Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We got it wrong 17:10 - Nov 29 with 8328 views442Dale

They were there to be got at first half, a defence that looked unsteady with the ball at their feet and susceptible to teams passing it in a around them. Except we didn't do it enough. Midfield was a bit of a mystery, it looked like a diamond, but one which players were unsure of their roles in - RNL especially. Did he play there v MK Dons too?

Without wanting to start yet another debate, the stats and games like illustrate why we need Hery from the start at home. Got to make the opposition think and neither Lund or Dawson did that, and their unsteady defence wouldn't have grown in confidence like they did if those questions would have been asked more often with the Frenchman in the side.

Oldham deserved the win because they produced a good away display, nothing special but effective winners.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

We got it wrong on 19:29 - Nov 29 with 2516 viewsolympicdale

We were never in this game, 4 or 5-0 wouldn't have flattered Oldham, they were much better in all areas, tight in control, great one touch passing, closed down the space marvelously, we were hanging on when we were 0-1, never threatening Kenny from minute one.

Once again Hilly choose to change the game when all hope was lost, almost not knowing what to do by the end, players thrown on anywhere.

Very bad day at the office, one that needs to be throughly looked at, we're well behind these teams.

Life is a game of fate.

We got it wrong on 20:01 - Nov 29 with 2434 views442Dale

Needs to be remembered we're missing/have missed some of our best players recently. Done, Henderson and Vincenti have been quite consistently the three in advanced areas this season, and their goal totals alone indicate how important that one or two of them missing can be.

We're still 8 points above the bottom four (a three game swing) despite one point in four games, so although we might be lowering expectations a bit since the Preston game we're still doing pretty well. Get the aforementioned trio back in regularly and those targets may change again; it's one of those seasons where what we might think is achievable one month might seem a bit out of reach a few weeks later. Keep that gap intact for now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

We got it wrong on 21:07 - Nov 29 with 2349 viewsSaxonDale

I thought for whatever reason we were really poor today and didn't deserve anything from the game. Credit to Oldham, they're one of the best teams I've seen at Spotlamd this season and if we finish above them this season then we'll be closer to the play-offs than the relegation zone.

It is perhaps a too simplistic view on the game but we simply didn't test the opposition keeper enough times. Muldoon doesn't look anywhere near the finished article and wasted our best few chances in the first half (although admittedly one was created through his own hard work.) I feel at times we miss a natural goal scorer, a few times good deliveries were put into dangerous areas but Henderson and Muldoon were nowhere in sight.

I thought both fullbacks played well with Bennett really is becoming a key part of our defensive unit in the last few weeks. Jamie Allen is one of the finest talents this club has seen and I'm sure we'll have offers on the table for him from Premiership clubs in January. Lund and Dawson were both far from their best and I agree with the comments re Hery. Bad day at the office and we need to address the way we play at home, which I'm sure will happen.
We got it wrong on 21:30 - Nov 29 with 2307 viewsstuartcryer

I agree with the above

wardle blue

We got it wrong on 22:13 - Nov 29 with 2249 viewsChaffRAFC

I thought our midfield three today, was our strongest available so to say we lost the midfield was very concerning.

However, the point for me is the lack of a strikeforce. We've needed a striker since we lost Hogan in the summer, it's been the one position we've needed since the beginning of the season and the only two that came in were Muldoon and Andrew, well, I'm afraid that simply isn't enough. We've converted a left winger/left back into a makeshift striker who's bagged goals but we're desperate for someone else to chip in. Calvin Andrew will make George Donnelly look like a goal machine and the decision to give him a two year deal gives me a migraine. Muldoon was a gamble but I'm not sure we're going to get much more from him.

We've got a good side, one not worse than Latics in my view, but we are definitely a striker short and this run of form is partly down to the stubbornness of Hill not to view that as a priority.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

We got it wrong on 22:19 - Nov 29 with 2237 viewsRotherhamDale

To be fair to the midfield, they weren't really in a system that allowed them to control the game. Allen did his best, but they were all so far apart it was impossible to string anything together.

Possession with progression.

We got it wrong on 22:26 - Nov 29 with 2216 viewsbennersdale

Were two of our midfield even fit to start the game though? Dawson and Lund were odds on out for the game according to some so why not start fit players? Hery must have such a low self esteem at the minute if players who aren't 100% fit are getting a game before him. Also like D alien has mentioned we have now been found out. We really need forwards who know were the net is to change our approach to games.

Hasta el valle abajo de la cerveza

We got it wrong on 10:17 - Nov 30 with 2069 viewsBIffoBiffoBiffo

Personally I didnt think it was anything like a 3-0. We were just slightly better in all areas. I.e. We moved it slightly quicker, a 50/50 was won by us and we looked slightly quicker. Add all those up and it eqates to a win.

