Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spend Or Struggle.. 18:33 - May 6 with 4499 viewsdale1968

After the barnstorming close to the season it is absolutely fantastic what BBM and the players have achieved to retain our L1 status.

So a bit of a hypothetical question given the choice would you want the club to take a risk and splash the cash to try and ensure a bit more of a positive season next time out.

Or

Continue in the same vein and build a squad of freebies and loan players and struggle again..

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Spend Or Struggle.. on 18:39 - May 6 with 3655 views1907

The issue with your post is that last season was our biggest budget squad ever. Up more than 30% on the previous season.

I believe we will be looking to spend less but recruit smarter.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 18:54 - May 6 with 3598 viewsfrenzied

Whilst we remain in league one..these are Dales halcyon days.

Any hope of promotion would take a massive spend of money we don’t have..at least 7 or 8 new players would be necessary to take us anywhere near a top 6 place.

Hopefully we can get some good quality loanees for next season..we have got out of jail this season again..thankfully others fell apart whilst we resurfaced after looking sunk..
Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:04 - May 6 with 3558 viewselectricblue

BBM needs to remove the dead wood and manage a smaller squad with better players.
Be more prudent in the loan market......

As somebody said on another post summer will be interesting....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:14 - May 6 with 3534 viewsisitme

It's all about better value for money. Rumour has it that Done is on a big contract but has not really played up to it and will be released. I suspect Wilbraham and Perkins were on a decent wage but over the course of the season did not really prove value for money.

As others have said a smaller squad would be better but featuring better quality starters and a variety of players with different attributes. We are crying out for real pace upfront, a left back and an experienced holding midfielder. Players like Keohane could offer depth in a number of positions and probably not be on a great deal wage wise.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:18 - May 6 with 3517 viewsnordenblue

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:14 - May 6 by isitme

It's all about better value for money. Rumour has it that Done is on a big contract but has not really played up to it and will be released. I suspect Wilbraham and Perkins were on a decent wage but over the course of the season did not really prove value for money.

As others have said a smaller squad would be better but featuring better quality starters and a variety of players with different attributes. We are crying out for real pace upfront, a left back and an experienced holding midfielder. Players like Keohane could offer depth in a number of positions and probably not be on a great deal wage wise.

While I agree with your post in general, I'd say Wilbraham was a massive influence on us actually keeping our league 1 status, his last few games after Hilly left showed exactly what he brings to the side.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:26 - May 6 with 3482 viewsisitme

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:18 - May 6 by nordenblue

While I agree with your post in general, I'd say Wilbraham was a massive influence on us actually keeping our league 1 status, his last few games after Hilly left showed exactly what he brings to the side.

His influence since BBM took over has been excellent. I still would not pay him the reported (which could well be way off the mark) £3,000 a week he was on this season, when he featured in probably a third of the games this season. I do appreciate that it was probably not down to the player himself.

Removing sentiment I would not offer him a contract for next season as his wage could be better used elsewhere, although I do appreciate his effort during the last 10 games of the season.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:26 - May 6 with 3481 viewsdiver

Why not?Bury got away with it!!
Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:30 - May 6 with 3460 viewsmacro

Look through the leagues - Fulham spend 100m dreadful
Norwich spend 1 million promoted
Bradford, Plymouth notts county all have big budgets for their divisions.

It's about spending smartly with the wages from cannon perkins, mcgahey, Moore not filled plus released players there should be some wriggle room
Login to get fewer ads

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:36 - May 6 with 3414 viewsnordenblue

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:26 - May 6 by isitme

His influence since BBM took over has been excellent. I still would not pay him the reported (which could well be way off the mark) £3,000 a week he was on this season, when he featured in probably a third of the games this season. I do appreciate that it was probably not down to the player himself.

Removing sentiment I would not offer him a contract for next season as his wage could be better used elsewhere, although I do appreciate his effort during the last 10 games of the season.

If we can get him to play 20-30 odd games next season like he did his last 10 he's well worth the money at this level, just think players like him with his experience around the pitch are well worth having about the team.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 09:29 - May 7 with 2864 viewsCreepy

Think I've managed to learn over the years not to judge any signings until well into the season. Remember signing a run of the mill striker, released by Colchester, a striker from Hyde who we'd released once already and a centre back from Radcliffe. All on the face of it underwhelming signings.

In fact, I'm struggling to recall any permanent signings in recent times that I thought were great at the time and turned out that way.

What BBM has proved (and Hill for the vast majority of his tenure) is that having a settled team, with players in their natural positions and a system that everyone is comfortable with can make you competitive.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 10:57 - May 7 with 2711 viewsDaleiLama

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:36 - May 6 by nordenblue

If we can get him to play 20-30 odd games next season like he did his last 10 he's well worth the money at this level, just think players like him with his experience around the pitch are well worth having about the team.

He was the only one to complete the cross bar challenge …….. but don't know how many attempts he had?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:53 - May 7 with 2536 viewselectricblue

Everybody is nearly left footed not surprised there was no balance in the team on the pitch...

