Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really do despair at times. 23:23 - Nov 21 with 12833 viewsSnipper

I've seen many posts on facebook over the last few days, and especially tonight, saying that Holloway has to go. Even saying that we should never have got him back.
Yet the same people want Gerry Francis to return and to bring Tony Pulis with him.

I don't particularly like the situation that we're in but, WE DON'T HAVE ANY BLOODY MONEY!!

WE'RE GOING TO BE IN THIS MESS FOR A LONG TIME YET. WE HAVE A £40M FINE HANGING OVER US FFS. LET ME SAY IT AGAIN, WE HAVE NO BLOODY MONEY!!

GET FRANCIS IN, GET PULIS IN, GET CHARLIE AUSTIN BACK FFS.

WE HAVE NO FCKING MONEY YOU DIMWITS 😡😡😡.
I really do despair at times. on 11:26 - Nov 22 with 1889 viewspeejaybee

I really do despair at times. on 06:38 - Nov 22 by WestbourneR

I think we can do better than Ian Holloway.

With who ?????????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

I really do despair at times. on 11:30 - Nov 22 with 1878 viewsJuzzie

Don't do Twitter and although I'm on FB I ignore any football/QPR related pages. Result? My sanity remains intact. Why put yourself through that, it seems some people like to just get themselves wound up.

edit: I know football is emotional and fans like to think they have attachment to the club but the reality is there's absolutely fk all, literally nothing, we can do to influence what goes on unless we can chip in with £10m and get on the board yet you have fans phoning 999 because their club lost again. Gobsmacked.

What an absolute sense of entitlement some fans have become.

[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 11:35]
I really do despair at times. on 11:35 - Nov 22 with 1853 viewspaulparker

its all about avoiding relegation imo
what we are is a hard working side who lack decent quality in the final third
didn't understand the choice of Yenni if your going to give him a 5 game run out that's fair enough but we all know he will be back on the bench for the next 10 games , so pointless starting him especially as he will most likely be of in Jan
it seems we are going down the "bonus "game route when it comes to away games

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

I really do despair at times. on 11:47 - Nov 22 with 1829 viewsDorse

I really do despair at times. on 06:38 - Nov 22 by WestbourneR

I think we can do better than Ian Holloway.

Really? I wouldn't trust us.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

I really do despair at times. on 12:08 - Nov 22 with 1788 viewsoldmisery

I really do despair at times. on 01:23 - Nov 22 by karl

I'm sure I had that on me chips last night.

Speaking offline to DistortR (I won't tell them any secrets....) and it is a shame Ollie doesnt trust the younger players enough. They should have been bled into the set up more than they have so that the inevitable Championship injury list doesn't leave us so short of squad players who can step up.
Having a big squad is worthless if they're not trusted to step up, imo in the championship a 20-22 yr old shouldn't be on the books if they don't get game time and you're better off chucking an 18 yr old in than keeping these boys hanging on forever. I know they'll be paid very little but why bother frankly?
I'm not slagging Ollie overall but his use of youth has always been a worry really , a win against Brentford and we're back on track of course.

The thing is, it's not just Ollie is it. We have a lot of previous via many different Managers over the years. There have been some exceptions such as The Doc who introduced Allen & Goddard into the First Team in about 1979 and either Francis or Wilkins who promoted Gallen & Dichio in about 1994/5 but you really have to go back to Alec Stock who promoted the Morgan Twins, Ron Hunt, Frank Sibley Tony Hazell etc. from the South East Counties Championship winning/runners up teams in 1963/4 and 1964/5 and combined them with the older, experienced players to form the all conquering 1966/7 side.

What we seem to do these days is hope that one of our promising youngsters will come good and keep them at the club for years e.g. the Michaels, Harriman and Doughty; before we realise they will never be first team regulars. Although this is not a new phenomenon, I recall we once bought a 20 year old from Crewe called Maurice Doyle who played 4 first team games in 6 years before we sold him on and he wasn't even injury prone. I think he still holds the record for the highest number of appearances for the reserves!
I really do despair at times. on 12:13 - Nov 22 with 1770 viewsTheChef

I really do despair at times. on 11:25 - Nov 22 by WestbourneR

Precisely put. You can bang on about finances all you like but there is zero joined up thinking with the resources we do have. We have a huge squad full of players of roughly the same quality playing positions that don't fit our tactics.

