Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
70m investment in the town centre 08:08 - Apr 10 with 9079 viewsNigeriamark

Just announced on BBC news. M&S and Next signed up. Design looks OK ( can't be worse than the black box in fairness). Will be interesting if they try to put residences amongst the stores which most successful centres have. Would it work in Rochdale? Would you live there?
70m investment in the town centre on 09:02 - Apr 10 with 5052 viewsBigKindo

This was originally announced in early November 2015.
70m investment in the town centre on 11:08 - Apr 10 with 4881 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Far far too late.......there is too much established riff raff in the town centre,70m would not get rid?

Putting lip-stick on a pig.
70m investment in the town centre on 11:14 - Apr 10 with 4866 viewsTVOS1907

70m investment in the town centre on 11:08 - Apr 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

Far far too late.......there is too much established riff raff in the town centre,70m would not get rid?

Putting lip-stick on a pig.

At least they are trying.

if everyone adopted that sort of attitude, we might as well all give up.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

70m investment in the town centre on 11:30 - Apr 10 with 4843 viewsdawlishdale

70m investment in the town centre on 11:14 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

It's good to see that they are trying, but the damage has already been done by a succession of recent Councils who have encouraged people who will never be able to positively contribute to the local economy to come and live here, and thus, you could invest ten times this amount, but the Town would still not thrive.

I lived in Rochdale for close to 30 years before taking a contract away in the South West where I've been for the past 4 years. I visit home regularly to see my parents and attend the football. Even in the relatively short time I've been away, the number of no-hopers who hang around the Town Centre has increased almost beyond comprehension.

It's a huge problem, and one that many people are scared to confront for fear of being set upon by the PC brigade.

Only when the Town is capable of attracting a reasonable number of well paid professionals who have disposable income to spend on better things than can be found in charity shops, pawnbrokers and pound shops will things improve.
70m investment in the town centre on 11:40 - Apr 10 with 4803 viewsTVOS1907

70m investment in the town centre on 11:30 - Apr 10 by dawlishdale

It's good to see that they are trying, but the damage has already been done by a succession of recent Councils who have encouraged people who will never be able to positively contribute to the local economy to come and live here, and thus, you could invest ten times this amount, but the Town would still not thrive.

I lived in Rochdale for close to 30 years before taking a contract away in the South West where I've been for the past 4 years. I visit home regularly to see my parents and attend the football. Even in the relatively short time I've been away, the number of no-hopers who hang around the Town Centre has increased almost beyond comprehension.

It's a huge problem, and one that many people are scared to confront for fear of being set upon by the PC brigade.

Only when the Town is capable of attracting a reasonable number of well paid professionals who have disposable income to spend on better things than can be found in charity shops, pawnbrokers and pound shops will things improve.

Good post and at least you've made a more reasoned case about the problems.

70m investment in the town centre on 12:18 - Apr 10 with 4705 viewsYorkshire_Dale

70m investment in the town centre on 11:14 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

Bollocks......the Town has been a disgrace for years.

I travel in by train (having had my vehicle stolen in Rochdale).......walking down Drake Street from the station is akin to downtown Bierut.......but with more smackheads.

The City Fathers have p*ssed on this town.
70m investment in the town centre on 13:06 - Apr 10 with 4572 viewsPDIDDY

That's a hell of a lot of pound shops, Dale and Bolton centres are shockingly bad nowadays, lucky you've got Bury to go to, 23 coaches for the market on Saturday, Carlisle, Rotherham, Wrexham to name a few of the places I saw coaches from

Gissa job

70m investment in the town centre on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 4543 viewspioneer

70m investment in the town centre on 13:06 - Apr 10 by PDIDDY

That's a hell of a lot of pound shops, Dale and Bolton centres are shockingly bad nowadays, lucky you've got Bury to go to, 23 coaches for the market on Saturday, Carlisle, Rotherham, Wrexham to name a few of the places I saw coaches from

Yes, I was in Bolton town centre for the first time in years about a month ago and my first impression was - this reminds me of Rochdale.

Lets hope the new investment in Rochdale is able to change things for the better - I am as cynical though as others on this thread and agree it needs to attract well off folks to live and shop there.

As to that place on t'other side of Heywood.....never been so cannot comment.
Login to get fewer ads

70m investment in the town centre on 13:51 - Apr 10 with 4490 viewsVivaDonaldo

I think the trouble is, anyone that lives in an affluent area of town tends to work outside of it and as such spends their leisure and recreation time and money outside of it too.

How do you make the town centre appeal to someone when there is Trafford Centre and Manchester within reachable distance?
70m investment in the town centre on 14:59 - Apr 10 with 4383 viewsnordenblue

70m investment in the town centre on 13:51 - Apr 10 by VivaDonaldo

I think the trouble is, anyone that lives in an affluent area of town tends to work outside of it and as such spends their leisure and recreation time and money outside of it too.

