Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your local pub 19:46 - Jan 2 with 34189 viewsBlackCrowe

Not necessarily your favourite but your local. Describe.

Me? The Boaters Inn, Kingston. Good guest ales, great spot on the river. Excellent in Summer but lacks soul in Winter - lighting too bright, too much space given to non-existant diners. If I owned it, things would change.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Your local pub on 12:51 - Jan 4 with 3947 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Your local pub on 11:55 - Jan 4 by QPunkR

Ooh Christ no, dude. It's still like a fiver a pint in there!

Well before the Fuller's takeover it was more expensive to have a pint in there than at a club. It was £4:50 for a Kronenbourg in 2006!

So comparatively speaking (with inflation) it's cheaper.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your local pub on 12:56 - Jan 4 with 3937 viewsQPunkR

Your local pub on 12:51 - Jan 4 by Metallica_Hoop

Well before the Fuller's takeover it was more expensive to have a pint in there than at a club. It was £4:50 for a Kronenbourg in 2006!

So comparatively speaking (with inflation) it's cheaper.

Ha ha, taking inflation into account you're right.
But you can still get a pint for just under or just over £3 across the road (and there's fewer New Money people)!

QPR - "shit but local"

Your local pub on 12:59 - Jan 4 with 3931 viewsaston_hoop

A large selection of world beers, a large selection of meads that you can drink from Viking drinking horns and walls adorned with viking shields and swords all to a good hard rock/metal soundtrack. That said, I do love coming home to a proper old fashioned English boozer when I'm in England!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Your local pub on 14:48 - Jan 4 with 3852 viewsBoston

Your local pub on 12:59 - Jan 4 by aston_hoop

A large selection of world beers, a large selection of meads that you can drink from Viking drinking horns and walls adorned with viking shields and swords all to a good hard rock/metal soundtrack. That said, I do love coming home to a proper old fashioned English boozer when I'm in England!

....where's this, The Valhalla Rovers?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your local pub on 15:05 - Jan 4 with 3831 viewsBluce_Ree

F**k knows what it is called but they do really good food there and it has a nice big beer garden at the back which is great although that can soon go awry when people bring their stupid bullshit children.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Your local pub on 15:20 - Jan 4 with 3808 viewsaston_hoop

Your local pub on 14:48 - Jan 4 by Boston

....where's this, The Valhalla Rovers?

Yeah and you wouldn't want to mess with the locals at chucking out time

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Your local pub on 15:26 - Jan 4 with 3798 viewsgordanoR

My local is The Berkeley Arms in Cam. I've only been in twice & despite everyone I know in the village saying it's alright in there I hate it. It's the kind of pub you can't see inside, frosted windows & the door is always closed.

Slightly further afield is The Old Spot in Dursley, really love this place but I don't go out much & have only ever been in there in the afternoon.
Your local pub on 15:30 - Jan 4 with 3786 viewslondonscottish

I dropped into an old local of mine on New Year's Eve, the Portobello Gold. It hadn't changed much since I was last there 18 years ago. The plaque commemorating Bill Clinton's visit and use of the loo had gone. But most of the rest of it is still there. Met an eighty year old local, had a laugh with the staff, brought back happy memories of living the the Grove.

Other locals I frequented included the Ground Floor, the Market Bar, the Bonepart, Finch's, the Warwick Castle, the Walmer Castle and the Portobello Gold. None more than a 10 minute stroll from the flat I rented.

No so many proper pubs where I am now (Willesden) - or is it my age?

I used to love the Greyhound in Kensal Riseand am happy-ish now it's reopened as the Whippet. Also used to love the Paradise when it was a bit rickety but steer clear these days . I occasionally go to the Chamberlayne but get hacked off at the prices. Don't mind the Island despite the odd decor and layout (and it's previous life a genuine flat roofed pub). The Queensbury is an excellent pre-Wembley venue and I had 50 R's in there before the playoff final.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2016 15:32]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Your local pub on 15:40 - Jan 4 with 3768 viewsNW10Hoop

Your local pub on 15:30 - Jan 4 by londonscottish

I dropped into an old local of mine on New Year's Eve, the Portobello Gold. It hadn't changed much since I was last there 18 years ago. The plaque commemorating Bill Clinton's visit and use of the loo had gone. But most of the rest of it is still there. Met an eighty year old local, had a laugh with the staff, brought back happy memories of living the the Grove.

