Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maidstone Comment 12:31 - Nov 24 with 7294 viewsNewtonDale

First time post so please be gentle!
I can't get a comment that I saw on the Maidstone chat site out of my head when the draw for the 1st round of the FA Cup was being made and they found out they were getting us.
The comment was along the lines of "what the hell are Rochdale doing near the top of League 1 and the Championship?!!!"
I thought cheeky gits, we deserve it. Wasn't happy at all with the poster.
Over the past 30 years most teams have moved around apart from the main stays in the old 1st division (now prem league).
Swindon - used to be in top league and managed by Hoddle
Oxford - I remember putting Panini stickers of the team in a book in the mid 80s when they were in the 1st div!
Yeovil - they were giant killers in the cup from non-league
Sheffield United, Bolton and Wigan in the Prem
Doncaster in the championship
I could go on and on.
Ahh feels better now I've got that off my chest!
Maidstone Comment on 12:39 - Nov 24 with 6154 viewsDaleiLama

Plenty of odd comments on there I agree. They are soft (in the head) southerners ....... virtually French ........ I adjusted my expectations accordingly!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Maidstone Comment on 13:05 - Nov 24 with 6079 viewsNewtonDale

Maidstone Comment on 12:39 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

Plenty of odd comments on there I agree. They are soft (in the head) southerners ....... virtually French ........ I adjusted my expectations accordingly!

Very true
Maidstone Comment on 13:09 - Nov 24 with 6068 viewsmoth5368

To be fair I look at out attendances, what we pay and pay for our players, see how well managed financially we are & I wonder how the hell we're near the top of league one. Only one answer, Keith Hill.
Maidstone Comment on 15:21 - Nov 24 with 5852 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 13:09 - Nov 24 by moth5368

To be fair I look at out attendances, what we pay and pay for our players, see how well managed financially we are & I wonder how the hell we're near the top of league one. Only one answer, Keith Hill.

it would be amazing in a normal season, but add in the "bare bones" effect and it beggars belief sometimes. It isn't just next man up, he's also thrown the young uns into the mix too. What is even more remarkable is they fit right into the system and we haven't lost a step - in fact we look more irresistible going forward and have defended well in numbers (with the obvious exception of Bratfud). Just hope we can translate this form into more away fixtures now.

Maidstone Comment on 15:21 - Nov 24 with 5851 viewsaleanddale

Welcome to the messageboard Newton.

I thought they were fine the fans who came up for the replay.

They were unlucky in the initial tie but we really should have been 4-0 up at half time in the replay.

They have aspirations of a new stand and league football. Good luck to them.

35 years ago similar clubs... 2016 we are gulfs apart.
Maidstone Comment on 16:34 - Nov 24 with 5747 viewsD_Alien

Maidstone Comment on 15:21 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

it would be amazing in a normal season, but add in the "bare bones" effect and it beggars belief sometimes. It isn't just next man up, he's also thrown the young uns into the mix too. What is even more remarkable is they fit right into the system and we haven't lost a step - in fact we look more irresistible going forward and have defended well in numbers (with the obvious exception of Bratfud). Just hope we can translate this form into more away fixtures now.

There's nowt like looking irresistible going forward

I suspect this is a season where our form will be pretty inconsistent - that's certainly the pattern to date. When we're hot we're hot (going forward...) but our style of play possibly leaves us open to more defeats. So be it. It's more exciting and entertaining than the 'ball-retention' style which helped stabilise our status in L1 but which, due to a combination of injuries/suspensions and also simply because we've found our feet in the division, has become unnecessary - and much less predictable for our opponents to deal with

It means we could finish anywhere, but more likely to finish in the top six than before. It's also far more likely to bring back lapsed fans and to attract new ones. It's been noticeable how this messageboard has seen a few people posting in the past couple of weeks who hadn't for a while

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Maidstone Comment on 17:05 - Nov 24 with 5686 viewsfermin

I suppose it depends how you take it or the context - it could be a compliment! As someone with their formative Dale years in the late 70s and 80s I also find it amazing that we are where we are with our limited resources. I sometimes have to try and put things in historical perspective when we go through a bad patch in League 1, like the beginning of this season.
Maidstone Comment on 17:51 - Nov 24 with 5606 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 16:34 - Nov 24 by D_Alien

There's nowt like looking irresistible going forward

I suspect this is a season where our form will be pretty inconsistent - that's certainly the pattern to date. When we're hot we're hot (going forward...) but our style of play possibly leaves us open to more defeats. So be it. It's more exciting and entertaining than the 'ball-retention' style which helped stabilise our status in L1 but which, due to a combination of injuries/suspensions and also simply because we've found our feet in the division, has become unnecessary - and much less predictable for our opponents to deal with

It means we could finish anywhere, but more likely to finish in the top six than before. It's also far more likely to bring back lapsed fans and to attract new ones. It's been noticeable how this messageboard has seen a few people posting in the past couple of weeks who hadn't for a while

We seem (not checked admittedly) more consistently inconsistent last year after a good start. But anyroad, I agree with the contention that a W and a worst case L is better than 2 Ds. Also agree that if you are going to have a £100 1/2 season ticket, then play some attractive footy and keep the returning fans interested. Hilly channelling his inner Robbie?

