Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This was once a great messageboard. 19:31 - Dec 4 with 10692 viewsrafcjosh

I've not been on here for a very long time & have made my first visit to the site in months. My initial reaction to the countless threads regarding the clubs current predicament in the league lead me to believe that I had accidentally stumbled onto the bury board! I thought I would just let you all know that we are 9th (NINTH!) in League 2, not far short of the play-offs. I think we all would of killed to see Rochdale in this position before the 'Hillcroft Era', I remember a lot of people posting at the end of last season saying we have to be realistic about this season & a top half finish would be a very good place to finish considering our budget and the amount of changes Coleman has had to make. He had to pretty much build a squad from scratch pre-season with very little money, I personally think he hasn't done a bad job so far & yes of course we could do with a few better players in certain positions but until January comes around we're stuck with what we've got I'm afraid.

You all need to wake up and realise that this team is a work in progress & that we don't have the divine right to be walking this league. I'll be there on Saturday & I'll be getting behind the team, I hope I'm not alone.
This was once a great messageboard. on 23:47 - Dec 4 with 3336 viewsFatBoyCassy

This was once a great messageboard. on 23:36 - Dec 4 by crazyhorse

It was great on here..especially in the earlier years, maybe it was the novelty of the internet..probably early 2000..there was a togetheness.. a sharing of mutual footballing shitness but still we felt the need to stick with Dale week in and out and take pleasure from the odd fabulous victory. We really had something to complain about and hoped that one day our time would come, but we could take the p1ss out of ourselves and the team, a weird relationship that kept us coming through the gate and loving the club.

Were missing characters who come on here for a laugh and raise the spirits of the afflicted, we'll never be top tier footballers.
Few of the posters i remember were:
Fat Boy castleton
Frankie B
Halliwell
Col
SouthportCol
Dean
Windy Dale (oohh thats me)
Stig
AlkyDale
Kiwi
Tony Mondeo
Southport COl
Urbans
Widgibob(a Tazbot type?)
Mr Extra
Sandyman

But there were many more..

The good old days Windy! Long gone I'm afraid, just like Brian in the Newchurch St. chippy. Remember the Bottom of the Barrel? My favourite poster was Orient Meat Pie (OMP). Too many people take themselves too seriously nowadays for forums like this the be fun anymore, much is the pity.
This was once a great messageboard. on 23:51 - Dec 4 with 3328 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 23:47 - Dec 4 by FatBoyCassy

The good old days Windy! Long gone I'm afraid, just like Brian in the Newchurch St. chippy. Remember the Bottom of the Barrel? My favourite poster was Orient Meat Pie (OMP). Too many people take themselves too seriously nowadays for forums like this the be fun anymore, much is the pity.

The Barrel was the best forum about for a number of years. Anyone who ventured there will never forget the Davina McCall thread.

Found this:

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Bottom_of_the_Barrel

The Clough/Crosby debate was Local at her finest.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

This was once a great messageboard. on 00:15 - Dec 5 with 3300 viewscrazyhorse

This was once a great messageboard. on 23:47 - Dec 4 by FatBoyCassy

Kinell, Brian the chip and warbys chippy....is that place still open? Unbelievable chips(well cooked) and curry from there, proper thick stuff with saw dust to thicken, pepper, vinegar and raisens in. (They were abit tight with the portions though! always a complaint by the locals)

Bottom of the barrell was top and it had a big following, Orient Meat Oie, janner where acouple I remember...I always remember the scunny hunny thread..were a bout 1000 footy fans or more people collaborated to get the ugliest bird (she had a cheek applying really) to win an online Miss scunthorpe competition. She was streets ahead of the competition even though she had a monobrow and was cross eyed.. The cheeky b'stards at the radio station ignored public opinion and pulled plug on the competition and awarded it to some fitty who had half the votes.
This was once a great messageboard. on 00:24 - Dec 5 with 3288 viewscrazyhorse

This was once a great messageboard. on 23:51 - Dec 4 by 442Dale

The Barrel was the best forum about for a number of years. Anyone who ventured there will never forget the Davina McCall thread.

Found this:

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Bottom_of_the_Barrel

The Clough/Crosby debate was Local at her finest.

Nice Find! Brings back memories..I remember 3CS(mansfield town?)..really married Oslo Dave? Women are fickle though prolly a Dale fan now.
This was once a great messageboard. on 00:26 - Dec 5 with 3286 viewsBrierls

This was once a great messageboard. on 00:15 - Dec 5 by crazyhorse

Kinell, Brian the chip and warbys chippy....is that place still open? Unbelievable chips(well cooked) and curry from there, proper thick stuff with saw dust to thicken, pepper, vinegar and raisens in. (They were abit tight with the portions though! always a complaint by the locals)

Bottom of the barrell was top and it had a big following, Orient Meat Oie, janner where acouple I remember...I always remember the scunny hunny thread..were a bout 1000 footy fans or more people collaborated to get the ugliest bird (she had a cheek applying really) to win an online Miss scunthorpe competition. She was streets ahead of the competition even though she had a monobrow and was cross eyed.. The cheeky b'stards at the radio station ignored public opinion and pulled plug on the competition and awarded it to some fitty who had half the votes.

