Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar 19:55 - Jan 21 with 2445 viewsEllDale

This may well lead me to be barred from this board but….
I’ve been thinking about the implications of a possible relegation from the EFL.
One of those is the loss of the Academy subsidy which I’m led to believe is quite substantial.
So, if Dale have to budget and save money would it make sense to scrap the Academy in which we all take a pride?
But how many decent players has it actually produced in say the last 15 or so years who went onto better things and/or made a lot of money for the club?
I’m not sure that Craig Dawson and Scott Hogan can accurately be described as Academy players.
There was a period when a few players did come through - Jamie Allen, Callum Camps, Andy Cannon, Danny Adshead, Connor Ronan, Aaron Morley, Luke Matheson.
Apologies if I’ve forgotten anyone.
We only got massive money for the latter and only the first named is playing at anything above
League One level.
The only young players in the current first team squad are Ethan Brierley and Jordan Scanlon and neither are featuring at the moment.
The players to my mind who have generated more money are the ones signed from other clubs and sold on at a profit eg Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam le Fondre, Chris O’Grady, Matty Done in addition to Dawson and Hogan.
National League clubs don’t seem to run Academies but do have youth teams.
Is it time to reluctantly pull the rug on the Academy then?
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:09 - Jan 21 with 2339 viewskel

Why would you be banned for that?
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:10 - Jan 21 with 2334 viewsblackdogblue

Not sure why that was a question on being banned?

Relegation would affect the value of any future stars we get to sell on…

Not harping on but recently we have “dipped” into the non league player market for players to develop etc… worked fooking wonders that has..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:14 - Jan 21 with 2301 viewsEllDale

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:09 - Jan 21 by kel

For saying something I think is very unpopular.
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:16 - Jan 21 with 2277 viewsjudd

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:14 - Jan 21 by EllDale

Nowt wrong with challenging all areas of cost v benefit

Poll: What is it to be then?

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:17 - Jan 21 with 2271 viewsRippDale

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:10 - Jan 21 by blackdogblue

Not sure why that was a question on being banned?

Relegation would affect the value of any future stars we get to sell on…

Not harping on but recently we have “dipped” into the non league player market for players to develop etc… worked fooking wonders that has..

Huddersfield Town stopped running an academy due to cost and only have 18+ development teams and pick players released from other teams. The percentage of players who make it through the age groups is low, so when trying to set a non league budget then it is a sensible thing to consider
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:19 - Jan 21 with 2246 viewsD_Alien

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:09 - Jan 21 by kel

Wishful thinking?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 2224 viewsD_Alien

Another aspect to the Academy question though is our status as a community club, which does potentially (at least) add value

If we abandoned the Academy, would that status suffer as well in terms of local recruitment and the involvement of schools, etc.

I agree that it's something that should be looked at, but from all aspects of our future viability
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 20:23]

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:25 - Jan 21 with 2208 views49thseason

And then there are a few players who went through the academy and promptly went elsewhere.
We have to think the previously unthinkable now, The club is bigger than any of its constituent parts and what is unaffordable will have to re-envisioned, pruned, or cut completely. Unless of course, Andrew Kelly wants to put his hand in his pocket...
Login to get fewer ads

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:29 - Jan 21 with 2173 viewskel

It’s your opinion and one I actually agree with, as I’m sure others will. We’re losing money hand over fist it would seem so everything needs looking at and if it ensures long term survival it may need to happen.
A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:40 - Jan 21 with 2114 viewsD_Alien

You know very well that you can't be banned for expressing an unpopular opinion, otherwise there'd be no-one here!

Illegal or extreme trolling, yes, but it's not a popularity contest

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:45 - Jan 21 with 2066 viewsjudd

A suggestion that will probably cause uproar on 20:40 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

You know very well that you can't be banned for expressing an unpopular opinion, otherwise there'd be no-one here!

Illegal or extreme trolling, yes, but it's not a popularity contest

Just as well, eh?

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024