Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jonah 00:58 - Mar 22 with 9347 viewsFrog

I've only seen him on FLS show highlights but he never seems to be involved in anything positive, just running about and seemingly off the pace. Sad to say, but glad he's not a Dale player this season.
Jonah on 09:43 - Mar 22 with 3906 viewsaleanddale

Dale legend...

Could do a good job for county next season if they are 4th tier.

Agree though as sad as his departure from Spotland was ( for me anyway ) his best league 1 days are definitely behind him.
Jonah on 12:31 - Mar 22 with 3694 views14bowlers

went to notts last tuesday , and Dawson had Jonah in his pocket all night. Sad to see the demise of arguably the best player dale have ever had
Jonah on 12:58 - Mar 22 with 3633 viewsShun

Jonah on 12:31 - Mar 22 by 14bowlers

went to notts last tuesday , and Dawson had Jonah in his pocket all night. Sad to see the demise of arguably the best player dale have ever had

Best ever player? I don't wish to start a new Jones debate but he wouldn't even make it into my all-time Dale 25!
Jonah on 13:08 - Mar 22 with 3609 viewsaleanddale

Jonah on 12:58 - Mar 22 by Shun

Best ever player? I don't wish to start a new Jones debate but he wouldn't even make it into my all-time Dale 25!

With his longevity and what he gave the club.. In his best years he is still and I suspect always will be one of my favourite ever players!.

Hendo 5 more season might beat him though!!!!
Jonah on 13:30 - Mar 22 with 3573 viewsEllGazzell

Jonah on 12:31 - Mar 22 by 14bowlers

If the goals were at the side of the pitch then yeah, "the crab" would have been right up there.

I personally never fell for his fist pumping and badge kissing - he was a hard working sideways player who could take a penalty.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Jonah on 13:35 - Mar 22 with 3556 viewsD_Alien

Jonah consistently drove the team forward - even when the other ten players didn't feel inclined - for season after season after f*cking season.

That's what he did for the club. And he showed his ability throughout 2010/11 plus a bagful of goals without which we'd have struggled. That's what he did for Dale

That's why he's a legend

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jonah on 13:44 - Mar 22 with 3521 viewsTVOS1907

Jonah on 13:35 - Mar 22 by D_Alien

Jonah consistently drove the team forward - even when the other ten players didn't feel inclined - for season after season after f*cking season.

That's what he did for the club. And he showed his ability throughout 2010/11 plus a bagful of goals without which we'd have struggled. That's what he did for Dale

That's why he's a legend

Spot on.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jonah on 13:46 - Mar 22 with 3520 viewsKenBoon

Sad to see the demise of arguably the best player dale have ever had
It's called getting old. It happens to us all.

There's always been folk who'll grasp any opportunity to have a dig at Jones. He was supposedly done when Hilly wouldn't renew his contract. When Eyre did the amazing Tutte was supposedly the future and Coleman certainly wasn't an issue in Jones dip in form. When he finally left - past it again - he went on to Captain Bratfut to Promotion and the League Cup Final, with victories against Arsenal along the way.

Hindsight tells us that he certainly wasn't past it when Hill wanted to release him or when Coleman released him. For a Crab I lost count of the times he would put the reducers on the opposition with strong but fair challenges, his drives forward, his defending and all those important Goals.

The guy is a Dale legend on the Pitch and has proved over and over is a Man who deserves respect for what he does for others off it, but feel free to finally be proved right by saying a Footballer who is nearly 38 and has played around 700 games is finally past it.
Login to get fewer ads

Jonah on 13:54 - Mar 22 with 3481 viewsEllGazzell

That's why he's a legend

Drove the team on season after season?

I was on the terraces home and away in them days and I was very vocal, supportive and gave non stop encouragement.

The prior appraisal of Gary "crab" Jones applied to me makes me a legend also.

