Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Fred Wimbledon 16:22 - Mar 28 with 22565 viewsSandyman

Commentary on Radio Manchester FM tonight
Match Fred Wimbledon on 09:03 - Mar 29 with 2073 viewsdingdangblue

Match Fred Wimbledon on 08:37 - Mar 29 by fermin

Wasn't at the game nor listening to the commentary, but I feared the worst when I saw Keane had been sent off at half time. As we hadn't scored it was going to be difficult for us to get anything with 10 when we can't defend with 11.

From the Wimbledon forum it appears they were not generally that happy with their performance (apart from the goals) and commented that it looked like they were playing with ten men after they went 3-0 up. Some other observations from there:

'Keith Hill came off at ht saying to his directors "it's happening again". I presume he meant his team were playing dirty bastards & not getting away with it. Certainly their directors weren't happy with the refs performance, but we couldn't see too much wrong with it. '

People on here saying our bookings were deserved so take their word for it, but from my experience of reading their forum off and on over the years is that they think almost every opposition is dirty while failing to see anything bad (in terms of fouls etc) done by their team. I think we tend to be far more objective in comparison.

'I couldn't understand why they switched Mendez-Laing from the left wing to the right as he was running Francomb ragged for the first ten minutes and and I feared we were in for a severe beating, especially because he was also putting dangerous balls across our 6yd box. They shot themselves in the foot with that one.' 'He was going past Francomb as if he wasn't there. Not so much Francomb on toast as a three course meal of Francomb, Francomb and Francomb with Francomb sorbet in between '

'Almost as strange as to move Calvin Andrew to left back when 3-0 down. Or to take Mendez-Laing off at 3-1 '

Even the opposition fans notice our weird defensive selections!

I wouldn't say taking Mendez Laing off was strange - he rarely plays the full 90 and he's also played a lot of football these last few weeks after months of not being involved - it sounded like Cannon and Rathbone added much needed energy in the last 20 mins. Andrew has filled in at leftback in Bunney's absence so that was also not that strange.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Fred Wimbledon on 09:05 - Mar 29 with 2071 viewsThacks_Rabbits

In defence of Keanes second booking, having watched it couple of dozen times on sky, with benefit of pause etc. Its a fantastic challenge, he just gets the ball, and the Wimbledon player, who in fairness is a split second later continuing to run with the ball goes over. Keane suggests a dive but it was not and no way a second yellow. You can question the sense of the challenge but he 100% got the ball.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Fred Wimbledon on 09:47 - Mar 29 with 1977 viewsNigeriamark

Wasn't at the game nor listening to the commentary, but I feared the worst when I saw Keane had been sent off at half time. As we hadn't scored it was going to be difficult for us to get anything with 10 when we can't defend with 11.

From the Wimbledon forum it appears they were not generally that happy with their performance (apart from the goals) and commented that it looked like they were playing with ten men after they went 3-0 up. Some other observations from there:

'Keith Hill came off at ht saying to his directors "it's happening again". I presume he meant his team were playing dirty bastards & not getting away with it. Certainly their directors weren't happy with the refs performance, but we couldn't see too much wrong with it. '

People on here saying our bookings were deserved so take their word for it, but from my experience of reading their forum off and on over the years is that they think almost every opposition is dirty while failing to see anything bad (in terms of fouls etc) done by their team. I think we tend to be far more objective in comparison.

'I couldn't understand why they switched Mendez-Laing from the left wing to the right as he was running Francomb ragged for the first ten minutes and and I feared we were in for a severe beating, especially because he was also putting dangerous balls across our 6yd box. They shot themselves in the foot with that one.' 'He was going past Francomb as if he wasn't there. Not so much Francomb on toast as a three course meal of Francomb, Francomb and Francomb with Francomb sorbet in between '

'Almost as strange as to move Calvin Andrew to left back when 3-0 down. Or to take Mendez-Laing off at 3-1 '

what makes his tinkering with defense and defensive tactics all the more mystifying is the fact that he was a non-nonsense defender himself, so not the area you would have thought he would be struggling
Match Fred Wimbledon on 14:11 - Mar 29 with 1672 viewsTVOS1907

"People on here saying our bookings were deserved so take their word for it"

To be fair, people on here generally came to that conclusion from the excellent and fair commentary on Radio Manchester.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:24 - Mar 29 with 1543 viewsaleanddale

Match Fred Wimbledon on 09:05 - Mar 29 by Thacks_Rabbits

In defence of Keanes second booking, having watched it couple of dozen times on sky, with benefit of pause etc. Its a fantastic challenge, he just gets the ball, and the Wimbledon player, who in fairness is a split second later continuing to run with the ball goes over. Keane suggests a dive but it was not and no way a second yellow. You can question the sense of the challenge but he 100% got the ball.

