Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Parkes 22:10 - May 10 with 5891 viewsloftboy

About to start treatment for bowel cancer,
best of luck Phil.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Phil Parkes on 22:11 - May 10 with 5212 viewsBrightonhoop

Bloody 'ell. Good luck Phil.
Phil Parkes on 22:14 - May 10 with 5197 viewsPilky

Fecking cancer. Best of luck Phil.
Phil Parkes on 22:46 - May 10 with 5155 viewsCanadaRanger

That one is survivable if they find it early enough. My father-in-law had it 30 years ago and is still doing well in his 90's with no re-occurrence.

Best wishes, Phil. You are, and always have been, an inspiration.
Phil Parkes on 02:28 - May 11 with 5073 viewsade_qpr

damn fine GK in his day, bit unlucky not to get more caps with the likes of Shilton and Clements around
Bowel cancer is very beatable, know a couple of people who have.

All the best to Phil, part of a great squad of memories

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Phil Parkes on 03:22 - May 11 with 5049 viewsNov77

My first rangers hero when I was a kid. To this day I don't think I've ever been as gutted about a player leaving as I was when we sold parksy to the spammers.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Phil Parkes on 07:42 - May 11 with 5011 viewssmegma

A mate in Hammersmith was diagnosed with this in January last year. His letter more or less said it was terminal and he had no more than 12 months left. Just been given the all clear following two major operations that made his stomach look like a tube map.
Phil Parkes on 08:05 - May 11 with 4991 viewsqprmick

Phil Parkes on 07:42 - May 11 by smegma

A mate in Hammersmith was diagnosed with this in January last year. His letter more or less said it was terminal and he had no more than 12 months left. Just been given the all clear following two major operations that made his stomach look like a tube map.

Best of luck big fella. We have had some great Goalkeepers but you was my favourite.
[Post edited 11 May 2014 13:24]

Qprmick

Phil Parkes on 09:34 - May 11 with 4938 viewsfrancisbowles

Our best ever goalkeeper. I remember one fantastic 0-0 draw with Leicester where both keepers, Parksy and Shilton were incredible.

The Sunday paper had three players given a 10, Gerry Francis and the two goalies. Never seen that anywhere else.

Good luck Phil.
Login to get fewer ads

Phil Parkes on 09:58 - May 11 with 4907 viewsMonahoop

Hope all goes well for him. Easily the finest keeper QPR have had since I've been following them.

Good luck.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Phil Parkes on 10:23 - May 11 with 4888 views18StoneOfHoop

Phil Parkes on 03:22 - May 11 by Nov77

My first rangers hero when I was a kid. To this day I don't think I've ever been as gutted about a player leaving as I was when we sold parksy to the spammers.

Me too Nov77, the first time I really started regularly going to Rangers I was nearly 10 and I was amazingly fortunate and privileged to experience our best ever season 1975-1976 when Phil was our 25 year-old brilliant keeper and the base of our success.

My vantage point was immediately or slightly to the right behind the Loft end goal - the first row in behind the advertising boards was all kids. I used to enter the ground with my elder brother - who stood a further 3/4 steps back - around 2ish just to ensure a good spot and to soak up the atmosphere, count the seats and lights on the floodlights and read every word of Ron Phillips' excellent programme.

You always knew when the big bouffant-haired,walrus-moustachioed,barrel-chested Phil Parkes was on his way out to take his place between the sticks in the warm-up because of the overwhelming olfactory assault! I'm still not sure if it was just embrocation or linament rubbed on to keep his muscles loose or was it that great pong also mixed in with the whiff of Cossack Hairspray that he was poster boy for,(in rivalry to Kevin Keegan and Henry Cooper with the, alleged, 'great smell of Brut'.)

http://thehairhalloffame.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/cossack-hair-spray.html

He did have the odd televised stand-out ricket where daisy-cutter soft shots crept agonisingly under his large frame but to my mind he's simply the best QPR goalie have ever had.
An amazingly reassuring commanding presence to the fans & back four,a brilliant shot-stopper,massive hands with his own special gloves,confident and reliable on crosses, quick accurate distribution by throw or by kick and unlucky not to get more than the one England cap (v Portugal 1974) because he played in an era when England were blessed with so many top keepers (Shilton,Clemence,Corrigan et al )
I cried my eyes out when he left for a then World Record for a goalie 565,000 to West Ham in February 1979. Funnily enough he then went on to make exactly as many league appearances for WHU as for us: 344. As popular at Upton Park as he was here,voted by West Ham fans as their best all-time keeper.

