

Surely, the last 3 years would've jaded the appetite of anyone as chairman, let alone someone 'encouraged' into a role he didn't understand (self-admittedly, btw)

A new chairman and refreshed boardroom is the absolute minimum bedrock upon which the future of Dale could be built. To that end, i'm not sure SG's the right person to be overseeing the recruitment of such a vital role, having little background in or apparent insight into what's required

All such appointments, whilst vital, should await the outcome of due process with the Ogdens. The only exception would be if SG has already agreed not to be part of the recruitment process other than advertising it

I think SG will continue as Chairman, but I suspect he now realises he needs help. A new Commercial Director and a Director of Football would be the minimum in addition to a couple of Ogden representatives.

I rather hope we can find a commercial director from another industry rather than from a football background, I think we need a much wider skill set than a lottery manager at a L1 club or a social media manager from a Prem club, we need someone with a wide business background including print and online media, PR, and responsibility for developing off pitch profits. Its a huge job but vital to the club and getting it right is a challenge but one of the Ogden brothers is involved in recruitment, albeit the Texas oil industry, so, who knows, maybe there is a Texan who could bring some can-do attitude and innovation....

I am encouraged that conversations have taken place with politicians, and the likes of the Rochdale Development Agency, clearly they are taking a much wider view of where support can come from... or not!

The club needs refreshing from top to bottom and running like a proper business that sees profits as a really good idea, finding more of those profits somewhere other than the 23+ matchdays will be the challenge. A successful football club with significant community outreach programmes could be a major step forwards for the whole town. Its not often these opportunities arrive. I just hope everyone feels able to get on board rather than sniping from the wings or playing political games.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 15:44 - Apr 17 with 1751 viewsD_Alien

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 14:56 - Apr 17 by 49thseason

I think SG will continue as Chairman, but I suspect he now realises he needs help. A new Commercial Director and a Director of Football would be the minimum in addition to a couple of Ogden representatives.

I rather hope we can find a commercial director from another industry rather than from a football background, I think we need a much wider skill set than a lottery manager at a L1 club or a social media manager from a Prem club, we need someone with a wide business background including print and online media, PR, and responsibility for developing off pitch profits. Its a huge job but vital to the club and getting it right is a challenge but one of the Ogden brothers is involved in recruitment, albeit the Texas oil industry, so, who knows, maybe there is a Texan who could bring some can-do attitude and innovation....

I am encouraged that conversations have taken place with politicians, and the likes of the Rochdale Development Agency, clearly they are taking a much wider view of where support can come from... or not!

The club needs refreshing from top to bottom and running like a proper business that sees profits as a really good idea, finding more of those profits somewhere other than the 23+ matchdays will be the challenge. A successful football club with significant community outreach programmes could be a major step forwards for the whole town. Its not often these opportunities arrive. I just hope everyone feels able to get on board rather than sniping from the wings or playing political games.

I'd agree with much of that, but just to clarify: do you think he will continue as Chairman or that he should continue in that role?

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 17:07 - Apr 17 with 1524 views49thseason

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 15:44 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

I'd agree with much of that, but just to clarify: do you think he will continue as Chairman or that he should continue in that role?

I am not worried about him continuing if he wants to, the role will become easier and he will still hold a huge number of shares and loans so I think his views are worth considering. The power will lie with the Ogdens and they will make the big decisions but on balance I would rather have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in....If the Ogdens can get us running properly, I don't have any particular worries about him continuing. Running a failing business is a really difficult job and I have seen it break tougher men than Simon, the stress he was under was obvious to anyone who cared to look, and he is not getting his money back unless the club is in very good shape, so in that sense it probably depends most on how he gels with the new owners, who may want a change of Chairman but still keep Simon on the Board. At the end of the day I dont think anyone has deliberately set out to harm the club, decisions had to be made and as ever, they look different with the benefit of hindsight, The circumstances of the last few years have been unprecedented and it may be that other decisions may have brought better outcomes , we will never know, but there is no guarantee. At least he made decisions when many would have bottled it and didn't hide from making them and for that alone I think he has something to offer. " Any decision is better than no decision"
https://www.entrepreneur.com/leadership/a-bad-decision-is-better-than-no-decisio
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:02 - Apr 17 with 1385 viewsDale_4_Life

The commercial director signing could be the most important of the summer. The right one will not be cheap but could be the best signing made in a long time. Commercially we need to be 2024/25 ready just as much as on the field. The right person needs to be a ruthless type who lives and breathes success always moving the club forward.

