Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it all over for Foolham? 18:03 - Dec 14 with 6037 viewsBrightonhoop

The only thing keeping them off the bottom is Sunderland. :-D
Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:46 - Dec 16 with 1007 viewsRangersw12

Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:27 - Dec 16 by Konk

According to sensible blokes I know who were there, we had about 400. Last time we played at Blackpool we had a similar number to you, and last time you were at Everton, I seem to remember you had about 900-odd — which isn’t exactly amazing. Your away support is generally better than ours, but it’s not difficult to see that the chance to go top of the table is a bigger incentive to bother with a game, than the nailed-on prospect of a 21st consecutive defeat and another £150 down the pan. Our losing run at Goodison is the longest such run in the entire history of English football, so I’m not surprised people don’t bother. As for free travel — dry official coaches? I’d sooner not bother.

Personally, I had my first lie-in for weeks, a nice walk through town, went for a five hour lunch with my wife and some friends and then had a lovely evening at home. I don’t think I’d have enjoyed my day as much if I’d gone to Everton.

I’ve seen Fulham at 90+ grounds, and in the days of foreign billionaire owners, millionaire players and managers on silly money getting £1m+ payouts for failure, I no longer feel a sense of responsibility or duty for getting to as many games as possible. In the age of brands, consumers and £70 tickets for Fulham v Cat A opponents etc, I now weigh up my options and if I’m likely to get more enjoyment out of spending a weekend with friends and family than I am watching Fulham, then I don’t feel any guilt at all about giving the football a swerve. Time and money are both at a premium. I’m doing Norwich in the cup, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Brom, Cardiff, Villa and Stoke before the end of the season, but I’ve only bothered with Southampton up to now. I could have watched us lose 3-0 in a terrible game at West Ham, but had a blinding weekend away instead for more or less the same money.

As for not being missed — I doubt we will be by anyone other than fans who enjoy Fulham as an away day, or the journalists and commentators who all seem to love the Cottage. But I must have missed the ten days of official global mourning that followed your relegation.

I think that is the biggest bite in LFW history....
Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:49 - Dec 16 with 996 viewssimmo

'As for free travel — dry official coaches? I’d sooner not bother.'

Good point.

400 is a poor return, but I wouldnt knock someone for not wanting to add the expense of going to the December/Xmas outgoings list. Exactly the reason I missed Blackpool, never mind how I woud have felt if a loss was guaranteed too

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:54 - Dec 16 with 985 viewsKonk

Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:46 - Dec 16 by Rangersw12

I think that is the biggest bite in LFW history....

I must have missed the massive wind-up, but as far as I can see, this thread involves Fulham are going down, no they’re not, they’re rubbish, their support is rubbish — look — they only had 78 there, they won’t be missed, a joke about bus drivers, and a comparison between numbers taken by the massive divisional favourites to watch their team go top, and a one-off-the-bottom side to go and watch their club increase the worst ever run of consecutive defeats at another ground. I was pointing out that I’d heard we’d taken more, and explaining why I personally can’t be ar sed a lot of the time. If that’s the greatest ever bite/wind-up then that’s a poor show.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:57 - Dec 16 with 979 viewsFFC1

Our support at Everton was dreadful- there's no getting away from that. I don't accept that QPR's away support is generally better (the figures from last season don't bear that out), but just that it varies from game to game. I'd be interested, for instance, in how many QPR took to Millwall on a Saturday at 3PM in the same week we played Palace away on a Monday night on Sky, packed it out and outsung them for 90 minutes (even according to them).

Brentford fans reckon they have better away support because they took more fans to Leeds one season than we took to a Premier League game. Again, I'd be interested in how many they took to Accrington Stanley that season in the league because we played away there in the cup and took 1500 even though we were also taking large support to european away games that season. It's always about context, league position, novelty etc. and not just a case of 'our support's better than yours.'