We didnt dominate for long spells like you would expect from a 3-0. It wasn't as if you couldn't get the ball or your keeper was making save after save.

You need a striker from that performance and some pace. You couldn't stretch us, but you were not that far off us IMO. Its just the extra 5%, that turns a draw into a win for us.

As for the midfield, with the exception of the first 20 at bristol city, our midfield has outplayed most sides. Its our strongest area
[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 10:24]
Login to get fewer ads

We got it wrong on 10:28 - Nov 30 with 2045 viewsColDale

I know I'm in a minority in this, but I didn't think we were that bad.

First half we had two teams which were pretty equal, whilst neither side offered anything up front. They got the break and went 1-0 up. Had we scored first, it could have been three nil to us - I thought PNE looked a far better side than they did yesterday.

I think the way we play this season, the first goal is key to everything, and as such it seems like every game is either a 3-0 win or a 3-0 defeat. Donny aside, we're set up as a side to take advantage of a team coming at us.

I'm never one to criticise refs as a rule, but I thought it was a nailed on penalty when Lund was dragged down in the box. The corner was coming straight to him. Whether being on four yellows stifled any sort of appeal from him, or maybe the ref just didn't see it, but we were on top at that stage.

Equally the challenge on Jamie Allen. Not seen a replay back yet, but we've suffered two reds recently for far less than this. our best man was taken out the game by this challenge, and thirty seconds later, they have a penalty. Changed the game completely.

both incidents had me thinking that a John Coleman side would have took full advantage of both incidents and got the decisions from both. Not for one moment advocating a return to that style of shenanigans but we're just a bit nice at times.

I think we suffered from having both Lund and Dawson playing. Neither were fully fit, and Lund in particular looks like he's been brought back too soon. Been a busy few weeks for him, and it's showing.

It's another battle lost whilst the war's being won, but it shows that we need Done alongside Hendo, as neither look comfortable alongside anyone else.

This post has been edited by an administrator
We got it wrong on 12:31 - Nov 30 with 1952 viewsJimmyRustler

We got it wrong on 10:28 - Nov 30 by ColDale

First half we had two teams which were pretty equal, whilst neither side offered anything up front. They got the break and went 1-0 up. Had we scored first, it could have been three nil to us - I thought PNE looked a far better side than they did yesterday.

I think the way we play this season, the first goal is key to everything, and as such it seems like every game is either a 3-0 win or a 3-0 defeat. Donny aside, we're set up as a side to take advantage of a team coming at us.

I'm never one to criticise refs as a rule, but I thought it was a nailed on penalty when Lund was dragged down in the box. The corner was coming straight to him. Whether being on four yellows stifled any sort of appeal from him, or maybe the ref just didn't see it, but we were on top at that stage.

Equally the challenge on Jamie Allen. Not seen a replay back yet, but we've suffered two reds recently for far less than this. our best man was taken out the game by this challenge, and thirty seconds later, they have a penalty. Changed the game completely.

both incidents had me thinking that a John Coleman side would have took full advantage of both incidents and got the decisions from both. Not for one moment advocating a return to that style of shenanigans but we're just a bit nice at times.

I think we suffered from having both Lund and Dawson playing. Neither were fully fit, and Lund in particular looks like he's been brought back too soon. Been a busy few weeks for him, and it's showing.

It's another battle lost whilst the war's being won, but it shows that we need Done alongside Hendo, as neither look comfortable alongside anyone else.

I thought that apart from a brief spell in the second half we were comfortably outplayed and dominated throughout the majority of the game.
We got it wrong on 14:22 - Nov 30 with 1910 viewsShawLatic

Odd comment Preston were a better side than us yet you drubbed them 3 nil.
We got it wrong on 14:33 - Nov 30 with 1896 viewsTomRAFC

Ever ytime we got the ball they had us closed down in seconds. There was no way we were going to play a pretty passing came if we didn't have the space.

We needed someone to try and beat a man or change our tactics. Neither happened. The changes we made came too late.

Oldham's tactics to stop us playing our game were bang on but think 3-0 was slightly flattering.

We need an attacker who can get into goalscoring positions in the box. We aren't going to be able to get an obvious name so Hilly will have to get his thinking cap on. As a general rule he is usually good at spotting players even if there have been a few duds.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

We got it wrong on 18:55 - Nov 30 with 1800 viewsnordenblue

We got it wrong on 14:22 - Nov 30 by ShawLatic

Odd comment Preston were a better side than us yet you drubbed them 3 nil.