How do you make the town centre appeal to someone when there is Trafford Centre and Manchester within reachable distance?

Here's an idea,stick a tram line in Rochdale to make it even easier to commute to decent shopping destinations...oh hang on a minute...

As others have written ever so accurately about I'd agree totally,having had the pleasure of moving out of the area a few years ago the only reason I return is generally for the football and family,the decline even in the last 5/10 years is nothing short of staggering..... and I don't think you realise how horrid it is until you move away.

Having grown up around Littleborough and Wardle many moons ago then moved to Norden you wouldn't temp me back with the offer of a free house I'm afraid now,very sad
70m investment in the town centre on 15:15 - Apr 10 with 4347 viewsTVOS1907

70m investment in the town centre on 12:18 - Apr 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

Bollocks......the Town has been a disgrace for years.

I travel in by train (having had my vehicle stolen in Rochdale).......walking down Drake Street from the station is akin to downtown Bierut.......but with more smackheads.

The City Fathers have p*ssed on this town.

And the point still remains, without resorting to coarse language, that at least something is trying to be done for those of us who still live in the town and its environs.

Have you been to Beirut?

70m investment in the town centre on 15:19 - Apr 10 with 4333 viewsYorkshire_Dale

70m investment in the town centre on 15:15 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

And the point still remains, without resorting to coarse language, that at least something is trying to be done for those of us who still live in the town and its environs.

Have you been to Beirut?

Why would I go to Beirut.......?

I have n't been to Antartica,but I know it's cold.
70m investment in the town centre on 15:23 - Apr 10 with 4323 viewsTVOS1907

70m investment in the town centre on 15:19 - Apr 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good answer.

70m investment in the town centre on 15:29 - Apr 10 with 4304 viewsNogintheNog

70m investment in the town centre on 15:15 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

Have you been to Beirut?

We recently took my sister-in -law to town on a beautiful saturday afternoon. She had never been to Rochdale before and judging off various media reports she had seen/read it is fair to say her expectations were somewhat low.
We took her down the Esplanade, had coffee in the town hall, walked over past Gracies` statue and stood on the new bridge viewing the river.
To say she was pleasantly surprized that we do not live in some urban slum populated by scrotes and crackheads would be putting it mildly.
If we continually portray our town negativly how will we ever change outsiders view of our town.
As an aside, I deliver online shopping through-out Greater Manchester/Lancashire and belive me there are many places that make Rochdale look like Nirvana.
70m investment in the town centre on 15:41 - Apr 10 with 4265 viewsRAFC_1990

We have some wonderful history and character, nice areas such as Norden/Bamford, Littleborough, Healey Dell etc. The town centre has always been a mess, mainly due to the people who frequent it, but theres certainly no harm in trying to improve it. Rochdale still has a lot going for it. Ive been to loads of places much worse than Rochdale all over the country.

Poll: Halifax or Chorley? If any which game are you going?

70m investment in the town centre on 15:44 - Apr 10 with 4255 viewsfitzochris

I feel a blog coming on

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

70m investment in the town centre on 15:47 - Apr 10 with 4244 viewsdawlishdale

70m investment in the town centre on 15:29 - Apr 10 by NogintheNog

We recently took my sister-in -law to town on a beautiful saturday afternoon. She had never been to Rochdale before and judging off various media reports she had seen/read it is fair to say her expectations were somewhat low.
We took her down the Esplanade, had coffee in the town hall, walked over past Gracies` statue and stood on the new bridge viewing the river.
To say she was pleasantly surprized that we do not live in some urban slum populated by scrotes and crackheads would be putting it mildly.
If we continually portray our town negativly how will we ever change outsiders view of our town.
As an aside, I deliver online shopping through-out Greater Manchester/Lancashire and belive me there are many places that make Rochdale look like Nirvana.

I'm glad your sister in law enjoyed her visit.

Fortunately for her, you omitted to take her into the main shopping area (Yorkshire Street) or either of the two shopping centres; not to mention Drake Street , which must surely be one of the most deprived streets in any town centre anywhere?

Neither did you take her to visit the market with it's complete lack of footfall for the dozen or so traders who have not given up yet, or stop to see the dozens of still empty shops and offices dotted around the town. Crikey... there is a large empty shop/office occupying what you would deem to be a prime spot in the new Council Offices/Library.
As far as I know, it's never been used since the building was opened.

Having walked through the town on many occasions, I reckon that there are at least as many charity shops/pound shops/pawnbrokers/moneylenders and phone shops as there are other retailers combined.

I'm all for praising the beautiful architecture of the Town Hall, but come off it... Nirvana !!!
70m investment in the town centre on 15:47 - Apr 10 with 4244 viewsfitzochris

70m investment in the town centre on 15:19 - Apr 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

What if they faked it like the Moon landings?

