Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin 11:44 - Dec 21 with 6275 viewsYouTubeDale

It was reported on the national TV news and regional news (NWT) that there were many agencies that could have done much more to prevent the "Rochdale " sex grooming scandal or at least stop it from getting out of hand. Yes, a story that needs to be told and highlighted. But it is the way that the story is fed to the nation which upsets me. There are many powerful images shot on our TV screens to make this report. They show Heywood at night, and therefore dark pools of water with the camera looking to the floor. Dark, narrow alleyways feature, and in the main studio whilst our MP Simon Danczuk is talking there is a massive picture of Rochdale town flats (the 7 sisters) taken from a distance but even more crucially showing heavy electric pylon cables across the whole picture in the foreground. It's as if Rochdale is behind bars!! The negative overtones are obvious to some, but more subliminal to others. They could have shown a million other more positive images even from different angles but NO, they want to paint Rochdale darker and darker than it actually is. The pictures of the minority British Asian scum who were convicted gives a poor image of "Rochdale" nationally, but coupled with these other images, it just rubs our noses in it even more. The reporters know EXACTLY what they are doing. Instead they should recognise that the vast majority of Rochdale folk are good people and they should give us a break. Yes, report it, as I have said, but don't stick the boot in whilst we are down.

Recently another NWT journalist was sent to Rochdale to report some positive news for once !!! We are about to open up the River Roch in the centre and reveal a medieval bridge. Now they could have picked anyone to be interviewed in the general public. Who do they choose? A young Asian lad with his simple comments using the word "innit" and a peculiar looking older lady. Again, images, images, images. These journalists have got it in for Rochdale.

Finally, "images" used against "Rochdale" when the media could use the word "Heywood". They say "Littleborough" but don't mention Rochdale. More controversially perhaps, I concede, they say Middleton (thinking of Lee Rigby) and not Rochdale. So why isn't it Heywood, Heywood, Heywood ringing in our ears and sent out into the Nation's memory boxes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is pantomime season when everything is exaggerated into black and white, good or evil. Rochdale is very much evil and very dark (black) in the eyes of the media. Like I said, give us a break and start representing the vast, vast majority of Rochdale folk in GOOD light. Point your cameras in just a slightly different direction and you will see WHITE and GOOD...oh yes you will !!!!!!

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 12:33 - Dec 21 with 6200 viewsD_Alien

Well said.

I suspect there will be similar cases of grooming in virtually every major centre of population in the UK with a significant asian minority, some of which have been reported and others which have yet to come to light, or are being deliberately downplayed. But Rochdale's fair game for this type of reporting.

We're used to adversity, it's what makes us who we are. It's unfair and it's wrong, but we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 12:43 - Dec 21 with 6183 viewsSuddenLad

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 12:33 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Well said.

I suspect there will be similar cases of grooming in virtually every major centre of population in the UK with a significant asian minority, some of which have been reported and others which have yet to come to light, or are being deliberately downplayed. But Rochdale's fair game for this type of reporting.

We're used to adversity, it's what makes us who we are. It's unfair and it's wrong, but we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Spot on, but unless and until there is/are similar high-profile cases elsewhere, Rochdale will always be the benchmark for paedophile depravity, systematic child abuse and benefit scroungers.

As always, the press can 'make' or 'break' anything with their biased slant. Those who live here are the ones who know the truth. That's more important.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:11 - Dec 21 with 6086 viewsDorsetDale

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 12:33 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Well said.

As always, the media expect joe blogs to believe paedophilia is committed by dirty old men and/or other minorities. Facts show it happens throughout all socio-economic classes and races all the way to the top. Some is reported, some not.....
http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/racist-thames-valley-police-and-oxford-safeguard

The spotlight being shone on Rochdale's Asians whilst Fat Cyril is largely left out of it is also telling...
http://www.pienmashfilms.com/

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 15:14 - Dec 21 with 6002 viewsTomRAFC

It is very upsetting to see some of the portrayals of Dale.

