Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highest home attendances 15:24 - Sep 7 with 4148 viewsdeeplishblue

Not seen this before but I was browsing the BIFFO board and saw a link which showed all the league clubs highest attendances. I was surprised to see that Fleetwoods highest ever gate was against the mighty Dale for an FA cup game in 1965
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 15:36]

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Highest home attendances on 15:37 - Sep 7 with 4109 viewsTVOS1907

Back in the days when the FA Cup was regarded as the premier competition.

It seems Fleetwood hardly ever drew league teams, so obviously their tie against us was something of a special occasion.

Their biggest attendance since they reformed is just over 5,000.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Highest home attendances on 20:21 - Sep 7 with 3913 views49thseason

2-2, I went to that game with my Dad, I think George Sievewright (Sp?) scored the second equalising goal, a header about 3 feet off the ground and about 2 feet out in a melee from a corner. But then I might be wrong ... it's a long time ago.... won the replay 5-0 at Spotland.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 20:23]
Highest home attendances on 23:57 - Sep 7 with 3724 viewsD_Dale

Highest home attendances on 20:21 - Sep 7 by 49thseason

2-2, I went to that game with my Dad, I think George Sievewright (Sp?) scored the second equalising goal, a header about 3 feet off the ground and about 2 feet out in a melee from a corner. But then I might be wrong ... it's a long time ago.... won the replay 5-0 at Spotland.

Then in the second round Dale were at home to another 'non-league' club, Altringham, and lost 3-1.

Reinforcing TVOS's point, the attendances were 5084 for the Fleetwood replay and 8367 for the visit of Altringham, compared with 3122 for the league match immediately before the Fleetwood replay and 2547 for the game after it.
Highest home attendances on 00:38 - Sep 8 with 3715 viewsTVOS1907

Highest home attendances on 23:57 - Sep 7 by D_Dale

Then in the second round Dale were at home to another 'non-league' club, Altringham, and lost 3-1.

Reinforcing TVOS's point, the attendances were 5084 for the Fleetwood replay and 8367 for the visit of Altringham, compared with 3122 for the league match immediately before the Fleetwood replay and 2547 for the game after it.

* Altrincham

Highest home attendances on 02:20 - Sep 8 with 3678 viewskiwidale

Highest home attendances on 00:38 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

* Altrincham

Altringham... Its the way he sez it.

This is not the time for bickering.

Highest home attendances on 07:41 - Sep 8 with 3614 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember the Altrincham game well. It was awful. They played us off the park. A non league legend called Jack Swindells ran us ragged up front. One or two Dale players never pulled on the shirt again after that game.
Highest home attendances on 12:42 - Sep 8 with 3507 viewspioneer

Highest home attendances on 20:21 - Sep 7 by 49thseason

I think reg got a few of those 5 if memory serves me well.
Highest home attendances on 12:47 - Sep 8 with 3498 viewsTVOS1907

Highest home attendances on 07:41 - Sep 8 by mingthemerciless

I remember the Altrincham game well. It was awful. They played us off the park. A non league legend called Jack Swindells ran us ragged up front. One or two Dale players never pulled on the shirt again after that game.

Only Jimmy Thompson.

Login to get fewer ads

Highest home attendances on 12:48 - Sep 8 with 3494 viewsTVOS1907

Highest home attendances on 12:42 - Sep 8 by pioneer

I think reg got a few of those 5 if memory serves me well.

Three

Highest home attendances on 17:44 - Sep 8 with 3328 viewsmingthemerciless

Highest home attendances on 12:47 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

Only Jimmy Thompson.

Err, and Barry Ratcliffe I think. Ted Burgin didn't last long after that game either.
Highest home attendances on 19:31 - Sep 8 with 3215 viewsTVOS1907

Highest home attendances on 17:44 - Sep 8 by mingthemerciless

Err, and Barry Ratcliffe I think. Ted Burgin didn't last long after that game either.

Well he was getting on a bit!

