Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This was once a great messageboard. 19:31 - Dec 4 with 10695 viewsrafcjosh

I've not been on here for a very long time & have made my first visit to the site in months. My initial reaction to the countless threads regarding the clubs current predicament in the league lead me to believe that I had accidentally stumbled onto the bury board! I thought I would just let you all know that we are 9th (NINTH!) in League 2, not far short of the play-offs. I think we all would of killed to see Rochdale in this position before the 'Hillcroft Era', I remember a lot of people posting at the end of last season saying we have to be realistic about this season & a top half finish would be a very good place to finish considering our budget and the amount of changes Coleman has had to make. He had to pretty much build a squad from scratch pre-season with very little money, I personally think he hasn't done a bad job so far & yes of course we could do with a few better players in certain positions but until January comes around we're stuck with what we've got I'm afraid.

You all need to wake up and realise that this team is a work in progress & that we don't have the divine right to be walking this league. I'll be there on Saturday & I'll be getting behind the team, I hope I'm not alone.
This was once a great messageboard. on 18:34 - Dec 5 with 1526 viewsboromat

This was once a great messageboard. on 09:45 - Dec 5 by fitzochris

That's actually quite a good point.

During Parkin's first season we only ever in and around the play-offs, eventually finishing just above mid-table. At no point were there mass calls for his head from what I remember.

And, during his second season, there was an horrendous slump after Christmas (including that 7-1 defeat by Shrewsbury). Although people were disgruntled, I don't recall a mass rebellion from the stands. We eventually missed the play-offs on the final day of the season.

In his third season, well Parkin looked like he'd got it right... before buggering off to Barnsley.

I guess my point is that JC is still on his first full season, so a mid-table finish would be no worse than what Parkin achieved after picking up a squad of dross. He can only build from there.

Differences between the two is that Parkin rarely baffled with his selection, although he did have his favourites, and he seemed more than capable of bringing in players that had an instant impact and (during his second spell) made the club a lot of money. He did get it spectacularly wrong on occasion with his tactics, but never really consistently.

As I said in another thread, JC is the perfect manager for a club like ours and I reckon it might take three seasons for us to get to where we want to be.

By then, JC will be being courted by a bigger club and we'll all be calling him a Judas ; )

I've got two differences between JC and Parkin for you.

1) Parkin wouldn't stand for any disciplinary issues.
2) Parkin played 4-4-2 with wingers!!! (even if Flictcroft was the only option!!).

I would prefer to have Parkin over JC but JC isn't doing too bad. The difference between home form and away form is only the difference between two draws and two wins. I should imagine we'll finish close to where we are at the minute, we might sneak into the play-offs.

Being a Rochdale fan from the age of 3 and starting out seeing a side with Mark Leonard in it, losing doesn't really bother me, and bad performances can be laughed off. Its the spirit of the club, players and staff that keep me coming back week after week. My one problem at the minute is the bad attitudes of the management, its not nice to see and it rubs off on the players. You only have to look at our disciplinary record this season to see that!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

This was once a great messageboard. on 18:58 - Dec 5 with 1499 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 18:34 - Dec 5 by boromat

2) Parkin played 4-4-2 with wingers!!! (even if Flictcroft was the only option!!).

I would prefer to have Parkin over JC but JC isn't doing too bad. The difference between home form and away form is only the difference between two draws and two wins. I should imagine we'll finish close to where we are at the minute, we might sneak into the play-offs.

Being a Rochdale fan from the age of 3 and starting out seeing a side with Mark Leonard in it, losing doesn't really bother me, and bad performances can be laughed off. Its the spirit of the club, players and staff that keep me coming back week after week. My one problem at the minute is the bad attitudes of the management, its not nice to see and it rubs off on the players. You only have to look at our disciplinary record this season to see that!

Parkin received constant criticism for his 4-4-2 not containing proper wingers - debates over Ford/Flitcroft/Oliver being used out wide instead if Bettney/Hadland etc.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

This was once a great messageboard. on 19:14 - Dec 5 with 1490 viewsR17ALE

You have my total sympathy for having to watch that useless donkey attempt to play football at such a young age.

If you are ever found guilty in court, please use this evidence as "mitigating" circumstances and any fair minded judge will give you a caution I'm sure!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

This was once a great messageboard. on 19:33 - Dec 5 with 1468 viewsfitzochris

I'm not debating the formations preferred by either manager, more the attainment at this point in their respective tenures, given they took over poor Dale sides and had to overhaul.

My point is, under Parkin, being near the play-offs at this point was good enough. Whether we were there by hook or by crook mattered little because we'd endured the Barrow era.

Under JC it seems not to be good enough, doubtless because we have enjoyed the Hilly era and League One football prior.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

This was once a great messageboard. on 20:33 - Dec 5 with 1436 viewsboromat

This was once a great messageboard. on 19:33 - Dec 5 by fitzochris

I'm not debating the formations preferred by either manager, more the attainment at this point in their respective tenures, given they took over poor Dale sides and had to overhaul.

My point is, under Parkin, being near the play-offs at this point was good enough. Whether we were there by hook or by crook mattered little because we'd endured the Barrow era.

Under JC it seems not to be good enough, doubtless because we have enjoyed the Hilly era and League One football prior.

My post wasn't really in response to yours. I just used it to go off on my own little tangent/rant.

I agree that they both took on poor sides and that we should be happy with our current position in the league.

A combination of 'the success going to fans heads' (if that is really possible at Dale?!), the economy keeping fans away, a perceived poor home form, a management that is struggling to fit in and get on side with the fans, is leading to the negativity and some of the comments on here.

I have to be honest and say that although I'm reasonably happy with the league position, I'm struggling to find common ground with the new management team. I just don't like the way they go about things. Maybe, just maybe at a club like Dale there is more to it than winning and being where we expect to be in the league. There has always been a family togetherness at Dale and the management has always embraced it, I don't get that feeling from the JC and Jimmy.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024