Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday 10:31 - Feb 5 with 7189 viewsbosh67

How about

There's Only one Clarke Carlisle

sung by us all at the ground on saturday on 5 minutes!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:51 - Feb 5 with 2451 viewsSaycey

And might I add the best way to help those with mental health issues is not to chant their name, but to have a sensible open discussion about the problems. Stigma can contribute to the feelings of worthlessness which lead some people to harming themselves and others.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 12:52]
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:56 - Feb 5 with 2432 viewseccles

This sort of thing is creeping into the game more and more. A minutes silence for this, a minutes applause for that. It seems that every week some team somewhere are wearing black armbands. (and of course there's joey and his laces!)
I have no angst against CC and wish him all the best in his recovery, but if we keep accommodating every cause, it dilutes the importance of the things we should all remember like rememberance day every November.
Good luck Clarke but its a no for me
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:12 - Feb 5 with 2394 viewssimmo

He wife has apologised on his behalf through her Twitter, which is his source of direct communication

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:13 - Feb 5 with 2389 viewssimmo

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:56 - Feb 5 by eccles

This sort of thing is creeping into the game more and more. A minutes silence for this, a minutes applause for that. It seems that every week some team somewhere are wearing black armbands. (and of course there's joey and his laces!)
I have no angst against CC and wish him all the best in his recovery, but if we keep accommodating every cause, it dilutes the importance of the things we should all remember like rememberance day every November.
Good luck Clarke but its a no for me

This.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:15 - Feb 5 with 2384 viewsBrightonhoop

I was reading about Dave Clement last night and thinking about the prospects of Paul C being Manager and I guess Dave would be extremely proud of his boys. He must have been so low to take his own life, you can only imagine the impact on family, especially his children. So I am glad CC didn't succeed.

His situation is compounded by addiction. I hope he can turn it around.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 18:51 - Feb 5 with 2262 viewssmegma

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:01 - Feb 5 by QPunkR

Honest question here - has Carlisle publicly apologised to the lorry driver in any of his interviews?

According to the mirror online his wife has said " Clark is desperately sorry for the lorry driver and wants to apologise to him in person" . Is that good enough or do people want to him to go over the edge. I feel really sorry for the lorry driver. I also feel sorry for Clark. Until you've walked in his shoes you will never know.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 20:07 - Feb 5 with 2221 viewsqprewan

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:43 - Feb 5 by A40Bosh

Dane, no your not, and I get where you are coming from.

However, if people accept that whilst he is by no means an angel, he is a complex character, who because of the life and luxuries his profession afforded him, has had a more high profile and public fall from grace due to a combination of his personality and his mental health issues. There are thousands of CC out there, if not 10s of thousands, all falling under the radar and all let down by a health service which is not geared up to cope with mental health patients and their issues because it would mean aircraft hanger sized mental health wards full to the brim of adults, adolescents and children affected by what is still largely a socially taboo illness.

He is one of the many who need help and as importantly need to help themselves through acceptance of their underlying problems.

If CC were to hear a section of a crowd chanting his name, then all that will do is show him that people do care and want to support him. It is often those little gestures that people with mental health issues need to remind that that they are not a completely worthless piece of crap who is better off dead rather than be a drain on all those around them and society.

Supporting the guy is supporting more than CC, it is supporting mental health awareness and not jut writing off a spoilt ex-player who could not handle his large paychecks and blew the lot.

Very good post; totally agree
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 20:34 - Feb 5 with 2197 viewscoolranger

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 20:07 - Feb 5 by qprewan

Very good post; totally agree

The whole area of 'mental health' is complex and largely misunderstood. The subject has been taboo for decades, so therefore not openly discussed - Winston Churchill was a high profile example of a depressive character. There are many sufferers you will never know, but whom are well known people in the public eye. It is something most people find uncomfortable to discuss. So it remains a dark, shadowy world - and yet as many as 30% of us suffer from depression to varying degrees.

Clarke was a good footballer and one of our own. A Ranger. He is also an intelligent, articulate man with much to offer the game in some capacity, and the world in general. He needs, and I hope he is getting, the very best professional help and support.

He is not to be judged, but to be supported. He seems like a genuinely 'good guy', notwithstanding his difficulties, and I'm sure all of us really hope he is able to turn things around.

I think if our fans want to show their support for Clarke, then they should give him a huge chant of support. I believe the vast majority of our fans like him, remember him well and would like to support him during a difficult time - the club might even wish to consider how such a talented guy could be used within the evolving structure at the club.

He is smart. He is a Ranger. He is one of ours.

