Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tenerife 09:06 - Jul 1 with 15493 viewsleedsdale

Leighanne's diary is online for day 1 of the trip: http://mobile.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/tenerife-2016-diary-day-1-3

She mentions 27 players making the trip; by my reckoning we have 21 contracted players (including Collis and BBM), 3 scholars have made the trip and River Humphreys doesn't join up until after Tenerife, so potentially there are three triallists? Hopefully we will find out their identity in the next diary
Tenerife on 12:25 - Jul 4 with 3827 viewsStudiousDale

There's someone out there wearing the #53 who I didn't recognise. Anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/officially.rochdale/photos/pcb.1234701406570259/1234700
Tenerife on 12:45 - Jul 4 with 3740 viewsnordenblue

Tenerife on 12:25 - Jul 4 by StudiousDale

https://www.facebook.com/officially.rochdale/photos/pcb.1234701406570259/1234700

Second year scholar apparently?
Tenerife on 12:56 - Jul 4 with 3710 viewsboromat

I wonder if the lad from Oldham Wilson has travelled as a trialist? We were rumoured to be interested in him.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Tenerife on 14:54 - Jul 4 with 3574 viewsChaffRAFC

Tenerife on 12:25 - Jul 4 by StudiousDale

Jack Stewart, second year scholar.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Tenerife on 16:51 - Jul 4 with 3405 viewsstigmundo77

Is is April - Holness? I always thought he did a good job for us at the best of times, but REALLY ?
Tenerife on 17:11 - Jul 4 with 3352 views442Dale

Tenerife on 07:36 - Jul 4 by nordenblue

Hill trusted Olly Lancashire another good centre half in his own right too?......

Players player can be for the effort he put in or the improvement he made not necessarily the BEST player,highlighted by the far better players who were in that team back then who didn't win the award.

Bob had the turning circle of the QE2 and the reactions to match,he was OK at winning the initial first header but if anything happened after that he was lost
[Post edited 4 Jul 2016 7:44]

Lancashire in L1 was nowhere near as good as Holness was during that season. Again, this is not about us looking at him six years later as I have similar reservations, more that when a player played very well he's recognised for it. In 10/11 Holness did exactly that and despite the likes of O'Grady performing miracles up front on his own, Jones scoring 18 goals and Dawson continuing his improvement, those players thought Holness was deserving of an award.

He was poor the year after under Eyre, but he was never lost under Hill in our first season in L1.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tenerife on 19:00 - Jul 4 with 3175 viewsboromat

Holness as a squad player could be very good. He's experienced knows the Rochdale way and how Hilly operates. He could be a good influence on the younger players especially the new lad Harrison. Would I want him to play every week? Only if he finds the form he had previously under Hilly.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Tenerife on 19:05 - Jul 4 with 3159 views100notout

Tenerife on 17:11 - Jul 4 by 442Dale

Lancashire in L1 was nowhere near as good as Holness was during that season. Again, this is not about us looking at him six years later as I have similar reservations, more that when a player played very well he's recognised for it. In 10/11 Holness did exactly that and despite the likes of O'Grady performing miracles up front on his own, Jones scoring 18 goals and Dawson continuing his improvement, those players thought Holness was deserving of an award.

He was poor the year after under Eyre, but he was never lost under Hill in our first season in L1.

Holness is a great example of Keith Hill doing what Keith Hill does best - he gets the maximum out of his players - an increasingly rare but invaluable skill in management

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Login to get fewer ads

Tenerife on 19:08 - Jul 4 with 3146 views442Dale

Tenerife on 19:00 - Jul 4 by boromat

Holness as a squad player could be very good. He's experienced knows the Rochdale way and how Hilly operates. He could be a good influence on the younger players especially the new lad Harrison. Would I want him to play every week? Only if he finds the form he had previously under Hilly.

I'm surprised we're looking at him, especially as the playing budget may have been bolstered and we've Lancashire's and Eastham's wages to play with out of those players offered contracts.

