Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO the Guvna …making money in music 16:59 - Jun 26 with 587 viewsonehunglow

A chum of mine ,leader of a big ( ish) 80s band reckoned it’s hard now to earn a good living out of music with so many venues closing
I’m curious as to how you protect the rights to your songs
Is it via Performing Rights people.?
Do you get a fee every time your music is played/ published/ performed

If too personal Keith,DM me

I’ve written songs but never had them “published”

Views?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 17:25 - Jun 26 with 561 viewsKeithHaynes

We have our own publishing company. We track all the platforms but I would suggest employing someone to do it for you. Of course, I wouldn’t bother if it was say 100 downloads a year, but we get far more than that. The best thing to do is open a Bandcamp website and promote from there. FB etc. We are just restructuring ours for a new album release on all formats.

We do receive money from BBC radio but these days it’s negligible. You can have a prime time play of a song and still not get that much. It’s a minefield as well. Your mate needs to review his contracts in the 80’s. Many say record and tape, CD’s were rarely mentioned for royalty purposes, and of course downloads were unheard of. This is a good get out for labels. I played drums for a very big punk band in 1980, the contract was record and tape not cd’s or downloads. The loss of revenue for that band is in the hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Numerous bands have covered our trax, especially in the USA. We see that as an honour so unless it’s a big band we leave that alone. On gigs, the punk scene pretty much looks after itself with a lot of well run venues. Making money from shows is simple, if you can’t pull a crowd you won’t get paid. Or/ we agree a fee beforehand, but again the promoter has to be sure their costs are covered. So a thousand pounds fee can stretch to two grand with PA alights etc if they are not in house. Nobody gets ripped off either way as the venue would get a lot of negative publicity. It’s a big scene overall, bands can still fill venues, and sell out easily even when doing the Academy venues.

If a band has history then there’s plenty out there, just got to be creative and well versed in advertising. Simple as that.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 17:34 - Jun 26 with 550 viewsonehunglow

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 17:25 - Jun 26 by KeithHaynes

We have our own publishing company. We track all the platforms but I would suggest employing someone to do it for you. Of course, I wouldn’t bother if it was say 100 downloads a year, but we get far more than that. The best thing to do is open a Bandcamp website and promote from there. FB etc. We are just restructuring ours for a new album release on all formats.

We do receive money from BBC radio but these days it’s negligible. You can have a prime time play of a song and still not get that much. It’s a minefield as well. Your mate needs to review his contracts in the 80’s. Many say record and tape, CD’s were rarely mentioned for royalty purposes, and of course downloads were unheard of. This is a good get out for labels. I played drums for a very big punk band in 1980, the contract was record and tape not cd’s or downloads. The loss of revenue for that band is in the hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Numerous bands have covered our trax, especially in the USA. We see that as an honour so unless it’s a big band we leave that alone. On gigs, the punk scene pretty much looks after itself with a lot of well run venues. Making money from shows is simple, if you can’t pull a crowd you won’t get paid. Or/ we agree a fee beforehand, but again the promoter has to be sure their costs are covered. So a thousand pounds fee can stretch to two grand with PA alights etc if they are not in house. Nobody gets ripped off either way as the venue would get a lot of negative publicity. It’s a big scene overall, bands can still fill venues, and sell out easily even when doing the Academy venues.

If a band has history then there’s plenty out there, just got to be creative and well versed in advertising. Simple as that.

Thanks for that detailed response
I know businesses that play music have to be licensed and I’m assuming the Perfoming rights people collect the money .
You’re smart ,I “ ll say that for you.

Until you appeared on our horizon,I thought punk had long died
I’m amazed it’s still healthy as at least it has power and conviction and not the turgid dross I see seen as “ great”
I was born very privileged to be born when I was as I truly believe I’ve seen the golden era .
Was there nothing before Elvis?. Was therexxxx
I’m currently digging up boogiecwoogie songs of Lux Meade Lewis and Pete Johnson going back to the 40s
This is why

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 19:26 - Jun 26 with 511 viewsKeithHaynes

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 17:34 - Jun 26 by onehunglow

I know businesses that play music have to be licensed and I’m assuming the Perfoming rights people collect the money .

I’m amazed it’s still healthy as at least it has power and conviction and not the turgid dross I see seen as “ great”
I was born very privileged to be born when I was as I truly believe I’ve seen the golden era .
I’m currently digging up boogiecwoogie songs of Lux Meade Lewis and Pete Johnson going back to the 40s
This is why

Literally thousands of punk bands worldwide, from early teens to late seventies.

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 19:43 - Jun 26 with 497 viewsTogg

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 17:34 - Jun 26 by onehunglow

This is why

The thing is most old Punk bands which used to play to the kids....those kids are now middle aged and have disposable income, so many bands have reformed and play live to them and their kids. I have heard it's very hard to make money out of recorded music unless you are Taylor Swift or had a huge hit.
The Stones realised years ago live music and merchandise was the earner.
FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:10 - Jun 26 with 458 viewshowenjack

If you want to safeguard copyright . Put your material in an envelope and simply post it to yourself . When it arrives don't open it . The post mark will be your proof.
FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:42 - Jun 26 with 442 viewsKeithHaynes

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 19:43 - Jun 26 by Togg

The thing is most old Punk bands which used to play to the kids....those kids are now middle aged and have disposable income, so many bands have reformed and play live to them and their kids. I have heard it's very hard to make money out of recorded music unless you are Taylor Swift or had a huge hit.
The Stones realised years ago live music and merchandise was the earner.