Support Clarke!!
Login to get fewer ads

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:03 - Feb 6 with 2130 viewsTearsOfaClown

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:55 - Feb 5 by SpiritofGregory

No he has had enough chances. Ever though that all the mollycoddling and wrapping him up in cotton wool (QPR/Northampton/FA/BBC) is actually doing him and others more harm?

I commend Ralf Little for his straight talking Twitter posts.

'Straight Talking" - oh yes - like "Clarke you need to just snap out of this, you've had enough chances."

I can see it must be so easy to solve mental health issues with this approach.

And if he had broken a leg, same thing . . . "sorry, you have had enough chances and medical care, Jog On."

Compassion . . . Humanity . . . where did that go?

Depression is a horrendous experience - the mind sees pure logic in self harm, that is why it happens. A broken leg is easy to mend. But not so a broken mind.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:55 - Feb 6 with 2104 viewsQPunkR

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 18:51 - Feb 5 by smegma

According to the mirror online his wife has said " Clark is desperately sorry for the lorry driver and wants to apologise to him in person" . Is that good enough or do people want to him to go over the edge. I feel really sorry for the lorry driver. I also feel sorry for Clark. Until you've walked in his shoes you will never know.

No, that's fair enough. I just asked the question. So he hasn't apologised but would like to. Fairy snuff.

QPR - "shit but local"

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:03 - Feb 6 with 2094 viewskensalriser

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:55 - Feb 6 by QPunkR

No, that's fair enough. I just asked the question. So he hasn't apologised but would like to. Fairy snuff.

There was a quote from his wife in last night's printed Standard saying that he had apologised personally to the lorry driver.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:07 - Feb 6 with 2084 viewsQPunkR

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:03 - Feb 6 by kensalriser

There was a quote from his wife in last night's printed Standard saying that he had apologised personally to the lorry driver.

Good good, hopefully everyone involved is better soon

QPR - "shit but local"

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:52 - Feb 6 with 2053 viewsGloryHunter

I'd like Clarke Carlisle to hold a year's silence on behalf of everyone else. I am sick of hearing him.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:58 - Feb 6 with 2042 viewsR_from_afar

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 12:01 - Feb 5 by QPunkR

Honest question here - has Carlisle publicly apologised to the lorry driver in any of his interviews?

Not sure but having been involved in a similar but slightly less serious situation than this, I can tell you it is harrowing. I was a passenger in a car which hit a drunk geezer who'd had an argument with his girlfriend - after ten pints at a lock-in - and then decided to make a point by hurling himself in front of our car.

He survived, thank God, but it was horrific seeing a body bounce off the windscreen inches from your face. We tried to help the guy and called an ambulance, as the street filled up with locals who had heard the commotion - it was 2.30am - but he refused to go to hospital. Horrendous.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:45 - Feb 6 with 2014 viewsA40Bosh

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:03 - Feb 6 by TearsOfaClown

'Straight Talking" - oh yes - like "Clarke you need to just snap out of this, you've had enough chances."

I can see it must be so easy to solve mental health issues with this approach.

And if he had broken a leg, same thing . . . "sorry, you have had enough chances and medical care, Jog On."

Compassion . . . Humanity . . . where did that go?

Depression is a horrendous experience - the mind sees pure logic in self harm, that is why it happens. A broken leg is easy to mend. But not so a broken mind.

Tears,

Love your analogy about the broken leg. Perfect.
It's the same one my 16yr old girl gives her granddad every time he tries to give her a pep talk about pulling herself together and to stop wasting her young years in depression. Why he still thinks he knows better than a whole heap of medical professionals who have diagnosed her with severe depression and anxiety when he has been there himself I don't know.

Depression is not a case of just pulling yourself together. I have watched the world's most beautiful, confident, articulate young lady wilt into a shriveled wreck who has not been to school in exactly a year today, who spends half the time wanting to be by herself, locked in another room rotting away.

If talking about CC in the media helps raise more awareness of mental illness in this country and leads to an increase in the NHS budget so that families are not waiting weeks if not months on waiting lists and having to bully our way into appointments, then that is going to be a good thing.

My daughter's biggest fear is that we too will get fed up with her, and will have had enough of her and not want to listen about her and kick her out.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:57 - Feb 6 with 1962 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 10:45 - Feb 5 by SpiritofGregory

We need to support the team 100% on Saturday nevermind Clarke Carlisle.

