Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your local pub 19:46 - Jan 2 with 34190 viewsBlackCrowe

Not necessarily your favourite but your local. Describe.

Me? The Boaters Inn, Kingston. Good guest ales, great spot on the river. Excellent in Summer but lacks soul in Winter - lighting too bright, too much space given to non-existant diners. If I owned it, things would change.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Your local pub on 16:18 - Jan 3 with 4252 viewsAitch

Your local pub on 12:59 - Jan 3 by loftboy

The most local.pub to.me.at the moment is the William.Twigg, those of you from Bracknell will know it very well!! I usually drink.in the old manor in Bracknell,used fo be a berni inn but now.a.wetherspoons.

I used to drink in the Twigg but not for years now. Is it still as rough as well in there?

TPFKA Stans_Left_Foot

Your local pub on 16:24 - Jan 3 with 4247 viewsDorse

Your local pub on 16:18 - Jan 3 by Aitch

I used to drink in the Twigg but not for years now. Is it still as rough as well in there?

He got punched for asking.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your local pub on 17:20 - Jan 3 with 4155 viewsLadbrokeR

Your local pub on 16:24 - Jan 3 by Dorse

He got punched for asking.

It was the ground floor bar on portobello road sadly closed in October. I had been going there for over 30 years. I have started to use the KPH but it doesn't really feel the same. Pubs just seem to be closing down and making way for coffee shops, local supermarkets or luxury flats.
Your local pub on 17:39 - Jan 3 with 4133 viewsGroveR

I'm in Acton now so pretty lucky with pubs but originally from the Grove and like 18stone said, w10, w11 and w12 have all been hard hit. Personally used to drink in the Cowshed but that's gone (physically), as are the western, the percy, the KP and the Eagle (spiritually). Never liked the Elgin so made do with the Pav for a bit until new management took over there. The area is pretty much down to socials (the kensal) and the pig and whistle. Big shame.
Your local pub on 18:27 - Jan 3 with 4081 viewsSnipper

Your local pub on 17:39 - Jan 3 by GroveR

I'm in Acton now so pretty lucky with pubs but originally from the Grove and like 18stone said, w10, w11 and w12 have all been hard hit. Personally used to drink in the Cowshed but that's gone (physically), as are the western, the percy, the KP and the Eagle (spiritually). Never liked the Elgin so made do with the Pav for a bit until new management took over there. The area is pretty much down to socials (the kensal) and the pig and whistle. Big shame.

Sad thread this :-(. I'm originally from Bramley Road W10 and there were pubs galore when I was growing up. The first pub I got pished in was The Notting Barn Tavern (The Barn) on Bramley Road.
Other pubs sadly gone over the years are:
The Latimer Arms
The Volunteer
The Brewsters
The Roundhouse (before my drinking days)
The Kenilworth
The Bramley Arms
The Favourite
The Duke of Clarence
The Mailcoach
The Percy
The Cowshed
The Sheepshank
The Zetland
The Crown
The Dolphin
The Bridport
And more too.

Very very sad.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 18:46]
Your local pub on 19:22 - Jan 3 with 4019 viewsLadbrokeR

Your local pub on 18:27 - Jan 3 by Snipper

Sad thread this :-(. I'm originally from Bramley Road W10 and there were pubs galore when I was growing up. The first pub I got pished in was The Notting Barn Tavern (The Barn) on Bramley Road.
Other pubs sadly gone over the years are:
The Latimer Arms
The Volunteer
The Brewsters
The Roundhouse (before my drinking days)
The Kenilworth
The Bramley Arms
The Favourite
The Duke of Clarence
The Mailcoach
The Percy
The Cowshed
The Sheepshank
The Zetland
The Crown
The Dolphin
The Bridport
And more too.

