Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halifax game 17:49 - Jul 13 with 7080 viewsdale1996

Any feedback for those of us that are on holiday? who played well? what were the trialists like? what formation did we play? etc
Thanks in advance
Halifax game on 18:15 - Jul 13 with 4969 viewsChaffRAFC

Team lined up:

...............................Thomson.................................

Rafferty..........Maynard.............Eastham..............Tanser

.............................Cavanagh..................................
.....................Lund................Tutte.........................

Henderson.......................................................Grant
............................Donnelly....................................

Absolutely awful game to watch in all fairness and not a good performance from Rochdale really. Never in danger of losing the game and seemed in control but the passing was off, certain players were lacking in work rate and some looked a little rusty.

Cavanagh was probably our best player but Lund did ok as well as Henderson and Maynard looked ok after a shaky first 10 minutes and to be fair, neither centre half covered themselves in glory for the Halifax goal. Ashley Eastham was put under pressure, tried clearing but slipped and that let in their striker who was up against Maynard and beat him far, far too easily.

Dale's first goal came from Donnelly when a Tutte cross was poorly parried by the keeper and landed straight to Donnelly who finished first time.

Was 1-0 at half time but Grant and Tutte were struggling badly.

Grant came into the game a little bit more ( and I mean a little) and his one effort saw him cut in from the right wing and curl a fabulous effort into the far corner to make it 2-0. He came off not long after and Matty Done replaced him but Grant's gestures and waves to the crowd definitely signalled that we'd probably seen him for the last time. Rumours were circulating that Port Vale may be in as well as Blackpool.

George Donnelly had an absolute sitter saved when it was easier to score than miss but he had too much time to think about it, not to unlike Gray's chance on Tuesday.

Halifax scored their goal half way through the second half but the defence on the whole didn't look all that secure. Having seen Maynard play, I don't think he's blessed with pace at all and it showed a couple of times but he looked comfortable on the ball. Same could be said of Eastham as well.

Doubt Hill will be too chuffed despite the testing conditions because, even though the opposition were quite a bit better, we looked much better on Tuesday and seemed to work a lot harder with Hery and Allen in midfield than we did with Tutte and Lund. Lund looked like he had bags of ability and can certainly pick a pass.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Halifax game on 18:25 - Jul 13 with 4912 views442Dale

Cavanagh was excellent. It'll be him and one other in the centre of midfield at the start of the season, at the moment that'd be Tutte as although Lund did ok he looks more like he'd deputise for Cavanagh than complement him. Maybe that view could change with more games.
Tanser was good at left back too; got forward well and stuck to his task against a decent winger.

Concerns: the centre halves are getting used to how Hill wants them to play but their recovery time and positioning when balls go in behind has to improve. It's the sort of function Stanton was excellent at (and you can see why Hill converted Wiseman to a centre half as well). Rhys Bennett could deal with this quite well too, so it'll be interesting to see where he plays on his return.
Up front if Donnelly is going to play he has to have someone up there near him centrally. His decent games last season came as part of a two with Grimes slightly deeper, the obvious solution now would be Henderson or Done doing the same job. Tutte and Lund when playing the advanced midfielder of three play it as such. ie like a midfielder rather than a forward. Donnelly's movement and hold up play is not that of a lone striker.

Grant's goal was very good - hopefully whoever is interested was watching so we can say "another 50k please)

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Halifax game on 18:30 - Jul 13 with 4875 viewsdilligas

I thought the young keeper played well but will be disappointed with their goal. We looked rusty and the passing wasn't at its sharpest, I thought cavanagh, rafferty and tanser played well. Maynard looked no nonsense but needs work on distribution
Halifax game on 18:36 - Jul 13 with 4839 viewsD_Dale

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/reporthalifax-dale-912358.aspx
Halifax game on 18:41 - Jul 13 with 4789 viewsD_Dale

"Attendance today at the Shay Stadium: 1,023 - 459 of which were Dale fans" - according to @officiallydale on Twitter.
Halifax game on 19:28 - Jul 13 with 4596 viewsClivert

Halifax game on 18:15 - Jul 13 by ChaffRAFC

Team lined up:

...............................Thomson.................................