Typical generosity of spirit I see SOG
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 14:01 - Feb 6 with 1956 viewsTheBlob

Oh great,I got depression - does this mean I've got to head-butt a couple of juggernauts to get a bit of attention?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 14:07 - Feb 6 with 1944 viewspomanjou

There is a time and a place for everything. Tomorrow is Les Ferdinand's Prostate Cancer Awareness Day. This disease will eventually affect thousands of people who are at Loftus Road tomorrow. You don't have to be one of them. If you are over 40 go to your GP and have a PSA test. Catch it early and miss out on the downsides.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 16:04 - Feb 6 with 1895 viewsHollowayRanger

his book is very good and id recommend anyone to read it

you dont know me, but....a footballers life

lots of QPR ,his great times but also his mistakes the power of drink gambling his first sucide attempt his drink driving ban reading it if i didnt know better then i would think this had just been written as he is going down the same tragic road

he is so lucky to have a good woman in his corner and he has to find a way out of this without topping himself ,i cant feel sorry for him he has (and admits) to having a life better then most of us could only dream of

he's just lost his itv job been caught drink driving and survive another sucicde attempt its going to be a hell of a long road back to recovery and its down to him to make it

very pleased his wife is supporting him and remembered the other victim in all this the lorry driver

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 16:37 - Feb 6 with 1872 viewsPunteR

I think Clarke Carlisle should stay out of the limelight for a while.
I wish all the best to the poor bloke.
Desperate times for his family and friends.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 18:13 - Feb 6 with 1842 viewsTW_R

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 11:55 - Feb 5 by SpiritofGregory

No he has had enough chances. Ever though that all the mollycoddling and wrapping him up in cotton wool (QPR/Northampton/FA/BBC) is actually doing him and others more harm?

I commend Ralf Little for his straight talking Twitter posts.

"No he has had enough chances."

WTF does that mean. How many "chances" should someone with mental health issues get then?
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 18:16 - Feb 6 with 1840 viewsTW_R

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:45 - Feb 6 by A40Bosh

Tears,

It's the same one my 16yr old girl gives her granddad every time he tries to give her a pep talk about pulling herself together and to stop wasting her young years in depression. Why he still thinks he knows better than a whole heap of medical professionals who have diagnosed her with severe depression and anxiety when he has been there himself I don't know.

Depression is not a case of just pulling yourself together. I have watched the world's most beautiful, confident, articulate young lady wilt into a shriveled wreck who has not been to school in exactly a year today, who spends half the time wanting to be by herself, locked in another room rotting away.

If talking about CC in the media helps raise more awareness of mental illness in this country and leads to an increase in the NHS budget so that families are not waiting weeks if not months on waiting lists and having to bully our way into appointments, then that is going to be a good thing.

My daughter's biggest fear is that we too will get fed up with her, and will have had enough of her and not want to listen about her and kick her out.

Bosh - Great post. Just reading that has me really choked up. I really feel for what your daughter and family have been going through.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 19:35 - Feb 6 with 1793 viewsHollowayRanger

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 16:37 - Feb 6 by PunteR

I think Clarke Carlisle should stay out of the limelight for a while.
I wish all the best to the poor bloke.
Desperate times for his family and friends.

problem is the limelight ie tv papers radio is his only way of earning money

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 19:55 - Feb 6 with 1774 viewsvodkasupper

How about those that want to sing just sing, those that don't, don't. I'm probably going to text/tweet the radio station and show my personal support.

Not wanting to turn this thread into being all about mental health my wife suffers with bipolar and whilst I'd never understand how she feels I have some appreciation of how difficult it can be.

This is not something we should be disagreeing over.
Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 20:36 - Feb 6 with 1747 viewsTearsOfaClown

Clarke Carlisle - commentating on Absolute Radio/Saturday on 13:45 - Feb 6 by A40Bosh

Tears,

Thank you for your kind reply and I guess the problem is that mental illness has been derided for way to long . . .and yet it is still seen as a weakness rather than a medical condition in need of professional help.

A year ago I had was in that deep black hole of depression when no light seems to reach. My mind seemed very focused, very balanced and totally in a logical process that had concluded that I had failed and was totally worthless and killing myself was the sensible thing to do.

I guess if you have never been there then the answer is easy. But we are blessed with such wonderful, complex brains that when they aren't working as they should they can lead you to such a decision.

I was vey fortunate to have a good doctor (it was my first time seeing her) who immediately sorted some medication and set up some counselling - so for me the NHS was brilliant.

I am 59 and would describe myself as confident, outgoing person of no great ability and yet some successes . . .and for a Secondary Mod. School education feel proud of what I have done.

But when you have the Black Dog of depression at your heels - you really feel worthless and a problem. I have been very lucky. I didn't do what CC did.

I have decided to be more open about depression, willing to let more people know. My family have been fantastic.

We need to talk as openly about mental illness as we do about other illnesses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024