Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan Milburn 21:24 - Nov 26 with 2181 viewsEllDale

I’m just reading a library book called “Two Brothers” by Jonathan Wilson which is an autobiography of Jack and Bobby Charlton.
Immensely readable, an early chapter explores their family roots and of course Uncle Stan gets more than a passing a mention.
The Charlton’s granddad was Tanner Milburn who was, amongst other things, a notable sprint coach and a bookies runner. In a direct quote, a “rogue”.
Anyway, all his four sons became footballers but Stan was “probably a better sprinter than a footballer” and competed in professional events like the Morpeth Olympics which used to attract prize money of £20, no small amount in those days.
The thing is, I can’t seem to remember overly blessed with pace when I used to watch him in the the 1960s at Spotland,
A smashing player and good fullback/centre forward, but rapid?
Perhaps it didn’t register with me at the time or maybe he’d lost some pace by then but does anyone else who remembers those days recall him as being so fast?
Stan Milburn on 22:50 - Nov 26 with 2092 viewssamueloneils

Stan was very fast, especially in his Leicester days. He was also an England B International- in the days when this was an unofficial England reserve team.
When he came to us he was in his 30`s, but but still put in a good sprint and had the most amazing sliding tackle from behind the player, nearly always managing to hook the ball clear. It would probably be called a foul nowadays.
I think he held a record at one time for the number of goals scored by a fullback in one season.,though I think this was technically wrong as he occasionally played centre forward and also took penalties which suggested more.
Best fullback I have ever seen at Spotland.
Stan Milburn on 09:31 - Nov 27 with 1954 viewsBigKindo

Stan Milburn on 22:50 - Nov 26 by samueloneils

Stan was very fast, especially in his Leicester days. He was also an England B International- in the days when this was an unofficial England reserve team.
When he came to us he was in his 30`s, but but still put in a good sprint and had the most amazing sliding tackle from behind the player, nearly always managing to hook the ball clear. It would probably be called a foul nowadays.
I think he held a record at one time for the number of goals scored by a fullback in one season.,though I think this was technically wrong as he occasionally played centre forward and also took penalties which suggested more.
Best fullback I have ever seen at Spotland.

... and having been near neighbours in Passmonds a really nice guy.
Stan Milburn on 21:49 - Dec 13 with 1384 viewsrobtheb

Stan Milburn on 09:31 - Nov 27 by BigKindo

... and having been near neighbours in Passmonds a really nice guy.

A regular in Spotland Reform, and a decent snooker player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024