Tenerife on 19:40 - Jul 4 with 3079 viewsSuddenLad

Has anyone considered the possibility that Marcus might be there to gain experience before turning to coaching or other back room position? He may well have asked KH for the chance to cut his teeth on the next step of his career ladder.

BBM is still registered as a player. Dual purpose role.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Tenerife on 19:46 - Jul 4 with 3059 viewsnordenblue

Tenerife on 17:11 - Jul 4 by 442Dale

Very true but players player can solely be who's put the most effort in over the season,there's a massive difference in effort and talent.(George Donnelly)

There are far far better defenders available to us than someone whos had perhaps 1 decent season 6 years ago,even more so considering the finances we currently have to use.
Tenerife on 19:52 - Jul 4 with 3036 views442Dale

Tenerife on 19:46 - Jul 4 by nordenblue

Very true but players player can solely be who's put the most effort in over the season,there's a massive difference in effort and talent.(George Donnelly)

There are far far better defenders available to us than someone whos had perhaps 1 decent season 6 years ago,even more so considering the finances we currently have to use.

Agree entirely on the second paragraph. We won't ever on the first though! There was plenty of defensive ability shown that season, Holness was one of our best players in a team that over-achieved. Maybe that's what he did too, but it's definitely revisionist history to say he was anything other than very good in that campaign.

Tenerife on 20:14 - Jul 4 with 2980 viewsnordenblue

Tenerife on 19:52 - Jul 4 by 442Dale

Agree entirely on the second paragraph. We won't ever on the first though! There was plenty of defensive ability shown that season, Holness was one of our best players in a team that over-achieved. Maybe that's what he did too, but it's definitely revisionist history to say he was anything other than very good in that campaign.

That's what it's all about opinions 442,I just thought at the time and still do he was bang average at best but then I thought McArdle was exactly the same.
To compare I'd put Eastham clearly above them both who again hardly pulled up any trees but was much more solid all round.

Personally he'd be lucky to make my top 15 centre half's in the last 20 years,but then again it is all about opinions
Tenerife on 20:20 - Jul 4 with 2958 views442Dale

Tenerife on 20:14 - Jul 4 by nordenblue

That's what it's all about opinions 442,I just thought at the time and still do he was bang average at best but then I thought McArdle was exactly the same.
To compare I'd put Eastham clearly above them both who again hardly pulled up any trees but was much more solid all round.

Personally he'd be lucky to make my top 15 centre half's in the last 20 years,but then again it is all about opinions

McArdle had his best form in the Wembley season, though he was horrifically bad the year after. To blame for so many goals. Convinced that if he hadn't got injured, we'd have fallen short again instead of going up in 09/10.

Bradford suits him. No need to think when defending.

Tenerife on 21:12 - Jul 4 with 2852 viewsTVOS1907

Tenerife on 19:46 - Jul 4 by nordenblue

... allegedly!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tenerife on 21:19 - Jul 4 with 2836 viewsTalkingSutty

Tenerife on 19:40 - Jul 4 by SuddenLad

Has anyone considered the possibility that Marcus might be there to gain experience before turning to coaching or other back room position? He may well have asked KH for the chance to cut his teeth on the next step of his career ladder.

BBM is still registered as a player. Dual purpose role.

No,sounds like grasping at straws to me,but I hope you're right. Your post has given me fresh hope though, i love a positive spin. Out of interest would you be happy with seeing BBM and Holness turning out for the first eleven, we should be better than that now, we've moved forward.

I can just about understand BBM keeping his playing registration,but I thought I'd honestly seen the last of Bob,so all of this as come as a big surprise and is going to take a bit of getting used to again.

Maybe Hill just wants to boost the squad numbers to facilitate the new loan rules which come into place next season and needs a couple of cheap options who are willing to be on the fringes of the starting eleven to cover any injury crisis. Not sure but I think we might have to carry a bigger squad this season as a result of the changes.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2016 22:25]
Tenerife on 21:35 - Jul 4 with 2788 views1907

Leighanne is doing her best to avoid getting any of the trialists on camera anyway!
Tenerife on 22:16 - Jul 4 with 2698 viewslloydrafc

Tenerife on 21:35 - Jul 4 by 1907

Leighanne is doing her best to avoid getting any of the trialists on camera anyway!

