Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not footy related (self assesment help) 19:45 - Jan 17 with 2757 viewsRalphs12

Basically what it is, I went self employed to ensure I completed my apprenticeship as work had dried up (funny in the plumbing game). Ive now been employed for 2 years, cards in. Last year I got a fine and a rollocking for not doing my self assesment. So I did it, rang them and said look im no longer self employed yadda yadda. Low and behold I've got another letter through saying I need to do my self assesment?

What do I need to do to get em to feck right off? Or will they keep sending (and possibly fining) until they see fit? I got a rebate last year for when I was on emergency code when I had been employed.

Havent got a clue about tax etc so any help would be appreciated.
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 20:04 - Jan 17 with 2733 viewsD_Alien

Basically, you can't win, you've got to play their game

The only way to get them off your back is to fill out whatever they send you (to the bare minimum) otherwise they think you're trying to pull a fast one

The forms are a complete pain in the arse - they probably don't even understand them themselves! But sorry, just get your head down one evening when there's nowt else to do and get it in the post

Chances are you'll get another next year, but eventually they'll give up

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 20:42 - Jan 17 with 2673 viewswimborne_dale

D_Alien's advice sounds good. I would ring them up to ask if you really do need to fill it in as you are no longer self employed. However you do not HAVE to be self employed to get a Self Assessment form. I know someone who has held a steady job for decades and he gets them because he lets a flat. But remember, the form applies to a year ended 5th April (probably 5th April 2011), not necessarily to the current year so you have to tell them about your situation THEN.

If/When you do ring them, remember to be respectful and polite. Telling them to F off may make you feel better for a short while but doesn't work in the long run. I hear from people who have worked in such places that those who piss them off go straight to the bottom of the pile. Normally you may even get some help over the phone.
Good luck.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 20:43 - Jan 17 with 2663 viewsmacro

fill in with 0's for self-employment and send back, they'll get the message eventually
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 20:54 - Jan 17 with 2642 viewswroughtironron

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 20:43 - Jan 17 by macro

fill in with 0's for self-employment and send back, they'll get the message eventually

O's or hose ?
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 21:00 - Jan 17 with 2620 viewsjudd

The form is quite simple really once you get over the annoyance. You will need relevant p60 for the tax year involved for accurate figures to prove tax paid. They once billed me 4 grand for under payment. When I challenged them nicely I got a cheque for 5 grand.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 21:50 - Jan 17 with 2555 viewsPDIDDY

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 21:00 - Jan 17 by judd

The form is quite simple really once you get over the annoyance. You will need relevant p60 for the tax year involved for accurate figures to prove tax paid. They once billed me 4 grand for under payment. When I challenged them nicely I got a cheque for 5 grand.

kinell judd, must be busy brass where you work

Gissa job

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 22:01 - Jan 17 with 2544 viewsKathmandale

Sounds like you'd best fill it in as times short if you want to avoid a fine this year.

I've been self employed for 6 years now and (I realise this will come as a shock) I've always found the taxman really really helpful on the phone. If you're polite then they tend to give really good advice.

If you're employed at only one job then the online form should only take you 15mins. It's just putting in your details and copying the numbers from your P60 (from April 2011) across. It might feel like a pain in the tits to have to do it but considerably less of a pain than the fines etc. As someone else said, you have to play the taxman at his own game, moaning to him gets you nowhere. Even if it takes you an hour, if it saves you a £100 fine then thats almost like earning £100 an hour.
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 23:53 - Jan 17 with 2494 viewsDalenet

Plus they do tend to pick off a high percentage of the employed PAYE people that earn enough to pay 40% tax so that they can collect the extra tax on your savings.

Login to get fewer ads

Not footy related (self assesment help) on 00:15 - Jan 18 with 2474 viewsdownunder

About 15 people will be involved with your case. They will be based in Newcastle, Preston, High Wycombe, Malta ( yes Malta, that is where they post my stuff from, which usually arrives a month after the deadline date) and who knows where else.
Good Luck.

PS Just completed mine, quickest time ever. Bound to be picked out for investigation. Well as long as they come to me to do it, no worries.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 12:37 - Jan 18 with 2416 viewsFondles

Just fill them in as earning no money and traveling around the world when you was supposed to be working.

I did this and got quite a nice rebate, easy.
Not footy related (self assesment help) on 18:30 - Jan 18 with 2343 viewsRalphs12

Cheers guys!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024