Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ray Wilkins 23:04 - Mar 30 with 23705 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tabloids reporting heart attack and (induced) coma.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ray Wilkins on 01:44 - Apr 2 with 4389 viewsHooped_Pullie

Ray Wilkins on 23:13 - Apr 1 by Hayesender

A lot of rumours circulating saying he has lost his battle. So so sad if true

Nothing on news sites at the mo, let's hope rumour is all it is.

A lovely guy who had his troubles (like all of us), it would be great to see him pull through. Was at HQ for his playing and managerial days, not the worst of memories by a long way. Alan Brazil is saying he's never been well since his double bypass op, which is ominous, but until there's word let's all hope for the best.
Ray Wilkins on 02:52 - Apr 2 with 4351 viewstimcocking

A proper gentleman, what a legend. Absolutely love Butch. An awful lot of people could lessons about football and life from watching how he conducted himself on the football pitch.
Ray Wilkins on 08:43 - Apr 2 with 4258 viewsHayesender

Ray Wilkins on 01:44 - Apr 2 by Hooped_Pullie

Nothing on news sites at the mo, let's hope rumour is all it is.

A lovely guy who had his troubles (like all of us), it would be great to see him pull through. Was at HQ for his playing and managerial days, not the worst of memories by a long way. Alan Brazil is saying he's never been well since his double bypass op, which is ominous, but until there's word let's all hope for the best.

Thankfully it seems it's just nasty rumours. There's some very sick people about

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ray Wilkins on 08:10 - Apr 3 with 3916 viewsMkPaul

I will point his son towards this thread when the time is right.

The family are with him at the hospital and hoping and praying he comes through.
Ray Wilkins on 10:04 - Apr 3 with 3789 viewsdaveB

As a player he was the best midfield player i've ever seen wear the hoops. A brilliant passer of the ball, nicknamed the crab as an insult for passing sideways in an era where keeping possession of the ball was seen as a bad thing. I'd compare him to Xavi in how he passed the ball, his range of passing was sensational and he was a massive influence on the likes of Bardsley, Parker, Ferdinand, Sinton, Sinclair, Gallen so many of our best players became what they were due to Wilkins.

It's seems mad to say it now but if he hadn't got injured in the 92/93 season we could have won the league that year. He got injured just before we played Man Utd at home and we were only a few points behind them with games against the rest of the top 4 (Norwich, Blackburn and Villa) to come at home. He missed 3 months and we fell away badly in that time.

As a manager he lost Ferdinand which was a major blow but just as big a loss was Wilkins himself, if you look at results during his time as a player we rarely won a game without him and as he didn't play much in that relegation season he was a big loss for the team. I think he picked himself for that must win game at Coventry but he should have played a lot more that season

How he is seen now is a tragedy, he should be up in the top 10 players we've ever seen at this club but his induction to the forever r's club was mocked by many.

I had the honour of meeting him after the 1-0 win over Chelsea at LR. He was working for Sky that day and was outside the Lower Loft shaking hands with fans, he was saying how the crowd affected Chelsea and I took the opportunity to shake his hand and tell him he was one of the best players I'd ever seen. his reply was so humble he seemed shocked and genuinely pleased someone had said that to him. I hope he pulls through and he gets the kind of recognition he should do.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 10:10]
Ray Wilkins on 10:25 - Apr 3 with 3703 viewsPhildo

I helped out a little with the Kevin Gallen testimonial year. Lots of ex players were invited along for the legends match beforehand. My job was to meet them and shepherd then into the offices which were makeshift changing rooms for them that day- and make sure any guests they brought were taken through and seated in South Africa Road. One ex player turned up with 13 people demanding they be given a box and really creating a bit of a scene when he was told they were all occupied.

When Ray arrived he brought along some friends and I asked him to come over to get changed and that I would take his party through- but he was having none of it and insisted on paying full whack for his whole party (himself included) at the box office (which he queued for) despite my remonstrations that Kevin did not want that- no it was Kevins day and I am putting my hand in my pocket. He was a gent all day.

Really hoping he pulls through and echo everything DaveB said- as a player he was way ahead of his time and a sensational signing for us.
Ray Wilkins on 10:30 - Apr 3 with 3665 viewsqpr85

My dad and I went to watch the last game of the season against West Ham when we won 3-0 and still went down. We travelled from Peterborough like we have for most of the last 2 decades and is was my 11th birthday a few days later.

As a treat my dad said do you want to go to football? "Yes please Dad"

I wanted to do the usual wait meet players and get some autographs. When I saw Mr Wilkins, shaking and excited I asked for an autograph. I told him it's my birthday in a couple of days and he smiled and said well happy birthday young man. I carried on getting autographs.

Then a feww minutes and he got his PA to come downstairs with a envelope. It was tickets to the game with a pass to the special pub as my dad said. We were also asked to stay behind at the end as Mr Wilkins wanted to speak to my dad.

