Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Coleman 18:29 - Dec 21 with 2258 viewsArthurDaley

Who was the face of sport on the BBC, has died. He was on the Beeb for years covering football and the Olypics, and did question of sport.
He had the odd blunder which lead to a Coleman balls column in Private Eye.
RIP David.

David Coleman

"He is one of the great unknown champions because very little is known about him."

"If that had gone in, it would have been a goal."

"We estimate, and this isn't an estimation, that Greta Waltz is 80 seconds behind."

"He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before in 62."

"And the line-up for the final of the women's 400 metres hurdles includes three Russians, two East Germans, a Pole, a Swede and a Frenchman."

"The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel."

"The Republic of China: back in the Olympic Games for the first time."

"That's the fastest time ever run, but it's not as fast as the world record."

"Forest have now lost six matches without winning."

"There is a fine line between serendipity and stalking."

"This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning."

"He's seven seconds ahead and that's a good question."

"I think there is no doubt, she'll probably qualify for the final."

Some of his imitators

"Without being too harsh on David, he cost us the match." - Ian Wright

"They didn't change positions, they just moved the players around." - Terry Venables

"Michael Owen to Newcastle is the biggest transfer of the season so far - and it will be until there's a bigger one." - Jim White

"I can learn as much from Darius Vassell as he can from me - but he can learn more" - Andrew Cole

"I'd like to have seen Tony Morley left on as a down-and-out winger." - Jimmy Armfield

"I spent four indifferent years at Goodison, but they were great years." - Martin Hodge

A large VAT Dave

David Coleman on 18:34 - Dec 21 with 2254 viewsBartRowou

Classic Coleman:

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

David Coleman on 18:38 - Dec 21 with 2237 viewsBingoballs

Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class.
David Coleman on 18:49 - Dec 21 with 2212 viewsD_Alien

I've been searching t' net for video of Coleman's commentary on David Hemery winning gold in the 400m hurdles in Mexico 1968, but no luck.

If anyone can oblige, it's possibly THE defining athletics commentary.

I've no doubt it'll be shown on tv during the tribute programmes that will follow.

RIP David Coleman

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

David Coleman on 19:31 - Dec 21 with 2170 viewsSuddenLad

David Coleman on 18:49 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

I've been searching t' net for video of Coleman's commentary on David Hemery winning gold in the 400m hurdles in Mexico 1968, but no luck.

If anyone can oblige, it's possibly THE defining athletics commentary.

I've no doubt it'll be shown on tv during the tribute programmes that will follow.

RIP David Coleman

It's been on a few times already today. As you say, classic stuff.

It's hard to imagine any commentator today having the impact that David Coleman did when in his heyday. He was the voice of football, athletics, the Olympic Games, FA Cup finals, World Cups, question master on Question of Sport - he was also the presenter of nearly all BBC sports programmes, Grandstand, Sportsnight with Coleman and Match of the Day.

His on-scene coverage of the terrorist attacks at the Munich Olympics and the Brazil v England World Cup match was unforgettable.

He was a consummate professional and will never be equalled.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

David Coleman on 19:46 - Dec 21 with 2141 viewsfrenzied

Added to whatever sporting event he was commenting on..so much modern commentary is bland, dull, lacks any true soul or enthusiasm for what is taking place.
A terrific broadcaster, a joy to listen to, brought so much colour to the spectacle...along with Brian Moore and Hugh Johns will be greatly missed by all sports fans
David Coleman on 19:48 - Dec 21 with 2138 viewsBigKindo

Born down the road in Alderley Edge and in his own right a successful amateur County cross country runner in the early 1950's. Head liner for a long standing bi-weekly feature in Private Eye, Coleman Balls, which hopefully will be a future inclusion in the Oxford Dictionary.

R.I.P.
David Coleman on 20:16 - Dec 21 with 2105 viewsmacro

A question of sport with Beaumont, Carson, Hughes etc quality viewing
David Coleman on 20:19 - Dec 21 with 2100 viewsroccydaleian

R.I.P. David Coleman.
Login to get fewer ads

David Coleman on 20:26 - Dec 21 with 2087 viewspioneer

David Coleman on 19:31 - Dec 21 by SuddenLad

It's been on a few times already today. As you say, classic stuff.

It's hard to imagine any commentator today having the impact that David Coleman did when in his heyday. He was the voice of football, athletics, the Olympic Games, FA Cup finals, World Cups, question master on Question of Sport - he was also the presenter of nearly all BBC sports programmes, Grandstand, Sportsnight with Coleman and Match of the Day.

His on-scene coverage of the terrorist attacks at the Munich Olympics and the Brazil v England World Cup match was unforgettable.

He was a consummate professional and will never be equalled.

I hope they ran the Hemery commentary on through the first three finishers,

That's the one where he said" Hemery wins the gold for britiain, Arshenov the Russian gets the silver, who cares who is third" It was John Sherwood from Sheffield! Classic.

Probably the last of that great generation of sports commentators the BBC had. Wolstenholme, Carpenter, Maskell, Waring, Longhurst, OSullivan, Laker, McLaren, Morgan.

I suppose Murray Walker would be part of that group and is still going.
RIP David
David Coleman on 20:43 - Dec 21 with 2068 viewsYouTubeDale

Yes, commentators should have more charisma like Coleman.

Liverpool was my team back in the day. I remember this match as though it was yesterday.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

David Coleman on 21:56 - Dec 21 with 2011 viewsDiddyDave

I remember he was a good friend of Lillian Board who was a "certainty" to win the gold medal at the Olympics in `68(I think),but she got run down late by a Frenchwoman and it wasn`t long after that she found out she had cancer and died in a very short time. A real tragedy,Coleman did a lot for her family after she passed away,he did the commentary in that race. I never thought he was a good football commentator though,Grandstand was always his best on TV in my opinion.
David Coleman on 12:17 - Dec 22 with 1958 viewsYouTubeDale

Speaks for itself ...

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

David Coleman on 19:21 - Dec 22 with 1876 viewsregjenkins

its almost like i can't ever remember this man not being on the BBC!!! a true legend and a man who could commentate on any sport. R.I.P David Coleman.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

David Coleman on 20:33 - Dec 22 with 1836 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

ONE NIL....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024