Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ob - pathetic 10:30 - Jun 25 with 1411 viewsDorkingDale

Don't know about Saturday's edition as I'm an exile, but The Ob on-line sports section is still way out of date - the headline is that Lillis is on Coleman's radar, no mention whatsoever of anything since. It's an absolute disgrace that nothing has been posted ref Jonah.

There's obviously no-one updating the news section either - on Saturday Rochdale was being mentioned on national news as being hit by floods, plus the Olympic torch relay was big news. There was absolutely nothing on-line until they copied the MEN articles for the whole region about both subjects late on Saturday. Still not updated & nothing specific to Rochdale. It's a joke.
The Ob - pathetic on 10:32 - Jun 25 with 1403 viewsTVOS1907

You're not wrong. I think its days are very much numbered.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Ob - pathetic on 10:44 - Jun 25 with 1373 viewsDorkingDale

The Ob - pathetic on 10:32 - Jun 25 by TVOS1907

You're not wrong. I think its days are very much numbered.

It's a real shame - doesn't even need the expense of a local office anymore. Could be regularly updated remotely or from MEN central office.

With regard to recent Dale coverage, does it mean that Partington is on holiday?! Am sure I saw something from him on Jonah's FB page on Friday but he could have posted that from anywhere.

Whatever, it's a nonsense in this day & age.
The Ob - pathetic on 10:45 - Jun 25 with 1366 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

worst thing The Rochdale Observer ever did were sell out to the MEN Franchise

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

The Ob - pathetic on 10:48 - Jun 25 with 1361 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Local rags are doomed..........no takers these days.

Sad,but true. Can't remember last time I bought the Hebden Bridge Times.
The Ob - pathetic on 10:50 - Jun 25 with 1356 viewsD_Alien

I guess it's a question of advertising revenue.

In one sense, it's just a "front" to advertise the fact that there's a local newspaper in existence, with no regard to keeping currents events updated. If traders who advertise get wise to this (and they should be asking customers where they saw their advert) then it'll be curtains.

The best thing about the website is reading the comments by trolls on certain news items - if we thought this site had its share of morons, I'd say it's almost elitist in comparison if that's the standard of debate among the Observer-reading folk!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Ob - pathetic on 10:59 - Jun 25 with 1332 viewsTVOS1907

The Ob - pathetic on 10:48 - Jun 25 by Yorkshire_Dale

Local rags are doomed..........no takers these days.

Sad,but true. Can't remember last time I bought the Hebden Bridge Times.

Last time I saw an edition of that it was floating towards Mytholmroyd - by road!

The Ob - pathetic on 12:18 - Jun 25 with 1248 viewsfitzochris

Local press as we know it is indeed doomed. There will always be a place for it, but not in its current format.

What has happened to the Ob is no different to what is happening to local papers up and down the UK. Most local papers are owned by companies that also own national titles and major regionals. There has been a trend for 'centralising' offices for some time now. That was the first sign that things were going down hill. Now staff are on 'central contracts'. For example, you no longer work just for the Rochdale Observer, but the MEN too and any other associated titles. I'm guessing that's the case there, as it certainly is in most other operations now.

Then there's the cost associated with print media. The digital revolution is a media company owner's dream, as it is single-handedly eliminating print costs. With more and more people owning smartphones and tablet devices, hosting publications on the likes of Apple, Pagesuite, Ceros and Yudu is becoming the norm. Certainly in the field I work in it is.

This may, in fact, save local news, as it is a much more cost-effective way of reaching the consumer. There's a way to go yet, though. And not updating the website, which costs nothing other than a member of staff's time, is inexcusable.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The Ob - pathetic on 12:51 - Jun 25 with 1179 views442Dale

Saturday excepted, the print version of the Ob has improved a bit in recent weeks.

The reporter's name has changed too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

The Ob - pathetic on 12:58 - Jun 25 with 1164 viewsdownunder

Even before I left, it was organised in Stockport and printed in Oldham. Most of the Rochdale Observer original staff were forced out, plenty of court cases for unfair dismissal were fought, and mainly won by those dismissed.
But that did not make the news.
The Ob - pathetic on 13:12 - Jun 25 with 1132 viewsjudd

The Ob - pathetic on 12:18 - Jun 25 by fitzochris

Local press as we know it is indeed doomed. There will always be a place for it, but not in its current format.

What has happened to the Ob is no different to what is happening to local papers up and down the UK. Most local papers are owned by companies that also own national titles and major regionals. There has been a trend for 'centralising' offices for some time now. That was the first sign that things were going down hill. Now staff are on 'central contracts'. For example, you no longer work just for the Rochdale Observer, but the MEN too and any other associated titles. I'm guessing that's the case there, as it certainly is in most other operations now.

Then there's the cost associated with print media. The digital revolution is a media company owner's dream, as it is single-handedly eliminating print costs. With more and more people owning smartphones and tablet devices, hosting publications on the likes of Apple, Pagesuite, Ceros and Yudu is becoming the norm. Certainly in the field I work in it is.

This may, in fact, save local news, as it is a much more cost-effective way of reaching the consumer. There's a way to go yet, though. And not updating the website, which costs nothing other than a member of staff's time, is inexcusable.

Are you a farmer?

Poll: What is it to be then?

The Ob - pathetic on 13:19 - Jun 25 with 1119 viewsColDale

Whilst the articles haven't made to the online version, I'd say the printed version has had something of a renaissance this Summer. It's been many years since we could rely upon the Ob for exclusive news, but they've had a few this summer with regular interviews with Bell and Coleman.
The Ob - pathetic on 13:37 - Jun 25 with 1088 viewsfitzochris

The Ob - pathetic on 13:12 - Jun 25 by judd

Are you a farmer?

Yes. I work in a very big field.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The Ob - pathetic on 14:37 - Jun 25 with 1016 viewsTVOS1907

The Ob - pathetic on 12:51 - Jun 25 by 442Dale

Saturday excepted, the print version of the Ob has improved a bit in recent weeks.

The reporter's name has changed too.

Back to Les Barlow?

The Ob - pathetic on 00:20 - Jun 26 with 781 viewsStatzdale

The Ob - pathetic on 14:37 - Jun 25 by TVOS1907

Back to Les Barlow?

The cricket reporting is an absolute joke. They apparently told the reporters who did reports for Rochdale Littleborough Milnrow and Norden that they were no longer bieng paid for doing reports. And the clubs were told that the only way that scorecards and reports would get published was if individual clubs sent stuff in. I no longer buy the observer so am not sure if this is still is the case or things have improved. The first time in 100+ years that all cricket matches involving local clubs are not published on a regular basis
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024