Very very sad.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 18:46]

I live around the corner from the kenilworth which is now a co op. The Clarendon went years ago as did the earl of Zetland. To be honest inl liked the pubs on the Portobello. The Market Bar has gone and the the ground floor only ever had a hand full of locals but i liked the the mix of tourists and then random nature of the place. The bar staff were great a they played good music. My neighbours have started going to the Stuarts which down by the subway At Shepherds Bush which is a bit of hike. Another one I liked which is super market is the North Pole. We still have a corner in the Adelaide.
Your local pub on 19:32 - Jan 3 with 3989 viewsBoston

I know pubs are shutting down every day in Britain and Ireland, is this the trend across Europe? The U.S. never had the same pub culture and in my view never had enough boozers, the biggest problem over here is one of getting a licence not of closing them down.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your local pub on 19:39 - Jan 3 with 3977 viewsdistortR

2 locals really, here in ramsey on the sodden isle of man. For football i use the Swan, couple of screens and the managers a Preston fan and will generally show championship matches. Ok boozer, no thrills, serves okells. But for a pint I use the trafalgar on the harbour, gets some cracking guest beers in, very cosy, one small telly, no music, friendly and no bother. In the summer, get a pint, amble across the road and sit on one of the harbour side benches.lovely! In fact time to walk the dog and pop in for one. Laters!
Login to get fewer ads

Your local pub on 19:45 - Jan 3 with 3950 viewsqprxtc

From what I've been told the KPH is a dead man walking and The Stuart is having problems with the police who aren't happy with it.

Very soon they'll all be gone. Just overpriced crèches for yummy mummies and their spawn, estate agents, luxury unaffordable flats and coffee shops.

As Al Pacino said in Glengarry Glenross, 'This is not a world of men'.
Your local pub on 19:54 - Jan 3 with 3937 views18StoneOfHoop

Your local pub on 19:32 - Jan 3 by Boston

I know pubs are shutting down every day in Britain and Ireland, is this the trend across Europe? The U.S. never had the same pub culture and in my view never had enough boozers, the biggest problem over here is one of getting a licence not of closing them down.

I don't know about that,Boston.
When Homer wants to have a drink does he stay indoors or go to Moe's?

Quite a few left Boston way.
http://www.timeout.com/boston/bars/best-irish-pubs-in-boston

20% of US bars gone in a decade.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/last-call-for-neighborhood-bars.

While you may not be able to pony up to a (sometimes slightly sticky) bar down the street anymore, you will have somewhere (typically more upscale and with better food) to sit: In the past year alone, more than 6,100 restaurants have opened, many of them fast-casual restaurants (think the likes of Chipotle CMG, -1.22% , Smashburger and others that serve alcohol, the Nielsen study said.

Also see: Will Starbucks become your new neighborhood tavern?
The ultimate nightmare..

“One trend contributing to the decline of the neighborhood bar may be America’s seemingly insatiable appetite for establishments that also serve food in addition to alcoholic beverages,” Nielsen reveals. “In the past year, 6,185 new restaurants opened across the country. In addition, the rise of new casual dining options serving alcohol–such as fast “casual” food restaurants, brewpubs, as well as in-store dining and drinking options in grocery stores–are also likely contributing to the decline.”

Still, for those who frequent the beloved neighborhood watering hole, this trend is a sad one. When Milady’s, a decades-old bar in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City closed its doors last year, so many patrons packed into the bar to say goodbye that getting a drink could take 10 minutes.

But the owner knew it was time for it to go: “I serve burgers. A beer is five bucks,” the owner, Frank Genovese, told the New York Times at the time. “I can no longer sustain that formula. It doesn’t work anymore.”
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 20:05]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Your local pub on 20:46 - Jan 3 with 3888 viewsterryb

My contribution is my favourite pubs in two towns.

In Ipswich, The Dove is by far my favourite.

Wooded floor, multiple cask ales including their own brew. Proper lagers for those of that disposition, Scoth Eggs & Sausage Rolls.