It’s possible mate, via a good online following, shows, DIY releases are favourite, vinyl and cassette are very popular atm. CD’s not so. It’s all down to quality research and using contacts.

And you are right LIVE music and merch is the way forwards, and even better if you DIY.

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 22:00 - Jun 26 with 432 viewsjohnlangy

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:10 - Jun 26 by howenjack

If you want to safeguard copyright . Put your material in an envelope and simply post it to yourself . When it arrives don't open it . The post mark will be your proof.

Something I did years ago. Still got them somewhere.
FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 08:36 - Jun 27 with 371 viewsonehunglow

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:42 - Jun 26 by KeithHaynes

It’s possible mate, via a good online following, shows, DIY releases are favourite, vinyl and cassette are very popular atm. CD’s not so. It’s all down to quality research and using contacts.

And you are right LIVE music and merch is the way forwards, and even better if you DIY.

Morning KeithFirst,thanks for your reply
Second, Togg makes the point I was making albeit badly and that is making money from recorded .
.If ,for example, “ Sex War” is played at my barbers,does the Haynes bank balance get a kerching .

BTW, I don’t want a loan .

Login to get fewer ads

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 10:06 - Jun 27 with 339 viewsKeithHaynes

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 08:36 - Jun 27 by onehunglow

Morning KeithFirst,thanks for your reply
Second, Togg makes the point I was making albeit badly and that is making money from recorded .
.If ,for example, “ Sex War” is played at my barbers,does the Haynes bank balance get a kerching .

BTW, I don’t want a loan .

I think it’s an offence not to belong to the PRS as a shop or business that plays music. But how that money is disseminated is beyond me. Or how they know. We’ve never been a member and I doubt any band in our genre has been ( in the main) We don’t comply that much in ‘you must do this’ Yes we pay taxes but that’s it.

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 15:40 - Jun 27 with 304 viewsonehunglow

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 10:06 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

I think it’s an offence not to belong to the PRS as a shop or business that plays music. But how that money is disseminated is beyond me. Or how they know. We’ve never been a member and I doubt any band in our genre has been ( in the main) We don’t comply that much in ‘you must do this’ Yes we pay taxes but that’s it.

They most certainly do have to pay to broadcast Keith
It’s quite a figure
I’m earning a lot from you. I didn’t realise I was so dense

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 16:14 - Jun 27 with 294 viewsWhiterockin

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 10:06 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

I don't like to but in on your discussion but different establishments pay different fees. A shop or hairdresser playing background music or the radio will pay different rates to a restaurant or a pub, live music puts up the bill as well. If you have a pub serving food and put on the occasional live music you pay a fee on your maximum licenced capacity multiplied but the number of live events, plus the basic charges. It can easily mount up. I paid about £500 years ago some paid an awful lot more. Ignore the licence and you could well get fined and fees backdated.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 16:41 - Jun 27 with 286 viewsonehunglow

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 16:14 - Jun 27 by Whiterockin

I don't like to but in on your discussion but different establishments pay different fees. A shop or hairdresser playing background music or the radio will pay different rates to a restaurant or a pub, live music puts up the bill as well. If you have a pub serving food and put on the occasional live music you pay a fee on your maximum licenced capacity multiplied but the number of live events, plus the basic charges. It can easily mount up. I paid about £500 years ago some paid an awful lot more. Ignore the licence and you could well get fined and fees backdated.

Not bugging in at all,
Thought it would be a good discussion.
Genuine thanks for that
Bottom line,only a minority in music get to be mega money earners but sone of the old stars have decent pensions coz of one song,like Roy Wood and Noddy.
Good on em

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:46 - Jun 27 with 241 viewsKeithHaynes

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 16:14 - Jun 27 by Whiterockin

As I said I’m unsure how PRS disseminate funds to the musics license holder. There’s no way of tracking what they play or when or by whom. I assume that’s what they do. But as I said, not for us, unless we can squeeze some moolah out of it 😂

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:53 - Jun 27 with 238 viewsWhiterockin

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:46 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

As I said I’m unsure how PRS disseminate funds to the musics license holder. There’s no way of tracking what they play or when or by whom. I assume that’s what they do. But as I said, not for us, unless we can squeeze some moolah out of it 😂

As I say businesses pay quite a considerable amount in fees every year, where it goes and to whom who knows.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 22:03 - Jun 27 with 232 viewsonehunglow

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 21:46 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

I wouldn’t want to do business with you.
You’re tougher than Alan Lord Sir Sugar of Hackney
That fella with the spiky hair of yours

FAO the Guvna …making money in music on 12:27 - Jun 29 with 138 viewsWingstandwood

I was intriqued when Captain Sensible of The Damned said that the main revenue stream for his band came from merchandising. What the group earned via concert revenue from ticket sales was small potatoes compared to selling t'-shirts.

Captain Sensible commentated that The Stranglers were even selling decanters. I reckon stadium bands must make an absolute small fortune.

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024