Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Hill stamping his mark 17:06 - Feb 16 with 4666 viewsolympicdale

What a difference to a month ago. Quick attractive passing, midfield looked more solid with bbm, the defence to a man were all excellent, Phil Edwards motm for me alongside Bennett, have we tryed playing this kid up front yet. Ive been very critical of Rhys but he was superb. We struggled up front a bit today but was much more directness when Grimes came on, main thing was how well the team stood up to a physical Torquay side, and played some great football at times.

The Keith Hil effect looks to be slowly happening.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 03:37 - Feb 18 with 1061 viewsAtThePeake

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 21:21 - Feb 16 by mizfit

To those slating Donnelly, I'm not a big fan of his but today I thought he played well
His pace always troubled Torquay, chased everything down putting them under pressure linked the play well
Criticising the lad won't help

Aye, but neither will pretending he is any good when he clearly isn't!

Tangled up in blue.

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 15:56 - Feb 18 with 881 viewsroccydaleian

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 01:12 - Feb 18 by olympicdale

I'm not sure why so many are against Grimes, running around doesn't make you a good footballer, but it can distract certain people. If players don't sprint around they're called lazy, Grimes has coaxed his petulance side down, and yet still remains subject of cat calls when he's not chasing the keeper down. Grimes has ability way ahead of his team mates, he sees things they don't, and when they don't come off, its more down to the other lads not being on that same wavelength. There was a move yesterday when the ball was hit hard at him, but he still had the skill to back heel it straight to Howarth, instantly, give me Grimes's natural ability over Donnelly and Gornells work rate any day.

Amen to that.
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 16:31 - Feb 18 with 837 viewsD_Alien

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 01:12 - Feb 18 by olympicdale

I'm not sure why so many are against Grimes, running around doesn't make you a good footballer, but it can distract certain people. If players don't sprint around they're called lazy, Grimes has coaxed his petulance side down, and yet still remains subject of cat calls when he's not chasing the keeper down. Grimes has ability way ahead of his team mates, he sees things they don't, and when they don't come off, its more down to the other lads not being on that same wavelength. There was a move yesterday when the ball was hit hard at him, but he still had the skill to back heel it straight to Howarth, instantly, give me Grimes's natural ability over Donnelly and Gornells work rate any day.

The simple fact is that we need both type of players at L2/1 level.

Comparing Grimes with Donnelly is ridiculous (not you OD), but without Donnelly's hard yards for 55 minutes Grimes wouldn't have had chance to shine against a tiring defence.

I'm personally not arsed which type of player KH starts the game with, as long as there's a balance between the two which works for the good of the team, and the result. To re-iterate, KH got this 100% right against Torquay. Against different opposition, it might pay to start with Grimes.

On the subject of Gornell, his first touch let him down time and again last Saturday but any player can have a off day (especially after an enforced layoff, and you're trying perhaps too hard to impress the new boss) so he's worth perservering with until he proves otherwise over a number of games.

For me, when Grant returns it's a front two of Grant plus Gornell to start, with Grimes coming on second half.

Plus, we have Adebola and hopefully Reece Gray before too long, along with a wide man on either side in Haworth and Jones. Comparative riches up front, I'd say.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 16:52 - Feb 18 with 801 viewsaleanddale

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 16:31 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Comparing Grimes with Donnelly is ridiculous (not you OD), but without Donnelly's hard yards for 55 minutes Grimes wouldn't have had chance to shine against a tiring defence.

I'm personally not arsed which type of player KH starts the game with, as long as there's a balance between the two which works for the good of the team, and the result. To re-iterate, KH got this 100% right against Torquay. Against different opposition, it might pay to start with Grimes.

On the subject of Gornell, his first touch let him down time and again last Saturday but any player can have a off day (especially after an enforced layoff, and you're trying perhaps too hard to impress the new boss) so he's worth perservering with until he proves otherwise over a number of games.

For me, when Grant returns it's a front two of Grant plus Gornell to start, with Grimes coming on second half.

Plus, we have Adebola and hopefully Reece Gray before too long, along with a wide man on either side in Haworth and Jones. Comparative riches up front, I'd say.

Exactly my point.

IMHO hilly got is spot on with Team selection and tic tacs on Sat.
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:35 - Feb 18 with 740 viewsolympicdale

Oh I know that we need a workhorse, every team needs a striker who will run through brick walls, creating space for his strike partner, and knackering up the opposition in the process. I was just stating that Grimes is with no doubt our strongest, in terms of quality and natural ability, and he should be starting, especially once Grant isn't available, ahead of Gornell, his cameo showed that he doesn't need to run 100mph to be effective, his footballing brain is a class above.

Life is a game of fate.

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 23:38 - Feb 18 with 666 viewspl56

That , for me , sums it up perfectly !
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 07:18 - Feb 19 with 610 viewsaleanddale

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:35 - Feb 18 by olympicdale

Oh I know that we need a workhorse, every team needs a striker who will run through brick walls, creating space for his strike partner, and knackering up the opposition in the process. I was just stating that Grimes is with no doubt our strongest, in terms of quality and natural ability, and he should be starting, especially once Grant isn't available, ahead of Gornell, his cameo showed that he doesn't need to run 100mph to be effective, his footballing brain is a class above.

Grimes footballing brain may be. Its a shame the rest of it cant keep up.