Id fully agree that Preston are a far better side than Oldham which just shows how poorly we played yesterday.
Against Oldham we got exactly what we deserved and some baffling decision making by mr Hill im afraid didn't help matters
We got it wrong on 21:07 - Nov 30 with 1739 viewsfermin

Before I say anything else I would like to say that Oldham were clearly the better side yesterday and deserved to win. However, was Logan really tested any more than Kenny?

The first goal was a regulation save which fell luckily on the ricochet to the same player. The penalty was a light shirt pull (and hence was a penalty, despite their player doing the usual dying swan dive) but the actual move wasn't going to produce anything. The third goal was a nice move and a good finish.

In the first half despite all their possession were they ever in a good position to score? Were we actually that stretched defensively when it mattered? As I was at the other end of the ground it was difficult to tell how dangerous their attacks were. In the second half I don't think they really looked like scoring until the third goal. In fact at times I was distracted by antics of the Oldham idiots without being that worried about what was happening on the pitch at either end.

Overall, I thought they passed the ball around nicely, had good movement and dominated possession, but thinking back I don't believe our defence was that stretched, particularly in the second half. Doncaster caused us a lot more problems in the second half, even allowing for the fact we only had 10 men.

As for us, it would have been interesting (and obviously more enjoyable) if we had made more of our few decent positions in the first half, but that has been a problem in quite a few games this season. However, in other games we have also created more and taken quite a few of them, so it has not mattered so much. Muldoon was the one who messed up the three best positions but at least he was there and with a bit more experience he should be able to do better in my opinion if he is given a chance in other games. I can't see what Andrew brings - putting him on to help get a goal is almost like a declaration in cricket.

Overall, having slept on it I am not as despondent about the result as I was yesterday. However, I do feel Hill needs to think about having a different game plan as the opposition seem to have sussed us out. In any case I don't think the 'long-passing' game works that well without Vincenti or Done. Henderson was bit anonymous by his standards as well, though I couldn't work out enough of what was going on down the other end in the second half.
We got it wrong on 10:05 - Dec 1 with 1609 viewsParkinsGimp

Taken time to calm down on the footballing front. We should of had Hery on from start. RNL was not at the game at all , he didnt even look interested and couldnt trap a bag of cement.
Muldoon, is not up to this standard of football yet. He looked clueless, and yes he did mess up 3 very good chances.
We seemed devoid of any ideas when going forward.
Poor Tanser had a off game( but every player can have a poor game, at least he still tried).
I would say only Bennet and Allen came out of that game with any merit.
As for Andrew coming on the pitch, this guy is a complete joke and I cannot for the life of me see why he was ever signed on a professional contract!
Biffo;s were not that good, well they were good at conning the ref. Doubt tehy will be in play-offs , but I also doubt we will if we persist in trying to win games without a recognised centre forward, I think we have been fortunate so far.
We got it wrong on 10:51 - Dec 1 with 1600 viewsCockneyDale

Agree with Col. We weren't quite as good as them and certainly not nearly as good as we can be. There wasn't three goals between the sides' performances, as Preston would also say from when we beat them.

l would also add that just before the penalty the ref should have awarded us a corner when their defender blatantly dived and the ref was conned.

Onwards....
We got it wrong on 11:23 - Dec 1 with 1583 viewsD_Alien

In trying to think back to our last home performance where we failed to turn up, didn't have to think long.

0-3 v Southend in April. Did it matter in the bigger scheme of things? Given that we were promoted and Southend weren't, no.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

We got it wrong on 11:30 - Dec 1 with 1573 viewsoa85

I'll take a 3-0 win after playing average. The difference in the teams as we had more pace and were more clinical. We didn't play half as well as we did at Sheff United and we were very sloppy at times, but we got the job done. Against a better team it may have been a different story.
We got it wrong on 21:49 - Dec 1 with 1484 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The way I feel:
- we overachieve so a lull should always to some extent be expected;
- no one is to blame and I will not single anyone out for abuse;
- if I'm brutally honest when Andrew is on, sorry, I'll refrain, the way we play when he's on, just makes me want to go home or do something else, anything that doesn't involve watching Dale. It's nothing personal towards him I just can't think of anything more pointlessly boring than lumping a ball to an immovable target to simply flick it on to players who are far better than that. Not blaming him for the defeat or anything like that just expressing my opinion of that type of strategy.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 21:54]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

We got it wrong on 21:56 - Dec 1 with 1455 viewsD_Alien

We got it wrong on 21:49 - Dec 1 by BigDaveMyCock

The way I feel:
- we overachieve so a lull should always to some extent be expected;
- no one is to blame and I will not single anyone out for abuse;
- if I'm brutally honest when Andrew is on, sorry, I'll refrain, the way we play when he's on, just makes me want to go home or do something else, anything that doesn't involve watching Dale. It's nothing personal towards him I just can't think of anything more pointlessly boring than lumping a ball to an immovable target to simply flick it on to players who are far better than that. Not blaming him for the defeat or anything like that just expressing my opinion of that type of strategy.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 21:54]

I think we know how you feel about deploying a typical targetman up front, and most of us would agree.