I'm going to get our excuses in early for Norwich away on Boxing Day. £45 a ticket and playing them in the cup a few days later. Support will be unacceptably dire though. I reckon about 150.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:08 - Dec 16 with 961 viewsKonk

Is it all over for Foolham? on 11:57 - Dec 16 by FFC1

Our support at Everton was dreadful- there's no getting away from that. I don't accept that QPR's away support is generally better (the figures from last season don't bear that out), but just that it varies from game to game. I'd be interested, for instance, in how many QPR took to Millwall on a Saturday at 3PM in the same week we played Palace away on a Monday night on Sky, packed it out and outsung them for 90 minutes (even according to them).

Brentford fans reckon they have better away support because they took more fans to Leeds one season than we took to a Premier League game. Again, I'd be interested in how many they took to Accrington Stanley that season in the league because we played away there in the cup and took 1500 even though we were also taking large support to european away games that season. It's always about context, league position, novelty etc. and not just a case of 'our support's better than yours.'

I'm going to get our excuses in early for Norwich away on Boxing Day. £45 a ticket and playing them in the cup a few days later. Support will be unacceptably dire though. I reckon about 150.

We’ll have more than 150(!), but most of my lot are doing Norwich in the cup, whereas no-one’s bothering with Boxing day — no public transport, £45 tickets, most of Boxing day away from the family, playing there within a fortnight etc.

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:09 - Dec 16 with 955 viewssimmo

You talk about Brentford using one game as a barometer of their general away support, and then you do the same thing based on our 1 game against Millwall against your own visit to a newly promoted team in a game you could/should have won.

Also it is a bad example because getting penned in at the end of a game to try and dodge coins and bits of seat while you wait to get cattled onto a delayed train to London Bridge is the main reason most didn't want to go to Millwall.

I would be VERY surprised if our away support wasnt better than yours generally, even last year when we were fcking awful and guaranteed a beating nearly every week.

BTW i am not really inerested in dick swinging, just thought I would reply.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 12:11]

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:13 - Dec 16 with 945 viewsRangersw12

I think stats show somewhere we have the 11th Best away support in the whole of football league with an average of 1400 odd which will increase with games at Watford , Charlton , Brighton etc to come

For Millwall we sold out the 2000 odd allocation we were given

Norwich on boxing day is a nightmare but no worse than Forest away live on sky at 19:30 I think we have sold about 500 odd for that but do get free travel
[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 12:16]
Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:14 - Dec 16 with 944 viewsdaveB

We sold out for Millwall, think it was 2,000 but we were only given the top tier.

Our away support was pretty good last year but can't say I blame Fulham fans for not going away, the prices are ridiculous, I'll certainly be going to less away games if we go up this season. We had a weekend away in Blackpool last week that with hotels, trains and match ticket came to just over £100. Man City away the day they won the title cost double that for trains and match tickets
Login to get fewer ads

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:19 - Dec 16 with 928 viewsFFC1

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:09 - Dec 16 by simmo

You talk about Brentford using one game as a barometer of their general away support, and then you do the same thing based on our 1 game against Millwall against your own visit to a newly promoted team in a game you could/should have won.

Also it is a bad example because getting penned in at the end of a game to try and dodge coins and bits of seat while you wait to get cattled onto a delayed train to London Bridge is the main reason most didn't want to go to Millwall.

I would be VERY surprised if our away support wasnt better than yours generally, even last year when we were fcking awful and guaranteed a beating nearly every week.

BTW i am not really inerested in dick swinging, just thought I would reply.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 12:11]

OK, but surely QPR fans are not afraid of going to Millwall? We filled it on a Tuesday night when we were in the same division (again, there was a novelty factor, but the upper tier was sold out). QPR take pride in their good support sometimes- with inaccurate class based comments aimed at Fulham fans- so I was a bit surprised by it, that's all
Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:19 - Dec 16 with 927 viewsderbyhoop

