Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another on bites the dust 15:31 - May 9 with 4070 viewsrochdaleriddler

Little Richard dies aged 87, definately a rock pioneer . RIP

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Another on bites the dust on 16:00 - May 9 with 3046 viewsncfc_chalky

One of the best wild men from the 50's and even more outrageous than Elvis at the time,I'm surprised that he's lasted this long what all of the drugs n booze he's had during his life,I can only think of Jerry Lee Lewis that's left now that truly changed music as we knew it

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Another on bites the dust on 16:51 - May 9 with 3019 viewsmingthemerciless

If you can find it on YouTube that 1 hour show he did in 1964 for Granada TV is well worth watching. One of the best live performances I've ever seen.
He played at the " Cubi-Klub " in Rochdale about the same time.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 16:54]
Another on bites the dust on 18:45 - May 9 with 2963 viewselectricblue

Good golly miss molly.......
Pioneer in his own style.........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Another on bites the dust on 18:59 - May 9 with 2952 viewsSalegraham

Saw him at the Kubiclub in Rochdale, stormed the place !!
Another on bites the dust on 19:09 - May 9 with 2936 viewsfitzochris

Best music to play in a helicopter when going to take out some South American rebels and an intergalactic hunter.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Another on bites the dust on 19:53 - May 9 with 2899 viewsmingthemerciless

Another on bites the dust on 18:59 - May 9 by Salegraham

Saw him at the Kubiclub in Rochdale, stormed the place !!

I could afford a ticket for myself but not for my girlfriend at the time. So I didn't go. Mistakes I have made. It was a whole 10/- ! I only got 12/6 on my paper round.
Another on bites the dust on 04:39 - May 11 with 2747 viewsDiddyDave

Another on bites the dust on 19:53 - May 9 by mingthemerciless

I could afford a ticket for myself but not for my girlfriend at the time. So I didn't go. Mistakes I have made. It was a whole 10/- ! I only got 12/6 on my paper round.

Ok,c`mon,who did we all see at the Kubiclub back in the day? I remember seeing Donovan and the brilliant Peddlers with Roy Philips their singer and keyboards man. Didn`t even bother going to see the Stones,everybody knew there was going to be a riot.
Another on bites the dust on 04:48 - May 11 with 2746 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

'Elvis is the King of Rock N' Roll and I am the Queen'...! Brilliant. A couple of his songs were/are popular on the Northern Soul circuit like 'I don't want to discuss it' or 'Poor Dog'

[Post edited 11 May 2020 4:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Another on bites the dust on 08:30 - May 11 with 2701 viewsncfc_chalky

That interview was absolute class

Chuck Berry,Chuck Berry,I'm gonna fix him

He was a true showman

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Another on bites the dust on 08:46 - May 11 with 2692 viewsmingthemerciless

Another on bites the dust on 04:48 - May 11 by Albert_Whitehurst

'Elvis is the King of Rock N' Roll and I am the Queen'...! Brilliant. A couple of his songs were/are popular on the Northern Soul circuit like 'I don't want to discuss it' or 'Poor Dog'

" I Don't Know What You've Got ( But It's Got Me ) " . Written by Don Covay was a soul classic.
Another on bites the dust on 08:53 - May 11 with 2688 viewsmingthemerciless

Another on bites the dust on 04:39 - May 11 by DiddyDave

Ok,c`mon,who did we all see at the Kubiclub back in the day? I remember seeing Donovan and the brilliant Peddlers with Roy Philips their singer and keyboards man. Didn`t even bother going to see the Stones,everybody knew there was going to be a riot.

I went to see The Stones non appearance. Ones I did see were The Kinks, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders. Jimmy Powell with Rod Stewart on Harmonica. Alexis Korner with Eric Clapton on guitar and Long John Baldry on vocals. Little Eva, Jimmy Witherspoon, Lots of other lesser band and groups. Best act out of all of them - The Rocking Berries - unbelieveably good musicians and also very funny.
Another on bites the dust on 13:21 - May 11 with 2625 viewswimborne_dale

Imagine growing up with Vera Lyn and such like on the airwaves and then hearing Little Richard 😮 It would have been like he's just turned all the lights on!

Edgar Allan's Crow

Another on bites the dust on 13:30 - May 11 with 2624 viewswimborne_dale

Imagine growing up with Vera Lyn and such like on the airwaves and then hearing Little Richard 😮 It would have been like he's just turned all the lights on!

Edgar Allan's Crow

Another on bites the dust on 13:58 - May 11 with 2601 viewsonedalefan

Keith and Cliff mourn the death of their brother Little.
Another on bites the dust on 01:54 - May 12 with 2524 viewsDiddyDave

Who owned the Kubi Club,how long did it last and why did it close? Fading memories for me I`m afraid.
Another on bites the dust on 11:16 - May 12 with 2467 viewsmingthemerciless

Another on bites the dust on 01:54 - May 12 by DiddyDave

Who owned the Kubi Club,how long did it last and why did it close? Fading memories for me I`m afraid.

