Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your local pub 19:46 - Jan 2 with 34191 viewsBlackCrowe

Not necessarily your favourite but your local. Describe.

Me? The Boaters Inn, Kingston. Good guest ales, great spot on the river. Excellent in Summer but lacks soul in Winter - lighting too bright, too much space given to non-existant diners. If I owned it, things would change.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Your local pub on 14:28 - Jan 5 with 5327 viewsLadbrokeR

Your local pub on 12:51 - Jan 5 by toboboly

Wow. I bow to you sir. The Westbury down the road the opposite way is nice. Sell Yakima Red which is my new favourite beer.

My Mrs lives down Lordship Lane so have been dipping into the local pub scene. There's a grotty pub called The New Moon, reminded me of the dodgy IRA pub at the beginning of Withnail & I.

The west bury closed in 2012
Your local pub on 14:41 - Jan 5 with 5302 viewsdoogi55

Your local pub on 17:39 - Jan 3 by GroveR

I'm in Acton now so pretty lucky with pubs but originally from the Grove and like 18stone said, w10, w11 and w12 have all been hard hit. Personally used to drink in the Cowshed but that's gone (physically), as are the western, the percy, the KP and the Eagle (spiritually). Never liked the Elgin so made do with the Pav for a bit until new management took over there. The area is pretty much down to socials (the kensal) and the pig and whistle. Big shame.

the cow shed (admiral blake) was my local for years when i lived in the white flats ,the western the lads the prince the derby. Most who used to drink in those pubs now use the flora on harrow road.very sad when i visit family to see all those pubs gone.
Your local pub on 15:07 - Jan 5 with 5267 views18StoneOfHoop

Your local pub on 14:41 - Jan 5 by doogi55

the cow shed (admiral blake) was my local for years when i lived in the white flats ,the western the lads the prince the derby. Most who used to drink in those pubs now use the flora on harrow road.very sad when i visit family to see all those pubs gone.

The Cowshed (on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Rd W10 RIP) and the Western (corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Rd W10 RIP) took coaches to Cardiff.

The most egregious example of pub demolishment and replacement I've ever seen:
The Cowshed before, 1881-2013

Note the wrecking ball is ready on the left..

After
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5294a95ae4b013dda087b63d/52b4146de4b020877

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12122935_113260827010

Replaced by a complete and utter hideous monstrosity:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12108915_150559541309

Bollux!
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 15:29]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Your local pub on 15:21 - Jan 5 with 5245 viewskensalriser

And now an anonymous block of flats with a still empty ground floor retail unit. Should been a listed building. It's a disaster how many historic examples of London architecture are being lost to be replaced with shit new buildings.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Your local pub on 15:38 - Jan 5 with 5218 viewsBushman

Your local pub on 15:40 - Jan 4 by NW10Hoop

Love Portobello Gold. Still has the same feel of drinking in Ladbroke Grove in my teens and early twenties.

Willesden does indeed have slim pickings. Quite enjoy visiting all the pubs you mentioned in Kensal Rise these days. The back bar in the Crown in Cricklewood is nice too.

Pity the Corrib Rest in Queens Park has closed down

Loved the Gold.

Plenty of fun upstairs with Lemmy,sulphate and lager back in the early 80's

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Your local pub on 15:52 - Jan 5 with 5327 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Your local pub on 15:07 - Jan 5 by 18StoneOfHoop

The Cowshed (on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Rd W10 RIP) and the Western (corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Rd W10 RIP) took coaches to Cardiff.

The most egregious example of pub demolishment and replacement I've ever seen:
The Cowshed before, 1881-2013

Note the wrecking ball is ready on the left..

After
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5294a95ae4b013dda087b63d/52b4146de4b020877

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12122935_113260827010

Replaced by a complete and utter hideous monstrosity:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12108915_150559541309

Bollux!
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 15:29]

Remember the Cockle and Mussel seller outside? (think it was weekends)

Went in there once. I dug the patched cushions on the seats and the repaired baize on the Pool Table. (lectrik tape)

I decided though that it wasn't for me and never went back.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your local pub on 16:08 - Jan 5 with 5297 views18StoneOfHoop

Your local pub on 15:52 - Jan 5 by Metallica_Hoop

Remember the Cockle and Mussel seller outside? (think it was weekends)

Went in there once. I dug the patched cushions on the seats and the repaired baize on the Pool Table. (lectrik tape)

I decided though that it wasn't for me and never went back.

It was not a classically beautiful pub full of stimulating,interesting customers with
Dorothy Parker type levels of witty repartee.

full of many salt-of-the-earth Rangers fans though

including Pauline the curly-haired barmaid and Lower Loft season ticket holder.

Loved the challenge of the slope when nine sheets to the winds too.

