Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away 13:52 - Mar 16 with 10031 viewsChaffRAFC

Game confirmed on so here's your match thread.

Team news whenever it reaches Twitter.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:25 - Mar 16 with 690 viewsroccydaleian

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 19:03 - Mar 16 by AtThePeake

Boiling it down to the simplest of simple:

If you're a striker, you're on the pitch to score.

Both approximately equal time on the pitch this season:
Grimes has scored 9.
Donnelly has scored 5.

I think we're all also agreed that Grimes has been played out of position for the majority (if not all) of his time at Dale. The one game I remember him playing as part of a front 2, with Ball at Bury last season, we won 4-2 and he scored and played one of his best games.

The reason Grimes probably doesn't work as hard as we'd all like and possibly doesn't have the attitude we'd all love to see him display is because he's been treated like crap since he got here. He's been by far our most clinical attacker, and one of our most gifted natural players, yet has spent half of his time on the bench or stuck out wide or asked to play as a lone striker - which we can all see clearly isn't his game.

If we let him go to Rotherham or wherever, I am so sure that we'll be the ones regretting it, not him.

As for Donnelly, from the games I've seen, I'm yet to see any inkling that he has the ability to be a football league player. And as the saying goes, you can't teach an old dogshit new tricks.

(By the way, I'm also not a big fan of the dogshit nickname but that was just too good an opportunity to miss.)

Well said ATP.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:29 - Mar 16 with 682 viewsjudd

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:18 - Mar 16 by Mass_Debater

your welcome

You're, it's fookin' you're, you retarded, mongy spacker.

I hope.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:36 - Mar 16 with 676 viewsColDale

Grimes has scored 9.
Donnelly has scored 5.

I think we're all also agreed that Grimes has been played out of position for the majority (if not all) of his time at Dale. The one game I remember him playing as part of a front 2, with Ball at Bury last season, we won 4-2 and he scored and played one of his best games.

The reason Grimes probably doesn't work as hard as we'd all like and possibly doesn't have the attitude we'd all love to see him display is because he's been treated like crap since he got here. He's been by far our most clinical attacker, and one of our most gifted natural players, yet has spent half of his time on the bench or stuck out wide or asked to play as a lone striker - which we can all see clearly isn't his game.

If we let him go to Rotherham or wherever, I am so sure that we'll be the ones regretting it, not him.

As for Donnelly, from the games I've seen, I'm yet to see any inkling that he has the ability to be a football league player. And as the saying goes, you can't teach an old dogshit new tricks.

(By the way, I'm also not a big fan of the dogshit nickname but that was just too good an opportunity to miss.)

unfortunately that attitude had been witnessed twice before he'd even played a league game for us, with his kicking out at Wrexham and Crewe. Surely in such a short spaced of time, he couldn't have been mistreated to such an extent for it to have kicked in by then. Grimes has played under three different managers at Spotland, and every one of them has gravitated towards sticking Grimes on the bench.

The bigger picture is that neither Grimes or George have a long term future at the club, and I'd be surprised if either were stll at the club come pre-season. In the short term, whilst we are stuck with them, its probably 50-50 between the two as to ability vs work ethic, but the signal must go out to the entire squad that only 100% will be good enough, and if you're not prepared to give that, then there's no place for you. To do otherwise, is to accept 2nd best.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:39 - Mar 16 with 663 viewsjudd

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:36 - Mar 16 by ColDale

unfortunately that attitude had been witnessed twice before he'd even played a league game for us, with his kicking out at Wrexham and Crewe. Surely in such a short spaced of time, he couldn't have been mistreated to such an extent for it to have kicked in by then. Grimes has played under three different managers at Spotland, and every one of them has gravitated towards sticking Grimes on the bench.

The bigger picture is that neither Grimes or George have a long term future at the club, and I'd be surprised if either were stll at the club come pre-season. In the short term, whilst we are stuck with them, its probably 50-50 between the two as to ability vs work ethic, but the signal must go out to the entire squad that only 100% will be good enough, and if you're not prepared to give that, then there's no place for you. To do otherwise, is to accept 2nd best.