Do we all think this critically when we watch the news about places we don't know though?

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 17:23 - Dec 21 with 5895 viewszxcvbnm

Parts of Rochdale are a complete hole but it seems to be every story is negative about Rochdale surely there's some good things to be said

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 18:12 - Dec 21 with 5829 viewsBFC

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 15:14 - Dec 21 by TomRAFC

It is very upsetting to see some of the portrayals of Dale.

Do we all think this critically when we watch the news about places we don't know though?

The main problem for me is that the national media is very heavily London/South-east centric and most of this type of journo like to pander to the northern stereotype of flat cap, whippets et al.
They like to paint a picture of us all living in some kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland where violence, poverty and abuse are an everyday event.

That doesn't, however, explain why the local media leap on the same bandwagon - it's their area too - so start sticking up for it!
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 18:32 - Dec 21 with 5778 viewssandylaner1

propaganda
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 19:11 - Dec 21 with 5735 views49thseason

I am personally convinced there has been an agenda to wipe Rochdale off the map ever since Cyril Smith was elected. Since then, virtually every government job (with the exception of the Job Centre) has been moved elsewhere, Inland revenue, courts, prison cells, etc. The Motorway signs have been altered to remove Rochdale as a destination, our hospitals have been closed, the local paper subsumed into the MEN, our buses and trains have been put in the hands of bueaurocrats from Manchester, even the bloody traffic lights are controlled by a French company. And guess what, the electorate have only managed to elect an MP from the ruling pary once since Smith was elected (1997) consequently we have been ignored, and been the last on every list in Westminsterfor over 40 years. And don't forget Rochdale was royally scewed when Heywood and Middleton became part of the "Metropolitan Borough" bringing nothing to the party except thousands of poor council houses on Langley and Darn Hill, social problems and deep dislike for the whole "metro" idea.
Our local counclillors have no backbone, they invariably and inevitably try to be "politicians" representing their party line rather than the town and are generally as dim as a solar garden ornament. Having said that they actually have very little influence as most decisions are now taken at Westminster which only compounds the problem of not electing politicians who are on the Government benches.

Our new Chief Executive has no brief to ressurect the town, he believes Rochdale should simply become a dormitory town for Manchester (hence the shiny new tram). There is no "big idea" just big wages.

Rochdale 's civic pride has been and gone, all that we have to be proud of now is a Town Hall and a couple of nondescript entertainers with the surname Stansfield.There is nothing "world class" left in Rochdale, a town that once boasted a wide range of brilliant companies which employed tens of thousands of people: Dunlop, Tweedale and Smalley, JJ Makins, John Brights, Whipp and Bourne, and dozens of others.

The NHS in Rochdale is a shambles, Planning is a shambles, Child services are shambolic, the roads are reverting to medieval conditions, there is no shopping to speak off, and a large slice of the housing stock needs knocking down. There is little leisure provision that you would cross the road for, Link4life is now run by a part timer (but apparently no one knows what days she works) because the Chief exec and his deputy couldn't keep their company credit cards for company business and felt they needed to buy holidays on them.

The town is a complete and utter balls up and frankly I don't see any way to reverse the trend as long as council voting happens along either party or religious lines and until we manage to elect an MP who can actually go to the PM do some pork barrel politics on our behalf. My advice to anyone under 30 is to bugger off elsewere quick, there is no future here.
Sorry rant over- 49th
Login to get fewer ads

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 22:18 - Dec 21 with 5611 viewsR17ALE

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 19:11 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