The Barrel was ace! Col and myself met up with OMP down there one season, a loveable rogue. Though we had to make it known he looked like a fat Ben Elton. The Scunny Hunny we propelled to victory was the delightful Vicky Peck, a finer example of Scunthorpe inhabitants you'd struggle to find. We also met Spiff and Marlow, and no doubt a few more along the way.

And lets not forget The Barrel was responsible for a wedding...Rochdale's very own Oslo Dale (the original OD!) and the Stag Wendy (can't remember her username, SDS or summat!). Again, Col and myself attended their wedding reception at The City Ground, and met up with loads of other Barrelers. We certainly took our A game that evening, so much that I can't remember who we met. The only lasting memory is us paying a fortune to a taxi driver to drive us around Nottingham looking for an open kebab house at stupid o'clock in the morning.
This was once a great messageboard. on 00:28 - Dec 5 with 3284 viewsBrierls

This was once a great messageboard. on 00:24 - Dec 5 by crazyhorse

Nice Find! Brings back memories..I remember 3CS(mansfield town?)..really married Oslo Dave? Women are fickle though prolly a Dale fan now.

Should have read that link before posting! yeah, 3CS was Wendy's username. S(dS) was completely different haha. We met AD as well, the horrible horrible ginger! Memory is returning, I think we met Matt the Shayman at the wedding reception.

Still got OsloDave, 3CS, Fraggle Stag & Sunny Stag as friends on Facebook.

Tommy The Silkman's dad was actually chairman at Macc up until a few months ago.
This was once a great messageboard. on 01:56 - Dec 5 with 3258 viewsAtThePeake

I could not agree more Josh.

If Coleman is a bad manager, then we have only ever had two good managers - the two that have taken us up.

Get behind the team for goodness sake.

Tangled up in blue.

This was once a great messageboard. on 08:22 - Dec 5 with 3221 viewsChaffRAFC

This was once a great messageboard. on 00:26 - Dec 5 by Brierls

The Barrel was ace! Col and myself met up with OMP down there one season, a loveable rogue. Though we had to make it known he looked like a fat Ben Elton. The Scunny Hunny we propelled to victory was the delightful Vicky Peck, a finer example of Scunthorpe inhabitants you'd struggle to find. We also met Spiff and Marlow, and no doubt a few more along the way.

And lets not forget The Barrel was responsible for a wedding...Rochdale's very own Oslo Dale (the original OD!) and the Stag Wendy (can't remember her username, SDS or summat!). Again, Col and myself attended their wedding reception at The City Ground, and met up with loads of other Barrelers. We certainly took our A game that evening, so much that I can't remember who we met. The only lasting memory is us paying a fortune to a taxi driver to drive us around Nottingham looking for an open kebab house at stupid o'clock in the morning.

Didn't post much on there but the Barrel was brilliant to read! Met up with a Hull fan on there whenever we played Boston and he was a decent lad as well.

It was great because you really could say what you wanted without the risk of offending anyone on there. Something this and most other messageboards and forums lack nowadays.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

This was once a great messageboard. on 08:48 - Dec 5 with 3201 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 00:28 - Dec 5 by Brierls

Should have read that link before posting! yeah, 3CS was Wendy's username. S(dS) was completely different haha. We met AD as well, the horrible horrible ginger! Memory is returning, I think we met Matt the Shayman at the wedding reception.

Still got OsloDave, 3CS, Fraggle Stag & Sunny Stag as friends on Facebook.

Tommy The Silkman's dad was actually chairman at Macc up until a few months ago.

Unlucky.

This was once a great messageboard. on 09:45 - Dec 5 with 3171 viewsfitzochris

This was once a great messageboard. on 08:22 - Dec 5 by ChaffRAFC

Didn't post much on there but the Barrel was brilliant to read! Met up with a Hull fan on there whenever we played Boston and he was a decent lad as well.

It was great because you really could say what you wanted without the risk of offending anyone on there. Something this and most other messageboards and forums lack nowadays.

That's actually quite a good point.

During Parkin's first season we only ever in and around the play-offs, eventually finishing just above mid-table. At no point were there mass calls for his head from what I remember.

And, during his second season, there was an horrendous slump after Christmas (including that 7-1 defeat by Shrewsbury). Although people were disgruntled, I don't recall a mass rebellion from the stands. We eventually missed the play-offs on the final day of the season.

