Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Billy Foulkes 23:45 - Nov 27 with 993 viewsDiddyDave

Thought Arthur Daley might`ve put summat on here about Billy,but I will. Never exactly set the world on fire,but he was a dependable defender who probably went on a bit too long,though he scored a goal in the `68 European Cup semi final,second leg in Madrid that enabled United to sneak a 3-3 draw and went on to beat Benfica at Wembley where he got his just reward of a winners medal for his loyalty. Busby knew his frailties though and tried to sign Mike England from Blackburn,but wouldn`t pay the 95,000 pounds,so England went to Spurs where he had a top career. United signed an even older stop gap,Ian Ure from Arsenal,before realising that David Sadler was a better replacement at the back. I think there`s only Bobby Charlton and Harry Gregg still alive now from the Babes who crashed in Munich in `58.
RIP Billy Foulkes on 11:25 - Nov 28 with 930 viewsD_Alien

I remember listening to Foulkes goal on the radio as a lad. United were trailing 3-1 in the second leg after their 1-0 win at Old Trafford (courtesy of G. Best). It didn't sound good because Real were all over United, but then a breakaway occurred and when the commentator announced who'd scored it was a mixture of relief, laughter and disbelief!

What on earth a centre-half who never ventured beyond the halfway line was doing at the end of a breakaway was anyones guess (in the days before centre-backs used to come up for corners!)

At 3-2 United were going through on away goals; it went to 3-3 and the rest is history.

Bearing in mind, this was also in the days before there was any significant hatred of United. Indeed the vast majority were willing them on, the tidal wave of sympathy from the events in Munich 10 years earlier culminating at Wembley a few weeks later.

Bill Foulkes has his place in history. RIP.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Billy Foulkes on 18:40 - Nov 28 with 846 viewsArthurDaley

I thought about putting something on, but thought not a lot of people would know about Billy.
In Dales darker days, and Billy coming to the end of his carer, we made him an offer of the managers job. Silly man never took it. I cant think why not.

A large VAT Dave

RIP Billy Foulkes on 20:14 - Dec 13 with 749 viewsDiddyDave

I read at Billy`s funeral,Bobby Charlton said Billy would turn up for training still with coal dust on his face from his job down the mine,somewhere near his home in St.Helens. The modern spoilt brat player wouldn`t even know what a coal mine was!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024