What I'd add though is that if you're going to lump the ball forwards, as per our main strategy over the last few games, it's as well to have someone who at least stands a chance of getting on the end of it. Now Andrew isn't the most mobile targetman, certainly no COG, but that's not his fault.

But if you're going to play Henderson & Muldoon or Done (when available) and in the absence of Vincenti, it's a strategy doomed to fail.

We got it wrong on 22:20 - Dec 1 with 1401 viewsBigDaveMyCock

We got it wrong on 21:56 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

I think we know how you feel about deploying a typical targetman up front, and most of us would agree.

What I'd add though is that if you're going to lump the ball forwards, as per our main strategy over the last few games, it's as well to have someone who at least stands a chance of getting on the end of it. Now Andrew isn't the most mobile targetman, certainly no COG, but that's not his fault.

But if you're going to play Henderson & Muldoon or Done (when available) and in the absence of Vincenti, it's a strategy doomed to fail.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is? Is it that if we're going to deploy long balls to a target man then Andrew is the best equipped for that strategy?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

We got it wrong on 23:01 - Dec 1 with 1362 viewsD_Alien

We got it wrong on 22:20 - Dec 1 by BigDaveMyCock

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is? Is it that if we're going to deploy long balls to a target man then Andrew is the best equipped for that strategy?

Not exactly. Rather, that if we're going to lump the ball forwards then having skilful but relatively lightweight players like Hendo, Done & Muldoon chasing after them is a pretty dire form of attack, little better than the kick and rush of several decades ago.

With Vincenti playing wide and possibly Bennett on t' other side, targeted balls from Logan or the centre backs provide a decent out-ball in addition to having a dynamic midfield. On saturday, our midfield clearly wasn't able to create any space or guile to break through Latics, and in the absence of anyone with sufficient stature to challenge for the aerial ball we ended up living on scraps and the odd mistake by the Latics defence. That's why I came away from the game shaking my head.

Andrew isn't the answer, but having a targetman available to at least aim the out-ball to makes some kind of sense.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 23:02]

We got it wrong on 23:09 - Dec 1 with 1333 viewsdingdangblue

We got it wrong on 23:01 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

Not exactly. Rather, that if we're going to lump the ball forwards then having skilful but relatively lightweight players like Hendo, Done & Muldoon chasing after them is a pretty dire form of attack, little better than the kick and rush of several decades ago.

With Vincenti playing wide and possibly Bennett on t' other side, targeted balls from Logan or the centre backs provide a decent out-ball in addition to having a dynamic midfield. On saturday, our midfield clearly wasn't able to create any space or guile to break through Latics, and in the absence of anyone with sufficient stature to challenge for the aerial ball we ended up living on scraps and the odd mistake by the Latics defence. That's why I came away from the game shaking my head.

Andrew isn't the answer, but having a targetman available to at least aim the out-ball to makes some kind of sense.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 23:02]

If only we had someone in midfield who could open up defences, beat a man and get us passing the ball around with invention and purpose.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

We got it wrong on 23:19 - Dec 1 with 1312 viewsD_Alien

We got it wrong on 23:09 - Dec 1 by dingdangblue

If only we had someone in midfield who could open up defences, beat a man and get us passing the ball around with invention and purpose.

Quite.

But when we have a young lad like Nyal Bell available too? He had ten minutes against Coventry and scared the living daylights out of them. Twenty minutes from him (before we conceded the penalty) might have got us a foothold in the game whilst they worked out what to do with him. It wouldn't matter if Hilly then hid him away for another month. But what's he for if not to make an impact that Andrew never will?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 23:20]

We got it wrong on 23:35 - Dec 1 with 1289 viewsYorkshire_Dale

We got it wrong on 23:09 - Dec 1 by dingdangblue

.......yeah, good point dangler......but who could fulfil that request,someone with a bit of say,Gallic flair?

No not Flare!

Regarding Andrew........I always think he really looks the part coming on and passing on bench instructions,but within minutes he is quite anonymous. I really do want him to surprise us and do well......I'm still hoping.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024