If you visit the Chilterns, The Queens Head in Chesham is a great little pub.
A lovely pint of Breakspears!

The Public House. Britain's finest institution!
Your local pub on 21:17 - Jan 3 with 3854 viewsBoston

True, the Greater Boston area does not suffer for the want of a licensed premises. I was not aware that some parts of the country were experiencing shut downs, for as I mentioned, obtaining a 'liquor license' is harder than closing down around my neck of the woods and presumed it was pretty much the same way nationally.

Your local pub on 22:10 - Jan 3 with 3801 viewsJohnMcCo

I run The Good Ship in Kilburn, which is only sort of a pub. I quickly realised on arriving there that it would only survive as an event driven venue. There are no other pubs I like in the area except the Colin Campbell which we laughed at as youths but now, given that it has barely changed since the 50s is very charming. The only other boozer I like is the Priory which is run by yer man who is the barman on First Date. He is massively posh but he took over a struggling spit and sawdust and poshed it up but did not try and alienate the locals like these types of people usually do. Kept the dart board too, nice touch.

I live most of the time in Brighton and whilst it really must be one of the best places in the country for pubs, there are 2 companies who own about a third of them and their practices are a touch questionable. The nearest to me is the excellent Basketmakers but my favourite is The Constant Service in Hanover. There is a perfect touch of friendly lunacy in there that makes every visit an adventure.
Your local pub on 00:29 - Jan 4 with 3709 viewsBoston

I usually take a few pints in the Colin Campbell when I'm over. Young Master Boston finds it fascinating!

Your local pub on 00:34 - Jan 4 with 3702 viewsDorse

Your local pub on 00:29 - Jan 4 by Boston

I usually take a few pints in the Colin Campbell when I'm over. Young Master Boston finds it fascinating!

Must.... resist.... obvious.... jokes....

[Post edited 4 Jan 2016 0:36]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your local pub on 09:40 - Jan 4 with 2825 viewsNW10Hoop

Your local pub on 00:34 - Jan 4 by Dorse

Must.... resist.... obvious.... jokes....

[Post edited 4 Jan 2016 0:36]

Apologies. Seem to have given you a negative vote while thumbing my iPhone
Your local pub on 09:51 - Jan 4 with 2814 viewsQPunkR

Your local pub on 09:40 - Jan 4 by NW10Hoop

Apologies. Seem to have given you a negative vote while thumbing my iPhone

Thumbing yer iPhone?.. Oo-err!

QPR - "shit but local"

Your local pub on 10:35 - Jan 4 with 2791 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Grand Union.

It was the lovely Carlton Bridge with pool table, armchairs football and a Jukebox .

It then turned into a gastro-Kunt fest with white washed walls, swordfish on the menu, Camel burgers and Paul McCartney popping in.

Pleased to say fullers took it over a few years ago and it is now rather nice but not as good as it was in the 90's/early 00's

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your local pub on 10:51 - Jan 4 with 2769 viewsrobith

The Crooked Billet in Clapton. Actually pretty blessed with it. Old cottage house with a massive garden, and has a top notch rotating selection of cask ales at pretty decent prices.

Only downside is like every pub in the world now you seem to have to book to have Sunday lunch
Your local pub on 10:53 - Jan 4 with 2764 viewsRickyDicky

Your local pub on 15:17 - Jan 3 by RickyDicky

Yep, getting that too, just reported to the webmeister General.

back now...

http://www.thefarriersarms.com/

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Your local pub on 11:14 - Jan 4 with 2743 viewsisawqpratwcity

Your local pub on 10:53 - Jan 4 by RickyDicky

back now...

http://www.thefarriersarms.com/

You're welcome.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Your local pub on 11:16 - Jan 4 with 2741 viewshovehoop

Your local pub on 22:10 - Jan 3 by JohnMcCo

I run The Good Ship in Kilburn, which is only sort of a pub. I quickly realised on arriving there that it would only survive as an event driven venue. There are no other pubs I like in the area except the Colin Campbell which we laughed at as youths but now, given that it has barely changed since the 50s is very charming. The only other boozer I like is the Priory which is run by yer man who is the barman on First Date. He is massively posh but he took over a struggling spit and sawdust and poshed it up but did not try and alienate the locals like these types of people usually do. Kept the dart board too, nice touch.

