Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£180M Stick or Twist !? 18:53 - Jan 14 with 4343 viewsAl_Bundy

Probably the worst ever season to be relegated from the Premier this season considering what is due to be paying out in this league next season.

We are not adrift but well and truly in the relegation scramble to stay up.

So if you were the Swans board, would you throw some serious cash at trying to play catch up like some other teams are doing and recruit to improve our chances of staying up or would you go down the loanee route and trust the squad we have and have damage limitation if we do go down?
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 18:55 - Jan 14 with 2638 viewsdickythorpe

You'd think the rewards outweigh the risks.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:00 - Jan 14 with 2589 views3swan

It all depends whose available, loan players may be the answer if they are the best option.

As far as spending, well we have the £10m? from the Shelvey sale, you would hope that the board double that to make £20m available
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:02 - Jan 14 with 2568 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

1.The club won't go into debt & rightly so .

2. We are in a difficult postion to sign good players on contracts, you'd be taking a big risk as a player to sign for us at the moment , maybe we will lucky and someone will fancy it otherwise its loans that's the way I see it .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:11 - Jan 14 with 2511 viewsmax936

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:02 - Jan 14 by oh_tommy_tommy

2. We are in a difficult postion to sign good players on contracts, you'd be taking a big risk as a player to sign for us at the moment , maybe we will lucky and someone will fancy it otherwise its loans that's the way I see it .

We can always sell them in the summer if the worst happened, that's still not without risks though, as buying club would be after a bargain, as the thread title says, stick or twist.

Ie: sign JDG on loan and keep the Shelvey coin and diviy the profits from his sale up in the summer between the board

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:13 - Jan 14 with 2491 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The crazy thing is that the more money we've had from being in the Premier League the worse our accounts look.

If we stay up the extra money will again go to players and their agents and the club will struggle to retain any of it. If we refuse to pay the crazy wages and signing on fees we won't attract the players that can keep us up. It's a vicious circle and I'm struggling to see how we get out of it without an altruistic sugar daddy owner.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:14 - Jan 14 with 2484 viewslovejuicejack

This is a big mistake that will cost us 180 mill, normally I would agree with you but these are exceptional circumstances
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:16 - Jan 14 with 2465 viewsdickythorpe

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:14 - Jan 14 by lovejuicejack

This is a big mistake that will cost us 180 mill, normally I would agree with you but these are exceptional circumstances

I'm not saying to go into debt, but we surely must have planned best case and worst case scenario budgets?
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:16 - Jan 14 with 2465 viewsawayjack

I may well be mis-reading the accounts, but balance sheet for last year show £20+ million in debt at year end and comments on here and on the swiss ramble stuff put it down to the costs towards last season in effect borrowed against sky revenues due for this season. Happy to be proved wrong but don't understand the 'club won't go into debt' statement that's often used when we were £20m+ in debt last year? We've also just flogged JJS for £12m so surely some of this be re-invested in new players.

I do understand it won't be easy to attract the best players but competitors in the relegation zone don't seem to have the same problems signing decent players. Why are we so different?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 19:22]
Login to get fewer ads

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:22 - Jan 14 with 2398 viewsmax936

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:16 - Jan 14 by dickythorpe

I'm not saying to go into debt, but we surely must have planned best case and worst case scenario budgets?

Unless they're very naïve.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:25 - Jan 14 with 2357 viewsImAlrightJack

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:13 - Jan 14 by Joe_bradshaw

The crazy thing is that the more money we've had from being in the Premier League the worse our accounts look.

If we stay up the extra money will again go to players and their agents and the club will struggle to retain any of it. If we refuse to pay the crazy wages and signing on fees we won't attract the players that can keep us up. It's a vicious circle and I'm struggling to see how we get out of it without an altruistic sugar daddy owner.

Good post.