Whenever I've seen him since on telly or listened to him on the radio, with his distinctive softly-spoken Black Country burr, he comes across as a thoughtful intelligent, observer of the game and I know when he comes back to Loftus Road as a corporate host, genial courteous patient Phil gives excellent value. No enemies in the world and no bad behaviour or embarrassing incidents to sully his good name,a dedicated professional and a credit to the game.

Hang on in there Big Phil! Fight on!
All power (& disease fighting antibodies) to your hands, elbows, knees and most of all your harris!

[Post edited 12 May 2014 0:37]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Phil Parkes on 10:34 - May 11 with 4872 viewsHollowayRanger

only saw him play the once ...for west ham sigh

wish the big man the best of luck

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Phil Parkes on 10:39 - May 11 with 4866 viewsHantsR

Saw his first game for us and it was so reassuring to see the way he dealt with a firm shot in those very capable hands. Best goalie we've had in my time.

Obviously wish him all the best for a quick and thorough recovery.
Phil Parkes on 11:41 - May 11 with 4830 viewsJAPRANGERS

Our greatest goalkeeper ever maybe.

I met him once when he turned up at the football club I played for when I was a youngster. An absolute man mountain, built like the proverbial brick wall! Really decent guy. All I can say is I wish him all the best and hope he can make his greatest save now, himself.
Phil Parkes on 12:13 - May 11 with 4799 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

I was chatting to him at the Yeovil game. I lived close to him when he was in digs in Wendell Road when he first played for us (Dave Thomas moved in when he moved out) and it was great to reminisce. All the best to the big man.
Phil Parkes on 14:10 - May 11 with 4733 viewspaulparker

fecking kunt of a disease, fingers crossed Parksey gets through it
the old man could never work out how clemence got in before parkes for England
just out of interest did phil own Parkseys sport shop in the bush???
used to send my poor old nan down there all the time to pick me up QPR stuff

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Phil Parkes on 14:14 - May 11 with 4731 viewsterryb

You should hear him talking about THAT GAME on easter Saturday 1976.

He describes it 100% as per my memories & he still hurts form it.

Good luck Phil. Hope for a full recovery.
Phil Parkes on 14:33 - May 11 with 4718 viewsnewgolddream

Good luck Phil
Phil Parkes on 14:45 - May 11 with 4709 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Phil Parkes on 14:10 - May 11 by paulparker

fecking kunt of a disease, fingers crossed Parksey gets through it
the old man could never work out how clemence got in before parkes for England
just out of interest did phil own Parkseys sport shop in the bush???
used to send my poor old nan down there all the time to pick me up QPR stuff

He did indeed own the sports shop. His was the Bush end of Uxbridge Rd and Ron Springett had one further down opposite the British Queen and obviously both played for the Rs and England during their careers.
Phil Parkes on 15:03 - May 11 with 4688 viewsDiscodroid

as a wee laddie growing up in east ham, phil was opening a wendy's american burger joint
in green street at the juncture of harold road..i must have been about ten(phil was at west ham by now)... i put on my blue and white scarf and went down to get a glimpse of this krakken like giant of a man.

the crowds of snotty kids in their parka's was overwhelming, but i hung in there and phil signed his famous cheeky smiley face signature for me on my history book , which was covered with the 7" single of sid vicious "com'n everybody ".

i was too nervous to talk to him but ive still got his signature in my mums loft.

it meant the world to a ten year old boy.

god bless you phil,

you can beat it,

glenn
[Post edited 11 May 2014 15:07]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Phil Parkes on 17:20 - May 11 with 4639 viewsthemodfather

all the very best to phil parkes..a great goalie and if clemence or shilton were not about, he'd have won near 100 caps....( there was also corrigan, rimmer that were capped too at the time)
Phil Parkes on 18:14 - May 11 with 4597 viewsCamberleyR

Also read on dot.org that Ian Gillard is battling the disease as well. Best wishes to both Parkesy and Gilly, two bona fide Rs legends.