He came back with a bag of QPR goodies for me. I was in tears with excitement and my dad was speechless for the first time in my life.
He didn't have to do any of that but that's just the kind of person he was. A legend on the pitch and a true gentleman off the pitch.

Get well soon Mr Wilkins I am not a religious man so I won't be praying but I have been touching every wooden door, side and cupboard I walk past for you.
Ray Wilkins on 10:39 - Apr 3 with 3617 viewspaulparker

Ray Wilkins on 10:04 - Apr 3 by daveB

As a player he was the best midfield player i've ever seen wear the hoops. A brilliant passer of the ball, nicknamed the crab as an insult for passing sideways in an era where keeping possession of the ball was seen as a bad thing. I'd compare him to Xavi in how he passed the ball, his range of passing was sensational and he was a massive influence on the likes of Bardsley, Parker, Ferdinand, Sinton, Sinclair, Gallen so many of our best players became what they were due to Wilkins.

It's seems mad to say it now but if he hadn't got injured in the 92/93 season we could have won the league that year. He got injured just before we played Man Utd at home and we were only a few points behind them with games against the rest of the top 4 (Norwich, Blackburn and Villa) to come at home. He missed 3 months and we fell away badly in that time.

As a manager he lost Ferdinand which was a major blow but just as big a loss was Wilkins himself, if you look at results during his time as a player we rarely won a game without him and as he didn't play much in that relegation season he was a big loss for the team. I think he picked himself for that must win game at Coventry but he should have played a lot more that season

How he is seen now is a tragedy, he should be up in the top 10 players we've ever seen at this club but his induction to the forever r's club was mocked by many.

I had the honour of meeting him after the 1-0 win over Chelsea at LR. He was working for Sky that day and was outside the Lower Loft shaking hands with fans, he was saying how the crowd affected Chelsea and I took the opportunity to shake his hand and tell him he was one of the best players I'd ever seen. his reply was so humble he seemed shocked and genuinely pleased someone had said that to him. I hope he pulls through and he gets the kind of recognition he should do.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 10:10]

Your bang on Dave B about us winning the title , we badly missed Ray in that period of time and was forced to play Maurice doyle , I remember a particularly frustrating game against Wimbledon at home when we lost 1-2 if Wilkins would have played we would have won that , we seemed to lose steam when he wasn't around , that's why I hate Thompson with a passion if he had invested in an ian bishop or an alex rae during this period we would have at least got in the top 3 or better
also in the 1989/90 season ray was even better which I think gets overlooked as a season , we had a spell where we crushed Spurs 3-1 at home, Arsenal 2-0 both in the cup and in the league(ray scored in the arsenal game) where Wilkins bossed the game to the point of it being a master class and should have been in the England squad that world cup year instead of Neil fcuking Webb or steve McMahon

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Ray Wilkins on 10:45 - Apr 3 with 3594 viewsCiderwithRsie

As others have said, now is not the time to pick over his managerial record, but I will say this: that when he took over from Gerry we were in a bit of a state, having sold Clive Wilson and of course Ray himself in the summer. Relegation was a real possibility. In the rest of that season Ray stabilised the team and by the end we were flying. We even had a cup run! (Ask your grandparents, kids).

I really hope that "no news is good news" and that he is in the best of care. It is so sad that he had problems with alcohol, having been a model professional and one of the pioneers of good diet and looking after yourself - you don't get to have a playing career of over 20 years by luck.
Ray Wilkins on 11:02 - Apr 3 with 3558 viewsdaveB

Ray Wilkins on 10:39 - Apr 3 by paulparker

Your bang on Dave B about us winning the title , we badly missed Ray in that period of time and was forced to play Maurice doyle , I remember a particularly frustrating game against Wimbledon at home when we lost 1-2 if Wilkins would have played we would have won that , we seemed to lose steam when he wasn't around , that's why I hate Thompson with a passion if he had invested in an ian bishop or an alex rae during this period we would have at least got in the top 3 or better
also in the 1989/90 season ray was even better which I think gets overlooked as a season , we had a spell where we crushed Spurs 3-1 at home, Arsenal 2-0 both in the cup and in the league(ray scored in the arsenal game) where Wilkins bossed the game to the point of it being a master class and should have been in the England squad that world cup year instead of Neil fcuking Webb or steve McMahon

That 89-90 QPR team was the best footballing QPR team I've ever seen, so full of skill and passing they were great to watch. Wegerle, Wilkins, Barker, Bardsley, Parker, Sinton, what a team that was. That 3-1 against Spurs Wilkins rang rings around Gazza who was a superstar at the time
Ray Wilkins on 15:49 - Apr 3 with 3323 viewspaulparker

