Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s 13:15 - Jul 19 with 15894 viewsqueensparker

Bored at work hanging around and found this link, an article by Eammon Dunphy on a match between Rangers and Millwall in 1966:

Interesting read... Anyone on here at the game?

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Millwallversusthemob.htm

"I played for Millwall for eight seasons from 1966-73. Football hooliganism as we now know it began around 1966, the year England won the World Cup. That the birth of modern soccer hooliganism should coincide with England's finest footballing hour is but one of many ironies in this story.

In March 1966, three months before Alf Ramsay's team won the Jules Rimet trophy, I played for Millwall in a vital promotion game at Queen's Park Rangers. We were seeking promotion from Division Three. Rangers, with their new signing, the young vibrant Rodney Marsh, were a place behind us in the Third Division table. Loftus Road was packed. Marsh scored his first ever goal for QPR, who went on to slaughter us 6-1.

During the second half of this match, an incident took place that became the subject of one of the first "Football Hooligan" stories in the national press. Some-one on the terraces flung a coin - an old, pre-decimal penny which struck our centre-forward Len Juliens on the head drawing blood. Len picked it up and flung it back at the crowd.

Following this disturbance, a QPR official warned via the public address system that the match would be abandoned if there was any more trouble. As this would have invalidated the game and caused a replay, it constituted an obvious invitation to a group of about 30 young Millwall fans, who promptly invaded the pitch.

(Millwall-Histroy Comment:- Eamon is not quite right here. Most of the QPR goals that day had been marked by celebratory pitch invasions. The announcer had warned the crowd that if there were anymore pitch invasion the game would be abandoned. This was just to much temptation for some Millwall fans to resist, who promptly invaded the pitch and sat down in an attempt to get the game abandoned.)

Before the days of barbed wire, spiked railings and cordons of policemen, pitch invasions were child's play. On this March afternoon, order was quickly restored when Millwall manager, Billy Gray, took the microphone to urge the "hotheads", as we then thought of them, to acknowledge Rangers as "the better team on the day" and leave the field. They did.

But a minor wound had been inflicted on Millwall - and yes, it is possible to argue that it was through this small cut that the virus of football hooliganism entered the body of English soccer. In the next game at The Den, smoke bombs were thrown at the Cold Blow Lane end of the ground. Millwall made the headlines again …and yet again following an outbreak of fighting at Oxford the following month."
QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 13:18 - Jul 19 with 15869 viewstoboboly

they're always the fcuking victims

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 13:22 - Jul 19 with 15836 viewsTacticalR

"In 1930, the FA ordered the closure of Loftus Road for two weeks as a result of crowd trouble and had to play outside a six-mile radius"
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2009/09/qpr-at-highbury-against-other-opposition/

Air hostess clique

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 13:33 - Jul 19 with 15792 viewsQPRDave

Standby for the FA to announce an investigation and mark palios will be on talksport
telling everyone we must be deducted points for this.
QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 14:03 - Jul 19 with 15714 viewsMytch_QPR

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 13:33 - Jul 19 by QPRDave

Standby for the FA to announce an investigation and mark palios will be on talksport
telling everyone we must be deducted points for this.

Spot on. We've always been pioneers - plastic pitch, first league ground with all 4 stands having a roof (someone told me this, could be wrong), and our most recent example of trail blazing - buying our way into the Championship.

Didn't we also forget to enter the FA Cup one year? - given our form, this might be a good idea for the future.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 16:09 - Jul 19 with 15554 viewsthemodfather

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 14:03 - Jul 19 by Mytch_QPR

Spot on. We've always been pioneers - plastic pitch, first league ground with all 4 stands having a roof (someone told me this, could be wrong), and our most recent example of trail blazing - buying our way into the Championship.

Didn't we also forget to enter the FA Cup one year? - given our form, this might be a good idea for the future.

danny dyer is reading the scwipt now
"pwoper nowty..they day of the old penny"
didn't millwall invade the pitch after every goal when ipswich won 6-0 at the old den in 77/78??
QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 16:44 - Jul 19 with 15495 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

QPR v Millwall trouble goes back decades. It was a big punch up between the Paddington railway workers and the dockers. It were reet tastee.

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 17:31 - Jul 19 with 15437 viewsW12_Ranger

My dad was at this match when he was 11 remembers it well, he recounts a story told by my great nan. After the match a group of Millwall fans were on the way home on the Hammersmith Line via Ladbroke Grove and my Great Nan happened to be in the same carriage. The Millwall fans on the way home were complaining how rough Shepherds Bush was and it was the biggest shithole they"d ever seen. With regards to the QPR fans they were weren't to impressed complaining how they were the horriblest home fans they"d ever encounted.

Having read the article it kinda fits quite well with this story which I took as being just another drunken ramble from the ole man after a match one day.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 18:09 - Jul 19 with 15380 viewshopphoops

1500 years ago and pwopwius naughtius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Login to get fewer ads

QPR invented hooliganism in the 60s on 19:48 - Jul 19 with 15295 viewsTheBlob

I was at the game.We done 'em good and proppah 6-1,even John Collins got one.
After every goal there was a mini pitch invasion by R's fans and the tannoy pipes up any more crowd incursion and the game would be abandoned.Guess what happens next,Lions fans all over the shop.Someone chucks a coin at Len Julians(?) and he bungs it back.Assorted nastiness then on.I didn't involved being in the Ellerslie slagging off Millwall fans.Rodderrs first game btw.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024