100% I agree with this.

I think it was an absolutely fantastic challenge and the speed the guy is running at means he cartwheels over 3 times ( momentum )

I mentioned this earlier as Dale tinted specs.
Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:33 - Mar 29 with 1526 viewsTVOS1907

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:24 - Mar 29 by aleanddale

100% I agree with this.

I think it was an absolutely fantastic challenge and the speed the guy is running at means he cartwheels over 3 times ( momentum )

The commentator on Radio Manchester thought he was booked for his reaction to the referee rather than the tackle.

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:46 - Mar 29 with 1501 views442Dale

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:24 - Mar 29 by aleanddale

100% I agree with this.

It's not fantastic if the ball remains travelling in the same direction, which without the contact on the player would have enabled him to carry on towards our goal.

Keane's reaction is enough to illustrate the decisions were correct:

"Absolutely gutted to have let the boys,staff and fans down tonight by getting sent off thought we were the better team up until that point"

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:58 - Mar 29 with 1469 views442Dale

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:33 - Mar 29 by TVOS1907

The commentator on Radio Manchester thought he was booked for his reaction to the referee rather than the tackle.

That's the first challenge I think... which in itself was worthy of a yellow anyway!

3 yellows and a red. It's like Connect 4 gone wrong.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Match Fred Wimbledon on 16:00 - Mar 29 with 1467 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:46 - Mar 29 by 442Dale

It's not fantastic if the ball remains travelling in the same direction, which without the contact on the player would have enabled him to carry on towards our goal.

Keane's reaction is enough to illustrate the decisions were correct:

"Absolutely gutted to have let the boys,staff and fans down tonight by getting sent off thought we were the better team up until that point"

Still think he got the ball and it clearly changes direction. It was a very tight one though and maybe Keane feels that making the decision to tackle there makes him feel he has let team down. I can't blame the ref, dons player or anyone else as at full speed with 1 look it's a booking. Part of the game things go against you sometimes

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Fred Wimbledon on 16:19 - Mar 29 with 1436 viewsdingdangblue

Match Fred Wimbledon on 16:00 - Mar 29 by Thacks_Rabbits

Still think he got the ball and it clearly changes direction. It was a very tight one though and maybe Keane feels that making the decision to tackle there makes him feel he has let team down. I can't blame the ref, dons player or anyone else as at full speed with 1 look it's a booking. Part of the game things go against you sometimes

The thing is with him being on a yellow card he can't make that challenge - the risk of mistiming it is massive. He's got to let him go past and take a chance that he won't score. 1-0 down isn't a disaster. 1 man down and a 2 game ban is.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Fred Wimbledon on 16:54 - Mar 29 with 1370 viewsaleanddale

Match Fred Wimbledon on 15:33 - Mar 29 by TVOS1907

Nah.... He reacts after the 2nd yellow was brandished...

First tackle yellow all day long...

The second one looks harsh to me but opinions eh!! ( and I have watched 10 times and freeze framed - a luxury the referee does not have )

Can see why he has walked but I recon he is slightly hard done by.
Match Fred Wimbledon on 17:40 - Mar 29 with 1300 viewsTVOS1907

Match Fred Wimbledon on 16:54 - Mar 29 by aleanddale

Nah.... He reacts after the 2nd yellow was brandished...

First tackle yellow all day long...

The second one looks harsh to me but opinions eh!! ( and I have watched 10 times and freeze framed - a luxury the referee does not have )

Can see why he has walked but I recon he is slightly hard done by.

I'm only reporting what I listened to on the wireless last night. The commentator and summariser both said the same thing about the first yellow - that Keane's reaction was probably what earned him the card.

I haven't watched the highlights back yet, though, due to other commitments.

Match Fred Wimbledon on 18:51 - Mar 29 with 1241 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Think it's all instict dingdangdale. In my time playing your instinct was to tackle if you thought you can get the ball. Agree on yellow it was rash but on another day it's a goal saving challenge. I don't think you can train a player not to do that. Instinct kicks in. I think he was unlucky on this occasion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024