I live most of the time in Brighton and whilst it really must be one of the best places in the country for pubs, there are 2 companies who own about a third of them and their practices are a touch questionable. The nearest to me is the excellent Basketmakers but my favourite is The Constant Service in Hanover. There is a perfect touch of friendly lunacy in there that makes every visit an adventure.

Grew up in Willesden Lane and schooled in Ladbroke Grove, so Kilburn and Grove pubs were pretty familiar. Though when young spent most time in Walmer Castle (Ledbury Road) and Pembridge Castle and sometimes the Mitre at the top of Ladbroke Grove.

Seem to remember a time when the borough boundary between Brent and Camden ran down the middle of Kilburn High Road and closing time was 10.30 one side of the road and 11pm the other. So at 10.30, customers would spill out of pubs and cross the road for an extra half hour!

Moved to Brighton 21 years ago and kids are born here. I agree, The Basketmakers is a lovely pub though its' a good half hour walk. It's one of few Fullers pubs that do HSB (which I think is an old Gales drink). I like the Lion and Lobster too for it's oldy worldy feel and aged newspapers stuck on walls. It's a locals pub and has a good atmosphere though can get too busy at weekends.

Nearest pubs are The Dyke Tavern and The Good Companion. The Dyke can't decide if it's a pub or restaurant. I think it's too expensive for what it is and can get a few cashed-up loud mouths that it's difficult to distance from due to narrow bar layout. The Good Companions is a nice pub with unusual middle of the floor square bar and food is good though music is loud. Though once you're settled it's one of those bars where you forget time. Have often wondered why I was so drunk only to realise it was 1am and not 11ish!
Your local pub on 11:19 - Jan 4 with 2733 viewstoboboly

Your local pub on 11:10 - Jan 3 by brewers_hoop

The Tollgate on Turnpike Lane, which mirrors my newly-changed avatar.

It's a Wetherspoons and full of dodgy geezers (those that haven't been banned) who automatically assume that anyone new in the pub is Old Bill. That said, most of 'em are a good craic - lots of reminiscing about bygone days spent nicking the poor box from the church and the lead off the roof.

In fairness, it's calmed down a bit of late - police only called to the boozer a couple of times a week these days. 😄

If you think The Tollgate is bad may I suggest The Wellington slightly closer to the station? I've never met anyone whose survived a visit.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Your local pub on 11:27 - Jan 4 with 2724 viewsJuzzie

After living in a place where you couldn't swing a kitten without hitting a pub, I'm now bereft of them. Not that I have time to go anymore.

Duke Of York - corner of Hanworth Road/Powder Mill Lane.
Flat roof pub in every sense apart from the roof not being flat. Only been there once (to watch the Derby v QPR league game in 2014). Someone called it the Duke of Giro.... apt.

Equal distance in the opposite direction, The Admiral Nelson by the mini roundabout where Whitton High Street meets Nelson Road.
Not been there yet but will hopefully pop in for a pint soon and see what it's like.

Your local pub on 11:55 - Jan 4 with 2695 viewsQPunkR

Your local pub on 10:35 - Jan 4 by Metallica_Hoop

The Grand Union.

It was the lovely Carlton Bridge with pool table, armchairs football and a Jukebox .

It then turned into a gastro-Kunt fest with white washed walls, swordfish on the menu, Camel burgers and Paul McCartney popping in.

Pleased to say fullers took it over a few years ago and it is now rather nice but not as good as it was in the 90's/early 00's

Ooh Christ no, dude. It's still like a fiver a pint in there!

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024