Each to their own,Met.
It took me just 15 seconds in that cavernous pub in the Moscow Road W2* in the 90's
before my ears demanded to leave..

*This pub in the Moscow Rd parallel to Bayswater Road and near to the greek orthodox cathedral was famed
for it's very loud HM & Punk juke-box.

You're right about Hammersmith river drinking,Talli,very pleasant.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 16:17]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Your local pub on 16:11 - Jan 5 with 5284 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Your local pub on 16:08 - Jan 5 by 18StoneOfHoop

It was not a classically beautiful pub full of stimulating,interesting customers with
Dorothy Parker type levels of witty repartee.

full of many salt-of-the-earth Rangers fans though

including Pauline the curly-haired barmaid and Lower Loft season ticket holder.

Loved the challenge of the slope when nine sheets to the winds too.

Each to their own,Met.
It took me just 15 seconds in that cavernous pub in the Moscow Road W2* in the 90's
before my ears demanded to leave..

*This pub in the Moscow Rd parallel to Bayswater Road and near to the greek orthodox cathedral was famed
for it's very loud HM & Punk juke-box.

You're right about Hammersmith river drinking,Talli,very pleasant.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 16:17]

Never heard of that one.

The Redan and The Royal Oak were the two I frequented around there.

I've always prefered the river at Hammersmith for drinking though. Great choice and all soooo close to each other

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Your local pub on 17:11 - Jan 5 with 5224 viewsjohncharles

Northfields Avenue is pretty crap for pubs. The Pluogh was okay until it became the Pram and Pushchair. Jackson's wine bar, bland but bearable, has now become Freddy's which is more like a Pzza Hut. The Forester is dreadful. Microwave Thai and Fosters. Some real ales but they are usually awful. Doesn't matter what the beer is if ir's kept properly. Service is an insult.
But there appears a bright star on the Hanwell horizon. The revamped Grosvenor. Okay it's pricy and lots of mummies and daddies bring their little treasures at weekends but the beer it terrific. I'm drinking Milestone American Pale on draught at £4.20 which doesn't seem too prices. My favourite is Great Eastern Pale at £6.20 a pint but it's 7.5%. All the beers and the staff are in excellent condition. Friendliest staff anywhere and they all like beer. Even the pretty Italian girl knows her ale.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 20:58]

Strong and stable my arse.

Your local pub on 20:47 - Jan 5 with 5130 viewsLblock

Your local pub on 17:11 - Jan 5 by johncharles

Northfields Avenue is pretty crap for pubs. The Pluogh was okay until it became the Pram and Pushchair. Jackson's wine bar, bland but bearable, has now become Freddy's which is more like a Pzza Hut. The Forester is dreadful. Microwave Thai and Fosters. Some real ales but they are usually awful. Doesn't matter what the beer is if ir's kept properly. Service is an insult.
But there appears a bright star on the Hanwell horizon. The revamped Grosvenor. Okay it's pricy and lots of mummies and daddies bring their little treasures at weekends but the beer it terrific. I'm drinking Milestone American Pale on draught at £4.20 which doesn't seem too prices. My favourite is Great Eastern Pale at £6.20 a pint but it's 7.5%. All the beers and the staff are in excellent condition. Friendliest staff anywhere and they all like beer. Even the pretty Italian girl knows her ale.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2016 20:58]

Jackson's used to be okay - John the Boro guvnor not a bad chap (good looking daughter an all), I DJ'd in there a couple of times. Not been in since changed to Freddys but I hear it's pricey

I still like The Plough. Probably the best boozer in EASY walking distance from me but maybe the nearest PUB and therefore my local would be either The Rose & Crown / The New Inn / The Ealing Park Tavern. I'm plumping for the EPT as it's one I use the most because I'm in my mid 40's and a gastro tossa. It's a bit of me... leather sofas, open fires, expensive food, micro brewery and attitude now and then. Since the refurb last Xmas they do now at least show the footy and I'm sure one day soon you'll find myself and LadbrokeR sitting in leather Chesterfield Armchairs recounting tales of the C-Mob in Sir Roley Birkin style

However... I accentuated the word "pub" as my true local would have to be the cess pit that is Roddy's Bar. A frightful establishment that I dont include as it is, as named, a bar. A true flat roofed bar at that. Never use it. Ever.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Your local pub on 22:50 - Jan 5 with 5076 viewsqueensparker

Your local pub on 20:47 - Jan 5 by Lblock

Jackson's used to be okay - John the Boro guvnor not a bad chap (good looking daughter an all), I DJ'd in there a couple of times. Not been in since changed to Freddys but I hear it's pricey

I still like The Plough. Probably the best boozer in EASY walking distance from me but maybe the nearest PUB and therefore my local would be either The Rose & Crown / The New Inn / The Ealing Park Tavern. I'm plumping for the EPT as it's one I use the most because I'm in my mid 40's and a gastro tossa. It's a bit of me... leather sofas, open fires, expensive food, micro brewery and attitude now and then. Since the refurb last Xmas they do now at least show the footy and I'm sure one day soon you'll find myself and LadbrokeR sitting in leather Chesterfield Armchairs recounting tales of the C-Mob in Sir Roley Birkin style

However... I accentuated the word "pub" as my true local would have to be the cess pit that is Roddy's Bar. A frightful establishment that I dont include as it is, as named, a bar. A true flat roofed bar at that. Never use it. Ever.