I am personally convinced there has been an agenda to wipe Rochdale off the map ever since Cyril Smith was elected. Since then, virtually every government job (with the exception of the Job Centre) has been moved elsewhere, Inland revenue, courts, prison cells, etc. The Motorway signs have been altered to remove Rochdale as a destination, our hospitals have been closed, the local paper subsumed into the MEN, our buses and trains have been put in the hands of bueaurocrats from Manchester, even the bloody traffic lights are controlled by a French company. And guess what, the electorate have only managed to elect an MP from the ruling pary once since Smith was elected (1997) consequently we have been ignored, and been the last on every list in Westminsterfor over 40 years. And don't forget Rochdale was royally scewed when Heywood and Middleton became part of the "Metropolitan Borough" bringing nothing to the party except thousands of poor council houses on Langley and Darn Hill, social problems and deep dislike for the whole "metro" idea.
Our local counclillors have no backbone, they invariably and inevitably try to be "politicians" representing their party line rather than the town and are generally as dim as a solar garden ornament. Having said that they actually have very little influence as most decisions are now taken at Westminster which only compounds the problem of not electing politicians who are on the Government benches.

Our new Chief Executive has no brief to ressurect the town, he believes Rochdale should simply become a dormitory town for Manchester (hence the shiny new tram). There is no "big idea" just big wages.

Rochdale 's civic pride has been and gone, all that we have to be proud of now is a Town Hall and a couple of nondescript entertainers with the surname Stansfield.There is nothing "world class" left in Rochdale, a town that once boasted a wide range of brilliant companies which employed tens of thousands of people: Dunlop, Tweedale and Smalley, JJ Makins, John Brights, Whipp and Bourne, and dozens of others.

The NHS in Rochdale is a shambles, Planning is a shambles, Child services are shambolic, the roads are reverting to medieval conditions, there is no shopping to speak off, and a large slice of the housing stock needs knocking down. There is little leisure provision that you would cross the road for, Link4life is now run by a part timer (but apparently no one knows what days she works) because the Chief exec and his deputy couldn't keep their company credit cards for company business and felt they needed to buy holidays on them.

The town is a complete and utter balls up and frankly I don't see any way to reverse the trend as long as council voting happens along either party or religious lines and until we manage to elect an MP who can actually go to the PM do some pork barrel politics on our behalf. My advice to anyone under 30 is to bugger off elsewere quick, there is no future here.
Sorry rant over- 49th

So many posts are right. If it wasn't for Dale, I'd have buggered off ages ago. Being able to walk 800 yards to the ground is heaven!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 23:01 - Dec 21 with 5579 viewsnordenblue

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 19:11 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

Sorry rant over- 49th

Couldn't agree more and a massive reason why ive moved 10 miles up the M60 the town is nothing but a dump and people suggesting otherwise are firmly living off sentiment and history, i could rant about endless things but think you've covered several points perfectly
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 01:04 - Dec 22 with 5522 viewsCamdenDale

Great post YouTube and some great additions to the thread. To try and stick to the point - and if I didn't I could write a hundred thousand words and more first pressing - the media is lazy by nature and the town is getting a prolonged kicking. Being patronised, (and demonised given current stories) by the London-centric media as a region is a given. Manchester based media will, and does, only join in. We all have our explanations for this.

In the light of all that, our football club is magic - imagine if we didn't have it - nightmare.

There are some potential pioneers on this board - how about we make the training facility happen - there must be some piece of land in the borough. No-one else can make this happen. We built the Co-operative movement. And so much else besides.

I'm not rich but I can put £5,000 forward.
Sick to death of he negative Rochdale spin on 09:38 - Dec 22 with 5448 viewsZac_Leeds_LS6

Appreciate this is not a footie conversation, but seeing as I joined (just with our cup game in mind), will add my comments as a neutral outsider.. I will firstly advise I have never been to Rochdale itself (think nearest I have been is Milnrow and Oldham)..

But in terms of how Rochdale comes across in the national media, I think you have some valid points (I say this as being a Leeds person I have similar concerns to how Leeds is perceived, and I guess sometime get caught in between civic pride and paranoia that we also get a hard press).

Just through TV usually BBC / ITV / SKY, I am aware of the coverage on the grooming (I get confused as to whether that is 2 separate cases or 1 case that as become fragmented),

Their are 2 other widely known grooming issues (that I am aware of), one in Oxford area, another in South Yorkshire (Rotherham area).. But as stated elsewhere on thread, when the grooming issue is raised, it does appear to be the Rochdale one that is singled out to lead the coverage..

