Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship 10:41 - Jul 29 with 4951 viewssamueloneils

So pleased to see some involvement from south of Rochdale.
As you can tell from my forum name, it relates to the building on the main road through Castleton where Queensway branches off, and where my father worked for 50 years. More recently called TPT, close to Tweedale & Smalleys and also the All in One Garden Cenre which used the watering can symbol to sponsor our shirts.
Also Heywood where my aunt lived who donated to me my Dale shares.

Happy days.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 16:17 - Jul 29 with 4729 viewsDaleiLama

My dad was also at Tweedales. I used to play out a lot as a kid where Castleton Timber are based now too. Happy Days indeed.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 16:20 - Jul 29 with 4723 viewsEllDale

I remember what a bombshell it was when Tweedales closed. I think it was around 1962.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 17:32 - Jul 29 with 4622 viewssamueloneils

And Castleton baths with the most heavily chlorinated water I`ve ever met. Eyes used to sting for half an hour after.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:27 - Jul 29 with 4532 viewsrobtheb

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 16:17 - Jul 29 by DaleiLama

My dad was also at Tweedales. I used to play out a lot as a kid where Castleton Timber are based now too. Happy Days indeed.

My dad worked there also. Use to watch Tweedales football team play on the pitch opposite the works. Local bobby Tommy Hingham in goal.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:36 - Jul 29 with 4509 viewsDaleiLama

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:27 - Jul 29 by robtheb

My dad worked there also. Use to watch Tweedales football team play on the pitch opposite the works. Local bobby Tommy Hingham in goal.

Was that what became the Cash and Carry? We lived a stones throw from the Manchester road entrance. Dad got fixed up in another engineering company, but that site became a Woolies w/h I think it was?

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:48 - Jul 29 with 4470 viewsEllDale

Yes, the Tweedales and Smalley site was sold to Woolworths for their Northern Distribution Centre.
Much of the existing buildings were devoured in one of the most spectacular fires Rochdale has ever seen.
That was roundabout 1984 from memory.
It was all rebuilt but I’m not sure what the site is used for now.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 19:49 - Jul 29 with 4392 viewsrobtheb

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:36 - Jul 29 by DaleiLama

Was that what became the Cash and Carry? We lived a stones throw from the Manchester road entrance. Dad got fixed up in another engineering company, but that site became a Woolies w/h I think it was?

Yes the pitches were taken over as a Cash and Carry. They had 3 pitches from memory and the club house is were Castleton Timber is now. Behind the club house was Tweedales bowling green.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 20:31 - Jul 29 with 4287 viewspioneer

I am another with genes from a T&S worker. Dad made redundant in 1962. They had been taken over by Platts and they moved all the work to Oldham.

Still have a vague memory of my dad coming home with his pint pot (always a bad sign) and my mother being very upset.
Login to get fewer ads

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 21:22 - Jul 29 with 4211 viewsSuddenLad

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:27 - Jul 29 by robtheb

Tom Ingham passed away in October 2018. He was 82. Smashing bloke and a good local bobby.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 22:49 - Jul 29 with 4137 viewsjoecooke

And another,my nan and her sister worked at Tweedales .Football pitch at the top of a hill brings back memories.If we wanted a full game as a kid,it was either up there or on Brimrod Primarys pitch.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 08:56 - Jul 30 with 3935 viewsDaleiLama

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 19:49 - Jul 29 by robtheb

Yes the pitches were taken over as a Cash and Carry. They had 3 pitches from memory and the club house is were Castleton Timber is now. Behind the club house was Tweedales bowling green.

Cheers. I was only 2 when Tweedales closed and don't remember the footy pitches. There was a bowling green behind the Farewell Inn car park - would that be the same one? Seem to remember as kids we had to climb in there when we were playing out. Many a game of football, cricket, and a pen knife could be used to make guns and bows and arrows for cowboys and indians, army etc. From tree branches. No mobiles back then and we didn't even have a house phone or indoor bathroom at first. Happy innocent days.

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 3847 viewssweetcorn

They're good lads Chris and Ian, always willing to put their money in to sponsor stuff in this town.

They sponsored my Sunday league teams kit last season and we won the league, hopefully a repeat for dale would be nice.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 10:29 - Jul 30 with 3785 views49thseason

Graces Guide has a large secion on Tweedales and Smalley for anyone interested in the history
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Tweedales_and_Smalley
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 12:44 - Jul 30 with 3645 viewsEllDale

My grandad always used to say that it was ironic that the Lancashire textile industry shot itself in the foot by selling machinery to it’s best overseas customers so that in time they could produce their own fabric.
Tweedales and Platts were in the forefront of this.
Castleton was a hotbed of industry back in the day.
As well as Tweedales there were companies like Bridges and Whipp and Bourne.
I won’t include the Dunlop which was the largest cotton mill in the country at one time as technically I suppose it’s in Sudden but I worked at Arrow Mill in the early 1980’s when it had three shifts and a full order book under American ownership.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 18:05 - Jul 30 with 3516 viewsrobtheb

Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 08:56 - Jul 30 by DaleiLama

Cheers. I was only 2 when Tweedales closed and don't remember the footy pitches. There was a bowling green behind the Farewell Inn car park - would that be the same one? Seem to remember as kids we had to climb in there when we were playing out. Many a game of football, cricket, and a pen knife could be used to make guns and bows and arrows for cowboys and indians, army etc. From tree branches. No mobiles back then and we didn't even have a house phone or indoor bathroom at first. Happy innocent days.

The bowling green that was behind The Farewell Inn was not the same as Tweedales bowling green. I to use to play on there once it was closed for bowling (never remember it being used) Tweedales green was round about the area now taken by Castleton Timber. Happy innocent days indeed.
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 19:01 - Jul 30 with 3446 views49thseason

Film of T & S from 1905
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-workers-at-barlow-and-tweedale-ironwor

There were over 50 000 people employed in Castleton at one stage,
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 19:06]
Castleton Timber and Heywood Plastics stand sponsorship on 20:31 - Jul 30 with 3340 viewsEllDale

I think that that’s the entrance by the railway rather than the one on Royle Barn Road.
Last time I was down there a lot of that building was still there having been unaffected by the fire in 1984.
It was only used by Woolworths as an overflow section once the main building had been rebuilt.
Tweedales had their own sidings with direct access to the mainline and some of line was undercover.
One other thing I remembered today was that the building which is now the Royal Toby was formerly the house of one of the Tweedales. I think it was called The Rhyddings when it was first built.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024