Login to get fewer ads

Maidstone Comment on 17:56 - Nov 24 with 5600 viewsD_Alien

Maidstone Comment on 17:51 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

We seem (not checked admittedly) more consistently inconsistent last year after a good start. But anyroad, I agree with the contention that a W and a worst case L is better than 2 Ds. Also agree that if you are going to have a £100 1/2 season ticket, then play some attractive footy and keep the returning fans interested. Hilly channelling his inner Robbie?

Bet he'd rather channel this Robbie

Maidstone Comment on 18:07 - Nov 24 with 5569 viewsDaley_Lama

Top of the home league table 22 points
18th in the away league table 8 points

Poll: DF in or out

Maidstone Comment on 18:12 - Nov 24 with 5556 viewsboromat

But for all the attractive football and now half season tickets the attendance's have gone down and not up! When's the first match of the half season ticket? Anyone know how they're selling?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Maidstone Comment on 18:16 - Nov 24 with 5559 viewsD_Dale

Maidstone Comment on 13:09 - Nov 24 by moth5368

In a game where money is thought of as the route to success, it's easy to see why fans of clubs that have been in the first or second tier and are now in the fourth (Portsmouth, Luton, Doncaster, Plymouth, Notts County, Carlisle etc) or fifth tier (York, Tranmere) might be bemused by Dale's higher position.

Long may we defy (football's) law of gravity!
Maidstone Comment on 18:22 - Nov 24 with 5538 viewsDaley_Lama

Maidstone Comment on 18:12 - Nov 24 by boromat

But for all the attractive football and now half season tickets the attendance's have gone down and not up! When's the first match of the half season ticket? Anyone know how they're selling?

First game is Shrews at home.

On Nov 4th the club announced that we had sold approx 60

Maidstone Comment on 18:29 - Nov 24 with 5510 viewsmoth5368

Maidstone Comment on 15:21 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

I wonder if this is part of the reason for success, the no fear approach.
Maidstone Comment on 18:31 - Nov 24 with 5508 viewsD_Alien

Maidstone Comment on 18:16 - Nov 24 by D_Dale

In a game where money is thought of as the route to success, it's easy to see why fans of clubs that have been in the first or second tier and are now in the fourth (Portsmouth, Luton, Doncaster, Plymouth, Notts County, Carlisle etc) or fifth tier (York, Tranmere) might be bemused by Dale's higher position.

Long may we defy (football's) law of gravity!

Perhaps our newest poster, NewtonDale, might wish to comment?

Maidstone Comment on 18:41 - Nov 24 with 5469 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 18:07 - Nov 24 by Daley_Lama

Top of the home league table 22 points
18th in the away league table 8 points

Stark contrast. Do you have last years numbers - we seemed to be better away last year?

Maidstone Comment on 18:43 - Nov 24 with 5464 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 18:29 - Nov 24 by moth5368

I wonder if this is part of the reason for success, the no fear approach.

Could be. We respected Bolton and at some times we played backs to the wall stuff, but we also had a go at them and got the reward for it. The more I think back, the better that 3 points was!

Maidstone Comment on 19:28 - Nov 24 with 5361 viewsSuddenLad

Maidstone Comment on 18:22 - Nov 24 by Daley_Lama

At the recent youth team FA Cup match I was told that sales had exceeded 100, but I don't know by how far.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Maidstone Comment on 19:41 - Nov 24 with 5321 viewsdingdangblue

Maidstone Comment on 18:22 - Nov 24 by Daley_Lama

I've heard 100 mentioned somewhere? If ever there was a season we needed to progress to the 3rd round of the cup and get a 'BIGGIE' - its this one!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Maidstone Comment on 19:58 - Nov 24 with 5272 viewsDaley_Lama

Maidstone Comment on 18:41 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

Stark contrast. Do you have last years numbers - we seemed to be better away last year?

7th at home 42 points
14th away 27 points

Maidstone Comment on 20:05 - Nov 24 with 5253 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 19:58 - Nov 24 by Daley_Lama

7th at home 42 points
14th away 27 points

Grassy arse.

Maidstone Comment on 08:03 - Nov 25 with 5012 views1907

Maidstone Comment on 18:43 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

Could be. We respected Bolton and at some times we played backs to the wall stuff, but we also had a go at them and got the reward for it. The more I think back, the better that 3 points was!

Agreed. Unbelievable night.
Maidstone Comment on 11:25 - Nov 25 with 4890 viewsNewtonDale

Maidstone Comment on 15:21 - Nov 24 by aleanddale

Welcome to the messageboard Newton.

I thought they were fine the fans who came up for the replay.

They were unlucky in the initial tie but we really should have been 4-0 up at half time in the replay.

They have aspirations of a new stand and league football. Good luck to them.

35 years ago similar clubs... 2016 we are gulfs apart.

Thanks aleanddale - I will rack my brains to post some more interesting threads in the future!
Maidstone Comment on 15:50 - Nov 25 with 4765 viewsDaleiLama

Maidstone Comment on 11:25 - Nov 25 by NewtonDale

Thanks aleanddale - I will rack my brains to post some more interesting threads in the future!

........... just as long as the thread doesn't include Dale and "what goes up must come down"

(if it's related to Bury's promotion last season and the above phenomenon, however, that would be fine!)

Maidstone Comment on 15:53 - Nov 25 with 4757 viewsjudd

Maidstone Comment on 15:50 - Nov 25 by DaleiLama

........... just as long as the thread doesn't include Dale and "what goes up must come down"

(if it's related to Bury's promotion last season and the above phenomenon, however, that would be fine!)

bury didn't get promoted last season.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024