The additional issue of Cyril Smith, obviously doesn't help, but why brand a whole town because of the actions of individuals!? (we have a similar situation owing to Jimmy Savile.. Leeds becomes attached to the stories, and certainly its used at football matches as a `banter` tool, by opposition fans..

Then there is the general unemployment which effects the whole of the country.. but I have seen a fair few pieces which are featured on the Falinge estate (if that's the correct name), the general purpose of these for these stories is `mill towns` struggling to recover since the 70's/80's when the clothing industry started to suffer.. but again, Rochdale is not the only mill town/city to suffer because of this.. area's such as Oldham / Bradford have same industry background, but both suffered serious riots (which could be attributed to race) so maybe the TV companies are encouraged or choose not to use these places as they may worry about igniting sensitivity in those area's or leaving themselves looking somehow prejudiced..

Then the Mary Portas, rebuilding the UK high street scheme, was focussed on Rochdale (one of 10 towns selected at the time..) it showed countless shops boarded up etc.. which is pretty much a scene repeated in every town and city in the country (Leeds main shopping through fare included).. but generally it is accepted the scheme was not a success.. but again it did show Rochdale rather than elsewhere.. (I think in fairness had it been a huge success it could have been positive for the town, but it seems Mary wasn't the saviour she had us believe..)

Anyway if you add all these together, High Streets / Unemployment / Grooming, all focused on 1 town in 1 area of the country, it is easy to see how, current residents / potential residents can become disillusioned.. and you would have thought the media, should see this also, by continually using 1 location for coverage on what are negative news items, it is essentially giving that area a reputation that is difficult / almost impossible to rid itself of..

As said at the top of this, this is just my comments based on items in the media etc.. and I am sure and hope their are many of the positives you locals are proud of.. one thing that wont help, is the BBC now have having large base in Manchester, as it is easy for them to pop out into Manchester City Centre to comment on prosperous boom city stories, then also convenient to nip over to Rochdale if they have a doom and gloom story!

As a Leeds lad, I am more than familiar with negative news, be it Jimmy Savile Scandal, The 7/7 bombers coming from Beeston / Holbeck area's, still being associated with football hooliganism 25 years after the days of rampaging idiots tearing through towns/city everywhere (although incident with Sheff Weds goal keeper doesn't help).
Leeds gets classed as a prosperous city, mainly because of decent shopping, nightlife, white collar work in city centre.. but I can name 20+ different area's of the city which are what could be described as pretty tough / rough!

cheers, (hopefully I don't come across as opinionated, just adding comment on what is seen on the `outside` of your town..
Sick to death of he negative Rochdale spin on 09:57 - Dec 22 with 5425 viewsR17ALE

Sick to death of he negative Rochdale spin on 09:38 - Dec 22 by Zac_Leeds_LS6

Appreciate this is not a footie conversation, but seeing as I joined (just with our cup game in mind), will add my comments as a neutral outsider.. I will firstly advise I have never been to Rochdale itself (think nearest I have been is Milnrow and Oldham)..

But in terms of how Rochdale comes across in the national media, I think you have some valid points (I say this as being a Leeds person I have similar concerns to how Leeds is perceived, and I guess sometime get caught in between civic pride and paranoia that we also get a hard press).

Just through TV usually BBC / ITV / SKY, I am aware of the coverage on the grooming (I get confused as to whether that is 2 separate cases or 1 case that as become fragmented),

Their are 2 other widely known grooming issues (that I am aware of), one in Oxford area, another in South Yorkshire (Rotherham area).. But as stated elsewhere on thread, when the grooming issue is raised, it does appear to be the Rochdale one that is singled out to lead the coverage..

The additional issue of Cyril Smith, obviously doesn't help, but why brand a whole town because of the actions of individuals!? (we have a similar situation owing to Jimmy Savile.. Leeds becomes attached to the stories, and certainly its used at football matches as a `banter` tool, by opposition fans..