Ray Wilkins on 11:02 - Apr 3 by daveB

That 89-90 QPR team was the best footballing QPR team I've ever seen, so full of skill and passing they were great to watch. Wegerle, Wilkins, Barker, Bardsley, Parker, Sinton, what a team that was. That 3-1 against Spurs Wilkins rang rings around Gazza who was a superstar at the time

its a very underrated team that Dave, I still think to this day if we had the rub of the green we would have beaten Liverpool in the FA cup (1st game) then gone on to do Palace in the semi then a very average Man Utd in the final , Barker and Ray should also have gone to the World cup no doubts about it
its funny that the Spurs 4-1 game gets lots of love and so it should but that 1990 team beat Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal x2 , Forest ,Villa Spurs and Chelsea , in fact we battered them all and played them all off the park , it was also the 1st year of the influence kits , a truly memorable season that deserved at least a cup or a European spot

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ray Wilkins on 15:57 - Apr 3 with 3293 viewsBoston

The trouble in this world is we never appreciate the good people until it’s too late.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ray Wilkins on 16:13 - Apr 3 with 3249 viewsdaveB

Ray Wilkins on 15:49 - Apr 3 by paulparker

its a very underrated team that Dave, I still think to this day if we had the rub of the green we would have beaten Liverpool in the FA cup (1st game) then gone on to do Palace in the semi then a very average Man Utd in the final , Barker and Ray should also have gone to the World cup no doubts about it
its funny that the Spurs 4-1 game gets lots of love and so it should but that 1990 team beat Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal x2 , Forest ,Villa Spurs and Chelsea , in fact we battered them all and played them all off the park , it was also the 1st year of the influence kits , a truly memorable season that deserved at least a cup or a European spot

That Forest home game that season, we won 2-0 and absolutely battered them, on the end of season video they had extended highlights of it and we were so good that day.
Ray Wilkins on 20:44 - Apr 3 with 3031 viewsTGRRRSSS

My 2nd ever QPR game, right at the front of the Paddocks (west) just near the home Dugout, and I managed to get my first ever Autograph in the warm ups (one Ian Holloway).
Later on during the 2nd half (I think) the Coventry player Peter Atherton was getting treatment for a head injury (he possibly got subbed) in any event we had been given a free kick just near by and Ray was standing over the ball waiting till the ref got the game underway.

So he's probably 10-15 Yards away from me and being only 12 and having already got Ollies I decided I'd rather like Ray's autograph, so I called out, "Ray, Ray... can I have your autograph please"

He heard this and turned around slightly startled but clearly hear me, he swings around my way and I waved my programme at him, and he smiled and said"not at the moment son, the games going on".

A few people must've laughed, and anyway the game got underway a bit after that, we went on to win 5-1 and Bobby Gould resigned after the game.

I never did get the autograph though.... but gives me a story to tell almost 25 years later (christ)

All the best to Ray and his family
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 20:51]
Ray Wilkins on 20:48 - Apr 3 with 3002 viewsloftboy

Ray Wilkins on 15:49 - Apr 3 by paulparker

Th only season that I did 100% home and away 56 odd games including cup replays absolutely loved that season. Also got to a few England games and lower league games when we weren’t playing.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:41 - Apr 3 with 2907 viewsStanisgod

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ray Wilkins on 02:37 - Apr 4 with 2728 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Any further news on Ray? Really hope he pulls through.
Ray Wilkins on 03:04 - Apr 4 with 2717 viewsisawqpratwcity

No news may not necessarily be good news, but it's a helluva lot better than bad news.

I'm guessing that it's now less about the heart episode and more about the head injury. This could take a while. We're still with you, Ray.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ray Wilkins on 14:10 - Apr 4 with 2507 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Mail and Mirror reporting he has passed away. Very sad news. RIP Ray

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Ray Wilkins on 14:12 - Apr 4 with 2502 viewsqprd

Ray Wilkins on 14:10 - Apr 4 by RANGERS4EVER

Mail and Mirror reporting he has passed away. Very sad news. RIP Ray

Hopefully the DM is wrong on this

very sad news
Ray Wilkins on 14:14 - Apr 4 with 2475 viewsqprxtc

Terrible news. One of the best players I've seen at Rangers. Absolutely gutted.
Ray Wilkins on 14:20 - Apr 4 with 2429 viewsstowmarketrange

Just announced it on the bbc.RIP Ray.
Ray Wilkins on 14:22 - Apr 4 with 2401 viewsNorthernr

Fcking hell that's so sad. Brilliant player for us. Was in the team when I started going as a kid and just took the stuff he did for granted.
Ray Wilkins on 14:22 - Apr 4 with 2400 viewspaulparker

Sitting in the office with a tear in my eye, im gutted truly gutted , easily one of our top 5 players of all time , I know the media will be reporting him as a Chelsea and man utd legend but the man was one of our legends and held in higher esteem at W12 than anywhere else
cheers for the good times Ray and there were hundreds of them and God bless

Ray Wilkins on 14:23 - Apr 4 with 2383 viewsToast_R

Can't believe he's gone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024