It's a facile argument. It's widely acknowledged that, over the last few years, Fulham's away support has been very poor. But, they have been an average PL team for long enough that the novelty of another trip to Goodison to watch the side almost certainly lose, would have waned considerably. If we get promoted and stay in the PL for the next 10 years with the limited ambition of finishing between 10th and 16th, how well would our support hold up.
Another factor may be that, when Fulham were in the doldrums, we were relatively successful and built a sizeable fan base. I know, from this board and my trips to grounds in the Midlands and the North, that many of the QPR fans we see are no longer based in West London but scattered around the country.
As an example, last time I went to Pride Park, 8 of us met up at 1 guy's house in Derby and walked to the ground. All live in the Derby/Derbyshire area.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:24 - Dec 16 with 914 viewssimmo

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:19 - Dec 16 by FFC1

OK, but surely QPR fans are not afraid of going to Millwall? We filled it on a Tuesday night when we were in the same division (again, there was a novelty factor, but the upper tier was sold out). QPR take pride in their good support sometimes- with inaccurate class based comments aimed at Fulham fans- so I was a bit surprised by it, that's all

There is a difference between being 'afraid' and not wanting to go through the ballache of being cattled to and from the ground in a shit hole part of South London. Besides which we sold out our allocation anayway so there's the answer to your original point.

Derby makes a really good point about the novelty wearing off. I don't go just for the football (mostly not at all), so I would probably keep going as long as the people I go with fancy a day out, if it was all about the football I don't think it would take me nearly 10 years of finishing 8th-17th before I decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:38 - Dec 16 with 888 viewsN12Hoop

For me, although there may be the odd away game to go to for the crack of it, generally I want to see my team win and not end up significantly poorer and more miserable than if I just watched updates on the internet.

Watching us away in the Premiership was pretty painful, with a virtually guaranteed defeat. But in the first season or two there is a novelty around visiting grounds. But after a few years of it? I don;t blame Fulham fans at all, and it doesn;t make them any lesser supporters in my view.

At least on a Tuesday night visit to Barnsley we know we have a real chance of winning. But i get no joy watching us play awfully and losing, and since I don;t drink there is no pain relief. 23 (or 19) home games is more than enough for me and all that money saved goes towards more enjoyble things. Sure there could be the odd night like at the scum last year, but overall the cost and misery over the year is not worth it.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:40 - Dec 16 with 885 viewsLowerloftLad

If fulham drop then we really do need to get back up think of all then smug chelscum fans lapping it up ...... not on my watch

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:48 - Dec 16 with 868 viewshoof_hearted

Yeah but my Dad's 9 firemen.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:53 - Dec 16 with 819 viewshoof_hearted

Fulham fans know that long term they cannot survive in the PL with the home gate never mind the away support.

We know we can't manage on 18,000 capacity and Fulham have the same income from 25,000 once the cost of the clappers is deducted.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:23 - Dec 16 with 801 viewsrrrspricey

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:53 - Dec 16 by hoof_hearted

Fulham fans know that long term they cannot survive in the PL with the home gate never mind the away support.

We know we can't manage on 18,000 capacity and Fulham have the same income from 25,000 once the cost of the clappers is deducted.

I thought the clappers were shared between Fulham & the FA?

I have no problem at all with Fulham. They're a local rival and consequently i want to be playing them every season so i for one hope they stay up.

As for their away support, it is mildly amusing but how many of those on here mocking them actually went to Goodison the last two seasons?
Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:49 - Dec 16 with 765 viewsKonk

I can only think that it's an admin error, but according to our website, Norwich away on Boxing day is sold-out. We normally fill our section there, but pleasantly surprised for Boxing day, even if it is a smaller allocation. Bound to be a cock-up by our ticket office.

Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:56 - Dec 16 with 753 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:23 - Dec 16 by rrrspricey

I have no problem at all with Fulham. They're a local rival and consequently i want to be playing them every season so i for one hope they stay up.

As for their away support, it is mildly amusing but how many of those on here mocking them actually went to Goodison the last two seasons?