Then there is the general unemployment which effects the whole of the country.. but I have seen a fair few pieces which are featured on the Falinge estate (if that's the correct name), the general purpose of these for these stories is `mill towns` struggling to recover since the 70's/80's when the clothing industry started to suffer.. but again, Rochdale is not the only mill town/city to suffer because of this.. area's such as Oldham / Bradford have same industry background, but both suffered serious riots (which could be attributed to race) so maybe the TV companies are encouraged or choose not to use these places as they may worry about igniting sensitivity in those area's or leaving themselves looking somehow prejudiced..

Then the Mary Portas, rebuilding the UK high street scheme, was focussed on Rochdale (one of 10 towns selected at the time..) it showed countless shops boarded up etc.. which is pretty much a scene repeated in every town and city in the country (Leeds main shopping through fare included).. but generally it is accepted the scheme was not a success.. but again it did show Rochdale rather than elsewhere.. (I think in fairness had it been a huge success it could have been positive for the town, but it seems Mary wasn't the saviour she had us believe..)

Anyway if you add all these together, High Streets / Unemployment / Grooming, all focused on 1 town in 1 area of the country, it is easy to see how, current residents / potential residents can become disillusioned.. and you would have thought the media, should see this also, by continually using 1 location for coverage on what are negative news items, it is essentially giving that area a reputation that is difficult / almost impossible to rid itself of..

As said at the top of this, this is just my comments based on items in the media etc.. and I am sure and hope their are many of the positives you locals are proud of.. one thing that wont help, is the BBC now have having large base in Manchester, as it is easy for them to pop out into Manchester City Centre to comment on prosperous boom city stories, then also convenient to nip over to Rochdale if they have a doom and gloom story!

As a Leeds lad, I am more than familiar with negative news, be it Jimmy Savile Scandal, The 7/7 bombers coming from Beeston / Holbeck area's, still being associated with football hooliganism 25 years after the days of rampaging idiots tearing through towns/city everywhere (although incident with Sheff Weds goal keeper doesn't help).
Leeds gets classed as a prosperous city, mainly because of decent shopping, nightlife, white collar work in city centre.. but I can name 20+ different area's of the city which are what could be described as pretty tough / rough!

cheers, (hopefully I don't come across as opinionated, just adding comment on what is seen on the `outside` of your town..

An excellent post Zac.

I know Leeds fairly well and am always astonished by driving through Oakwood towards The Roundhay pub, and then in 500 yards, after the lights, it's like you're in Beirut. There's an invisible line.

Manchester is the same, the drive from Didsbury to Longsight being similar, but the media focus on Rochdale for the bad news story.

Much of Rochdale is like Morley or Pudsey, and parts of it are even like Alwoodley, but this gets overlooked when there is a bad news story to be had.

It's funny you mention Leeds and Jimmy Saville in the same breath - I'd never before equated the two things together. Indeed, I've never put together a town and a wrongun together as an equation. To this day I've no idea where Fred West was up to no good and nor am I bothered!

Sick to death of he negative Rochdale spin on 10:45 - Dec 22 with 5378 viewsZac_Leeds_LS6

Sick to death of he negative Rochdale spin on 09:57 - Dec 22 by R17ALE

An excellent post Zac.

I know Leeds fairly well and am always astonished by driving through Oakwood towards The Roundhay pub, and then in 500 yards, after the lights, it's like you're in Beirut. There's an invisible line.

Manchester is the same, the drive from Didsbury to Longsight being similar, but the media focus on Rochdale for the bad news story.

Much of Rochdale is like Morley or Pudsey, and parts of it are even like Alwoodley, but this gets overlooked when there is a bad news story to be had.

It's funny you mention Leeds and Jimmy Saville in the same breath - I'd never before equated the two things together. Indeed, I've never put together a town and a wrongun together as an equation. To this day I've no idea where Fred West was up to no good and nor am I bothered!

cheers R17 ALE..

yes Roundhay Road is as you say crossing the invisible line.. Harehills is probably the most troubled area of the city.. if there is a violent crime in the city, it is often Harehills.. which adjoins Chapeltown.. so 2 pretty notorious areas side by side.. and the number of murders in those areas is frightening..

but travel up a mile or so, you head into good parts of Oakwood, Roundhay through to Moortown / Alwoodley.