"We have a huge squad full of players of roughly the same quality playing positions that don't fit our tactics."

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

If you mean we're playing players out of position, please tell me who.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

I really do despair at times. on 12:25 - Nov 22 with 1742 viewsSimonJames

I guess part of the problem is that you see teams like Sheffield United come up and continue to rack up points almost as fast as they did last season. Then you wonder why we can't do a bit better than we are.

100% of people who drink water will die.

I really do despair at times. on 12:39 - Nov 22 with 1709 viewsAntti_Heinola

I really do despair at times. on 12:25 - Nov 22 by SimonJames

I guess part of the problem is that you see teams like Sheffield United come up and continue to rack up points almost as fast as they did last season. Then you wonder why we can't do a bit better than we are.

Agree, but you could probably say that in 19 out of 20 seasons, at almost any club. And just three games ago we were fur unbeaten and had just nailed that same Sheff Utd team you mentioned there and some (ludicrously optimistic) fans talked of the play-offs. We're not suddenly rubbish - we all know the issues. A defence on its knees and not enough goals from everybody else. That won't change overnight. It was the same with our last manager, it was the same before that whenever Charlie was not playing. This is a really tough time. But these players will keep fighting. And that's the main thing.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

I really do despair at times. on 12:50 - Nov 22 with 1678 viewsLadbrokeR

I really do despair at times. on 01:30 - Nov 22 by timcocking

I bet if you surveyed all QPR fans, the percentage who'd think Ollie should go now is about 1%. Unfortunately, these gimps are the 1% who never fcuking shut up.

Anybody who types a football comment on facebook can be nothing other than a t!t to begin with.

Pay no attention.

I have never been on here asking for ollie to leave so I'm not someone who never fcuking shuts up. Based on the people that I know and people that I speak to I would say you're way off the mark with 1%.
I really do despair at times. on 12:51 - Nov 22 with 1676 viewsWestbourneR

I really do despair at times. on 11:47 - Nov 22 by Dorse

Really? I wouldn't trust us.

Now that I've got to say I agree with, horrible record of appointing managers.

I really think we have a tendency to go for the 'low hanging fruit' when we appoint - the obvious name bandied about in the papers at the time - goes back as far as Hughes (I was guilty of that), then Redknapp, Ramsey was just odd seeing as we'd been abject going down under him, then Hasselbaink was an in vogue name at the time, and Holloway was an old favourite.

I'd really like us to research and recruit someone talented but not so obvious. Think outside the box. No matter what some people say there are huge number of good managers who would jump at the Rangers job. Wagner took the Huddersfield job!

One thing I can guarantee - this is the best Holloway will ever do. We will be eternally inconsistent and never improve in possession. It was the wrong appointment and honestly he hasn't done well, we're no better than under JFH. That's my opinion, sorry.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

I really do despair at times. on 12:55 - Nov 22 with 1665 viewsdaveB

I really do despair at times. on 11:13 - Nov 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

You need to be friendlier to the fellas behind the counter mate.

I think you are right, but things are much better than they used to be. Shodipo / Furlong in particular can feel hard done by.

why would they feel hard done by? Shodipo is coming back from injury, Furlong didn't play too well when he got a chance and is now injured
I really do despair at times. on 12:56 - Nov 22 with 1661 viewsdaveB

I really do despair at times. on 11:25 - Nov 22 by WestbourneR

Precisely put. You can bang on about finances all you like but there is zero joined up thinking with the resources we do have. We have a huge squad full of players of roughly the same quality playing positions that don't fit our tactics.

They fitted the tactics 3 games ago and played reasonably well at the weekend.
I really do despair at times. on 13:01 - Nov 22 with 1655 viewsdaveB

I really do despair at times. on 12:51 - Nov 22 by WestbourneR

I really think we have a tendency to go for the 'low hanging fruit' when we appoint - the obvious name bandied about in the papers at the time - goes back as far as Hughes (I was guilty of that), then Redknapp, Ramsey was just odd seeing as we'd been abject going down under him, then Hasselbaink was an in vogue name at the time, and Holloway was an old favourite.