Highest home attendances on 02:01 - Sep 10 with 2869 viewsDiddyDave

Highest home attendances on 07:41 - Sep 8 by mingthemerciless

I went to that game. Quite a few United fans went along to support Alti that night,they were really up for it, Dale got caught up in the occasion and were well beaten on the night. Wasn`t that game about `62 or `63?
Highest home attendances on 02:08 - Sep 10 with 2866 viewsDiddyDave

Highest home attendances on 02:01 - Sep 10 by DiddyDave

I went to that game. Quite a few United fans went along to support Alti that night,they were really up for it, Dale got caught up in the occasion and were well beaten on the night. Wasn`t that game about `62 or `63?

Ah yes,just Googled it,it was `65.
Highest home attendances on 07:43 - Sep 10 with 2766 viewsEllDale

Altrincham used to play on Friday nights around that time and so garnered a lot of support from United/City fans.
They were also bankrolled by Noel White and Peter Swales who later moved to Liverpool/City respectively. They had a chain of TV shops in the area.
As happened in those days they had a few players who were attracted by part-time non-league football because they earned more money from football plus a day job which was often a sinecure then they would have from playing fulltime in the Football League.
Swindells was a classic example and could quite easily have played in the FL.
Highest home attendances on 11:05 - Sep 10 with 2628 viewsD_Alien

Highest home attendances on 07:43 - Sep 10 by EllDale

Altrincham used to play on Friday nights around that time and so garnered a lot of support from United/City fans.
They were also bankrolled by Noel White and Peter Swales who later moved to Liverpool/City respectively. They had a chain of TV shops in the area.
As happened in those days they had a few players who were attracted by part-time non-league football because they earned more money from football plus a day job which was often a sinecure then they would have from playing fulltime in the Football League.

Could be wrong, but wasn't it also Altrincham who felt hard done by when we escaped the re-election drop in 1979/80? Goes to show the vote went the right way!

[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 11:18]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Highest home attendances on 11:36 - Sep 10 with 2612 viewsAncoats_Blue

Highest home attendances on 11:05 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

Could be wrong, but wasn't it also Altrincham who felt hard done by when we escaped the re-election drop in 1979/80? Goes to show the vote went the right way!

[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 11:18]

Yeah. Some of their older fans are still bitter about it. Despite 32 years of promotion to the FL they've never come up and we've never gone down. So, natural order continues.
Highest home attendances on 17:31 - Sep 10 with 2457 viewskiwidale

Highest home attendances on 07:43 - Sep 10 by EllDale

Jake Swindells was a goal scoring machine he played for Alty from 1965 to 1971 scoring 195 goals in 229 appearances. Swindells' achievement of 82 goals in a single season is a record for Altrincham. In total he scored 218 goals in 401 appearances including 69 in 190 appearances for various FL clubs.

1957- 1959 Blackburn Rovers 9 (1)
1959—1961 Accrington Stanley 65 (28)
1961—1962 Barnsley 14 (8)
1962—1963 Workington 61 (19)
1963—1964 Torquay United 18 (6)
1964—1965 Newport County 23 (3)
1965—1971 Altrincham 229 (195)

Highest home attendances on 17:49 - Sep 10 with 2444 viewsEllDale

Without wishing to denigrate Swindells' achievements too much because he was a good player it would be interesting to see the breakdown of those 82 goals in a season.
I suspect that quite a few were in minor competitions such as the Cheshire Senior Cup where he filled his boots against some poor teams.
Highest home attendances on 18:13 - Sep 10 with 2419 viewskiwidale

Highest home attendances on 17:49 - Sep 10 by EllDale

Without wishing to denigrate Swindells' achievements too much because he was a good player it would be interesting to see the breakdown of those 82 goals in a season.
I suspect that quite a few were in minor competitions such as the Cheshire Senior Cup where he filled his boots against some poor teams.

The source for my post was Wikipedia and it contained this info * Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only. I take it that means league games only.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 18:14]

Highest home attendances on 18:25 - Sep 10 with 2399 viewskiwidale

I found this on the Manchester evening news website. His stats in all games for Alty are extraordinary.

Swindells will be remembered as perhaps the best player ever to have worn an Alty shirt, having plundered 246 goals in 322 Robins’ appearances league and cups between 1965 and 1971, including an all-time record-breaking haul of 82 in his first full season with the club.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 18:29]

Highest home attendances on 18:34 - Sep 10 with 2380 viewsfermin

Only 1 in the Cheshire Senior Cup - more details here:

http://www.lusaweb.co.uk/legend2.htm
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024