It was owned by a larger than life character called Clive Kelly. Look him up on the internet. He lives in Brazil now I think. He once tried taking The Stones to court over there when they played in Rio for " breach of contract " because they wouldn't go on stage at the Cubi. He said at the time that he'd been left out of pocket because he'd had to refund everybody after the no show.
That's a load of rubbish, I was there and I didn't get a refund, neither did anyone else I know. I stopped going about autumn 1965 when I started work. We started going to the Twisted Wheel and The Oasis, Jungfrau, CWS etc and the Cubi was starting to fall out of fashion.
Kelly was a chancer who just ran out of steam. The club opened in April 1964 with that Stones gig and I reckon it lasted about 2 years before closing. He had some great acts on in the early days though. Bo Diddley, Spencer Davis, Donovan, Screaming Jay Hawkins.

Imagine being able to see international headline acts in Rochdale now !

Those were the days !
Another on bites the dust on 11:41 - May 12 with 2442 viewsD_Alien

Another on bites the dust on 11:16 - May 12 by mingthemerciless

It was owned by a larger than life character called Clive Kelly. Look him up on the internet. He lives in Brazil now I think. He once tried taking The Stones to court over there when they played in Rio for " breach of contract " because they wouldn't go on stage at the Cubi. He said at the time that he'd been left out of pocket because he'd had to refund everybody after the no show.
That's a load of rubbish, I was there and I didn't get a refund, neither did anyone else I know. I stopped going about autumn 1965 when I started work. We started going to the Twisted Wheel and The Oasis, Jungfrau, CWS etc and the Cubi was starting to fall out of fashion.
Kelly was a chancer who just ran out of steam. The club opened in April 1964 with that Stones gig and I reckon it lasted about 2 years before closing. He had some great acts on in the early days though. Bo Diddley, Spencer Davis, Donovan, Screaming Jay Hawkins.

Those were the days !

https://www.manchesterbeat.com/index.php/my-story/clive-kelly

Amazingly, looks genuine, and larger than life is an understatement!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Another on bites the dust on 11:48 - May 12 with 2442 viewsDaleiLama

Another on bites the dust on 11:41 - May 12 by D_Alien

https://www.manchesterbeat.com/index.php/my-story/clive-kelly

Amazingly, looks genuine, and larger than life is an understatement!

A man of substance(s) ?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Another on bites the dust on 13:00 - May 12 with 2411 viewsPGB

Another on bites the dust on 04:48 - May 11 by Albert_Whitehurst

Also for Northern Soulies are "A Little Bit of Something, Is better than nothing" and his version of "Function at the Junction"

Try the album "Get Down With It" the Okeh Sessions, originally recorded in 1967
Another on bites the dust on 13:15 - May 12 with 2399 viewsSalegraham

If you go on Manchesterbeat.com & click on venues you can see all the town's & then all the venues in each one.
Another on bites the dust on 19:57 - May 12 with 2328 viewsDiddyDave

Wow,thanks for everybody`s input. I guess I should`ve known the owner was a Scouser as I recall the almost resident band was David John and the Mood who were from Liverpool,or at least they played at the Cubikclub quite often. Amazing times alright.
Another on bites the dust on 20:02 - May 12 with 2323 viewsmingthemerciless

Another on bites the dust on 19:57 - May 12 by DiddyDave

Wow,thanks for everybody`s input. I guess I should`ve known the owner was a Scouser as I recall the almost resident band was David John and the Mood who were from Liverpool,or at least they played at the Cubikclub quite often. Amazing times alright.

David John and the Mood were from Preston Dave.
Another on bites the dust on 20:48 - May 12 with 2298 views100notout

Those were the days !

whereabouts was the club ming?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Another on bites the dust on 22:13 - May 12 with 2269 viewsdownunder

Those were the days !

My elder sister was into the Kubi Club and Twisted Wheel scene. She ran the Black Cat Bones fan club. ( Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke. Later to become the core of Free)
Another on bites the dust on 22:35 - May 12 with 2250 viewsD_Alien

Another on bites the dust on 22:13 - May 12 by downunder

My elder sister was into the Kubi Club and Twisted Wheel scene. She ran the Black Cat Bones fan club. ( Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke. Later to become the core of Free)

Ah, Free

Probably my favourite band from that era

I believe Paul Rodgers is still touring with Simon Kirke, saw them at the Apollo a few years ago

Expect your sister (like many others) was devastated when Kossoff died

[Post edited 12 May 2020 23:03]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024