Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uniteds first goal yesterday 11:26 - Jan 12 with 1815 viewsDarran

Why is there such a thing as the offside rule?
Why don't they just scrap it altogether so there's no grey areas?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:31 - Jan 12 with 1783 viewsmawdlamjack

Valencia clearly tried to jump for the ball and unsighted ash when he was in an offside position, he was onside when the ball came back to him but the linesman should have flagged when the cross came in

on the northbank since 64 now languishing in the east stand

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:34 - Jan 12 with 1781 viewsDarran

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:31 - Jan 12 by mawdlamjack

Valencia clearly tried to jump for the ball and unsighted ash when he was in an offside position, he was onside when the ball came back to him but the linesman should have flagged when the cross came in

Exactly,scrap the rule and leave the defenders cope with goal hangers,it's a pointless rule in the modern day game.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:36 - Jan 12 with 1768 views3swan

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:34 - Jan 12 by Darran

Exactly,scrap the rule and leave the defenders cope with goal hangers,it's a pointless rule in the modern day game.

Posted last night that the goal could have been give offside.
It's just been highlighted by Chris Kamara on Sky.

And yes I agree with you let's do away with it all together.
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:38 - Jan 12 with 1756 viewsDarran

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:36 - Jan 12 by 3swan

Posted last night that the goal could have been give offside.
It's just been highlighted by Chris Kamara on Sky.

And yes I agree with you let's do away with it all together.

It's clearly a pointless rule Clive and scrapping it would either create better defending or more goals.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:40 - Jan 12 with 1737 viewsexiledclaseboy

The rule itself isn't pointless but the myriad different "interpretations" of it are making it a joke. It should be simple. If you're offside, the flag goes up and it's a free kick. None of this phase of play or interfering with play nonsense. You're either offside or you're not.

Poll: Tory leader

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:44 - Jan 12 with 1708 views3swan

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:40 - Jan 12 by exiledclaseboy

The rule itself isn't pointless but the myriad different "interpretations" of it are making it a joke. It should be simple. If you're offside, the flag goes up and it's a free kick. None of this phase of play or interfering with play nonsense. You're either offside or you're not.

That's old school

In the end what does it bring to the game? If a team want's to leave a player up field then defend against it.

Maybe it will encourage more hoofball but only in the short term
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 11:56 - Jan 12 with 1673 views2face

I just think the FA needs to join the 21st century and introduce video refs. Then the grey areas will get a lot smaller. Right now the margin of error is of planet size proportions.

The referees can basically dicide the games to their own liking and get away with it because nobody expects the officials to get anywhere near making correct calls. Nobody will blink an eye if a linesman makes an off side call that is 3 yards wrong. And with all the other things they also has to watch out for like interference of play etc. it just becomes ridiculous.

In speed and endurance competitions they have used goal line photo technology to make milimeter precise decisions for decades. Football needs that kind of technology to get us out of the corrupt and deeply unsatisfactory officiating situation we are in right now.

I'm not sure what is most corrupt boxing or football. But we're in that bracket. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than 20% of games where the wrong team is winning because of referee mistakes. And expecially off side rullings are a joke as it is now.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2014 12:21]
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:02 - Jan 12 with 1640 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I think we should do away with the outdated and crude idea of deciding games by who scores the most goals. Instead, a panel of judges will asses the quality of passing triangles, sideways passes, amount of possession (wherever it is) and overall aesthetic of each teams play and declare a winner at the end. Goals scored would merely be a tie-breaker.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Login to get fewer ads

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:03 - Jan 12 with 1634 viewsexiledclaseboy

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:02 - Jan 12 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I think we should do away with the outdated and crude idea of deciding games by who scores the most goals. Instead, a panel of judges will asses the quality of passing triangles, sideways passes, amount of possession (wherever it is) and overall aesthetic of each teams play and declare a winner at the end. Goals scored would merely be a tie-breaker.

Sounds like ice skating or gymnastics.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:06 - Jan 12 with 1618 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:03 - Jan 12 by exiledclaseboy

Sounds like ice skating or gymnastics.

Sounds like Swansea City, Premier League Champions to me...

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:16 - Jan 12 with 1582 viewsunion_jack

I've always said that the off side rule should be scrapped. However, I don't know whether the game would be more farcical.

