Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford v Saints 15:33 - Aug 31 with 7905 viewsFlamingbankers

We look outclassed at the moment. Ramsdale looks good. Made a couple of decent saves already. If we continue to play in Martin's style we're going down. It's way too chancey.
Brentford v Saints on 18:08 - Aug 31 with 1409 viewssaintpaz

Brentford v Saints on 17:40 - Aug 31 by 1885_SFC

Aye. We can't have the likes of Dibling picking the ball up & running at the oppo's goal. Who does he think he is FFS?

Back on the bench for you next time Dibling. Good luck explaining your forward attacking style to the gaffer later. You're well in the sh1t son.

I feel the same as I did when I watched England play (slowly playing at the back/none to not much end product) but someone England limped over the line, apart from the final of course haha
Brentford v Saints on 18:10 - Aug 31 with 1400 viewssaintpaz

AA just isn't up to Prem standard, he seems to need a few more seconds to actually hit the ball which he got away with in the Championship but you won't in the Prem as we have seen time and time again. Can't believe he missed that sitter too. Keep him for the championship but get rid after it
Brentford v Saints on 21:01 - Aug 31 with 1177 viewsBLEEDRED

Just got back, what a disappointing game. Sum it up-Brentford from keeper needs 3 or 4 passes to get to Saint goalmouth, Saints need 15 to 20 passes to still be in their own half.

So slow, if things don't change there is no way we can survive' It's not the players, all down to RM
Brentford v Saints on 22:03 - Aug 31 with 1068 viewsDorsetIan

Brentford v Saints on 18:10 - Aug 31 by saintpaz

AA just isn't up to Prem standard, he seems to need a few more seconds to actually hit the ball which he got away with in the Championship but you won't in the Prem as we have seen time and time again. Can't believe he missed that sitter too. Keep him for the championship but get rid after it

This was always going to be a possibility. I think he scored 2 goals in each of his previous PL seasons. But he got us promoted so he had to be given another chance. It's very possible that this level is too much for him.

Same doubts are there about Smallbone. Championship might be his level.

But we've got other options now, so i doubt either will start the next game.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Brentford v Saints on 12:52 - Sep 1 with 761 viewsdirk_doone

Brentford v Saints on 22:03 - Aug 31 by DorsetIan

This was always going to be a possibility. I think he scored 2 goals in each of his previous PL seasons. But he got us promoted so he had to be given another chance. It's very possible that this level is too much for him.

Same doubts are there about Smallbone. Championship might be his level.

But we've got other options now, so i doubt either will start the next game.

Armstrong, Smallbone and Aribo are going to be picked by Martin because last season they were good enough to finish 4th in the Championship as part of the most succesful team in his entire managerial career, but they are not good enough for the Premier League. Playing so many sub-standard players at this level can only have one result.

We could just about field a team of 11 players, which would exclude Armstrong, Smallbone and Aribo, that might be good enough to stay up, but Martin isn't going to start our best 11 players together until it's too late.
[Post edited 1 Sep 12:57]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Brentford v Saints on 18:05 - Sep 1 with 621 viewshedgeend61

Brentford v Saints on 12:52 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

Armstrong, Smallbone and Aribo are going to be picked by Martin because last season they were good enough to finish 4th in the Championship as part of the most succesful team in his entire managerial career, but they are not good enough for the Premier League. Playing so many sub-standard players at this level can only have one result.

We could just about field a team of 11 players, which would exclude Armstrong, Smallbone and Aribo, that might be good enough to stay up, but Martin isn't going to start our best 11 players together until it's too late.
[Post edited 1 Sep 12:57]

Dirk, he said in the Echo he made mistakes with the team selection and was probably to loyal to some, we said at the ground how's he chosen the same 10?

But he hooked two at HT, ( Armstrong's miss just before HT was horrendous, they didn't show on Motd) so I think he knows. Aribo like you say, and you can add Stephens are nowhere near the level, THB has been pants and I thought Diaz would be showing a bit more tbh.

I think (hope) it will be a different looking team v Man U, who looked a shambles today
Brentford v Saints on 19:46 - Sep 1 with 548 viewsdirk_doone

Brentford v Saints on 18:05 - Sep 1 by hedgeend61

Dirk, he said in the Echo he made mistakes with the team selection and was probably to loyal to some, we said at the ground how's he chosen the same 10?

But he hooked two at HT, ( Armstrong's miss just before HT was horrendous, they didn't show on Motd) so I think he knows. Aribo like you say, and you can add Stephens are nowhere near the level, THB has been pants and I thought Diaz would be showing a bit more tbh.

I think (hope) it will be a different looking team v Man U, who looked a shambles today

Another thing I've noticed is that nowadays, the team with the most possession usually loses Premier League games.

It happened again today, when Man United had more possession but lost 3-0, while Spurs had 66% possession and lost to Newcastle.

Basically, passing for long spells to retain possession is a recipe for disaster. The opposition just bides their time and intercepts to score goals and take the points. While we are concentrating on passing to keep possession, which usually means spending a lot of time in our own half in a vain attempt to keep the ball, the opposition is focused on scoring goals and winning, and goals come easily with the element of surprise you get when you intercept a pass.

The first team I saw playing the low possession game to win was the great Bayern Munich side of the 1970s. I used to think it was unfair that they beat teams that had spent most of the game with the ball but nowadays a lot of successful teams do, and we are the ideal opponents for them. Our tactics are so predictable that they are queueing up to be the next team to beat us. At the end of the season we are going to be top of the passing league and bottom of the real league.
[Post edited 1 Sep 20:53]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Brentford v Saints on 20:27 - Sep 1 with 498 viewsPatfromPoole

Brentford v Saints on 19:46 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

Another thing I've noticed is that nowadays, the team with the most possession usually loses Premier League games.

It happened again today, when Man United had more possession but lost 3-0, while Spurs had 66% possession and lost to Newcastle.

Basically, passing for long spells to retain possession is a recipe for disaster. The opposition just bides their time and intercepts to score goals and take the points. While we are concentrating on passing to keep possession, which usually means spending a lot of time in our own half in a vain attempt to keep the ball, the opposition is focused on scoring goals and winning, and goals come easily with the element of surprise you get when you intercept a pass.

The first team I saw playing the low possession game to win was the great Bayern Munich side of the 1970s. I used to think it was unfair that they beat teams that had spent most of the game with the ball but nowadays a lot of successful teams do, and we are the ideal opponents for them. Our tactics are so predictable that they are queueing up to be the next team to beat us. At the end of the season we are going to be top of the passing league and bottom of the real league.
[Post edited 1 Sep 20:53]

I think Saints did this a lot in the 90’s and under Strachan.

We didn’t always have the ball that much, but we were effective when we got it.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Login to get fewer ads

Brentford v Saints on 21:51 - Sep 1 with 430 viewskernow

Brentford v Saints on 20:27 - Sep 1 by PatfromPoole

I think Saints did this a lot in the 90’s and under Strachan.

We didn’t always have the ball that much, but we were effective when we got it.

“Propaganda football” is how he described it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024