Eh,we did.In fact I only missed out on 5 away games last year.It seemed the worse we got,the more I wanted to go.
I do agree that the prices that away fans have to pay in the premier league are a joke,and the novelty would wear off eventually.
The thing is though,with free travel on offer,surely that should have encouraged more to go just in the hope that their awful run at Goodison would come to an end.The same as ours at Forest has to end sometime.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:02 - Dec 16 with 745 viewsKonk

Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:56 - Dec 16 by stowmarketrange

Eh,we did.In fact I only missed out on 5 away games last year.It seemed the worse we got,the more I wanted to go.
I do agree that the prices that away fans have to pay in the premier league are a joke,and the novelty would wear off eventually.
The thing is though,with free travel on offer,surely that should have encouraged more to go just in the hope that their awful run at Goodison would come to an end.The same as ours at Forest has to end sometime.

I think the deal is the first 200 people to apply got free travel on the official coaches. Each to their own, but I’ve only ever done three club coaches, each because I was skint, much younger and I couldn’t afford an over-nighter for an away game. I would have to be really, really struggling, and the game of incredible importance to ever put myself through it again. Watching Fulham sober is enough of a challenge, spending the day cooped-up on a bus with a bunch of oddbods was the icing on the cake.

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:05 - Dec 16 with 736 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:02 - Dec 16 by Konk

I think the deal is the first 200 people to apply got free travel on the official coaches. Each to their own, but I’ve only ever done three club coaches, each because I was skint, much younger and I couldn’t afford an over-nighter for an away game. I would have to be really, really struggling, and the game of incredible importance to ever put myself through it again. Watching Fulham sober is enough of a challenge, spending the day cooped-up on a bus with a bunch of oddbods was the icing on the cake.

But luckily the coaches get there early enough to get lashed inside the ground,and there wouldn't have been much of a queue.A few more at half time and sleep on the coach on the way back.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:08 - Dec 16 with 729 viewsdaveB

Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:23 - Dec 16 by rrrspricey

I went to both games at Goodison, going again next month as well
Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:12 - Dec 16 with 719 viewsKonk

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:05 - Dec 16 by stowmarketrange

But luckily the coaches get there early enough to get lashed inside the ground,and there wouldn't have been much of a queue.A few more at half time and sleep on the coach on the way back.

On my three trips — Stockport, Bradford and Wrexham — we were held at Service stations for bloody ages and then got parked-up outside the grounds about twenty minutes before kick-off. Probably because the local plod realised that an assortment of Fulham oddbods posed a major security threat. And whilst I love a beer before and after a game, I rarely drink in grounds as I just can’t get excited about a warm Carlsberg and spending half the match in the khazi. But you’re right — there wouldn’t have been much of a queue on Saturday!

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:18 - Dec 16 with 705 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:12 - Dec 16 by Konk

On my three trips — Stockport, Bradford and Wrexham — we were held at Service stations for bloody ages and then got parked-up outside the grounds about twenty minutes before kick-off. Probably because the local plod realised that an assortment of Fulham oddbods posed a major security threat. And whilst I love a beer before and after a game, I rarely drink in grounds as I just can’t get excited about a warm Carlsberg and spending half the match in the khazi. But you’re right — there wouldn’t have been much of a queue on Saturday!

I remember me and my mate went to Everton on the official coach and got there early enough to find a pub.We followed this Rangers fan into the Stanley Arms,and as soon as he got through the doors he said far too loud for my liking," I f*cking hate scousers."
We decided against joining him for a drink.
Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:42 - Dec 16 with 681 viewstoboboly

Is it all over for Foolham? on 12:19 - Dec 16 by FFC1

We sold out both previous games at the Den from memory, and one of those was a week night.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Is it all over for Foolham? on 14:49 - Dec 16 with 1143 viewsMrSheen

Is it all over for Foolham? on 13:49 - Dec 16 by Konk

I can only think that it's an admin error, but according to our website, Norwich away on Boxing day is sold-out. We normally fill our section there, but pleasantly surprised for Boxing day, even if it is a smaller allocation. Bound to be a cock-up by our ticket office.

This is why.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/fulham-pl-h-161213-1239421.aspx

And no, I wouldn't choose to spend Boxing Day on the A11 either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024