In a word, dogshit

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:42 - Mar 16 with 656 viewsolympicdale

Grimes has scored 9.
Donnelly has scored 5.

"If we let him go to Rotherham or wherever, I am so sure that we'll be the ones regretting it, not him"

That sums it up perfectly, he is by far our most intelligant player, and would strive in an extended run alongside Grant. People bemoan his lack of effort, but that clearly isnt his game, he is a finisher, and a run in the position he should e playing would be evident, bit part appearances out wide an 20/30min cameos arent enough.

I hope he finds somewhere where he will be appreciated, and where he'll be played as a striker, not a plastic winger or the shortest lone striker in history. Its been said before, you either build a team around Grimes or you get rid.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:46 - Mar 16 with 645 viewsSalwaDale

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:42 - Mar 16 by olympicdale

"If we let him go to Rotherham or wherever, I am so sure that we'll be the ones regretting it, not him"

That sums it up perfectly, he is by far our most intelligant player, and would strive in an extended run alongside Grant. People bemoan his lack of effort, but that clearly isnt his game, he is a finisher, and a run in the position he should e playing would be evident, bit part appearances out wide an 20/30min cameos arent enough.

I hope he finds somewhere where he will be appreciated, and where he'll be played as a striker, not a plastic winger or the shortest lone striker in history. Its been said before, you either build a team around Grimes or you get rid.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

So agree with your last sentence. No manager seems to think him good enough to build the team around.

Long term the club will be built around hardworking players who improve through training (we didn't do too bad with that approach last time). I suspect Donnelly is nearer to that than Grimes.

TBBT

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 00:54 - Mar 17 with 550 viewsMass_Debater

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 21:29 - Mar 16 by judd

You're, it's fookin' you're, you retarded, mongy spacker.

I hope.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 02:56 - Mar 17 with 527 viewsNotEyreClue

After having time to reflect on the game I can't believe we lost.

I know it sounds like a typical performance but apart from their two goals we defended really well and we played some very good stuff at times on what was a pudding of a pitch (which was to be expected).

I feel like their first goal just highlighted how odd it was to bring Rose on at right back though. I don't think a natural right footer would have got skinned so easily and the next person barely even put a foot in tbh.

Second goal was a strange one because we weren't really committing that many men forward and yet we were somehow left in an almost impossible situation to defend.

Donnelly should have bagged a goal or two and I can't help but feel like Grimes would have put one of the chances away. With the sticky nature of the pitch I also feel like Grimes would have been more suited to the game with his superior first touch but by the same token, Donnelly was almost certainly chosen simply because he's better in the air than Grimes and that was important with the amount of 'ave it' going on. Problem was, when he won the headers he wasn't flicking it onto anyone.

Bennett looked in pain and I think we missed his attacking threat down the right hand side (especially with how he's being playing recently). Thompson's first touch all game was amongst the worst I've ever seen from a Dale player - truly awful.

Was encouraged because I honestly thought we looked like a unit today on a testing surface but it seems that we just switch off at key moments and that we're getting punished very clinically at the moment.

Onto the next game as Big GD put it..

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 08:36 - Mar 17 with 473 viewsRogietDale

I don't get to many games but went yesterday and Grimes looked lazy. He may or may not be better than Donnelly but lack of effort is inexcusable. When he did get a chance he hit it at the defenders legs.

I have a good friend who is a Millwall fan and he wasn't very complimentary either when he transferred. I really hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 09:27 - Mar 17 with 439 viewsSuddenLad

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers away on 08:36 - Mar 17 by RogietDale

I don't get to many games but went yesterday and Grimes looked lazy. He may or may not be better than Donnelly but lack of effort is inexcusable. When he did get a chance he hit it at the defenders legs.

I have a good friend who is a Millwall fan and he wasn't very complimentary either when he transferred. I really hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it.

He won't.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024