Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeeping Options 11:20 - May 29 with 1762 viewsSaintNick

Some options and their values

Kelleher - Liverpool £20 million

David De Gea Free agent

Ramsdale Arsenal £20 million

Dean Henderson £10 million

James Trafford Burnley £5 million

Worth looking at some of these

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Goalkeeping Options on 11:29 - May 29 with 1725 viewssaints__fan__73

The problem with this is that Martin is very stuck in his views on everything and, from his strong feelings towards fans on this subject that he expressed at the fan's forum, is clear he absolutely loves Bazunu and won't have a word said against him.

This could well mean he views Bazunu as his No1 keeper and will not be looking for a number 1 PL level keeper, but instead, someone who can do a job until Feb when Bazunu is fit.

The issue with this could well be that, if he does this, Martin will be sacked long before Bazunu is fit...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Goalkeeping Options on 11:32 - May 29 with 1720 viewsPatfromPoole

Where do you get these values from???

How is Kelleher worth more than Dean Henderson and worth the same as Ramsdale???

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Goalkeeping Options on 11:43 - May 29 with 1706 viewsButty101

Goalkeeping Options on 11:32 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

How is Kelleher worth more than Dean Henderson and worth the same as Ramsdale???

Nick has his Liverpool connections dont you know

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Goalkeeping Options on 11:55 - May 29 with 1672 viewsSaintNick

Goalkeeping Options on 11:32 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

They are all subjective, it is about what someone is willing to pay, but here is the site

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/marktwerte/wettbewerb/GB1/plus//g

Goalkeeping Options on 13:24 - May 29 with 1581 viewsNYC_Saint

Goalkeeping Options on 11:29 - May 29 by saints__fan__73

The problem with this is that Martin is very stuck in his views on everything and, from his strong feelings towards fans on this subject that he expressed at the fan's forum, is clear he absolutely loves Bazunu and won't have a word said against him.

This could well mean he views Bazunu as his No1 keeper and will not be looking for a number 1 PL level keeper, but instead, someone who can do a job until Feb when Bazunu is fit.

The issue with this could well be that, if he does this, Martin will be sacked long before Bazunu is fit...

He is a super positive person and that is his leadership style. Anything other than a glowing description would be a signal you're out of favor. I think (but proabbaly it's more of a hope) he was keeping a positive spin on who he saw as his best of a bad choice in goal. It's clear that AM helped us into the premier league and was proabably playing for his next (and final big one) contract. With Wilcox moving on, I hope our obsession with man city u21 goalies burns out too - I know it predated him but it's been a woeful strategy so far.

Dean Henderson or Aaron Ramsdale would off the experience and solidity at the back that would allow the football RM wants to play even if they aren't the most gifted with their feet. If we could get either at the prices above we should bite their hands off. Given we threw close to 20 mn at Onachu and Sulemana, surely this would be a clear and sensible path to take. Also Bazunu would develop well behind the likes of one of these and may well prove himself a first choice in the future
Goalkeeping Options on 13:51 - May 29 with 1545 viewsSFC_Referee

Kelleher- he’s behind Bazunu for the Ireland squad, so unless we wanted a downgrade on Bazunu and someone to only be in goal until Bazunu’s back, then that’s certainly a no.

De Gea- certainly got the experience and back in his day was a world class keeper, but at the same time he left Man U because he was past his prime, and therefore would only be an option for a season or two. So may be good for helping Bazunu to develop and would be a cheap option, but wouldn’t be for that long and could be a bit of a risk.

Ramsdale- by far the best available goalie in the prem right now, and if we have the money available would 100% be my first pick for goalie, but the problem would be would he wanna join us, and would his price and wages be too much? As he ticks all the boxes for age, experience and quality, but it’s just the money side of things that could be the issue…

Henderson- after Ramsdale is probably our best shout, yet price and wages wouldn’t be as much of an issue for him as it is for Ramsdale. As he may not be as good as Ramsdale but still has the experience and is prem quality, so would also be a good signing and would be a new number 1, and with his age could be around for a while. Although the main issue with him is would he join? As him and Sam Johnstone have been rotating due to injuries and other factors, to a point in which there is no designated clear number 1 keeper, so if he ain’t theirs and Johnstone will be their main one, then yeah we can probably get him, whilst if he’s gonna be their main man in goal next season, then I struggle to see us getting him.

Trafford- preferably not, as he very much reminds me of Bazunu for how many Burnley fans rate him, how young and inexperienced he is, and the fact that he was dropped by Kompany by the end of the season certainly ain’t suggesting the best of things… so probably best to avoid him

So in conclusion I’d probably say there’s only about 3 decent options we’ve got here if we are only going for goalies with prem experience who are available right now.

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

Goalkeeping Options on 14:19 - May 29 with 1512 viewsDorsetIan

Goalkeeping Options on 13:24 - May 29 by NYC_Saint

He is a super positive person and that is his leadership style. Anything other than a glowing description would be a signal you're out of favor. I think (but proabbaly it's more of a hope) he was keeping a positive spin on who he saw as his best of a bad choice in goal. It's clear that AM helped us into the premier league and was proabably playing for his next (and final big one) contract. With Wilcox moving on, I hope our obsession with man city u21 goalies burns out too - I know it predated him but it's been a woeful strategy so far.