Rafferty..........Maynard.............Eastham..............Tanser

.............................Cavanagh..................................
.....................Lund................Tutte.........................

Henderson.......................................................Grant
............................Donnelly....................................

Absolutely awful game to watch in all fairness and not a good performance from Rochdale really. Never in danger of losing the game and seemed in control but the passing was off, certain players were lacking in work rate and some looked a little rusty.

Cavanagh was probably our best player but Lund did ok as well as Henderson and Maynard looked ok after a shaky first 10 minutes and to be fair, neither centre half covered themselves in glory for the Halifax goal. Ashley Eastham was put under pressure, tried clearing but slipped and that let in their striker who was up against Maynard and beat him far, far too easily.

Dale's first goal came from Donnelly when a Tutte cross was poorly parried by the keeper and landed straight to Donnelly who finished first time.

Was 1-0 at half time but Grant and Tutte were struggling badly.

Grant came into the game a little bit more ( and I mean a little) and his one effort saw him cut in from the right wing and curl a fabulous effort into the far corner to make it 2-0. He came off not long after and Matty Done replaced him but Grant's gestures and waves to the crowd definitely signalled that we'd probably seen him for the last time. Rumours were circulating that Port Vale may be in as well as Blackpool.

George Donnelly had an absolute sitter saved when it was easier to score than miss but he had too much time to think about it, not to unlike Gray's chance on Tuesday.

Halifax scored their goal half way through the second half but the defence on the whole didn't look all that secure. Having seen Maynard play, I don't think he's blessed with pace at all and it showed a couple of times but he looked comfortable on the ball. Same could be said of Eastham as well.

Doubt Hill will be too chuffed despite the testing conditions because, even though the opposition were quite a bit better, we looked much better on Tuesday and seemed to work a lot harder with Hery and Allen in midfield than we did with Tutte and Lund. Lund looked like he had bags of ability and can certainly pick a pass.

As much as I rate Grant I hope the rumours are true as we don't want an unsettled player still on our books come the end of August.

I know rumours are always flying about and I know that there are one or two fantasists that watch Dale but hopefully there are a couple of clubs interested in Bobby Grant.
Halifax game on 19:58 - Jul 13 with 4490 viewsBartRowou

I'm not normally one to get dragged into the kit debate but it was very evident today that there were far more older shirts on show than the current two. The ratio was something like 10:2.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Halifax game on 20:10 - Jul 13 with 4437 viewsSalwaDale

Heat and the pitch didn't help, don't think I've ever seen so many short passes not reach their target.

Cavanagh was definitely the best and looks nailed on for his slot. I was quite impressed with Eastham, apart from the goal, but not so sure on Maynard. Donnelly was Donnelly and I have no doubt he will do his job well, Grant awful first half but improved after a belting goal. Good to see Done back.

After seeing this week's games I'm looking forward to seeing Allen and Hery again, as they impressed on Tuesday in a way that Tutte and Lund didn't quite today.

Today was just another step towards the season. Can't wait for it to start.

TBBT

Login to get fewer ads

Halifax game on 20:12 - Jul 13 with 4424 viewsdale_spotland

As much as I don't like to pay attention to preseason games this early I thought Maynard was absolutely awful today.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Halifax game on 20:18 - Jul 13 with 4392 viewsdilligas

Halifax game on 20:12 - Jul 13 by dale_spotland

As much as I don't like to pay attention to preseason games this early I thought Maynard was absolutely awful today.

I didn't I thought he played quite well
Halifax game on 20:26 - Jul 13 with 4365 viewsDaley_Lama

If today was do or die for Maynard, then I wouldn't be over confident of a contract offer. Thankfully for him however I very much doubt that is the case, Hill has had weeks toblook at him.

The lad in net looked confident enough but hard to tell. Took crosses well, no chance with the goal, only one or two shots on target to deal with.

Thought Tanser had a tough day, got forward well but their number 7 was half decent and beat him a fair few times to put in crosses.

Lund made a few good bursts into the box but the through ball wasn't there, everybody else was adequate without shining, Bobby's goal was his typical left peg magic as seen last season.

