Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed 12:17 - Jun 5 with 2008 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Afternoon all,

I've seen some threads prior when people have needed advice so I thought I'd ask for help from the group! My bicycle was stolen from work on Sunday through a fire exit that had been left open. The bike has always been stored in this corridor as its been safer than leaving it outside. I've never locked it(i know this will be my downfall) as their is enough traffic through that corridor normally... and i have no other safe place to store the bike. We have CCTV of a man entering the building and 6 minutes later cycling off with my bike.

I've tried ringing CAB but was on hold for 30 odd minutes. I'm about to ring my home and contents insurer but I've already resigned myself to them not paying out and I don't believe my employer will either even though it was one of their employees that left the fire-door open.

Any advice would be welcome as I'm going to be out of pocket some £900
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 12:30 - Jun 5 with 1905 viewsLandshark

Take it on the chin and move on. It's very unlikely you will get your bike back unfortunately. Invest in a good lock for your next bike, I also learnt this the hard way when my bike wheels got stolen once.

Perhaps the company you work for is in the 'cycle to work' scheme, it would help you getting a bike cheaper that you can pay back monthly.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 12:36 - Jun 5 with 1846 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I would have a look at your policy to see what specific cover you have for your bicycle within your home policy. It might save you a phone call.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 12:37 - Jun 5 with 1839 viewsW12Mikey

Not an insurance expert but I would suggest:
- check your home & contents policy to see if it covers bikes away from home. You would probably have had to ask for that cover specifically. If you do have that cover then be honest with them about the circumstances and see if they will pay out.
- if you can’t get a payout from your own insurer, ask your employer whether their insurance covers employees’ belongings stolen from their premises
- I presume the incident was reported to the police. This will be a requirement for the insurers, and I suppose there is an outside chance they might even recover your bike at some point.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 13:10 - Jun 5 with 1727 viewsconnell10

Happened to me and my firm gave me half towards a new one, which was nice !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 13:41 - Jun 5 with 1657 viewsloftboy

Had a £700 specialized bike stolen from the depot I worked in at Bow in 2019, bloke had to come through security barrier! Sainsbury’s referred me to the small print in my contract which said “ items left at owners risk” despite it being a supposedly secure store.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:08 - Jun 5 with 1496 viewsE17hoop

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 12:36 - Jun 5 by CroydonCaptJack

I would have a look at your policy to see what specific cover you have for your bicycle within your home policy. It might save you a phone call.

Highly recommend this site:
https://www.bikeregister.com/

No money at all to register and protect your bike.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:18 - Jun 5 with 1467 viewsslmrstid

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:08 - Jun 5 by E17hoop

Highly recommend this site:
https://www.bikeregister.com/

No money at all to register and protect your bike.

This, my bike is registered through here, it acts as a huge deterrent to thieves who steal bikes to sell on Gumtree and the like because the stickers on the bike make them much easier to trace back to the original owner (and they are tamperproof so they cant come off). Probably not so much of a deterrent to those stealing to use just the once before dumping in a river mind... but the police have good stats showing how bikes on the register are much much less likely to be stolen because of how easy they are to trace back.

D-lock and cable too, see if your local police station stocks some, in Leicester the city centre police station sell them at a subsidy to help people store their bikes more securely.

Sorry for the loss, hope you manage to get something back though it might be tricky.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:43 - Jun 5 with 1405 viewsizlingtonhoop

I had a bike stolen from outside the canonbury, in 2013.

4 days later a white yoot rode past me on it. I grabbed the saddle said: get off, it's mine.
He jumped off, said something like: I dunno, I just bought it.
I got my bike back....
It's still going well.

...is the short version
Login to get fewer ads

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:47 - Jun 5 with 1382 viewsJuzzie

Does the CCTV show who left the fire escape open?

As well as your bike being stolen it's also compromising the security of the building too.

Maybe the company can contribute/compensate too?
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:57 - Jun 5 with 1347 viewsizlingtonhoop

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 15:18 - Jun 5 by slmrstid

This, my bike is registered through here, it acts as a huge deterrent to thieves who steal bikes to sell on Gumtree and the like because the stickers on the bike make them much easier to trace back to the original owner (and they are tamperproof so they cant come off). Probably not so much of a deterrent to those stealing to use just the once before dumping in a river mind... but the police have good stats showing how bikes on the register are much much less likely to be stolen because of how easy they are to trace back.

D-lock and cable too, see if your local police station stocks some, in Leicester the city centre police station sell them at a subsidy to help people store their bikes more securely.

Sorry for the loss, hope you manage to get something back though it might be tricky.

Sorry.
Downvote clumsy finger
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 16:47 - Jun 6 with 896 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Thank you all for the help and advice, my work although not admitting fault or blame have agreed to contribute £300 to the cost of a new bike so given my pessimism over the situation this is probably the best result i could have hoped for.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 17:02 - Jun 6 with 865 viewskensalriser

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 16:47 - Jun 6 by Welsh_Ranger

Thank you all for the help and advice, my work although not admitting fault or blame have agreed to contribute £300 to the cost of a new bike so given my pessimism over the situation this is probably the best result i could have hoped for.

Better than a poke in the eye. I always lock my bike if I leave it out of reaching distance, never mind eyesight.

Think about getting a used bike, lower value, less nickable.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 00:05 - Jun 7 with 592 viewsjohann28

Hey

I've got a nice mountain bike, free to a fellow R. Pm if you want it.
Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 00:17 - Jun 7 with 579 viewsbob566

Bicycle stolen from work: Advice needed on 16:47 - Jun 6 by Welsh_Ranger

The positive to take from that is they value you as an employee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024