Dean Henderson or Aaron Ramsdale would off the experience and solidity at the back that would allow the football RM wants to play even if they aren't the most gifted with their feet. If we could get either at the prices above we should bite their hands off. Given we threw close to 20 mn at Onachu and Sulemana, surely this would be a clear and sensible path to take. Also Bazunu would develop well behind the likes of one of these and may well prove himself a first choice in the future

I agree. RM was bigging up Bazuna because he was stuck with him.

But he will know that Bazzuna didn't cut it in the Prem last time and, for me, he hasn't shown enough improvement to have another go (just yet).

It's going to be hard enough back in the Prem without a flakey goalkeeper gifting the opposition easy goals.

And that goes for McCarthy too. He can leave on a high now. His recent performances should be enough to get him a No.1 slot in another Championship side.

But we will need a keeper with good feet if RM wants to continue to play the same way.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Goalkeeping Options on 02:26 - May 30 with 1351 viewsScoot

Any of the above for the money asked except Keller who I wouldn't give you a fiver for.

Poll: Should NJ go?

Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeeping Options on 04:23 - May 30 with 1331 viewssaint22

Ramsdale Henderson or Trafford but we need to act fast which isn’t something we ever do really
Goalkeeping Options on 05:14 - May 30 with 1326 viewsareasix

Any one know how good Lis is as we signed him last year and as we had had no option but send him out on loan until Alex Mc contract ran out because of the wages he was on let’s not forget that one signing of a experienced Prem keeper , Lis and Baz might just sort it for us.
Goalkeeping Options on 08:26 - May 30 with 1270 viewsButty101

Goalkeeping Options on 05:14 - May 30 by areasix

Any one know how good Lis is as we signed him last year and as we had had no option but send him out on loan until Alex Mc contract ran out because of the wages he was on let’s not forget that one signing of a experienced Prem keeper , Lis and Baz might just sort it for us.

Apparently Lis has signed permanently for Goztepe and Mara might be joining him on loan.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Goalkeeping Options on 08:42 - May 30 with 1255 viewsareasix

What was the point of signing Lis or was it a bit of a fiddle on two of club SRs financial books. He kept 20 clean sheets and got promoted with the Turkish side.
Any idea how much they paid for him to add to our coffers as I hadn’t heard he had been sold to them.
Goalkeeping Options on 10:55 - May 30 with 1215 viewsPatfromPoole

Goalkeeping Options on 08:26 - May 30 by Butty101

Apparently Lis has signed permanently for Goztepe and Mara might be joining him on loan.

How much do we have to pay Goztepe?

Goalkeeping Options on 09:37 - May 31 with 1031 viewsSaintNick

Goalkeeping Options on 14:19 - May 29 by DorsetIan

I agree. RM was bigging up Bazuna because he was stuck with him.

But he will know that Bazzuna didn't cut it in the Prem last time and, for me, he hasn't shown enough improvement to have another go (just yet).

It's going to be hard enough back in the Prem without a flakey goalkeeper gifting the opposition easy goals.

And that goes for McCarthy too. He can leave on a high now. His recent performances should be enough to get him a No.1 slot in another Championship side.

But we will need a keeper with good feet if RM wants to continue to play the same way.

I often find it strange that some fans get so het up when the manager sticks up for one of his players, that is his job, to motivate the players, I dont think there is a manager in history that has done that by telling a press conference that one of his team isn't good enough and he is dropping him the moment that he can find a replacement.

Bazunu gets unfair press, he was signed as a 19 year old with just one season in League One behind him, in a team that was vying for promotion, he was given a baptism of fire by finding himself behind what would become the worst defence in the Premier League and an ever changing one at that, the best goalkeeper in the world would have struggled in that situation. When Bazunu was dropped and McCarthy came in nothing changed, in fact it got worse.

This season for a big part of it he was solid as we went on a 22 game unbeaten run, a run that on reading some Saints fans comments on here would seem impossible in hindsight given the number of substandard players we had in the team, Bazunu, Manning, Smallbone and Mara to name just 4.

Bazunu getting injured might be good for him, he must be shellshocked and low on confidence, now he is out of the firing line and can take his time and get his confidence back.

Goalkeepers need time to mature and flourish, there are very few goalkeeper sin the last 30 years that have been first team regulars in the Premier League who are under 23 and even fewer who have gone on to become great keepers, the experience usually knocks their confidence too much.

We need to get in a good keeper with Premier League experience to cover a short term issue, then we can worry about who is the longer term option.

The last time we got promoted Kelvin Davis was the Championship goalkeeper of the year, from the very start and in his first 4 games in the Premier League we conceded 14 goals in 4 straight defeats.

Gazzaniga came in and was ok but clearly not the answer hence we got the out of contract Artur Boruc who had a great season and indeed the following season

Goalkeeping Options on 10:07 - May 31 with 1005 viewssaints__fan__73

Goalkeeping Options on 09:37 - May 31 by SaintNick

I often find it strange that some fans get so het up when the manager sticks up for one of his players, that is his job, to motivate the players, I dont think there is a manager in history that has done that by telling a press conference that one of his team isn't good enough and he is dropping him the moment that he can find a replacement.