Ha - I lived in Northfields for years and Roddy's Bar was the absolute pits. Can't believe it's still going! I miss the Spinning Wheel, a bit of a dump but a brilliant place to head to when you'd run out of options late at night, that and the snooker club. A shout for Duffy's in Northfields as well, that's always decent.

My nearest local where I live now is the Mason's Arms on the Harrow Road. It's a great old building and has some great history with the Kensal Green graveyard next door etc but it always seems a bit half empty and soulless to me, plus it's pricey. Decent for watching football but that's about it. Seems ripe for a Tesco which would be a shame, as it could be a really good pub with a bit of effort.

There's not many pubs left round here, loved the Corrib in Queens Park but that's gone now. The Whippet is alright, the Salusbury on Salusbury Rd is full of w*nkers, the Island is OK I suppose. I still like the Chamberlayne for a slap-up steak when I'm in funds. I've noticed that a lot of the old Irish lads from Kensal Green have started drinking Superbock with the Benfica fans in a tiny Portuguese cafe on the Harrow Road these days - multiculturalism at its finest!
Your local pub on 23:35 - Jan 5 with 5030 viewsMrSheen

Your local pub on 17:14 - Jan 4 by londonscottish

Yeah, shame about the Corib.

Good to hear a recommendation for the Crown.

I might be moving Dollis Hill way and that would be close,

I remember picking my Dad up from The Crown one Christmas afternoon in the 80s to take him home for dinner. All the single men who hadn't gone home were singing old songs and crying their eyes out. Horrible sight. He said there used to be wild west style punch-ups there in the 60s. My Dad and my sisters were filmed there for Dexy's Celtic Soul Brothers video.

It used to be part-owned by the one and only Brendan Shine (ask Brian) but I heard it had been bought and extensively done up by the IRA. Any truth in the rumour?
Your local pub on 23:46 - Jan 5 with 5025 viewsDorse

Your local pub on 16:45 - Jan 4 by Lush1664

I've heard good things about the old Crown, now Fontmell, from my old neighbour and pal Steve Rads! It was shite when I lived in Bedchester - bloody typical that they sort it when I've left!

Mine is now the Ship in Porthleven, Cornwall, - proper pub, well priced local beers, decent Janner wrestling wine, good food and right on the harbour side so I can keep an eye on my lad jumping in the harbour with a pint of Doombar in my hand!

Saw Radders - he sends his best. D.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your local pub on 00:01 - Jan 6 with 5007 viewsLush1664

Your local pub on 23:46 - Jan 5 by Dorse

Saw Radders - he sends his best. D.

Small world eh? He's just texted to say he'd seen you.

You're not one of his cycling gang are you Dorse?
Your local pub on 02:05 - Jan 6 with 4965 viewsBoston

Your local pub on 00:01 - Jan 6 by Lush1664

Spandex?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your local pub on 04:23 - Jan 6 with 4950 viewsLadbrokeR

I have spent the last 26 years in the Grove but spent the early part of my life in Northfields a QPR stronghold I might add. In addition to L blocks list I would add the Foresters. This is now a respectable Gastro pub serving Thai food and nice Sunday roasts catering for those that have bitten the mortgage bullet. I can remember Sunday afternoons with my dad and his crowd in the back bar drinking like there was no tomorrow. The guvnor at the time was a big Irish fella a lovely bloke called Joe who I often struggled to understand. He swaggered about with a massive set of keys attached to a belt loop cracking poor jokes. He became endearingly known as frankenstein among our little crowd. I can recall my dad being so drunk and loudly talking about Frankenstein without a care. I shall let someone else talk about the transition of the Plough.
Your local pub on 09:36 - Jan 6 with 4882 viewsDorse

Your local pub on 00:01 - Jan 6 by Lush1664

God no! Although my Chopper is regularly seen around the area.

