Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeping Fit 19:23 - Dec 7 with 3967 viewsexiled_dictator

now i know that several of you lot are into your fitness
even remember about some of you running marathons
i can't even run a bath ....

but this morning, at 4.30, my wife and i both went out for a brisk hard walk
ensured that we kept up a fast pace so i could feel my thighs and calves working
did 1 hour in the quiet empty streets of london
got back and did plenty of stretching hoping not to cramp up later on
plan to keep this up for as long as we can
desperately need to lose weight and get fitter, get some cardio going and feel better
ultimately, i want to lose 20 - 25 kg but am happy to wait for this to happen
eat 10% less and exercise to achieve my goal
will keep clear of any gymnasium

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Keeping Fit on 19:30 - Dec 7 with 3373 viewsMoonshineSteve

Good man. Good luck.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Keeping Fit on 19:33 - Dec 7 with 3363 views1BobbyHazell

Cut back on the bread, spuds, pasta and rice (particularly white) and get into quinoa.

You'll be a new man by March.
Keeping Fit on 19:35 - Dec 7 with 3351 viewsjohncharles

Well done. I'm making an effort to walk to the pub that's half a mile away rather than the one round the corner.
Gyms lead to brain atrophy and a complete loss of dress sense
[Post edited 7 Dec 2014 19:36]

Strong and stable my arse.

Keeping Fit on 19:36 - Dec 7 with 3351 viewsWatford_Ranger

Swimming is excellent for the very unfit in my experience.
Keeping Fit on 20:06 - Dec 7 with 3298 viewsozexile

Well done. Weight loss in my opinion is 85% diet 15% exercise. That doesn't mean give up the exercise if you lose the weight. Think of the benefits exercise gives your whole body. Cardiovascular improvements, strength, flexibilty. Bone strength etc.
Keeping Fit on 20:13 - Dec 7 with 3285 viewsOakR

Keeping Fit on 20:06 - Dec 7 by ozexile

Well done. Weight loss in my opinion is 85% diet 15% exercise. That doesn't mean give up the exercise if you lose the weight. Think of the benefits exercise gives your whole body. Cardiovascular improvements, strength, flexibilty. Bone strength etc.

This sounds about right. Exercise will get you fit, but eating better is what will lose the weight (to trim the fat anyway).

Personally I have to do both in conjunction and am just starting myself tomorrow.

Good luck!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Keeping Fit on 20:18 - Dec 7 with 3267 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well done, Dictator. Cut out the carbos.We eat faaaar to much carbos. Figure out a few treats you like eg a nice juice drink, nuts, and have them when you deserve a treat. Do a few old-fashioned exercises at home instead of in the gym - push-ups, sit-ups with an ab-cruncher, squats - as muscle burns carbos, and the weight will fall off.

Keep reminding yourself how much better you look and feel, and enjoy it!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Keeping Fit on 20:30 - Dec 7 with 3230 viewsloftboy

Yep definitely the eating healthy. The gym helps as well but I wouldn't have lost nearly as much as I have without changing my outlook on food, currently on 34 kilos loss since June.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Keeping Fit on 20:36 - Dec 7 with 3214 viewsozexile

Keeping Fit on 20:13 - Dec 7 by OakR

This sounds about right. Exercise will get you fit, but eating better is what will lose the weight (to trim the fat anyway).

Personally I have to do both in conjunction and am just starting myself tomorrow.

Good luck!

Unfortunately the weight loss industry has hijacked and confused most of the general public about the exercise industry. I run a fitness business and 99% of my clients want to lose weight. Yet when I say that I cannot guarantee there'll lose weight but I can guarantee they'll be healthier and stronger they look at me blankly.
Keeping Fit on 21:04 - Dec 7 with 3177 viewsWokingR

There is a whole industry out there trying to over complicate what is a very basic equation.
Reduce input or increase output or preferably a combination of both
Even the smallest change will help so start gently and good luck
Keeping Fit on 21:58 - Dec 7 with 3105 viewsbaz_qpr

Exercise will make you healthier and live longer, however only Diet will lose weight. I'd recommend using a calorie counter app and if you can keep it up you will soon see it fall off.