Bazunu gets unfair press, he was signed as a 19 year old with just one season in League One behind him, in a team that was vying for promotion, he was given a baptism of fire by finding himself behind what would become the worst defence in the Premier League and an ever changing one at that, the best goalkeeper in the world would have struggled in that situation. When Bazunu was dropped and McCarthy came in nothing changed, in fact it got worse.

This season for a big part of it he was solid as we went on a 22 game unbeaten run, a run that on reading some Saints fans comments on here would seem impossible in hindsight given the number of substandard players we had in the team, Bazunu, Manning, Smallbone and Mara to name just 4.

Bazunu getting injured might be good for him, he must be shellshocked and low on confidence, now he is out of the firing line and can take his time and get his confidence back.

Goalkeepers need time to mature and flourish, there are very few goalkeeper sin the last 30 years that have been first team regulars in the Premier League who are under 23 and even fewer who have gone on to become great keepers, the experience usually knocks their confidence too much.

We need to get in a good keeper with Premier League experience to cover a short term issue, then we can worry about who is the longer term option.

The last time we got promoted Kelvin Davis was the Championship goalkeeper of the year, from the very start and in his first 4 games in the Premier League we conceded 14 goals in 4 straight defeats.

Gazzaniga came in and was ok but clearly not the answer hence we got the out of contract Artur Boruc who had a great season and indeed the following season

The problem with all of that Nick, is that it's all well and good saying we signed a teenaged kid but that is negated by the fact that we paid £10m for him.

It would have costs us far less to sign Leto or Sam Johnstone (who Palace managed to sign as their backup keeper in '22).

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Goalkeeping Options on 10:24 - May 31 with 995 viewsIfonly

Goalkeeping Options on 10:07 - May 31 by saints__fan__73

The problem with all of that Nick, is that it's all well and good saying we signed a teenaged kid but that is negated by the fact that we paid £10m for him.

It would have costs us far less to sign Leto or Sam Johnstone (who Palace managed to sign as their backup keeper in '22).

........and begs the question: so why did we sign an unproven teenager to play in the PL as a goalkeeper, a position where experience is so vital and players don't reach their peak until their 30s?
Goalkeeping Options on 11:26 - May 31 with 975 viewsDorsetIan

Goalkeeping Options on 09:37 - May 31 by SaintNick

Would you really be pleased to see him keeping for us back in the Premier League?

I am not sure he has improved much this season. The problem was always that he makes very few surprising/outstanding saves (some, of course) and there are plenty of saves that he would be expected to make that go in.

His distribution is, though, excellent.

Maybe he will improve. Send him on loan to a Championship side and let them find out first.

Goalkeeping Options on 13:32 - May 31 with 901 viewsNYC_Saint

Goalkeeping Options on 11:26 - May 31 by DorsetIan

Would you really be pleased to see him keeping for us back in the Premier League?

I am not sure he has improved much this season. The problem was always that he makes very few surprising/outstanding saves (some, of course) and there are plenty of saves that he would be expected to make that go in.

His distribution is, though, excellent.

Maybe he will improve. Send him on loan to a Championship side and let them find out first.

I agree that loaning him out when fit is a good option and as he matures he has a good chance of being a first choice. Also agree that RM is hardly going to say he's awful but the best he's got.

My criticism is how he is bad at stopping shots, socially those from distance. The late strike (I think from Dan James again) that was in the bottom right hand corner that AM palmed behind for a corner is the carbon copy of what Bazunu has let in time and again. He has to get better at this type of situation (worryingly it points to his eyesight as he is always getting caught out from distance).

I think we need a new number one keeper for Bazunu to work behind when he's fit.
Goalkeeping Options on 13:53 - May 31 with 890 viewsDorsetIan

Goalkeeping Options on 13:32 - May 31 by NYC_Saint

I agree that loaning him out when fit is a good option and as he matures he has a good chance of being a first choice. Also agree that RM is hardly going to say he's awful but the best he's got.

My criticism is how he is bad at stopping shots, socially those from distance. The late strike (I think from Dan James again) that was in the bottom right hand corner that AM palmed behind for a corner is the carbon copy of what Bazunu has let in time and again. He has to get better at this type of situation (worryingly it points to his eyesight as he is always getting caught out from distance).

I think we need a new number one keeper for Bazunu to work behind when he's fit.

Exactly this about his capacity to let in shots that he should be saving.

We'll never know, but I really don't think it's a given that we would have triumphed in the playoffs had he been in goal for those last few games.

Goalkeeping Options on 15:32 - May 31 with 828 viewssledger

I think wilcox had bazunas back,hes gone,thats bazuna shown up now as a very average keeper
Goalkeeping Options on 15:45 - May 31 with 816 viewsPatfromPoole

Goalkeeping Options on 15:32 - May 31 by sledger

I think wilcox had bazunas back,hes gone,thats bazuna shown up now as a very average keeper

It was Shields who signed Bazunu though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024