If it created more goals would that be a good thing. Goals are precious and the last thing I'd like to see is something along the same lines as basketball. Not saying it would but.....?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:23 - Jan 12 with 1548 viewsRancid

Thought exactly this yesterday when seeing the game.There was no way United were gonna lose that game yesterday.
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:29 - Jan 12 with 1538 viewsNOTRAC

As the rules stand United's first goal was offside. What is sad is that it wasn't commented on either during the game or in match of the day last night.If it was the other way round and Swansea had scored such a goal it would have been debated and analysed till kingdom come.
There is so much bias on the media ,it is far worse than poor ref's decisions.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:43 - Jan 12 with 1486 viewsCatullus

I don't see a grey area, Valencia was offside. The cross came in, he jumped and our player tried to head it because he was aware Valencia was behind him. He was plainly interfering, he was right in front of the keeper and if he hadn't been there he probably wouldn't have been in position to score when the ball came back in. That said, Chico has become a liability. Whenever he plays, we look vulnerable.
And why didn't Laudrup push Rangel up, Pozuelo inside and put Taylor on at full back? No one would have been in a position they weren't familiar with then. Amat did ok but we would have been more solid with my suggestion.
And the offside rule can't be scrapped, games would be a joke. You'd have strikers just standing on the penalty spot waiting.
Instead we need the lino to only run the last third of the pitch and have the 4th official take care of the middle third. And then make it so you can only be offside in the last third. Lino's should be able to keep up with play then, but they can still make calls for fouls in the middle third if they see them.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 14:44 - Jan 12 with 1365 viewsexiledclaseboy

Another offside farce at St James's Park. Newcastle equalise from a 20 yard shot. Three Newcastle players in "offside" positions but the ball goes straight in. Linesman didn't flag. City complain, ref goes to speak to the linesman and they agree to disallow the goal and give a free kick for offside. F*cking shambles.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 14:48 - Jan 12 with 1351 viewsdan_swansea

Shocking decision at St James' Park as well. Big clubs get the big decisions

Poll: Safe standing; what's your thoughts?

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 14:51 - Jan 12 with 1338 viewsDarran

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 14:44 - Jan 12 by exiledclaseboy

Another offside farce at St James's Park. Newcastle equalise from a 20 yard shot. Three Newcastle players in "offside" positions but the ball goes straight in. Linesman didn't flag. City complain, ref goes to speak to the linesman and they agree to disallow the goal and give a free kick for offside. F*cking shambles.

Scrap it.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 15:44 - Jan 12 with 1240 viewsSkaFace

MotD highlighted this in the post match replay showing the line for the last man and circled Valencia, he was offside but Manky or the others didn't even mention it.
Needs to go old school without interpretation for the speed of decision to be made. If an attacking player over the halfway is anywhere between an opposition defender and goalkeeper they are interfering with play.
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 15:49 - Jan 12 with 1222 viewsRancid

They didn't seem to show much of our good play and few chances in the first half i noticed.The whole episode was about United and the fear of losing 3 in a row at OT for the first time in a thousand years.

Not really surprising though,if it wasn't us it had been another club.
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 15:56 - Jan 12 with 1202 viewsAnotherJohn

Interestingly Sky Sports Germany (on satellite) did mention the offside during the live commentary and even showed the frozen frame picture with the line inserted indicating the offside. This suggests to me that the backroom staff at Sky prepared this, but the UK commentary team decided not to use it.
Uniteds first goal yesterday on 16:43 - Jan 12 with 1124 viewsjack_lord

My 9 year old daughter said straight away why wasn't that offside.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 18:57 - Jan 12 with 1024 viewsJackhero

I know this sounds like small club syndrome but it's starting to smack in the face now!

1st half we play some great football, have as many if not more chances than Utd and its ' a very poor uneventful half of football'. Sky are c nuts. only Mr Jamie Redknapp praised us at all.

2nd half Utd score and only 10 minutes into the half sky commentators are saying what a great half of football its become. Glad I don't subscribe to the fckers to contribute to their wages. Waste of space the lot of them.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 21:09 - Jan 12 with 949 viewsGriffting

Its not the rule that needs changing, its the officials! Actually, if they were to make a change i think it should be if any part of you is onside, then you're onside. The game would be spoilt if it was scrapped altogether though.
Uniteds first goal yesterday (n/t) on 12:25 - Jan 13 with 803 viewsDevz00

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:06 - Jan 12 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:25 - Jan 13 with 802 viewsDevz00

Uniteds first goal yesterday on 12:06 - Jan 12 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Ha, brilliant!

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024