Think there was some Jaques Perreti doc on TV earlier this year highlighting the myth that has been peddled by the fitness industry that exercise = weightloss, for the majority it won't you need to be doing a couple hours intensive a day
Keeping Fit on 22:01 - Dec 7 with 3100 viewsozexile

Keeping Fit on 21:04 - Dec 7 by WokingR

There is a whole industry out there trying to over complicate what is a very basic equation.
Reduce input or increase output or preferably a combination of both
Even the smallest change will help so start gently and good luck

So true. It is the simplest equation. Yet peoples desire for a short cut has led to confusion.
Keeping Fit on 22:15 - Dec 7 with 3080 viewsBklynRanger

Best of luck with it Exciled.

I haven't been in a gym in years. Ok I'm a stone overweight but that's not the fault of my training regimen, that's the fault of my drinking regimen.

Instead of the gym I've spent the last few years doing exercise videos and running. If you start doing a lot of running a good stretch is definitely in order. I know yoga has its negative connotations but it's the best thing for stretching and one of the best things for relaxation. This link below has three videos which could keep you occupied for months - it's at a good pace and does do a nice combination of strength and stretching.

Keeping Fit on 05:57 - Dec 8 with 2992 viewsade_qpr

A mate of mine is in the medical game and all those saying about diet are on the money. See if you can bump up the 10% a bit more ED and all the best with it.
All loft boys fault and the death of some one close recently has motivated me again and have cut out a lot of the sweets etc and back walking about a hour a day when not working and so far 6 kilo's in 5 weeks.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Keeping Fit on 06:04 - Dec 8 with 2985 viewsexiled_dictator

thanks for all your messages of support.
we are back from this morning's venture and i have made the following observations:

it is bloody cold first thing
the roads and pavements are cleaner than i remember
must buy some gloves
need more choice of music to listen to
wireless decent headphones would be nice
plenty of people just going home at 5 in the morning

it's true about the food
i have a convenience food shop where i find myself always picking on nuts, crisps or other junk throughout the day. this must stop.
then i also have the restaurant.
i do not send out any food without checking on it's taste & quality.
so by the end of the shift, i may have already consumed 3 meals just in very small tasters.
it is true about the bread, and having a middle eastern style restaurant inevitably involves making fresh bread. and it is definitely a weakness of mine, along with spicy potatoes.
so both of those are off the menu for the foreseeable future.
more fruit
less fried.

i shall do my best to keep going, as i reckon i won't reach 50 if i continue this lifestyle.

oh yeah, it is bloody cold first thing.

Keeping Fit on 08:14 - Dec 8 with 2915 viewshailshamhoop

Cycling is a great cardio exercise, got back on a bike a couple of years ago now do about 80-100 miles a week.
Good luck with the weight loss.
Keeping Fit on 10:33 - Dec 8 with 2850 viewsblacky200

You need to do both diet and exercise and you will also need to mix up your exercise routine. The body gets used to exercise after about 3 months and you will see your weight loss start to taper off (this is usually the point people lose heart and give up).
Also putting in one hour a day is hard to maintain. I tend to do longer workouts during the summer weekdays than winter weekdays. I also find a quick session at high tempo works well and is easier to fit into a lifestyle. I use a cross trainer at home and do a 5 minute warm up, 15 minutes high intensity, 5 minutes cool down and then stretching.
Keep it up and you will notice a massive improvement in your health and energy levels.
Keeping Fit on 12:43 - Dec 8 with 2807 viewsTrance_Trousers

Do what i did, and get an allotment. Never been into exercising be it running, cycling or star jumps. But i have never been into eating crap food also. So with the balance of exercise and fresh air along with free year round produce it`s a win win for me. Shame i can`t grow a Fosters tree.