Onto Jim.

Nice Fella, Dale through and through and he stepped up in our hour of need. We cant have death by a thousand cuts on the pitch next season this is the most boring negative insipid football i have seen at Dale since the bad days of the mid 80,s.

I am sorry Jim whilst i agree we dominated (a poor opposition) last night we dominated possession only using negative boring style of football and never looked like winning. If this is allowed to carry on next season will see the exodus continue. Somebody needs to sit Jim down and ask him has he another plan on how to play quicker more attractive football that will actually excite the dwindling few who attend. Its dire make no mistake and that is from somebody who likes Jim, appreciates what he has done and more than anything wants him to succeed.

The last two home games against relegation fodder we managed 1 point and 1 goal in 180 minutes of football. Two home games when we were safe and it would have been a free hit to take some risks, get on the front foot and see if a faster / simpler more direct style got a different result!

what a mess to unravel... Huge decisons to be made.

Jim - FFS have a go on the front foot on Saturday!!!
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:03 - Apr 17 with 1382 viewsD_Alien

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 17:07 - Apr 17 by 49thseason

I am not worried about him continuing if he wants to, the role will become easier and he will still hold a huge number of shares and loans so I think his views are worth considering. The power will lie with the Ogdens and they will make the big decisions but on balance I would rather have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in....If the Ogdens can get us running properly, I don't have any particular worries about him continuing. Running a failing business is a really difficult job and I have seen it break tougher men than Simon, the stress he was under was obvious to anyone who cared to look, and he is not getting his money back unless the club is in very good shape, so in that sense it probably depends most on how he gels with the new owners, who may want a change of Chairman but still keep Simon on the Board. At the end of the day I dont think anyone has deliberately set out to harm the club, decisions had to be made and as ever, they look different with the benefit of hindsight, The circumstances of the last few years have been unprecedented and it may be that other decisions may have brought better outcomes , we will never know, but there is no guarantee. At least he made decisions when many would have bottled it and didn't hide from making them and for that alone I think he has something to offer. " Any decision is better than no decision"
https://www.entrepreneur.com/leadership/a-bad-decision-is-better-than-no-decisio

That's a fair enough point of view

Rather than having to piss in or out though, surely the better solution would be to reach an agreement with the Ogdens that enables him to exit with a decent chunk of his money back and make way for a new broom
[Post edited 17 Apr 18:04]

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:15 - Apr 17 with 1338 viewswatford_dale

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 15:44 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

No he should definitely NOT continue in the role. He has demonstrated that he is not fit for purpose and I hope that SPO can see that. It was under the current boards watch that we didn't nearly make the end of the season financially and the decision to pay of some loans and not ensure we had the money to complete the season is not the skill set you want in the board room.

New board, new manager, new playing style are required or the 1700 attendances will become the new normal. Which may be compounded with the inevitable ticket price rise ahead of the new season.
Login to get fewer ads

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:18 - Apr 17 with 1330 views49thseason

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:03 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

That's a fair enough point of view

Rather than having to piss in or out though, surely the better solution would be to reach an agreement with the Ogdens that enables him to exit with a decent chunk of his money back and make way for a new broom
[Post edited 17 Apr 18:04]