Grimes is petulant and lazy. ( Grant just petulant!! )

he will never change and i agree with you he is a natural finisher. Its just a shame for him he only ever turns it on 1 game in 5 when he starts.

If he did more to contribute then he would have a big future. As it is i am afraid he will never play at the top level.

OD are you a Grimes fan by the way!!!??
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:25 - Feb 19 with 484 viewsnordenblue

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 07:18 - Feb 19 by aleanddale

Grimes footballing brain may be. Its a shame the rest of it cant keep up.

Grimes is petulant and lazy. ( Grant just petulant!! )

he will never change and i agree with you he is a natural finisher. Its just a shame for him he only ever turns it on 1 game in 5 when he starts.

If he did more to contribute then he would have a big future. As it is i am afraid he will never play at the top level.

OD are you a Grimes fan by the way!!!??

"Petulant and lazy" is a cheap shot at a player who's attitude to the game and more importantly the team has seen a massive improvement for a good few months. His brain is different class as is his finishing,his vision for a pass is the finest at the club,its a shame he can't get on the end of his own through balls but sadly he can't be played in 2 positions at once!!!
Im all for opinions but id suggest people take up a different hobby if you can't appreciate what a player like Grimes brings to a team
Login to get fewer ads

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:58 - Feb 19 with 440 viewssandylaner1

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:25 - Feb 19 by nordenblue

"Petulant and lazy" is a cheap shot at a player who's attitude to the game and more importantly the team has seen a massive improvement for a good few months. His brain is different class as is his finishing,his vision for a pass is the finest at the club,its a shame he can't get on the end of his own through balls but sadly he can't be played in 2 positions at once!!!
Im all for opinions but id suggest people take up a different hobby if you can't appreciate what a player like Grimes brings to a team

this.

even if he goes and scores 20 goals for rotherham next season some on here will still think he wasn't good enough to be in our starting 11 more often
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:04 - Feb 19 with 429 viewsStockyhargreave

How many times has Grimes played as part of a front 2? Not many but when he has done his class and ability shines through.

He is never a wide forward or a lone striker but various managers have tried to deploy him in such positions, it hasn't worked and he has looked lazy.

As for his petulance then agreed on that but people seem to forget that at this level though all players lack in certain areas and that's why they are playing for us in league 2!

Get him playing centrally behind Gornell/Grant and we will see what Grimes is all about.
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:18 - Feb 19 with 406 viewsfitzochris

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:04 - Feb 19 by Stockyhargreave

How many times has Grimes played as part of a front 2? Not many but when he has done his class and ability shines through.

He is never a wide forward or a lone striker but various managers have tried to deploy him in such positions, it hasn't worked and he has looked lazy.

As for his petulance then agreed on that but people seem to forget that at this level though all players lack in certain areas and that's why they are playing for us in league 2!

Get him playing centrally behind Gornell/Grant and we will see what Grimes is all about.

I agree with this. Although you have to ask yourself why every manager from Eyre to now has not done so regularly.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:24 - Feb 19 with 393 viewsAtThePeake

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:04 - Feb 19 by Stockyhargreave

Agree with this.

The point however, is not that he is lacking something and that's why he's in League 2. The thing is that it's his mental attributes that are lacking, and it's something that he could improve on if his head was in the right place - hence why it's frustrating. If he worked harder and wasn't as petulant (which is not a physical limitation) then he could be playing at a much higher level.

Tangled up in blue.

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:39 - Feb 19 with 368 viewsStockyhargreave

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:18 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

I agree with this. Although you have to ask yourself why every manager from Eyre to now has not done so regularly.

Modern day fascination with anything other than 4-4-2 and the fact that since Eyre we have always been in a bit of a struggle so Grimes' petulance and perceived lack of effort counts against him in favour of 'harder working' players.

Ideally a team gets built around Grimes but we haven't been in a position recently to do that. The ideal chance would've have been at the start of this season but as we all know Coleman favours a certain formation and style of play!

After last weekend I would love to see a formation based on a 442 but I don't know if Hilly will stick with it.
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:47 - Feb 19 with 353 viewsaleanddale

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 18:25 - Feb 19 by nordenblue

I can appreciate the potential.

Grimes has every chance to turn that into a really positive career.

I admit I have frustrations with any player who can only turn it on when things are going his own way.

1 game in 5 doesn't do it for me.

Earlier in this thread I said just how well he did on Saturday when coming off the bench. I would be happy as anything if our ash proved me wrong and influenced games on a more regular basis.
Keith Hill stamping his mark on 21:11 - Feb 19 with 309 viewsfitzochris

Keith Hill stamping his mark on 19:39 - Feb 19 by Stockyhargreave

Modern day fascination with anything other than 4-4-2 and the fact that since Eyre we have always been in a bit of a struggle so Grimes' petulance and perceived lack of effort counts against him in favour of 'harder working' players.

Ideally a team gets built around Grimes but we haven't been in a position recently to do that. The ideal chance would've have been at the start of this season but as we all know Coleman favours a certain formation and style of play!

After last weekend I would love to see a formation based on a 442 but I don't know if Hilly will stick with it.

Good points.

Although, JC wasn't struggling at the start of this season. Having said that, I think it was clear JC wasn't a fan of Grimes, trying to offload him to Crewe and what not.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024