Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Smithies 14:42 - Aug 20 with 6446 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Sounds all but done. Chris Powell said it should be completed today, and Twitter rumours saying he is taking pictures on the pitch now

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Alex Smithies on 14:43 - Aug 20 with 5113 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I've just got a tad confused: is he the one we want or not, or was the Southend lad the better option?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Alex Smithies on 14:47 - Aug 20 with 5047 viewsTheBlob

What the hell,not as good as Bentley but better than Ikeme.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Alex Smithies on 14:59 - Aug 20 with 4881 viewssimmo

Alex Smithies on 14:47 - Aug 20 by TheBlob

What the hell,not as good as Bentley but better than Ikeme.

I think Bentley has the potential to be better, but Smithies is far far more proven at this level and whenever I have seen him (twice live) he has been really good. If this is official, I will be really pleased.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex Smithies on 16:16 - Aug 20 with 4555 viewsBostonR

A work colleague is a die-hard Terriers fan and rates him highly. They must have a good replacement in mind.
Alex Smithies on 16:47 - Aug 20 with 4400 viewsaston_hoop

Official Now

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/alex-smithies-joins-qpr-huddersfield-town-tran

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Alex Smithies on 16:58 - Aug 20 with 4310 viewsWestbourneR

It's clear we need a keeper asap because Green is off and Lumley is all we've got afrer that.

That said..

I prefer the look of Bentley

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Alex Smithies on 17:02 - Aug 20 with 4261 viewsJigsore

played well over 250 games for Hudders and still only 25 which is pretty impressive, perhaps slightly less of a risk than Bentley whom Phil Brown was being a d*ck over anyway

i'd be happier knowing his distribution is better than Greeno's

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Alex Smithies on 17:05 - Aug 20 with 4222 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Alex Smithies on 16:58 - Aug 20 by WestbourneR

It's clear we need a keeper asap because Green is off and Lumley is all we've got afrer that.

That said..

I prefer the look of Bentley

I suspect we might try and wing it with an emergency loan. I can't see us doing the old Caeser/Green thing of having two potential number one keepers.

If Green does go and, seeing as some have pointed to inconsistencies in his performances, I'll say this for him, his display at Wembley on 24 May 2014 was superb. I understand he played with a broken finger as well.

Good luck to him. Thought he handled himself with some dignity during the darker days under Hughesless.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Alex Smithies on 17:08 - Aug 20 with 4194 viewsFDC

Alex Smithies on 17:02 - Aug 20 by Jigsore

played well over 250 games for Hudders and still only 25 which is pretty impressive, perhaps slightly less of a risk than Bentley whom Phil Brown was being a d*ck over anyway

i'd be happier knowing his distribution is better than Greeno's

Yeah his experience is kind of incredible for such a young keeper. Can't say I know much about him but he was apparently their player of the year not so long ago, and got years and years left in him so potentially abother very decent signing.
Alex Smithies on 17:20 - Aug 20 with 4092 viewssimmo

Well happy with this - a few yars ago I would have picked McCarthy and Smithies as my 2 long term GK choices - one happened but didn't quite work out, so I am pleased we have gone and got a proven, young and highly regarded GK from a league rival. Whether he's here to challenge/learn from Green this season and take over long term, or to replace big Rob - I am happy we have another solid signing making a step up with QPR.

If he wasn't injured a few years back he's have another 50+ appearances I reckon, last 2 seasons he played 95 odd games! POTY in their 1st Championship season.

Decent price too! Nice to see QPR buying potentially good players that cost closer to 2m than 10!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2015 17:42]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex Smithies on 17:44 - Aug 20 with 3957 viewsSimonJames

Am I missing something here?

A keeper for a side that conceded more goals (75) in the Championship than any other, except Blackpool (relegated), Millwall (relegated), and Foolham.

Meanwhile Middlesborough conceded less than half that number of goals (37) last season!

100% of people who drink water will die.