Anyways I will be making my first trip to Rochdale / Spotlands in just under a fortnight.. just pretty annoyed at our performance yesterday, 0-0 at home to Barnsley.. missed opportunity, but somehow 5th.. which I honestly say is more a testament to the standard of the league being average this year.. we face Blackpool, Forest, Blackburn before you.. and in reality I expect to drop places.. hope I am wrong.. but yesterday hoping my eyes a bit to realilty a bit.. 31,000 and cracking atmosphere spoiled by the game.. :-)

best of luck on your festive games until the obvious, cheers
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 11:35 - Dec 22 with 5331 viewsYouTubeDale

I've told Chris Dunphy in the past that Rochdale Football Club is a shining light in the town. It is a beacon of hope. Yes, R17 ALE it is something we hold special to our hearts and keeps us here. And I often think of moving out of Rochdale but my first commitment is to my children who are happily settled in school and college in the area, and I wouldn't upset them by moving at this moment in time.

But if we had much more investment in the town then perhaps we wouldn't think about moving. This negative Rochdale spin by the media helps drive away investment. There is a very simple economic equation : investment puts money in peoples' pockets and this puts bums on seats at Spotland. I know you can complicate this equation enormously, but let's keep it simple. If our next door neighbour, bury, is attracting lots of investment, which it is, then over time their football club will do well with more "bums" on seats. On the other side of the equation if there is disinvestment then the football club will suffer over time with fewer bums on seats. As 49thseason has said there is an agenda to disinvest or pull out of Rochdale by the government ( A&E, Magistrates Court, Revenue offices, etc, etc) and by businesses (McDonalds, Boots warehouse, Anglian windows, Woolworths going bust and losing hundreds of jobs in Castleton and so on...).

So start building a positive image, and getting the media off our backs will help greatly. Get our MP and other bodies to do more promoting to get this much needed investment. Is Rochdale really in terminal decline? Perhaps there could be a turn around. But give Rochdale a break, please.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 11:49 - Dec 22 with 5318 viewsR17ALE

Good call on our MP's doing something to promote the town. The only time SD is ever seen or heard, is to pass comment on a negative, whilst JD occasionally writes a letter to the Obby where he comes across as old Labour on whizz.

Edit: Just realised our MP's share initials with bury's Chairman and ground. This is a conspiracy!!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2013 11:52]

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 11:51 - Dec 22 with 5315 viewsBFC

Whereabouts is/was the Fforde Green Zac, was that in Harehills?

I've been in some rum situations in some rum pubs over the years but that was one Saturday to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

About 20 of us from a bus trip to the races called in for a 'few' while we waited for our evening meal to be ready at a little hotel where one of our party knew the owner - an Italian bloke I seem to recall. The 'few' beers became one beer and we beat a hasty retreat for our meal!

It was a very large ornate old place as I remember - and it was totally packed out with characters, we had our fair share of characters in our party too - but every single one of us was relieved to get out unscathed!

No doubt a great place with great memories if you are local and you know everyone, but bloody terrifying for a stranger!
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 13:20 - Dec 22 with 5242 viewsZac_Leeds_LS6

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 11:51 - Dec 22 by BFC

Whereabouts is/was the Fforde Green Zac, was that in Harehills?

I've been in some rum situations in some rum pubs over the years but that was one Saturday to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

About 20 of us from a bus trip to the races called in for a 'few' while we waited for our evening meal to be ready at a little hotel where one of our party knew the owner - an Italian bloke I seem to recall. The 'few' beers became one beer and we beat a hasty retreat for our meal!

It was a very large ornate old place as I remember - and it was totally packed out with characters, we had our fair share of characters in our party too - but every single one of us was relieved to get out unscathed!