Nice ground nowadays, if Halifax stopped shooting for 2 points (is it 2 in RL?) they could easily have won.

Poll: DF in or out

Halifax game on 20:35 - Jul 13 with 4326 views442Dale

Halifax game on 19:58 - Jul 13 by BartRowou

I'm not normally one to get dragged into the kit debate but it was very evident today that there were far more older shirts on show than the current two. The ratio was something like 10:2.

Halifax's kit was the best mix and match you'll see for many a year.

Halifax game on 20:59 - Jul 13 with 4254 viewsBrighouseDale

And just for the record, it felt like it was about forty odd degrees. I've struggled doing my job this week, I'm pretty sure the players had the same problem today.

Did anyone else notice a lad sat on his own near the top in a Blackpool polo shirt? Only noticed him in the second half, wondered if he might have been a trialist or summink.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Halifax game on 21:01 - Jul 13 with 4239 viewsfitzochris

Halifax game on 19:28 - Jul 13 by Clivert

As much as I rate Grant I hope the rumours are true as we don't want an unsettled player still on our books come the end of August.

I know rumours are always flying about and I know that there are one or two fantasists that watch Dale but hopefully there are a couple of clubs interested in Bobby Grant.

Agreed. My friends at the game today said they heard Port Vale, Blackpool and Rotherham all mentioned as destinations. Hopefully one of them is true and we get a fee that reflect Grant's value to this team.

As you say, as good as he is, if he doesn't want to be here, he needs to go.

They said, like you, that his applause seemed a like he was saying farewell.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Halifax game on 21:05 - Jul 13 with 4224 viewsSalwaDale

Halifax game on 21:01 - Jul 13 by fitzochris

Agreed. My friends at the game today said they heard Port Vale, Blackpool and Rotherham all mentioned as destinations. Hopefully one of them is true and we get a fee that reflect Grant's value to this team.

As you say, as good as he is, if he doesn't want to be here, he needs to go.

They said, like you, that his applause seemed a like he was saying farewell.

The sooner it is sorted the better.

The Scottish (I presume anyway) keeper quite impressed me today.

TBBT

Halifax game on 21:07 - Jul 13 with 4204 viewsfitzochris

He is Scottish and I've had a lot of positive comments on Twitter about his ability from those who have seen him play. A lot of disbelief, too, that he has left Celtic.

Halifax game on 21:09 - Jul 13 with 4193 viewsSalwaDale

Halifax game on 21:07 - Jul 13 by fitzochris

He is Scottish and I've had a lot of positive comments on Twitter about his ability from those who have seen him play. A lot of disbelief, too, that he has left Celtic.

Seemed commanding, very loud - could hear his calls right down the far end of the stand. He's not had much to do in the two games he's played so far but he has looked assured.

TBBT

Halifax game on 21:11 - Jul 13 with 4186 views442Dale

Is Lillis injured? I know we need to see trialists but would have expected Lillis to have played some part so far, if only to get used to new defenders.

Halifax game on 21:12 - Jul 13 with 4178 viewsfitzochris

Halifax game on 21:11 - Jul 13 by 442Dale

Is Lillis injured? I know we need to see trialists but would have expected Lillis to have played some part so far, if only to get used to new defenders.

Agree. The silence regarding Lillis' absence is strange.

Halifax game on 21:25 - Jul 13 with 4134 viewsSwissdale

Not massively impressed today, especially considering that won't be far off our starting lineup against Hartlepool (with the exception of match-winner Grant).

Keeper didn't have much to do, but had safe hands when called upon. Back four looked shaky at best, the two full backs are ok at getting forward but were on the back foot several times against average wingers. Centre halfs were the weakest part of the team, Maynard reminded me of that Cart-horse Wayne Thomas we had at the end of last season.

Midfield did OK with cavanagh the best of the three. Henderson played quite well and looked to take on players, with Grant having a terrible first half but scoring the winner when called upon!