Alex Smithies on 17:52 - Aug 20 with 3917 viewsNorthernr

Alex Smithies on 17:44 - Aug 20 by SimonJames

A keeper for a side that conceded more goals (75) in the Championship than any other, except Blackpool (relegated), Millwall (relegated), and Foolham.

Meanwhile Middlesborough conceded less than half that number of goals (37) last season!

Green conceded far more than any other keeper in the league last season as well, doesn't make him a bad keeper. If there's a shambles in front of you what you gonna do?
Alex Smithies on 17:59 - Aug 20 with 3863 viewsElHoop

It's a shame if Green is going but i never really fancied McCarthy so if they've both gone and Smithies is the new man then I'd rather bet 'blind' on him than have chanced McCarthy for a whole season. Sir Les said that the goalkeeping coach rated Smithies so they've gone through some process here and we can but hope that they've got it right.
Alex Smithies on 17:59 - Aug 20 with 3859 viewsvegasranger

Wow high praise all round from our management. Ramsay " decent addition " Ferdinand " our new goalkeeping coach rates him as a very capable keeper " I hope he's better than this or will be rebuilding every bloody season !!
Alex Smithies on 18:21 - Aug 20 with 3793 viewsvegasranger

Just to add Crichton was his coach at Huddersfield before he moved onto to such wonderful clubs as Grimsby Town and Blackpool. Ramsay said " His experience in such a role will stand him in good stead for the job here ."
Alex Smithies on 18:42 - Aug 20 with 3694 viewsjohncharles

So....... will Greeno be "injured" on Saturday ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Alex Smithies on 18:43 - Aug 20 with 3693 viewsSimonJames

Alex Smithies on 17:52 - Aug 20 by Northernr

Green conceded far more than any other keeper in the league last season as well, doesn't make him a bad keeper. If there's a shambles in front of you what you gonna do?

It's a fair point. And I just checked the stats:
... in 137 Championship appearances he conceded 168 goals, which is 1.23 per game. Factored up over a season that would be a fairly respectable 56 goals conceded.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Alex Smithies on 18:59 - Aug 20 with 3621 viewsrsonist

I'd like to think Smithies has been underrated in his career because he's one of those set-and-forget keepers that does all the basics properly and you're not forced to notice him.
Alex Smithies on 19:33 - Aug 20 with 3507 viewsTheBlob

It begs the question that if he's any good he would have been snapped up before now(same applies to Bentley to a lesser degree)?I'm glad he hasn't because he looks reasonably competent although has a tendency to parry and spill the ball quite a bit.Owt's better than nowt(Ikeme).

Alex Smithies on 19:36 - Aug 20 with 3498 viewsWeaverQPR

according to moose on twitter Green offered contract by WHU

@WeavQPR

Alex Smithies on 20:14 - Aug 20 with 3382 viewspaulparker

Good signing
25 years old and his best years a head of him
Well done Rangers

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Alex Smithies on 20:19 - Aug 20 with 3355 viewsLBSRanger

Alex Smithies on 17:44 - Aug 20 by SimonJames

Charlie Austin...a striker that scored 18 and still got relegated..All is not what it seems Alex
Alex Smithies on 22:33 - Aug 20 with 3126 viewsganjR

Alex Smithies on 20:19 - Aug 20 by LBSRanger

Charlie Austin...a striker that scored 18 and still got relegated..All is not what it seems Alex

Quality signing, really happy with this. Town fans have bemoaned the defence for ages now, not Smithies.
Never wanted Green here, but will be gutted when he goes. Has been immense for us at times and a wonderful servant of the club. Should always get a great reception if / when he returns.
Alex Smithies on 23:02 - Aug 20 with 3053 viewsTheBlob

Darren Randolph?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3205366/West-Ham-target-QPR-go

Alex Smithies on 23:26 - Aug 20 with 2983 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Highly rated, young and proven at this level. This will do nicely.

And all for a reasonable fee and wage. Ferdinand is playing a blinder.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024