70m investment in the town centre on 15:49 - Apr 10 with 4226 viewsKenBoon

70m investment in the town centre on 15:44 - Apr 10 by fitzochris

I feel a blog coming on

I've bought your two books (both good reads). If you can write a blog post without quoting Morrissey, mentioning boards or anything to do with water then i'll buy whatever your third book will be.
70m investment in the town centre on 15:53 - Apr 10 with 4203 viewsflyerdale

70m investment in the town centre on 15:47 - Apr 10 by dawlishdale

Fortunately for her, you omitted to take her into the main shopping area (Yorkshire Street) or either of the two shopping centres; not to mention Drake Street , which must surely be one of the most deprived streets in any town centre anywhere?

Neither did you take her to visit the market with it's complete lack of footfall for the dozen or so traders who have not given up yet, or stop to see the dozens of still empty shops and offices dotted around the town. Crikey... there is a large empty shop/office occupying what you would deem to be a prime spot in the new Council Offices/Library.

Having walked through the town on many occasions, I reckon that there are at least as many charity shops/pound shops/pawnbrokers/moneylenders and phone shops as there are other retailers combined.

I'm all for praising the beautiful architecture of the Town Hall, but come off it... Nirvana !!!

It's good that you don't have to see it that often if you hate the place so much. Whereas we live here and still have a touch of civic pride even if the place has seen better days. Good for you for living in Dawlish (bit of a dump itself if I remember rightly) but Rochdale might be a dump but it's our dump. I see nobody mentions we have two of the best pubs in the country and new quality eating and drinking places opening in the centre but then that's a positive so that won't do will it.

Up the Dale and the town she represents.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 15:54]
70m investment in the town centre on 15:55 - Apr 10 with 4179 viewsfitzochris

70m investment in the town centre on 15:49 - Apr 10 by KenBoon

I've bought your two books (both good reads). If you can write a blog post without quoting Morrissey, mentioning boards or anything to do with water then i'll buy whatever your third book will be.

I will try not to Paint A Vulgar Picture of the town next time. However, if it rains heavily again, we may need a Rubber Ring or two.

70m investment in the town centre on 15:59 - Apr 10 with 4164 viewsJimmyRustler

The only realistic way to attract numbers into the town centre at the moment would be to introduce safe shoot-up zones. Whilst fairly attractive, the opening of the River has only served to further the pre-pubescent tomfoolery that was already going on. The town centre mirrors our football club in that there are far too many geographically convenient alternatives to spending your time watching shopping trollies float towards Asda.
70m investment in the town centre on 16:16 - Apr 10 with 4115 viewsNogintheNog

70m investment in the town centre on 15:47 - Apr 10 by dawlishdale

We did indeed go into our flourishing shopping centres (JOKING) and did buy a few everyday things, if we wanted a "shopping experience" we would go to Manchester.
Of course we did not take her up Drake St. It died as a shopping area many years ago.
The laughingly called market, no, was not deemed worth a visit.
But to reiterate my point, whilst I accept Rochdale has its problems, I`m not blind or stupid, there are positive aspects of our town and constantly deriding the place helps no-one.
Also, I did not say Rochdale is Nirvana, simply pointed out that in comparison to some other local town centres its nowhere near as bad as portayed.
70m investment in the town centre on 16:28 - Apr 10 with 4076 viewsdawlishdale

70m investment in the town centre on 15:53 - Apr 10 by flyerdale

It's good that you don't have to see it that often if you hate the place so much. Whereas we live here and still have a touch of civic pride even if the place has seen better days. Good for you for living in Dawlish (bit of a dump itself if I remember rightly) but Rochdale might be a dump but it's our dump. I see nobody mentions we have two of the best pubs in the country and new quality eating and drinking places opening in the centre but then that's a positive so that won't do will it.

Up the Dale and the town she represents.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 15:54]

I get back to Rochdale at least every two weeks, so see quite a lot of the centre.

I'm hugely passionate about my town. I just think that a succession of bad Council decisions/policies has spoiled the town during my lifetime (35 years) and it is debatable if it can be rescued.

Love visiting the Baum, Flyer and Regal Moon.. Struggling after those.
70m investment in the town centre on 18:00 - Apr 10 with 3911 viewspioneer

70m investment in the town centre on 15:29 - Apr 10 by NogintheNog

I have to agree there are some very pleasant parts/aspects in Rochdale, as there are in most towns, but the bottom line is would your sister-in-law ever want to live in Rochdale?

Assuming she is not from Beirut (or antarctica) I would guess the answer would be no. What I tend to find is that those who have reason to leave the town generally (and i expect there are exceptions) wouldnt want to move back. That doesnt negate the pride current residents might have in the town. But if it was a nice place to live and work you would see a very different `social demographic picture of the population.

I left the town over 40 years ago only returning for footy and family but never had the desire to return to live. Doesnt mean I am not proud of my roots.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024