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

Keeping Fit on 13:27 - Dec 8 with 2776 viewsessextaxiboy

Try the 5-2 diet , track the calories on My Fitness pal app and earn even more calories following the Couch to 5k podcast course free to download . Schedule the whole thing around your lifestyle

Dont exercise on a fasting day, dont schedule a fasting day for a matchday .
Keeping Fit on 13:56 - Dec 8 with 2747 viewsDANRANGER

Make sure you drink lots of water!!! good luck.
Keeping Fit on 14:34 - Dec 8 with 2712 viewsrunningman75

I was a smoker, could not run. I decided to do a 10K for charity took me about 6 months to get up to that distance. The NHS are now doing a couch to 5K program. I have lost about 2 to 3 stone in weight. I would not go to a gym as they are rip offs.
Keeping Fit on 16:35 - Dec 8 with 2649 viewshovehoop

Keeping Fit on 06:04 - Dec 8 by exiled_dictator

we are back from this morning's venture and i have made the following observations:

must buy some gloves

it's true about the food
i have a convenience food shop where i find myself always picking on nuts, crisps or other junk throughout the day. this must stop.
so by the end of the shift, i may have already consumed 3 meals just in very small tasters.
it is true about the bread, and having a middle eastern style restaurant inevitably involves making fresh bread. and it is definitely a weakness of mine, along with spicy potatoes.
more fruit
less fried.

i shall do my best to keep going, as i reckon i won't reach 50 if i continue this lifestyle.

Good for you. Unfortunately, a lot of people get to this point from a health scare and decide or they have no choice but to do something about it. I've always felt carbohydrate storage is a big problem and bread and beer in particular. Plus, the daily target of 2.5k calories for all men is illogical. This number has no regard to body size, metabolism and if we actually work enough each day to burn off the excess. Right now, I'm 6 months into a prolapsed disc injury and the inactivity and a moderately sensible diet has translated into 1.5 stone weight gain. So when I'm able to resume exercising I'm assuming the weight will get down to sensible levels.

I don't know about your previous exercise regime though if you're starting at zero say then your idea of an hour walk say 4 or 5 times a week for a month say is a great place to start. I've seen so many reach a point when they decide to draw a line and subject their bodies to a physical onslaught only to find they fall to injury or illness or both. And predictably the new regime doesn't last long enough to soil the new trainers! Whereas, if you continue doing what you're doing and start each day with a fast ish long walk you will strengthen muscles and connective tissue and your heart and lung fitness will improve too. 3 miles 5 times a week is 60 miles a month you wouldn't otherwise have done. Do that for 2 or 3 months and maybe throw in some swimming and you'll be building a great aerobic base and a foundation for bigger efforts like jogging say. You can also mix this up with some weight bearing work. Muscles burn a lot of calories and big muscles in particular. So something like squats is a good thing to add to your regime. Though do them without weight first until you have mastered correct form. It's not that easy to nail the technique and squat with knees behind the toe line. I used to coach athletics and take part in triathlons and many running races. I'm hoping to get back when over the back injury.
Keeping Fit on 18:27 - Dec 8 with 2593 viewsAgedR

Keeping Fit on 06:04 - Dec 8 by exiled_dictator

must buy some gloves

it's true about the food
more fruit
less fried.

Well done indeed!

My wife does the 5/2, which, combined with regular exercise, has made her feel much healthier.

Beer is my vice, but, I do around 15 miles a week running in the mornings, which keeps the weight under control.

However, the enduring feeling I have from reading this post from you is, where is your resteraunt, it sounds fantastic?

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Keeping Fit on 19:12 - Dec 8 with 2561 viewsFredManRave

Keeping Fit on 20:30 - Dec 7 by loftboy

Yep definitely the eating healthy. The gym helps as well but I wouldn't have lost nearly as much as I have without changing my outlook on food, currently on 34 kilos loss since June.

That must be about the same as losing Zola Budd.

As for keeping fit: Play Squash.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2014 19:12]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Keeping Fit on 19:34 - Dec 8 with 2538 viewsexiled_dictator

thanks for all your kind supportive words.
just to clear some things up:
i cannot ride a bike, never have.
i hate swimming anywhere.
i don't drink or smoke.
i have never exercised before in my life.
i will continue with my daily regime.
i am doing this for nobody but myself.
the last few months i have felt slow and heavy, so really needed to change my evil ways.
i have the mentality to do this every day indefinitely.
i turned 40 this year, and just want to feel better within myself.
a 1 hour walk every day is enough - i do some slower and faster walking and believe this will help me achieve my goal.

i will post updates as i go.

oh, no bread or potatoes now for 4 days. longest ever without.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024