I've always said niche business models are not the way forward in the Prem, such as a trust, you need a sugar daddy in today's football financial climate. Times are changing, this isn't the 80s where supporters trusts are good to keep you in a good financial stead, there was hardly any money in the game back then.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:26 - Jan 14 with 2348 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hilarious, the club won't go into (more) debt to save the club's Premier role and yet they have run up a £65M debt getting us in to the position we are now.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:27 - Jan 14 with 2325 viewsAnotherJohn

What worries me is that relegation may signal a large financial deficit, even if we do not spend now. So this may be an extra dimension in the gamble. It would have been so much easier to shell out another £7m or so (to add to the Eder £5m) and have signed a decent second striker last summer.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:28 - Jan 14 with 2318 viewsDarran

Do people actually believe that next seasons tv money will make us a rich club then?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:29 - Jan 14 with 2300 views3swan

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:28 - Jan 14 by Darran

Do people actually believe that next seasons tv money will make us a rich club then?

100% NO

It will just go out to players and agents
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:30 - Jan 14 with 2292 viewsImAlrightJack

Never thought it the once, most of it will go to "big 4" teams anyway.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:30 - Jan 14 with 2284 viewsDarran

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:29 - Jan 14 by 3swan

100% NO

It will just go out to players and agents

I thank you my friend and I wholeheartedly concur.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:31 - Jan 14 with 2266 views3swan

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:30 - Jan 14 by Darran

I thank you my friend and I wholeheartedly concur.

Thanks for the £10

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:32 - Jan 14 with 2252 viewsDr_Winston

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:14 - Jan 14 by lovejuicejack

No they aren't.

Risking the club's long term future is a complete non-starter, no matter the potential future rewards.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:36 - Jan 14 with 2213 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Of course it won't make the club rich, but it will allow the club to continue improvements and pay off our debtors.
As I have just written on the other thread about Championship football how the hell do you expect the club to pay of that £65M on Championship earnings?
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:41 - Jan 14 with 2168 viewsThursday

The worst ever season to be relegated from the Premier is always the current one.
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:42 - Jan 14 with 2147 viewsFlashberryjack

Answer 1
No I don't think it will make us a richer club....but it will make the gap greater between
ourselves and the vast majority of championship clubs.

Answer 2
No I don't think it will make us richer as a club....but it might make the directors a little richer.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:44 - Jan 14 with 2131 viewsunion_jack

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:13 - Jan 14 by Joe_bradshaw

At last!! Some sense.

Excellent points, well made.

Really, without external funding we can't survive much longer in the PL. it's impossible. Even the Championship clubs will have more money at their disposal than us.

And the extra Sky money is going to make the situation worse probably because, as you rightly say, only the players and agents are going to benefit. Everything will increase in price accordingly. As if it isn't obscene enough already!.,

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:51 - Jan 14 with 2092 viewsA_Fans_Dad

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:44 - Jan 14 by union_jack

At last!! Some sense.

Excellent points, well made.

Really, without external funding we can't survive much longer in the PL. it's impossible. Even the Championship clubs will have more money at their disposal than us.

And the extra Sky money is going to make the situation worse probably because, as you rightly say, only the players and agents are going to benefit. Everything will increase in price accordingly. As if it isn't obscene enough already!.,

So I will ask you the same question.
How will you service the £65M debt with Championship earnings?
£180M Stick or Twist !? on 20:18 - Jan 14 with 2008 viewsunion_jack

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:51 - Jan 14 by A_Fans_Dad

So I will ask you the same question.
How will you service the £65M debt with Championship earnings?

You wouldn't. Staying in PL is only a stay of execution though unless external funding is sourced.

I don't like the idea of 'investors' but just about every other club in the top flight(s) have them, so????

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 20:21 - Jan 14 with 1984 viewsHugeEnkins

£180M Stick or Twist !? on 19:36 - Jan 14 by A_Fans_Dad

Of course it won't make the club rich, but it will allow the club to continue improvements and pay off our debtors.
As I have just written on the other thread about Championship football how the hell do you expect the club to pay of that £65M on Championship earnings?

We could spend our way out of debt? you know, buy a team to get promoted?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024