I dont think the Ogdens will be bailing anyone out. Their money is there to support the club not go outside the club into private pockets. The best Simon and the current BoD can hope for is that the team is successful and the value of the club appreciates to the point where more, new investors might be tempted to come on board by buying them out and putting money into the club at the same time. I have no doubt the Ogdens know lots of high net-worth individuals who might become interested with time. All this is way into the future and very uncertain, so maybe the loans will be repaid at some point but at the moment there are more urgent matters to fix and its hard to imagine the club repaying loans before improving other aspects of the club.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:34 - Apr 17 with 1269 viewsD_Alien

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 18:18 - Apr 17 by 49thseason

I dont think the Ogdens will be bailing anyone out. Their money is there to support the club not go outside the club into private pockets. The best Simon and the current BoD can hope for is that the team is successful and the value of the club appreciates to the point where more, new investors might be tempted to come on board by buying them out and putting money into the club at the same time. I have no doubt the Ogdens know lots of high net-worth individuals who might become interested with time. All this is way into the future and very uncertain, so maybe the loans will be repaid at some point but at the moment there are more urgent matters to fix and its hard to imagine the club repaying loans before improving other aspects of the club.

We shall see; you may well be right, depending on the initial injection of financial support

Whether it's in the immediate or medium term, new leadership is required, so let's keep that to the forefront rather than looking for reasons why it mightn't happen right now

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 19:16 - Apr 17 with 1148 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 13:16 - Apr 17 by EllDale

I still maintain that one of the turning points of the season was Clayton’s injury versus York.
It left us light in midfield and he was never adequately replaced.

That's true, with East and Gilmore in support Clayton controlled our midfield and gave us some bite, which we have sadly missed since before Christmas. A few seats on the bench are all we had to show since.

What happens next season, is he fit enough?
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 19:23 - Apr 17 with 1134 viewsEllDale

I doubt it unfortunately which is a shame as I think he was a real influence off the pitch as well.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 20:55 - Apr 17 with 930 viewsturnthescrew

There MUST be a change of Chairman. I cannot forgive his spiteful outburst at the EGM where he threatened to turn the Press on to anyone who voted against the proposals, (if they carried) and threatened to 'pull' the home fixture on the Saturday. Disgraceful conduct No apology has ever been forthcoming, which says everything and I shall never trust him again.

Having heard other tales of his peevish conduct (ask Hornets) and other unacceptable comments, I'm afraid he's not fit or responsible to hold that position.

Additionally, he has no credentials to hold a Chairmanship of a football club, no relevant experience and to be blunt, no bloody idea what he's doing. Imperative that he's replaced as soon as is practicable.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 22:11 - Apr 17 with 782 viewswheniwasyourage

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 20:55 - Apr 17 by turnthescrew

There MUST be a change of Chairman. I cannot forgive his spiteful outburst at the EGM where he threatened to turn the Press on to anyone who voted against the proposals, (if they carried) and threatened to 'pull' the home fixture on the Saturday. Disgraceful conduct No apology has ever been forthcoming, which says everything and I shall never trust him again.

Having heard other tales of his peevish conduct (ask Hornets) and other unacceptable comments, I'm afraid he's not fit or responsible to hold that position.

Additionally, he has no credentials to hold a Chairmanship of a football club, no relevant experience and to be blunt, no bloody idea what he's doing. Imperative that he's replaced as soon as is practicable.

SG would never be the chairperson of anything based on his profile and experience. No debate on this.

He is a good man, should be remembered fondly for saving the club

If he hangs on, he will cause more issues and be remembered in a poor light.

SG - Job done sir, thankyou but a wise person would move on now.
Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 23:03 - Apr 17 with 682 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Boreham Wood at home take 3! on 22:11 - Apr 17 by wheniwasyourage

SG would never be the chairperson of anything based on his profile and experience. No debate on this.

He is a good man, should be remembered fondly for saving the club

If he hangs on, he will cause more issues and be remembered in a poor light.

SG - Job done sir, thankyou but a wise person would move on now.

Agree, SG did save the Club, all well documented but we need someone who is a tad more diplomatic at the helm of The Good Ship Dale. He aint the man....but thanks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024