I'd really like us to research and recruit someone talented but not so obvious. Think outside the box. No matter what some people say there are huge number of good managers who would jump at the Rangers job. Wagner took the Huddersfield job!

One thing I can guarantee - this is the best Holloway will ever do. We will be eternally inconsistent and never improve in possession. It was the wrong appointment and honestly he hasn't done well, we're no better than under JFH. That's my opinion, sorry.

There are a lot of crap managers who would take the QPR job as well as some good ones who might not work out. No one wanted the job a year ago, Rowett was offered it and said no and the list of people who applied was not inspiring. A year on we have a massive FFP fine plus a bog squad with players needing to be sold in January, it's not an attractive job at the moment, it might be next summer when players are out of contract but not now.

Unless we are in the bottom 3 I don't think changing the manager should come into it this season. We're performing pretty much how most expected us to this season.
I really do despair at times. on 13:03 - Nov 22 with 1653 viewsLadbrokeR

Keep speaking like that and you are danger of being part of the 1%.
I really do despair at times. on 13:08 - Nov 22 with 1642 viewsLadbrokeR

Come on this is rose tinted glasses. We're performing pretty much how most expected us to this season.

We haven't won away since last February. I thought we may have won an away game by now. I didn't expect us to collapse in such comical fashion after Ollie was nominated for MOTM in October.

Burton at home was shocking

Millwall v ten men was also shocking. I could go on.

I expected us to be doing better.
I really do despair at times. on 13:15 - Nov 22 with 1631 viewsTheChef

I really do despair at times. on 13:08 - Nov 22 by LadbrokeR

Come on this is rose tinted glasses. We're performing pretty much how most expected us to this season.

We haven't won away since last February. I thought we may have won an away game by now. I didn't expect us to collapse in such comical fashion after Ollie was nominated for MOTM in October.

Burton at home was shocking

Millwall v ten men was also shocking. I could go on.

I expected us to be doing better.

How much better?

Do you really think we are a top ten side?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

I really do despair at times. on 13:18 - Nov 22 with 1629 viewsCamberleyR

Huddersfield Town are light years in front of us in terms of infrastructure/training facilities. Why wouldn't Wagner have taken the Huddersfield job?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

I really do despair at times. on 13:26 - Nov 22 with 1605 viewsLadbrokeR

I really do despair at times. on 13:15 - Nov 22 by TheChef

How much better?

Do you really think we are a top ten side?

Given that we are 16th 4 points behind 10th bearing in mind the avoidable lost points yes I think we should be a top ten side. All this adjust your expectations is fine up to a point but some of what I have seen is inexcusable.
I really do despair at times. on 13:32 - Nov 22 with 1588 viewsR_from_afar

Managing us is a tough job at the best of times but particularly now, for so many reasons, not least because you need to be good at alchemy; Holloway is being asked to maintain or improve results whilst reducing the player budget (see also: Terry Venables at Leeds Utd, when they had their £50m fire sale).

I am desperate for results to improve, like all of you, but I think Ollie is doing a pretty good job given said financial constraints and all the injuries to our defenders.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

I really do despair at times. on 13:34 - Nov 22 with 1584 viewsAntti_Heinola

I really do despair at times. on 13:26 - Nov 22 by LadbrokeR

Given that we are 16th 4 points behind 10th bearing in mind the avoidable lost points yes I think we should be a top ten side. All this adjust your expectations is fine up to a point but some of what I have seen is inexcusable.

inexcusable?
what have you seen? and what's your response to something 'inexcusable'?
it's a football match, mate, people to do wrong things in it.

Bare bones.

I really do despair at times. on 13:39 - Nov 22 with 1562 viewsWestbourneR

I really do despair at times. on 13:18 - Nov 22 by CamberleyR

Huddersfield Town are light years in front of us in terms of infrastructure/training facilities. Why wouldn't Wagner have taken the Huddersfield job?

I don't agree at all.

Before Wagner we'd had a higher league position, profile and spending power than Huddersfield for a very long time. They'd been a relegation scrap almost every year and had to sell all their best players when ever a halfway decent offer came in.

We pinched Smithies off them at will.

Wagner would have taken the QPR job at the time, I am very sure.

Re Rowett - again obvious idea - and he's not that good. We need to scout for managers like we scout for players. Look at the Southampton model. Even Watford model.