Criminal that he only ever got one England cap, he was twice the keeper Clemence was but played for an "unfashionable" team. Like others I too was gutted when he was sold to Wet Spam. Convinced we would have bounced back at the first attempt after relegation in '79 had he been in goal.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Phil Parkes on 19:32 - May 11 with 4559 viewsDoughnut

Phil Parkes was Goaly when it all started for me. Icon of an R!! Get well soon big man.
Phil Parkes on 19:40 - May 11 with 4547 viewsbosh67

Phil Parkes on 19:32 - May 11 by Doughnut

Phil Parkes was Goaly when it all started for me. Icon of an R!! Get well soon big man.

Here here. Get well soon Phil. Legend.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Phil Parkes on 22:46 - May 11 with 4495 viewsCiderwithRsie

Phil Parkes on 03:22 - May 11 by Nov77

More or less took the words out of my mouth. Dunno why I made Phil Parkes my hero ahead of all those great outfield players, but there you go.

Good luck Phil, we're all rooting for you.
Phil Parkes on 23:51 - May 11 with 4479 viewsBrightonhoop

Phil Parkes on 10:23 - May 11 by 18StoneOfHoop

Me too Nov77, the first time I really started regularly going to Rangers I was nearly 10 and I was amazingly fortunate and privileged to experience our best ever season 1975-1976 when Phil was our 25 year-old brilliant keeper and the base of our success.

My vantage point was immediately or slightly to the right behind the Loft end goal - the first row in behind the advertising boards was all kids. I used to enter the ground with my elder brother - who stood a further 3/4 steps back - around 2ish just to ensure a good spot and to soak up the atmosphere, count the seats and lights on the floodlights and read every word of Ron Phillips' excellent programme.

You always knew when the big bouffant-haired,walrus-moustachioed,barrel-chested Phil Parkes was on his way out to take his place between the sticks in the warm-up because of the overwhelming olfactory assault! I'm still not sure if it was just embrocation or linament rubbed on to keep his muscles loose or was it that great pong also mixed in with the whiff of Cossack Hairspray that he was poster boy for,(in rivalry to Kevin Keegan and Henry Cooper with the, alleged, 'great smell of Brut'.)

http://thehairhalloffame.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/cossack-hair-spray.html

He did have the odd televised stand-out ricket where daisy-cutter soft shots crept agonisingly under his large frame but to my mind he's simply the best QPR goalie have ever had.
An amazingly reassuring commanding presence to the fans & back four,a brilliant shot-stopper,massive hands with his own special gloves,confident and reliable on crosses, quick accurate distribution by throw or by kick and unlucky not to get more than the one England cap (v Portugal 1974) because he played in an era when England were blessed with so many top keepers (Shilton,Clemence,Corrigan et al )
I cried my eyes out when he left for a then World Record for a goalie 565,000 to West Ham in February 1979. Funnily enough he then went on to make exactly as many league appearances for WHU as for us: 344. As popular at Upton Park as he was here,voted by West Ham fans as their best all-time keeper.

Whenever I've seen him since on telly or listened to him on the radio, with his distinctive softly-spoken Black Country burr, he comes across as a thoughtful intelligent, observer of the game and I know when he comes back to Loftus Road as a corporate host, genial courteous patient Phil gives excellent value. No enemies in the world and no bad behaviour or embarrassing incidents to sully his good name,a dedicated professional and a credit to the game.

Hang on in there Big Phil! Fight on!
All power (& disease fighting antibodies) to your hands, elbows, knees and most of all your harris!

[Post edited 12 May 2014 0:37]

I must have stood nearby you many games back then 18. What a gentleman he is, the likes of which we've never seen since, and an outstanding stopper. Cried like a girl when he went to Wet Spam too. The original gentle giant. Hang in there Phil.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024