The boys are all off skiing again soon. After the last hospitalisations, alcohol poisoning and all-round 'You've Been Framed'-style action, expect this year's reports to include the headlines:

'Intrepid Brits Conquer North Face Of Matterhorn In Nude'
'No Snow? No Worries! British Group Invents New Sport: Drunken Bathtub Street Roller Luge Karaoke'
'New Word Enters French Lexicon: "Fontmellian"

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your local pub on 09:53 - Jan 6 with 4857 viewsQPunkR

Your local pub on 14:41 - Jan 5 by doogi55

Was in the Flora the other day. And even that's shutting down next month! There's gonna be no fúcking boozers left at this rate. Even the Chippenham - shithole that it was - has gone.
If anyone's got Maida Vale Breakdown - the 101ers album (Joe Strummer's band before he became Joe Strummer and joined the Clash) - the live bits were recorded upstairs.

QPR - "shit but local"

Your local pub on 10:06 - Jan 6 with 4846 viewsMick_S

My old local on Harlington Road, Hillingdon, about to become a shisha lounge. About a two minute walk from The Turks Head which is now boarded up.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Your local pub on 11:35 - Jan 6 with 4792 viewsBushman

Your local pub on 10:06 - Jan 6 by Mick_S

My old local on Harlington Road, Hillingdon, about to become a shisha lounge. About a two minute walk from The Turks Head which is now boarded up.

Surely they have the two places mixed up & The Turks head is the shisha lougue?

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Your local pub on 11:39 - Jan 6 with 4776 viewsMick_S

That is a very good point. I'm keeping my eye on the situation.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Your local pub on 12:38 - Jan 6 with 4741 viewsMrSheen

Your local pub on 09:53 - Jan 6 by QPunkR

Was in the Flora the other day. And even that's shutting down next month! There's gonna be no fúcking boozers left at this rate. Even the Chippenham - shithole that it was - has gone.
If anyone's got Maida Vale Breakdown - the 101ers album (Joe Strummer's band before he became Joe Strummer and joined the Clash) - the live bits were recorded upstairs.

The Flora belonged to Tony Grealish's father/ Jack's grandfather, didn't it?
Your local pub on 13:58 - Jan 6 with 4703 viewsJuzzie

Your local pub on 11:27 - Jan 4 by Juzzie

After living in a place where you couldn't swing a kitten without hitting a pub, I'm now bereft of them. Not that I have time to go anymore.

Duke Of York - corner of Hanworth Road/Powder Mill Lane.
Flat roof pub in every sense apart from the roof not being flat. Only been there once (to watch the Derby v QPR league game in 2014). Someone called it the Duke of Giro.... apt.

Equal distance in the opposite direction, The Admiral Nelson by the mini roundabout where Whitton High Street meets Nelson Road.
Not been there yet but will hopefully pop in for a pint soon and see what it's like.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/14183369.Drugs_including_crack_
Your local pub on 14:16 - Jan 6 with 4673 viewsQPunkR

Your local pub on 12:38 - Jan 6 by MrSheen

The Flora belonged to Tony Grealish's father/ Jack's grandfather, didn't it?

I believe that's correct

QPR - "shit but local"

Your local pub on 15:05 - Jan 6 with 4643 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Your local pub on 14:16 - Jan 6 by QPunkR

I believe that's correct

Went to Wilberforce Primary with Tony and used to go back to The Flora to play.

That bit of Harrow Road/ Ladbroke Grove/ Kilburn Lane used to have some wonderful pubs and some absolute shyteholes.

As a small boy The Plough and The Grey Horse were always a visit with my Dad and Uncle for a visit to the flower market and a few pints for them prior to Sunday lunch and a shandy something for me.

As I grew older the William the Fourth was allways a laugh, watching the ladies going for real cat fights and glassings of each other.

The KPH was a bit more on the extreme end of things. I do remember some real full on just like wild west movie punch ups with people and furniture flying through the air. I was usually to pissed to move and sat watching and admiring the action. Also notable for being the only pub where I witnessed somebody being shot with a harpoon gun.

While my meanderings took me from The Pavillion to The Mitre at one end of Ladbroke Grove, the only pub that was my real local when I lived in the area was at the complete other end, the sadly no longer existant Narrow Boat. For a period it had a wonderful mix of B list musos looking for class A's , very strong Rangers contingent and for some reason a group of Catalan Barca supporters (way before fashionable). Run by ex cab driver Wally and his wife Rene who was related to Jim Gregory , and the Wise family hence they never had any real naughtiness to deal with. Do remember the night Ronnie Lane dropped in with a bunch of mates and Rene got the best glasses out, then the thieving gits nicked them!

Can't believe that so many pubs have gone now, and as for turning them into shisha bars is beyond the pale.

Gravitated westward over the years and after a sojourn in Uxbridge where the General Elliott was a great boozer when run by American Milke, I am now in genteel Ickenham where the way too restauranty Coach and Horses is the watering hole of choice.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2016 14:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024