No doubt a great place with great memories if you are local and you know everyone, but bloody terrifying for a stranger!

Yes Fforde Green was Harehills mate, I actually never went into it.. and yes towards the end it definitely had a reputation as being a place only to go if you are known..

As I mention in previous post, Harehills and Chapeltown are neighbouring suburbs.. 70s through to 90s Chapeltown was constantly in news for shootings, prostitution and gangs.. (the Yorkshire Ripper also added to its notoriety), a lot of this was centred around a large pub called The Hayfield which again was feared by people in Leeds never mind outside.. generally frequented by the Afro Carribean community.. late 90's the Hayfield was closed down by compulsory purchase.. this actually seemed to work and whilst there is still occasional shooting/stabbings.. its no where near as bad.. and if anything the trouble (drugs trade).. moved more into Harehills, and was centred on the Fforde Green.. and from early 2000's Harehills went down hill rapidly.. eventually (around 7 years ago if memory correct) Fforde Green closed down following a raid where drugs and weapons seized..

But before that Fforde Green had a decent reputation, yes it was in the middle of a large number of pretty tough area's but by all accounts, good music and craic (as opposed to crack!).. Also they had a damn good pub football side from there..

both above pubs closed before the smoking ban / recession which as now closed probably 80% of estate pubs across the country.. I haven't been passed recently but it was a continental supermarket the last time I saw.

apologies for epic reply.. I struggle to summarise concisely!
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 13:57 - Dec 22 with 5203 viewsSalwaDale

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 11:49 - Dec 22 by R17ALE

Good call on our MP's doing something to promote the town. The only time SD is ever seen or heard, is to pass comment on a negative, whilst JD occasionally writes a letter to the Obby where he comes across as old Labour on whizz.

Edit: Just realised our MP's share initials with bury's Chairman and ground. This is a conspiracy!!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2013 11:52]

I follow Danczuk on twitter, mainly because I used to teach his son but he is very positive about the town on there.

TBBT

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:00 - Dec 22 with 5199 viewsSuddenLad

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 13:57 - Dec 22 by SalwaDale

I follow Danczuk on twitter, mainly because I used to teach his son but he is very positive about the town on there.

So he should be.

His job is to represent us and the town in the best possible light and do everything he can for the constituency and its' residents.

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:10 - Dec 22 with 5189 viewsSalwaDale

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:00 - Dec 22 by SuddenLad

So he should be.

His job is to represent us and the town in the best possible light and do everything he can for the constituency and its' residents.

He does - I don't follow my MP but I do follow Andy Burnham, who is just down the road in Leigh. Danczuk impressivein his support of the town.

TBBT

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:51 - Dec 22 with 5168 viewsSuddenLad

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 14:10 - Dec 22 by SalwaDale

He does - I don't follow my MP but I do follow Andy Burnham, who is just down the road in Leigh. Danczuk impressivein his support of the town.

Good. Pleased to hear it. Have to say I've only availed myself of his assistance once, but he was excellent in all that he did for me.

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 20:15 - Dec 22 with 5006 views49thseason

The best thing about Danczuk is that he seems perfectly happy to fall out with the local Labour party, rather than simply go along with their agenda.The lack of real abilty at the local level of politics is an invitation to get ripped off by every Tom Dick and Harry who has two more brain cells than they do, as shown by the Link4life affair.
Sadly, talented people who know how the real world works have more sense than to stand in local elections. What the town needs are about 40 genuine people with the town at heart to contest the May elections for the next 2 or 3 years with a "Rochdale First" agenda and not a party political or religious one.
Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 00:37 - Dec 23 with 4902 viewsDale_Pea

Sick to death of negative Rochdale spin on 13:57 - Dec 22 by SalwaDale

I'm a fan of Danczuk, he is as you say very positive about the town and trying to generate some form of interest in the centre (his wife has just opened a deli in the centre I believe). I've moved to Bury recently, but I'd still like to think of Rochdale as my town, and it really is getting a bit horrible seeing all this on the news.

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024