Other locals I frequented included the Ground Floor, the Market Bar, the Bonepart, Finch's, the Warwick Castle, the Walmer Castle and the Portobello Gold. None more than a 10 minute stroll from the flat I rented.

I used to love the Greyhound in Kensal Riseand am happy-ish now it's reopened as the Whippet. Also used to love the Paradise when it was a bit rickety but steer clear these days . I occasionally go to the Chamberlayne but get hacked off at the prices. Don't mind the Island despite the odd decor and layout (and it's previous life a genuine flat roofed pub). The Queensbury is an excellent pre-Wembley venue and I had 50 R's in there before the playoff final.

Love Portobello Gold. Still has the same feel of drinking in Ladbroke Grove in my teens and early twenties.

Willesden does indeed have slim pickings. Quite enjoy visiting all the pubs you mentioned in Kensal Rise these days. The back bar in the Crown in Cricklewood is nice too.

Pity the Corrib Rest in Queens Park has closed down
Your local pub on 16:45 - Jan 4 with 3707 viewsLush1664

Your local pub on 12:54 - Jan 3 by Dorse

Fontmell Magna, twinned with Las Vegas.

I've heard good things about the old Crown, now Fontmell, from my old neighbour and pal Steve Rads! It was shite when I lived in Bedchester - bloody typical that they sort it when I've left!

Mine is now the Ship in Porthleven, Cornwall, - proper pub, well priced local beers, decent Janner wrestling wine, good food and right on the harbour side so I can keep an eye on my lad jumping in the harbour with a pint of Doombar in my hand!
Your local pub on 17:14 - Jan 4 with 3676 viewslondonscottish

Your local pub on 15:40 - Jan 4 by NW10Hoop

Love Portobello Gold. Still has the same feel of drinking in Ladbroke Grove in my teens and early twenties.

Willesden does indeed have slim pickings. Quite enjoy visiting all the pubs you mentioned in Kensal Rise these days. The back bar in the Crown in Cricklewood is nice too.

Pity the Corrib Rest in Queens Park has closed down

Yeah, shame about the Corib.

Good to hear a recommendation for the Crown.

I might be moving Dollis Hill way and that would be close,

Your local pub on 17:31 - Jan 4 with 3652 viewsbrewers_hoop

Your local pub on 11:19 - Jan 4 by toboboly

If you think The Tollgate is bad may I suggest The Wellington slightly closer to the station? I've never met anyone whose survived a visit.

I am that man! Was in there as recently as Saturday to see the second half of the Watford-City game. With 2 kids you have to take any chance you can for a swift half - even if it means braving a bear pit. In fairness, the clientele in there are generally so rat-arsed, by the time they worked out how to throw a punch you'd be long gone.

The Goose in Wood Green is also pretty lively - that's the place where those who've been barred from the two former pubs tend to congregate so can get quite interesting...
Your local pub on 17:42 - Jan 4 with 3639 viewsLush1664

Your local pub on 11:27 - Jan 4 by Juzzie

After living in a place where you couldn't swing a kitten without hitting a pub, I'm now bereft of them. Not that I have time to go anymore.

Duke Of York - corner of Hanworth Road/Powder Mill Lane.
Flat roof pub in every sense apart from the roof not being flat. Only been there once (to watch the Derby v QPR league game in 2014). Someone called it the Duke of Giro.... apt.

Equal distance in the opposite direction, The Admiral Nelson by the mini roundabout where Whitton High Street meets Nelson Road.
Not been there yet but will hopefully pop in for a pint soon and see what it's like.

The Duke of York used to be as rough as ten - my brother used to drink there so it had to be!

The Black Horse on the corner of Lampton Rd and Spring Grove Rd was our local back then (late 70's to mid-80's) and was excellent.
Good landlord - Stan the Yorkie with wife Margaret who were happy to lock the doors and pull the curtains for a few late ones. Max in the kitchen making the char-broiled burgers, proper public bar with dart board and pool table and saloon bar for schmoozing with the ladies.
Roasties and blocks of cheese on the bar on a Sunday lunchtime, perfect with a pint after Sunday morning football at Heston Park, Gunnersbury Park or Dukes Meadows amongst others.