In his third season, well Parkin looked like he'd got it right... before buggering off to Barnsley.

I guess my point is that JC is still on his first full season, so a mid-table finish would be no worse than what Parkin achieved after picking up a squad of dross. He can only build from there.

Differences between the two is that Parkin rarely baffled with his selection, although he did have his favourites, and he seemed more than capable of bringing in players that had an instant impact and (during his second spell) made the club a lot of money. He did get it spectacularly wrong on occasion with his tactics, but never really consistently.

As I said in another thread, JC is the perfect manager for a club like ours and I reckon it might take three seasons for us to get to where we want to be.

By then, JC will be being courted by a bigger club and we'll all be calling him a Judas ; )

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

This was once a great messageboard. on 09:50 - Dec 5 with 3168 viewsfitzochris

Sorry, quoted the wrong post there. Meant to quote At The Peake's.

This was once a great messageboard. on 10:02 - Dec 5 with 3161 viewsoslodave

This was once a great messageboard. on 09:50 - Dec 5 by fitzochris

Sorry, quoted the wrong post there. Meant to quote At The Peake's.

Wendy (3CS) left me for some bloke she met online this summer :-/
This was once a great messageboard. on 10:04 - Dec 5 with 3158 viewsfitzochris

This was once a great messageboard. on 10:02 - Dec 5 by oslodave

Well don't look at me.

This was once a great messageboard. on 11:11 - Dec 5 with 3120 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 10:02 - Dec 5 by oslodave

I hope that's some Barrelling joke... and if not I hope it wasn't Gary Crosby... er Clough.

May the everlasting joy of the risen Christ be with you all. on 11:28 - Dec 5 with 3100 viewsRevAlanComfort

This was once a great messageboard. on 08:48 - Dec 5 by 442Dale

Unlucky.

Whilst praying to the Lord last Saturday evening for inspiration upon which to base this sermon, I found Him guiding me towards watching Match of the Day. Filled with his Heavenly direction, I turned on just in time to see the camera pan to Karen Brady sat in the West Ham directors' box, and immediately my mind turned to thoughts of the sin of prostitution.

Although we all share the original sin of Adam's transgression, I believe that no one is born instinctively sinful; we are conditioned to sin by society. Behind every sinner is another sinner. In the case of the sin of lust, there is probably also one on top.

Take Karen Brady as a case in point. Her lust for money, power and bearded hobbits has indeed earnt her great wealth, a modicum of power and a brace of unholy acolytes. But this is success just in the material world. I wonder how she is viewed in God's eyes? As a prostitute? As a moneygrubbing painted Jezebel, a grotesque centaur with the face of a Korean teenager's idealised inflatable lover?

The General Synod recently voted against Women Bishops. The objection of the traditionalists is that the Bible states (see Timothy 1) that a man should head the church. This got me thinking. Is it right that a traditional bastion of male dominance should be overturned by a woman expressing her views, dictating instructions to the men folk, and ultimately trying to control proceedings with no mandate? Are women really equal when it comes to contributing to the order of such a deeply established religion?

And if you are offended by my position, as I'm sure you are by now, and believe women should indeed be bishops, then ask yourself this; if I am all for women in the presbytery, then am I also for women in football? For surely, there is no difference between the directors' box and the pulpit.

Now we turn to number 452 in the New Orient Hymnal - Allsopp's Bright and Beautiful.
This was once a great messageboard. on 11:29 - Dec 5 with 3056 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

This was once a great messageboard. on 23:36 - Dec 4 by crazyhorse

It was great on here..especially in the earlier years, maybe it was the novelty of the internet..probably early 2000..there was a togetheness.. a sharing of mutual footballing shitness but still we felt the need to stick with Dale week in and out and take pleasure from the odd fabulous victory. We really had something to complain about and hoped that one day our time would come, but we could take the p1ss out of ourselves and the team, a weird relationship that kept us coming through the gate and loving the club.

Were missing characters who come on here for a laugh and raise the spirits of the afflicted, we'll never be top tier footballers.
Few of the posters i remember were:
Fat Boy castleton
Frankie B
Halliwell
Col
SouthportCol
Dean
Windy Dale (oohh thats me)
Stig
AlkyDale
Kiwi
Tony Mondeo
Southport COl
Urbans
Widgibob(a Tazbot type?)
Mr Extra
Sandyman

But there were many more..

You missed out ManchesterDale and a couple of others before the switchover to Fansnetwork

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

This was once a great messageboard. on 13:10 - Dec 5 with 2937 viewsSandyman

Thank you Reverend.