I've noticed hat I've been trying to spot them on pictures haha 😂😂
Tenerife on 05:42 - Jul 5 with 2537 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Tenerife on 21:19 - Jul 4 by TalkingSutty

No,sounds like grasping at straws to me,but I hope you're right. Your post has given me fresh hope though, i love a positive spin. Out of interest would you be happy with seeing BBM and Holness turning out for the first eleven, we should be better than that now, we've moved forward.

I can just about understand BBM keeping his playing registration,but I thought I'd honestly seen the last of Bob,so all of this as come as a big surprise and is going to take a bit of getting used to again.

Maybe Hill just wants to boost the squad numbers to facilitate the new loan rules which come into place next season and needs a couple of cheap options who are willing to be on the fringes of the starting eleven to cover any injury crisis. Not sure but I think we might have to carry a bigger squad this season as a result of the changes.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2016 22:25]

I think your last paragraph is exactly why Bob is on trial TS.

Forth choice CH and a bit of experience to help bring the youngsters on in the reserve/bounce games.

If Michael Rose doesn't get fixed up, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back too!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Tenerife on 06:31 - Jul 5 with 2512 viewsTalkingSutty

Tenerife on 05:42 - Jul 5 by SteTsGoldenBoot

I think your last paragraph is exactly why Bob is on trial TS.

Forth choice CH and a bit of experience to help bring the youngsters on in the reserve/bounce games.

If Michael Rose doesn't get fixed up, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back too!

If that is the case then fair enough but he's still got to be capable of coming into the team and performing at League One level. What's Nathan Stanton up to these days? I was never a big Holness fan ( we can't rate every player who passes through the Club) and even at his peak I still wasn't convinced he was good enough at this level. It's all about opinions and we've all got one.

Anyway, if he does sign for us obviously he will get my 100% support for the fully 90 minutes ( not injury time) and I hope he proves the doubters wrong. Once they pull the Dale shirt on that should be a given. At the end of the day Hills got a lot more insight and footballing knowledge than we will ever have so we've got to trust him on this one.

I'm anticipating the signing of One or two established Centre backs to replace Eastham and Lancashire before the season starts though, or is that being optimistic? The amount of wages we've off loaded since the end of the season must give us scope to be able to do that

Regarding Michael Rose,i would have him back in a heartbeat.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2016 6:35]
Tenerife on 12:17 - Jul 5 with 2236 viewsAtThePeake

Tenerife on 06:31 - Jul 5 by TalkingSutty

If that is the case then fair enough but he's still got to be capable of coming into the team and performing at League One level. What's Nathan Stanton up to these days? I was never a big Holness fan ( we can't rate every player who passes through the Club) and even at his peak I still wasn't convinced he was good enough at this level. It's all about opinions and we've all got one.

Anyway, if he does sign for us obviously he will get my 100% support for the fully 90 minutes ( not injury time) and I hope he proves the doubters wrong. Once they pull the Dale shirt on that should be a given. At the end of the day Hills got a lot more insight and footballing knowledge than we will ever have so we've got to trust him on this one.

I'm anticipating the signing of One or two established Centre backs to replace Eastham and Lancashire before the season starts though, or is that being optimistic? The amount of wages we've off loaded since the end of the season must give us scope to be able to do that

Regarding Michael Rose,i would have him back in a heartbeat.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2016 6:35]

I think it's being optimistic. I think both Canavan and (judging from his interview and Hill's comments) McGahey will both expect to start.

We will more than likely see one more CB come in at least but I expect as a back-up.

Tangled up in blue.

Tenerife on 15:49 - Jul 5 with 2049 viewsTalkingSutty

Tenerife on 12:17 - Jul 5 by AtThePeake

I think it's being optimistic. I think both Canavan and (judging from his interview and Hill's comments) McGahey will both expect to start.

We will more than likely see one more CB come in at least but I expect as a back-up.

Forgot all about McGahey. Agree, one more CB.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024