I really do despair at times. on 13:40 - Nov 22 with 1559 viewsderbyhoop

We do not have any money, even if there was no transfer window.
We ended last night with no fit CBs but 2 left backs having to fill in.
If any of the CBs from the U23s were ready for Championship level football don't you think they'd have got a chance by now.
Similarly with the rest of the U23s. Even if Lumley, Petrasso and Chair were all on the bench.

Yes, it is true that if players aren't knocking on the door of the first team by 20-22 then they are unlikely to make it at all. But, you cannot just cancel contracts. There will be another clearout in the Summer of 2018.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

I really do despair at times. on 13:42 - Nov 22 with 1557 viewsWestbourneR

I really do despair at times. on 12:56 - Nov 22 by daveB

They fitted the tactics 3 games ago and played reasonably well at the weekend.

They didn't fit the tactics, they were either on the bench or not in the squad, even then.

The wins, as I said at the time to be fair, we victories off perspiration over inspiration. We out fought our opponents and got a very lucky goal for Sylla.

A disportioncate number of our goals have come from the scraps of harassing the opposition. We just haven't clicked as a footballing side at all.

I really do despair at times. on 13:53 - Nov 22 with 1538 viewsAntti_Heinola

Well there's a lot of conflating going on here.
The only 'obvious' appointment they've made since Warnock was sacked (and Warnock, by the way, would absolutely come into your enormous catchment term of low hanging fruit, and he did ok (although there were more people wanting him sacked on here most weeks once we were promoted than almost anyone will admit to. Try finding those people now. Good luck) was Redknapp. Hughes was really high profile, a manager who did well for Wales, great for Blackburn, fine if not good enough at City and fine for Fulham. It was wrong he 'interviewed us' and was the wrong fit, but it was hardly obvious. Redknapp was obvious, and I despised him then as much as I do now and it was a horrific appointment. Ramsey was brave, if foolhardy (although we played some lovely stuff under him at times). And JFH was not 'in vogue'. They interviewed loads of people and went for what they thought was a young, progressive, hard working manager. You're being really harsh there I think.

As for Wagner. Well, yeah, wouldn't he have been lovely. But come on, let's be honest here. It was a great appointment, but they took a flyer and got lucky. Here's a quick list of European managers with good pedigrees appointed to this league, or just above, who were absolute catastrophes:

Felix Magathe
Stale Solbakken
Remi Garde
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Philippe Montanier
Paulo Sousa

And that's just a few I picked off the top of my head. Let's not make out there's an incredible ready supply of David Wagners out there and all you have to do is 'think outside the box'. I mean, that's nonsense. Every club wants a David Wagner. Not many actually find one. And there are probably loads og Wagners that are just as good as Wagner that failed for other reasons than their own ability.

I do agree that we're not appreciably better now than we were a year ago. But I also think that was always unlikely, and why I always thought there wasn't a great deal of point in sacking JFH. I'd argue appointing Holloay was quite shrewd, because he is who he is, and he has the love of the majority of fans, and so people will give more time (which is absolutely needed) than an 'outsider' - especially one who came from 'outside the box'. If a Wagner equivalent turned up and had Olly's first few months - a bloke from Germany who'd only ever managed a reserve side before - he'd have been gone, probably before the end of the season. Now, you can argue that that wouldn't have happened under Wagner, and you can argue that maybe Ollie should have been fired, but that's not really my point. My point is the club needs stability. If we stay up this season and next, the wage bill goes down, the squad streamlined, then, I'm afraid, it's job done. Perhaps that's the time to go for a sexier appointment. But it's really not that easy.

Bare bones.

I really do despair at times. on 13:53 - Nov 22 with 1537 viewsYorkRanger

Snipper's points are well made. Unfortunately Twitter is heavily made up of I'll informed and obnoxious people, many who use anonymity when putting forward their views.

For me the nub if it is exactly who do we think would want to come to Rangers now. Most likely people who have failed elsewhere, there is no money to spend. We got JFH in as a highly regarded coach and look how that they played out. I think Grayson is a very good manager and look how he fared when he went to another club on its arse.

That said and even allowing for the injuries the team selection was puzzling last night and Holloway just gives the haters the ammunition they seek.

Personally I say stick with him, keep rebuilding and if we finish mid table I will take that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024