Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Macca memory? 19:15 - Jun 26 with 2379 viewsHayesender

Appologies if it's already been done but here goes.

For me there are two that stand out for me.

The thumping header at stamford bridge in the quarter final. I lost my footing on the away terrace and tumbled down the terrace like a bouncing bomb, but didn't care less about the bumps and bruises.

My other stand out memory of the great man is of him scoring the winning penalty up at Grimsby on a cold horrible tuesday night.

I got home so late/early from that game I didn't even have time to go home and change before work.

Still hasn't sunk in

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Best Macca memory? on 20:07 - Jun 26 with 1882 viewsE7Ranger

More than that one was his other header (at least I always remember it as Macca?) that put us 2-1 up v the Scum on NY day in 84 in front of the Loft. Freezing cold sunny day on the plastic, 26000 all ticket midday kick off. Scum everywhere, both ends of the loft, all over the paddock and in all the seats.Must have had around 15000 there that day. Ref bottled it and gave em 2 very dodgy penalties. If that wasn't you mate then balls I'll always remember it as you, coz that's the kinda ting you just did! Would be worth so much nowadays, along with so may others. Wegerly, Banister, even Fereday when you think how he used to roast defence after defence AND put in a great cross. These players and many many more of ours should really have gone to the very top. Terry? Do me favour. Big Al infinitely superior.
Best Macca memory? on 20:23 - Jun 26 with 1862 viewsloftboy

The header at scum and the 120 minute equaliser against united

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best Macca memory? on 20:42 - Jun 26 with 1844 viewsFrankRightguard

Aside from the battle with Sparky and Harford my biggest Macca memory was him pinning Townsend to the floor by the throat with an arm cocked ready to just that massive beak all over his chops!
Best Macca memory? on 21:02 - Jun 26 with 1817 viewsloftboy

Best Macca memory? on 20:42 - Jun 26 by FrankRightguard

Aside from the battle with Sparky and Harford my biggest Macca memory was him pinning Townsend to the floor by the throat with an arm cocked ready to just that massive beak all over his chops!

That was the one where we got a 1st minute penalty and Dixon put one into orbit, I stood up in sa rd and cheered him on only for some big Chelsea git to have a go at me, he couldn't accept that I was in a home stand supporting the home team, made the rest of the afternoon interesting though.

Best Macca memory? on 21:14 - Jun 26 with 1803 viewsFrankRightguard

Best Macca memory? on 21:02 - Jun 26 by loftboy

That was the one where we got a 1st minute penalty and Dixon put one into orbit, I stood up in sa rd and cheered him on only for some big Chelsea git to have a go at me, he couldn't accept that I was in a home stand supporting the home team, made the rest of the afternoon interesting though.

That's the one. In that rotten turquoise kit they had.
Best Macca memory? on 21:49 - Jun 26 with 1776 viewsPeterHucker

I'll remember Macca most for the great timing of his tackling. Many of them would be a booking these days (ridiculous) but back then a sliding tackle or a tackle from the side was perfectly fair and I can't think of any other defender we've had who could time them like Macca. As a former Sunday league centre back myself, I really appreciated that he was a great reader of the game and playing alongside him made the other defenders look better too.
RIP Macca.
Best Macca memory? on 22:03 - Jun 26 with 1755 viewsdavman

I remember a pretty handy goal with his feet against Nottingham Forest at HQ. Detail hazy, but we won something like 3-0 (that might be creative memory) and I remember laughing my head off at the sheer skill of the Big Man.

THE Legend of MY lifetime - just slightly too young for Stanley.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Best Macca memory? on 23:01 - Jun 26 with 1719 viewsqueensparker

Not one specific one, but just really really looking forward to games where you knew Macca would be up against the likes of Mark Hughes, Mick Harford, Niall Quinn, John Fashanu, John Aldridge...

Big hard forwards at the top of their game going toe to toe with the big hard centre back who was captain of QPR, and only the best man wins.

No rolling around clutching faces, no diving, no f--king about, no quarter given.

I miss that about football - the fair physical battle with honour on both sides, which Macca was a huge part of.
Login to get fewer ads

Best Macca memory? on 23:10 - Jun 26 with 1709 viewsSydneyRs

Aside from the superb "anyone who thinks that was a fix can come and see me" interview one great moment I recall was him scoring a great volley in front of the away end at Watford, was possibly the winning goal, someone with a better memory than me might know.

Watford trips were good on those days as we got some good results and got to encourage Elton John to come out of the closet.
Best Macca memory? on 23:14 - Jun 26 with 1706 viewsqueensparker

Best Macca memory? on 21:02 - Jun 26 by loftboy

I think it was Macca who scored in that game (unless it was Steve Wicks, it was definitely a massive blonde centre back).

My other memory of that day was John Byrne dazzling about six players and about to score the goal of the season... and then putting it wide.
Best Macca memory? on 23:23 - Jun 26 with 1698 viewsPeterHucker

just remembered another one, anyone remember when he ran out for the 2nd half and went to the wrong half of the pitch?
Best Macca memory? on 23:33 - Jun 26 with 1695 viewsN12Hoop

Didn't he score a goal one Easter at Vicarage Road that sent Watford down. Mid 80s.? After that game and a long walk around the allotments to get out of the ground we spent an hour searching for our car thanks to the police forcing us in the wrong direction.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Best Macca memory? on 23:43 - Jun 26 with 1691 viewsloftboy

Best Macca memory? on 23:14 - Jun 26 by queensparker

I think it was Macca who scored in that game (unless it was Steve Wicks, it was definitely a massive blonde centre back).