Bottom of the Barrel is still limping along in it's own world of vacuity, where football is, at best, a side issue. It can still be very funny on occasion. Please feel free to join in ...

http://www.foynls.co.uk/phpbb/index.php

Can anyone remember what foynls stands for?
This was once a great messageboard. on 13:23 - Dec 5 with 2917 viewsoslodave

No, sadly.
May the everlasting joy of the risen Christ be with you all. on 14:10 - Dec 5 with 2858 viewsjudd

May the everlasting joy of the risen Christ be with you all. on 11:28 - Dec 5 by RevAlanComfort

Whilst praying to the Lord last Saturday evening for inspiration upon which to base this sermon, I found Him guiding me towards watching Match of the Day. Filled with his Heavenly direction, I turned on just in time to see the camera pan to Karen Brady sat in the West Ham directors' box, and immediately my mind turned to thoughts of the sin of prostitution.

Although we all share the original sin of Adam's transgression, I believe that no one is born instinctively sinful; we are conditioned to sin by society. Behind every sinner is another sinner. In the case of the sin of lust, there is probably also one on top.

Take Karen Brady as a case in point. Her lust for money, power and bearded hobbits has indeed earnt her great wealth, a modicum of power and a brace of unholy acolytes. But this is success just in the material world. I wonder how she is viewed in God's eyes? As a prostitute? As a moneygrubbing painted Jezebel, a grotesque centaur with the face of a Korean teenager's idealised inflatable lover?

The General Synod recently voted against Women Bishops. The objection of the traditionalists is that the Bible states (see Timothy 1) that a man should head the church. This got me thinking. Is it right that a traditional bastion of male dominance should be overturned by a woman expressing her views, dictating instructions to the men folk, and ultimately trying to control proceedings with no mandate? Are women really equal when it comes to contributing to the order of such a deeply established religion?

And if you are offended by my position, as I'm sure you are by now, and believe women should indeed be bishops, then ask yourself this; if I am all for women in the presbytery, then am I also for women in football? For surely, there is no difference between the directors' box and the pulpit.

Now we turn to number 452 in the New Orient Hymnal - Allsopp's Bright and Beautiful.

Frock wearing, child molesting WEIRDO.

Fookin' do one.

Poll: What is it to be then?

This was once a great messageboard. on 14:12 - Dec 5 with 2857 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 13:10 - Dec 5 by Sandyman

Thank you Reverend.

Bottom of the Barrel is still limping along in it's own world of vacuity, where football is, at best, a side issue. It can still be very funny on occasion. Please feel free to join in ...

Still got the FOYNLS wristband!

Sorry to hear that OD. Just don't tell me you're best mates with Tommy instead. The irrational two-teamed get.

This was once a great messageboard. on 14:55 - Dec 5 with 2816 viewsThe_Ballboy

This was once a great messageboard. on 14:12 - Dec 5 by 442Dale

Still got the FOYNLS wristband!

Sorry to hear that OD. Just don't tell me you're best mates with Tommy instead. The irrational two-teamed get.

Good grief, that place exudes sanctimonious, cliquey, self-righteous, profanate, aggrieved, pious mongs worser than the Chelmsford board.

At least we stick at soccer on here.

Back on duty on Saturday so watch this space for more inside info.....

Including the plan to get more fans in by opening the gates earlier, giving away the inflatable stock from Wembley and the promise of clean glasses in the Rats nest.
This was once a great messageboard. on 14:58 - Dec 5 with 2806 views442Dale

This was once a great messageboard. on 14:55 - Dec 5 by The_Ballboy

Good grief, that place exudes sanctimonious, cliquey, self-righteous, profanate, aggrieved, pious mongs worser than the Chelmsford board.

At least we stick at soccer on here.

Back on duty on Saturday so watch this space for more inside info.....

Including the plan to get more fans in by opening the gates earlier, giving away the inflatable stock from Wembley and the promise of clean glasses in the Rats nest.

Talking about football ruins many a messageboard.

This was once a great messageboard. on 15:04 - Dec 5 with 2793 viewsThe_Ballboy

This was once a great messageboard. on 14:58 - Dec 5 by 442Dale

Talking about football ruins many a messageboard.

Ha! Ha! Lol.

I see what your saying, but opinions are only them, even the wrong ones of you know who.

Were there not a separate thread once for bullshit and complete inanity - wawful or some such thing?
May the everlasting joy of the risen Christ be with you all. on 16:12 - Dec 5 with 2742 viewsD_Alien

May the everlasting joy of the risen Christ be with you all. on 11:28 - Dec 5 by RevAlanComfort

The only thing to do with women priests is defrock them.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

This was once a great messageboard. on 16:13 - Dec 5 with 2739 viewsChaffRAFC

This was once a great messageboard. on 13:10 - Dec 5 by Sandyman

Thank you Reverend.

I still use FOYNLS as an actual word when describing many of our opponents!

Gutted to hear about the passing of Tom Hopkins who I mentioned earlier as the Hull fan from Boston which I didn't know about. Only 25

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024