Up top worries me. George Donnelly on his own is not good enough. Chasing lost causes wins the affection of fans (nobody can question his endeavour) but won't score you goals. League strikers can't carry on missing the chances he does, second half when he stole the ball from the keeper and didn't manage to get a shot off is a prime example. Looked to have fattened up a little too over summer. At the very least I would like to see Henderson go up top with him.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Halifax game on 21:27 - Jul 13 with 4119 viewsdale_spotland

Halifax game on 21:25 - Jul 13 by Swissdale

Not massively impressed today, especially considering that won't be far off our starting lineup against Hartlepool (with the exception of match-winner Grant).

Keeper didn't have much to do, but had safe hands when called upon. Back four looked shaky at best, the two full backs are ok at getting forward but were on the back foot several times against average wingers. Centre halfs were the weakest part of the team, Maynard reminded me of that Cart-horse Wayne Thomas we had at the end of last season.

Midfield did OK with cavanagh the best of the three. Henderson played quite well and looked to take on players, with Grant having a terrible first half but scoring the winner when called upon!

Up top worries me. George Donnelly on his own is not good enough. Chasing lost causes wins the affection of fans (nobody can question his endeavour) but won't score you goals. League strikers can't carry on missing the chances he does, second half when he stole the ball from the keeper and didn't manage to get a shot off is a prime example. Looked to have fattened up a little too over summer. At the very least I would like to see Henderson go up top with him.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I made the same comment about him reminding me of Wayne Thomas, and that's up there with the worst thing I could say about a defender, however I've only seen him for 90 minutes so can't make a judgement.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Halifax game on 21:50 - Jul 13 with 4021 viewsTalkingSutty

Hillys mantra is keeping possession and loving the ball and as a team we failed dismaly in that department today. It was sloppy from start to finish and the amount of times we underhit simple short passes was amazing.

There was also a lot of aimless long punts and a general lack of awareness. It was a hot day for both teams but the Halifax players seemed to cope better than we did which is strange when you consider we have been training in Tenerife.

At no time did we have any width to our play and all in all it was a very poor showing and one that i dont think Hilly will be happy with, the passing at times was atrocious.
Halifax game on 22:15 - Jul 13 with 3956 viewssandylaner1

not convinced on either center half yet but they will improve with games

maynard was very comfortable in possession and carried it out of defence well but his distribution was poor at times

cavanagh was awesome and kept our play ticking over MOM

lund showed promise, strong in the tackle and made encouraging runs forward and pressured the opposition well

tutte poor first half, better second as started to get on the ball and link up play but looked tired

henderson again got better as the game went on, his close control and movement is a class above

bobs - pulled out of a few early challenges and first half was so poor looked disinterested. second half few nicer touches and superb goal - his style of play and left foot will be missed. nice touch in his celebration and at the end jumping in to crowd to have picture with some young dale fans

gorgeous - worked hard first half. his chance came when again did the hard bit pressing the keeper into a mistake. just took too long and indecisive in the finish - tired last 20 minutes

great to see matty done back in a dale shirt few nice touches looked hungry and ready for the season ahead
Halifax game on 22:30 - Jul 13 with 3911 viewsroccydaleian

Halifax game on 22:15 - Jul 13 by sandylaner1

not convinced on either center half yet but they will improve with games

maynard was very comfortable in possession and carried it out of defence well but his distribution was poor at times

cavanagh was awesome and kept our play ticking over MOM

lund showed promise, strong in the tackle and made encouraging runs forward and pressured the opposition well

tutte poor first half, better second as started to get on the ball and link up play but looked tired

henderson again got better as the game went on, his close control and movement is a class above

bobs - pulled out of a few early challenges and first half was so poor looked disinterested. second half few nicer touches and superb goal - his style of play and left foot will be missed. nice touch in his celebration and at the end jumping in to crowd to have picture with some young dale fans

gorgeous - worked hard first half. his chance came when again did the hard bit pressing the keeper into a mistake. just took too long and indecisive in the finish - tired last 20 minutes

great to see matty done back in a dale shirt few nice touches looked hungry and ready for the season ahead

Agreed.
Halifax game on 22:56 - Jul 13 with 3849 viewssandylaner1

Halifax game on 22:30 - Jul 13 by roccydaleian

Agreed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024