Jonah on 14:03 - Mar 22 with 3458 views442Dale

You lot are playing at this. Someone give TS a shout and we'll show you how it's done.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Jonah on 14:22 - Mar 22 with 3403 viewsnordenblue

That's why he's a legend

At the time he was let go i was fully behind the decision, regardless of this your post is spot on DA regarding Jonah being a legend,his effort and workrate alone over the time he was here was nothing short of phenomenal.
Jonah on 15:19 - Mar 22 with 3326 viewsD_Alien

Jonah on 13:54 - Mar 22 by EllGazzell

Drove the team on season after season?

I was on the terraces home and away in them days and I was very vocal, supportive and gave non stop encouragement.

The prior appraisal of Gary "crab" Jones applied to me makes me a legend also.

Let's just say he did it without needing your encouragement, or your crabby appraisal

Jonah on 15:28 - Mar 22 with 3304 views_dezzy

This is what I love about this message board, If you don't agree with the majority, your opinion is wrong

KHBA

Jonah on 18:56 - Mar 22 with 3094 viewsD_Alien

Jonah on 15:28 - Mar 22 by _dezzy

This is what I love about this message board, If you don't agree with the majority, your opinion is wrong

Absolute rubbish. In fact, worse than rubbish - a travesty of what debate is about.

If someone wants to voice a contrary opinion, let them. Do you seek to deny those who'd reply to that opinion a voice?

That's what makes for the very lifeblood of this, and any other, forum.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 19:00]

Jonah on 19:30 - Mar 22 with 3028 viewsWhiteyBFC

One of the most bang average midfielders - talent wise - I've ever seen play for Barnsley. But a proper grafter, and seemed a genuine bloke off the pitch. Will always remember his 35 yard missile at Fratton Park that rattled the bar, one of the most vicious strikes I've ever seen, they probably heard the noise in Southampton. Same game he was absolutely terrorized by the best player I've ever seen play against my club - Robert Prosinecki. And I've been lucky enough to see Bergkamp, Zola, Scholes, Kilnsmann and Earl Barrett (LOL) against us. But aye, Prosinecki was just unplayable. Couldn't get near him. Like a consistent Paddy McCourt on a good day. He scored a hat-trick, and I was genuinely gutted at full time that I had to stop watching a genius at work. Even though we'd equalized in injury time and drew 4-4. Same genius had already left me in awe earlier in the season when he ruled the show with Pompey beating us 4-1.

Gary Jones was bang average for us. Not as bad as some will tell you though. Typical lower league star but not enough talent to perform higher up the pyramid. Whereas, and I hate saying this, Stephen Dawson had far more talent for us, and was a better player for BFC in the second tier. I'd take him over Jones even in their respective pomps.
Jonah on 19:54 - Mar 22 with 2985 viewsEllGazzell

Jonah on 15:19 - Mar 22 by D_Alien

Let's just say he did it without needing your encouragement, or your crabby appraisal

D Alien, it was your appraisal and criteria used to argue Jones' "legend" status I was referring to and applying it to myself.

I thought he deceived (not deliberately/actively) alot of people with fist pumping, badge kissing and running around. His end product was nearly always a sideways/square ball to either fullback, hence the moniker "crab".

There were enough people around in them days who also saw him as a crab, not just myself.

Jonah on 20:07 - Mar 22 with 2956 viewsD_Alien

Jonah on 19:54 - Mar 22 by EllGazzell

D Alien, it was your appraisal and criteria used to argue Jones' "legend" status I was referring to and applying it to myself.

I thought he deceived (not deliberately/actively) alot of people with fist pumping, badge kissing and running around. His end product was nearly always a sideways/square ball to either fullback, hence the moniker "crab".

There were enough people around in them days who also saw him as a crab, not just myself.

Haven't got a problem with that, and there must've been games when I wondered what the fuss was about too.

I always thought the crab moniker was due to his running style! Playing balls sideways is something our current team do an awful lot of, so not sure it's such a bad thing in the right context.