Happy days.
Your local pub on 18:49 - Jan 4 with 3585 viewsDeepcutHoop

Deepcut grew up around the barracks, so there's never been a pub here. Can't trust a squaddie outside in the real world :D

Closest thing to a local if I were that way inclined would be Bob Potter's 70's timewarp hellhole at Lakeside... -
*shudders*
[Post edited 4 Jan 2016 18:49]
Your local pub on 21:53 - Jan 4 with 3504 viewsLadbrokeR

We were sitting in the garden of the Queensbury before the play off final.
Your local pub on 22:16 - Jan 4 with 3487 viewsDevon_4_England

Your local pub on 11:27 - Jan 4 by Juzzie

After living in a place where you couldn't swing a kitten without hitting a pub, I'm now bereft of them. Not that I have time to go anymore.

Duke Of York - corner of Hanworth Road/Powder Mill Lane.
Flat roof pub in every sense apart from the roof not being flat. Only been there once (to watch the Derby v QPR league game in 2014). Someone called it the Duke of Giro.... apt.

Equal distance in the opposite direction, The Admiral Nelson by the mini roundabout where Whitton High Street meets Nelson Road.
Not been there yet but will hopefully pop in for a pint soon and see what it's like.

Check out The Prince Albert in Whitton just across the road from the Nelson (bit too Chelsea)

Also Duke of Cambridge by Knellor hall. Great for food during the week (12pm - 2pm)
Your local pub on 23:56 - Jan 4 with 3438 viewsMonkey_Roots

Your local pub on 01:25 - Jan 3 by PunteR

Nearest pub to me is Peacock Farm which is more known as a restaurant but its owned by Badger Brewery so sells some decent beer. Has a nice pub garden that gets lively in summer.No football on a tv,pool or darts but do a quiz night every Monday.
Its a 5 min stumble home.

Just up the road from me in crowthorne. Decent for a summers day or for an impromptu stop off for some grub on the way home with the family.

The prince is my local. Okay pub, lots of football, okay grub. Fair few student types who buy 1 drink to last them all night whilst occupying a table in front of the football they're not interested in.
Your local pub on 00:20 - Jan 5 with 3427 viewsPunteR

Your local pub on 23:56 - Jan 4 by Monkey_Roots

Just up the road from me in crowthorne. Decent for a summers day or for an impromptu stop off for some grub on the way home with the family.

The prince is my local. Okay pub, lots of football, okay grub. Fair few student types who buy 1 drink to last them all night whilst occupying a table in front of the football they're not interested in.

Is that the one on the corner by the mini roundabout just before the high street? Been in there a couple of times,yeh its decent.
Golden Retriever is good for grub or a quick pint on the way back home.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Your local pub on 07:32 - Jan 5 with 3376 viewsLadbrokeR

Your local pub on 00:20 - Jan 5 by PunteR

Is that the one on the corner by the mini roundabout just before the high street? Been in there a couple of times,yeh its decent.
Golden Retriever is good for grub or a quick pint on the way back home.

Back to the Gold I always liked the tropical mural on the far wall which has now gone. I don't mind the Star but can't deal with droning Indy music. I realise that I may have put the cat among the pigeons with that one. On the point of pubs where do the away fans go now. I walk down through edward woods and often see a few over the road from Westfields in Bellushis. But where else is there ?
Your local pub on 08:21 - Jan 5 with 3355 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Your local pub on 15:30 - Jan 4 by londonscottish

To quote a mate of mine I was having a drink with in the Paradise. He suddenly stops talking to me looks distant and said out of the blue.

"This place is full of f'kin Poindexters"

He was correct, get there early on a Sunday though for the sun deck and it's alright.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your local pub on 09:02 - Jan 5 with 3323 viewsA40Bosh

My local of choice would be The Case is Altered in Old Eastcote - it's not my nearest "pub" but it is what I would class a "proper" pub, i.e. it was originally built as a pub or at least a large dwelling and is not one of those converted High St shoe shops that many of these local chains open such as Hennessys and Conways etc. I have been frequenting it since my late teens and it always remains my favourite - In the summer there is a large front garden and they have a semi permanent outdoor cooking area and the food is good, if a little pricy.