My other memory of that day was John Byrne dazzling about six players and about to score the goal of the season... and then putting it wide.

No it was Wegerle, Byrnes mazy run was in the 6-0 game

Best Macca memory? on 01:06 - Jun 27 with 1664 viewsKiwi76

Best Macca memory? on 20:23 - Jun 26 by loftboy

The header at scum and the 120 minute equaliser against united

Was at that FA Cup game Loftboy & think he scored off his backside with pretty much last touch in the game.
Liked Clives report with the "thumbs-up" running style and its definitely the overall contribution he's made to our club rather than a moment for me.

Been plenty of great posts over past week and hope some of them can be shared with his family to highlight what he meant to us all?
Best Macca memory? on 03:41 - Jun 27 with 1649 viewsSydneyRs

Best Macca memory? on 23:01 - Jun 26 by queensparker

Not one specific one, but just really really looking forward to games where you knew Macca would be up against the likes of Mark Hughes, Mick Harford, Niall Quinn, John Fashanu, John Aldridge...

Big hard forwards at the top of their game going toe to toe with the big hard centre back who was captain of QPR, and only the best man wins.

No rolling around clutching faces, no diving, no f--king about, no quarter given.

I miss that about football - the fair physical battle with honour on both sides, which Macca was a huge part of.

THIS
Best Macca memory? on 03:45 - Jun 27 with 1648 viewsSydneyRs

apart from Hughes, who got Macca sent off by doing the clutching the face thing. Whatever became of that cheating git?
Best Macca memory? on 06:38 - Jun 27 with 1633 viewsqprmick

Best Macca memory? on 03:45 - Jun 27 by SydneyRs

apart from Hughes, who got Macca sent off by doing the clutching the face thing. Whatever became of that cheating git?

Whoever he was, he would have been paid back in spades Sydney. Hard to believe that he was got rid of, for Morrow, masterstroke that one.

Qprmick

Best Macca memory? on 06:56 - Jun 27 with 1626 viewscaliforniahoop

Best Macca memory? on 23:01 - Jun 26 by queensparker

Covers it.
Best Macca memory? on 07:16 - Jun 27 with 1619 viewswombat

I was lucky enough to go to the European games in the 80s we flew with the team to Belgrade for thate fatefull day as well. Macca was in great spirits on the trip pissed like most of the fans the night before the game as well. Remember helping macca get Micky fillery into the lift as fillery was to hammered to do it himself

We all know the result of the game . On the way back the crew of the monarch plane had decked out the cabin in blue and white it was everywhere .
Everyone was understandably pissed off with the result ESP some of the players macca and fen wick being the more vocal ones . So we get on the plane and macca decides to lighten the mood by grabbing the air stewardesses hat and starts shelling the drinks trolley down the aisle before the plane had even taxied to take off .

Macca was a legend on and off the pitch and was lucky to spend many a sat night in the railway Greenford slightly hammered still gutted at the news and really can't believe this has happened to him

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Best Macca memory? on 13:24 - Jun 27 with 1534 viewsQPunkR

The man was, quite simply, my hero. I grew up having him and Fernando Hierro as my idols, but I'd always pick Macca any day of the week.
An absolute inspiration, words can't even convey how much.

Apart from all the hard tackles and brilliant defensive play, one moment I recall was against, I think Coventry, at home. The ball comes to Macca from a poor pass on the halfway line and Dion Dublin (I think) was right on top of him. Instead of panicking or kicking the ball out to touch Macca just flicked it nonchalantly off the floor and over Dublin, then just continued trotting forward.

What a player. Going down to the ground to sign the book of condolence after work

RIP Macca

QPR - "shit but local"

Best Macca memory? on 14:33 - Jun 27 with 1485 viewsMonahoop

Alan was the only QPR player I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to. It was after a friendly game at Kingstonian which R's won 4-1. He was in the club bar and like myself, was waiting to be served a beer. He came across as very friendly and witty, it was almost like I had known the guy for a while. I wasn't at all star struck [much]. It was a shame some of his other team mates that evening couldn't have been more cordial to the fans. Wilkins I remember was a picture of misery and Wergele was a complete knob despite scoring two in the game.

I have no particular match winning or match defining moments to remember him by, just him being on the field for the team was good enough for me. Whenever I saw him, he never seemed to have a duff game.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Macca memory? on 14:42 - Jun 27 with 1469 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I remember in the Millwall cup game in the early 90's. Their fans were throwing seats on to the pitch (possibly at him) He picked one up and offered them all in the corner of the school end out. Of course none took him up on the offer.

I left that game 10 mins early.

the Macca/Peacock partnership with Jan, Bardsley and Wilson was majik.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best Macca memory? on 18:04 - Jun 27 with 1424 viewsqprmeath

Can someone enlighten me? Was Macca sent off in the Gurnham Singh game v Spurs. Think I remember that but can someone confirm it?
Best Macca memory? on 18:11 - Jun 27 with 1419 viewsFrankRightguard

Best Macca memory? on 18:04 - Jun 27 by qprmeath

Can someone enlighten me? Was Macca sent off in the Gurnham Singh game v Spurs. Think I remember that but can someone confirm it?

He was indeed sent off by Singh
Best Macca memory? on 19:19 - Jun 27 with 1392 viewsblacky200

No one real memory that stands out. Just remember never worrying about someone trying to bully the defence. I may be wrong but I remember going to Oxford United's old cow shed of a ground once and QPR clearing so many balls out of the ground that there was a delay while they got more balls. Macca was responsible for more than one of those and there was a suspicion among the travelling faithful that there was some kind of bet going on between the QPR players as Macca had a big smile on his face as they went.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024