What I'll remember is his coruscating run out of defence with the ball at St.Mary's - no sideways movement involved - and perfect pass for COG to put us one up just before half time. Then, the utter carnage he inflicted on the Saints net with his 25-yard missile, second half. Not much sideways movement there, either.

When it mattered, he did it. And then he kissed the badge.

[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 20:09]

Jonah on 20:24 - Mar 22 with 2910 viewskiwidale

"What I'll remember is his coruscating run out of defence"

Ref Ref he's just made that word up
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 20:27]

This is not the time for bickering.

Jonah on 20:25 - Mar 22 with 2908 viewsEllGazzell

Jonah on 20:07 - Mar 22 by D_Alien

Haven't got a problem with that, and there must've been games when I wondered what the fuss was about too.

I always thought the crab moniker was due to his running style! Playing balls sideways is something our current team do an awful lot of, so not sure it's such a bad thing in the right context.

What I'll remember is his coruscating run out of defence with the ball at St.Mary's - no sideways movement involved - and perfect pass for COG to put us one up just before half time. Then, the utter carnage he inflicted on the Saints net with his 25-yard missile, second half. Not much sideways movement there, either.

When it mattered, he did it. And then he kissed the badge.

[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 20:09]

LMAO@ his running style, I forgot about that, maybe it was Michael Oliver's "here's my head my arse is coming" running style that dominates my memories of that era.

I'd agree he put in some good shifts for Dale, and scored some good goals, but I just think he was not "legend" material.

edited out the reference to a TV chef :)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 20:32]

Jonah on 20:45 - Mar 22 with 2860 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Gary Jones was a lower league Steven Gerard for us, drive, box to box, got goals, tackled and led the side.

A Legend in every way!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Jonah on 20:47 - Mar 22 with 2853 viewsnordenblue

Jonah on 20:25 - Mar 22 by EllGazzell

LMAO@ his running style, I forgot about that, maybe it was Michael Oliver's "here's my head my arse is coming" running style that dominates my memories of that era.

I'd agree he put in some good shifts for Dale, and scored some good goals, but I just think he was not "legend" material.

edited out the reference to a TV chef :)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 20:32]

Who would you put in the "legend" category from the last 20 odd years?
Jonah on 20:54 - Mar 22 with 2832 viewsTVOS1907

Jonah on 18:56 - Mar 22 by D_Alien

Absolute rubbish. In fact, worse than rubbish - a travesty of what debate is about.

If someone wants to voice a contrary opinion, let them. Do you seek to deny those who'd reply to that opinion a voice?

That's what makes for the very lifeblood of this, and any other, forum.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 19:00]

Spot on again.

Why are some unable to understand the difference between 'having a different opinion' and 'not being allowed an opinion'?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jonah on 21:02 - Mar 22 with 2808 viewsEllGazzell

Jonah on 20:47 - Mar 22 by nordenblue

Who would you put in the "legend" category from the last 20 odd years?

For Dale? I'm not sure there would be anyone really who would be good enough to attain legend status. Hence them playing at Rochdale.

I mean if we are looking at quality, then in my time *watching then I would place Grant Holt as being up there in terms of totally unplayable (from the opposition's perspective) up front, I'll have to think about the others...

* I've not seen games regularly since moving away 8/9 years ago.

Jonah on 21:04 - Mar 22 with 2800 viewscupardale

"Number 1 is Gary Jones, number 2 is Gary Jones. ..." etc etc. Of course he's a bloody legend. I think some people on here just have contrary opinions to wind other people up and to provoke UNNECESSARY conflict. We can all debate his level of skill and limitations, which he undoubtedly had, but he will always be in my all time Dale 11. As Captain.
Jonah on 21:06 - Mar 22 with 2790 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Jonah on 19:54 - Mar 22 by EllGazzell

A number of managers must have fallen for the badge kissing too!

First half of his Dale career was driving the team forward, second part was more about retaining possession.

Interestingly enough at Bradford he took all the set plays, something he rarely did at Dale.

Fab lower division player and a Dale leg8nd without doubt.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024