I really can't stand these new stype High St pubs that have sprung up - I guess they are more like American "bars". They are all the same, long and narrow with a bar down one side and not enough room to swing a cat, more than not populated by the same old fella propping up the bar and giving you the once over with distain when you sidle up beside them at the bar to get a drink.

My nearest proper pub is The Black Bull, which is ok I suppose since it reopened a couple of years back and was converted in to an "Irish" "family" orientated pub, but the beer in there can still be pretty rank at times and the grub isn't up to much. The Middlesex Arms is closer again by Sth Ruislip station and is a big old traditional pub, reminds of the Queen Vic in some ways, but no one we know tends to use it - probably because it had a reputation for many years and was considered a Chelsea pub.

There is a Weatherspoons in Ruislip Manor which is ok for a pre-day out breakfast and pint, but can get over busy with youngsters on a Saturday night if all you are looking for is a couple of pints with the Mrs.

So loads of pubs, but not many to get excited about.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Your local pub on 09:45 - Jan 5 with 3307 viewsDorse

Your local pub on 16:45 - Jan 4 by Lush1664

I've heard good things about the old Crown, now Fontmell, from my old neighbour and pal Steve Rads! It was shite when I lived in Bedchester - bloody typical that they sort it when I've left!

Mine is now the Ship in Porthleven, Cornwall, - proper pub, well priced local beers, decent Janner wrestling wine, good food and right on the harbour side so I can keep an eye on my lad jumping in the harbour with a pint of Doombar in my hand!

Bloody hell - I should be seeing Radders tonight at the local Fathers' Support Group (aka Caged Tigers)! He's a proper Gent. His daughter babysits / guards my foul brood. PM me and I'll let him know you're still breathing!

Tis truly a small world.

The Crown was a bit of a dump at times - were you there during the Liz and Jonny, Yvonne (the horror, the horror) or the Georgie years? L and J went broke after sinking 7 figures into the house and The Fiddleford Arms, Yvonne disappeared from view (think she went back to Motcombe) and Georgie has her own livery business based in Bedchester. Still remember a brilliant evening when Georgie hooked up her Wii to the pub TV and everyone spent an evening bowling. Hilarious watching drunks (including me) taking run ups (!) and adopting the full on bowling pose.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your local pub on 10:19 - Jan 5 with 3281 viewslondonscottish

Your local pub on 08:21 - Jan 5 by Metallica_Hoop

To quote a mate of mine I was having a drink with in the Paradise. He suddenly stops talking to me looks distant and said out of the blue.

"This place is full of f'kin Poindexters"

He was correct, get there early on a Sunday though for the sun deck and it's alright.

It's an odd crowd On Thu/Fri/Sat nights. People come from miles around. And get really shouty.

It's rammed but I don't think the owners actually make much cash - a mate of mine in the business says that they shell out loads on promotion/DJ's/PR, etc

Anyway, must try it on a Sunday again.

Your local pub on 12:50 - Jan 5 with 3224 viewsYorkRanger

If ever anyone is in the York vicinity these are well worth a shout...

http://www.yorktap.com/

http://www.lambandlioninnyork.com/pub/real-ale.htm

http://www.eagleandchildyork.co.uk/

http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/Pubs/The-Three-Legged-Mare
Your local pub on 12:51 - Jan 5 with 3223 viewstoboboly

Your local pub on 17:31 - Jan 4 by brewers_hoop

I am that man! Was in there as recently as Saturday to see the second half of the Watford-City game. With 2 kids you have to take any chance you can for a swift half - even if it means braving a bear pit. In fairness, the clientele in there are generally so rat-arsed, by the time they worked out how to throw a punch you'd be long gone.

The Goose in Wood Green is also pretty lively - that's the place where those who've been barred from the two former pubs tend to congregate so can get quite interesting...

Wow. I bow to you sir. The Westbury down the road the opposite way is nice. Sell Yakima Red which is my new favourite beer.

My Mrs lives down Lordship Lane so have been dipping into the local pub scene. There's a grotty pub called The New Moon, reminded me of the dodgy IRA pub at the beginning of Withnail & I.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024