Spend Or Struggle.. on 13:16 - May 7 with 2448 viewsChaffRAFC

Spend Or Struggle.. on 19:26 - May 6 by isitme

Nail on head!

It's a big wage, along with Done, that can and should be better spent on alternatives who will offer more.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Spend Or Struggle.. on 13:25 - May 7 with 2410 viewsoff2div1

Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:53 - May 7 by electricblue

Everybody is nearly left footed not surprised there was no balance in the team on the pitch...

Pity none of them can play left back/wing back.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 13:27 - May 7 with 2400 viewsD_Alien

Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:53 - May 7 by electricblue

I just love your non sequitors

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Spend Or Struggle.. on 15:10 - May 7 with 2246 viewsfitzochris

Last summer, Keith Hill was given an increased playing budget to ensure we didn’t come as close to relegation as we did in 2017/18. One particular point of view is that certain board members were unhappy that this increased budget was used to “reward players who had almost seen us relegated” and to bring in others who were “a little long in the tooth to justify the money on offer”. However, Hill was trusted given his previous track record, which was fair enough. Yet the wheels soon fell off when it became apparent as early as September that a similar season of struggle awaited.

Given that other off-field ventures hadn’t yielded the expected income, it has been suggested that a decision was taken at board level, that players simply had to be sold or offloaded in the January transfer window. I doubt whatever was gained during this period will be shared with BBM this summer. I suspect that the January income was very much about getting us back to somewhere near an even keel financially.

If anything, I suspect BBM, for 2019/20, may have a smaller budget than in any of our previous League One campaigns. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as previous seasons have demonstrated that we are much better with smaller squads than we have been with larger pools of players under Hill or, for example, Steve Eyre.

While it is unknown whether or not BBM can make us competitive with his available budget, whatever it might be, pressure will also be on the current custodians of the club to generate additional income while also respecting the feelings and traditions of the fanbase.

Here’s hoping they all succeed.

I don’t think anybody is expecting us to rip up the division next season, or even reach the play-offs, but I’m sure we’re all hopeful for a competitive team and a general feeling of harmony around the club. These past two seasons have been exhausting.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Spend Or Struggle.. on 18:13 - May 7 with 2003 viewsaleanddale

Spend Or Struggle.. on 09:29 - May 7 by Creepy

Think I've managed to learn over the years not to judge any signings until well into the season. Remember signing a run of the mill striker, released by Colchester, a striker from Hyde who we'd released once already and a centre back from Radcliffe. All on the face of it underwhelming signings.

In fact, I'm struggling to recall any permanent signings in recent times that I thought were great at the time and turned out that way.

What BBM has proved (and Hill for the vast majority of his tenure) is that having a settled team, with players in their natural positions and a system that everyone is comfortable with can make you competitive.

Agree with this Creepy.

You just never know who the next Dale star man will come from!

Hilly asked for +30% for last years budget.

I suspect we will go back 2 years and BBM will be 30% light on this years playing budget compared to the low risk gamble the board took last season.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 18:27 - May 7 with 1985 viewsShun

Spend Or Struggle.. on 09:29 - May 7 by Creepy

NML’s the only signing I can think of who I expected good things of and seemed to exceed those expectations.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 08:57 - May 8 with 1654 views1907

For clarity - the directors confirmed we will be operating under a substantially smaller budget for the coming season.
Spend Or Struggle.. on 10:14 - May 8 with 1560 views100notout

Spend Or Struggle.. on 08:57 - May 8 by 1907

For clarity - the directors confirmed we will be operating under a substantially smaller budget for the coming season.

unlike bury, bolton and lots of other teams we are cutting our cloth in line with our income ...........and rightly so

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Spend Or Struggle.. on 11:44 - May 8 with 1452 viewsD_Alien

Spend Or Struggle.. on 10:14 - May 8 by 100notout

unlike bury, bolton and lots of other teams we are cutting our cloth in line with our income ...........and rightly so

It's a question, therefore, of what do we prefer?

Touching cloth with relegation, or touching cloth with extinction

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Spend Or Struggle.. on 11:58 - May 8 with 1416 viewselectricblue

Spend Or Struggle.. on 08:57 - May 8 by 1907

substantially.
Just makes you wonder how much less than hill was given.
Cant remember what the last budget was aslong as long as this coming seasons budget isnt one that may cause signing issues.....

Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:02 - May 8 with 1405 views1907

Spend Or Struggle.. on 11:58 - May 8 by electricblue

substantially.
Just makes you wonder how much less than hill was given.
Cant remember what the last budget was aslong as long as this coming seasons budget isnt one that may cause signing issues.....

For wages across the board it could be nigh on 5 mill with the consolidation of accounts & employees
Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:11 - May 8 with 1384 viewsSuddenLad

That extra 30% was almost entirely expended on just 2 players. One is now with Tranmere, so that aspect of the budget went with him.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Spend Or Struggle.. on 12:13 - May 8 with 1379 viewsJames1980

Was the 30% increase including wages, bonuses etc or just transfer fees?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024