Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second wave on way 15:03 - Jun 6 with 8384 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52949014

I understand protests but in this lockdown period this is ridiculous!!!

I fear the NHS will be overwhelmed in next fortnight.
Second wave on way on 14:21 - Jun 8 with 1022 viewsTreforys_Jack

Second wave on way on 09:34 - Jun 8 by dickythorpe

8 pager coming up......

It'll be deleted.
Second wave on way on 14:24 - Jun 8 with 1013 viewsTreforys_Jack

Second wave on way on 13:46 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

Joshua said to use black spending power to make a difference by spending with black businesses didn’t he, not refuse to get paid by ‘White’ businesses?

Black people can’t only work for black owned businesses as there aren’t enough of them, which I think is his point.

Would you say AJ was being racist ?
Second wave on way on 14:25 - Jun 8 with 1011 viewsHighjack

Second wave on way on 09:33 - Jun 8 by Best_loser

Birds of a feather stick together

Every person in the planet is racist to varying degrees

It's in our DNA

It’s learned behaviour. Kids of all colours will play together happily and not even notice or care.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Second wave on way on 14:31 - Jun 8 with 995 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 14:24 - Jun 8 by Treforys_Jack

Would you say AJ was being racist ?

No.

I think he was saying that a more sensible reaction to racism faced by black people is to force change through economics rather than violence. It’s how governments force change all the time.
Second wave on way on 14:35 - Jun 8 with 986 viewsCatullus

Second wave on way on 14:31 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

No.

I think he was saying that a more sensible reaction to racism faced by black people is to force change through economics rather than violence. It’s how governments force change all the time.

OK then, what do you think the reaction fom the BAME community would be if a white person said whites should only use white owned businesses?

Would they shout racism or not?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Second wave on way on 14:38 - Jun 8 with 982 viewsSwanjaxs

The lowest daily death rate figure for 3 months has just been announced for Wales (3).

All the hard work could be for nothing with more protests planned for next weekend.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Second wave on way on 14:39 - Jun 8 with 975 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 14:35 - Jun 8 by Catullus

OK then, what do you think the reaction fom the BAME community would be if a white person said whites should only use white owned businesses?

It’s not the same thing as we don’t live in a black dominated society and economy that is discriminating in all sorts of ways against white people requiring us to take some sort of action in order to establish a more equitable position.
Second wave on way on 14:48 - Jun 8 with 958 viewsjack247

Second wave on way on 14:35 - Jun 8 by Catullus

I think the message he is trying to get across is similar to the ‘shop at your local butcher, greengrocer, etc’ memes you see on social media all the time, more so during the pandemic. That portrays white people as the Tesco and Amazon, which I’m not completely comfortable with and I’m sure wasn’t his intention.
Login to get fewer ads

Second wave on way on 14:49 - Jun 8 with 955 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 14:38 - Jun 8 by Swanjaxs

The lowest daily death rate figure for 3 months has just been announced for Wales (3).

All the hard work could be for nothing with more protests planned for next weekend.

Lowest totals since lockdown in England as well, and London has now had two days without any reported deaths (albeit that this is a weekend in terms of reporting, and so it will be higher everywhere tomorrow).

Good news though more than a month after the lockdown loosened with the VE Day weekend and beaches and other public places being full.
Second wave on way on 14:50 - Jun 8 with 954 viewsLeonWasGod

Second wave on way on 12:01 - Jun 8 by jack247

I find it very hard to make or accept an argument for mass gatherings at the moment. If people attending were only risking their own lives, I’d have the utmost respect for them.

And that's fine. I wouldn't go these protests at the moment either. All I was saying is that some may be able to make that case, especially if they've been affected by racism. It's certainly a more worthy cause than cramming onto beaches.

I just don't like the way the argument has been polarised and politically weaponised. The BLM protests and the social distancing rules are both important.
Second wave on way on 14:56 - Jun 8 with 944 viewscontroversial_jack

Second wave on way on 14:50 - Jun 8 by LeonWasGod

And that's fine. I wouldn't go these protests at the moment either. All I was saying is that some may be able to make that case, especially if they've been affected by racism. It's certainly a more worthy cause than cramming onto beaches.

I just don't like the way the argument has been polarised and politically weaponised. The BLM protests and the social distancing rules are both important.

The only positives from the protests concerning the virus are, they are outdoors and most seem to be masked up
Second wave on way on 14:58 - Jun 8 with 941 viewslondonlisa2001

“It's certainly a more worthy cause than cramming onto beaches.“

Great way of putting it. I’m sure everyone is equally angry with them as well, they just largely didn’t bother saying so.
Second wave on way on 15:00 - Jun 8 with 937 viewsSwanjaxs

Second wave on way on 14:49 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

Lowest totals since lockdown in England as well, and London has now had two days without any reported deaths (albeit that this is a weekend in terms of reporting, and so it will be higher everywhere tomorrow).

Good news though more than a month after the lockdown loosened with the VE Day weekend and beaches and other public places being full.

Absolutely great news 👏

As I commented on another thread, if, after all these protests, the curve continues going in the right direction that will be the clearest indication yet...

Fingers crossed 🤞

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Second wave on way on 15:00 - Jun 8 with 936 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 14:56 - Jun 8 by controversial_jack

The only positives from the protests concerning the virus are, they are outdoors and most seem to be masked up

Plus they’ve been struggling to find an environment to test the vaccine properly and the marches may have been very useful in that regard.

Oh, hang on ...
Second wave on way on 15:05 - Jun 8 with 922 viewsjack247

There’s a huge irony to attending a BLM protest with little regard for your own or other peoples lives.
Second wave on way on 15:07 - Jun 8 with 914 viewsjack247

Second wave on way on 14:58 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

“It's certainly a more worthy cause than cramming onto beaches.“

Great way of putting it. I’m sure everyone is equally angry with them as well, they just largely didn’t bother saying so.

Come on. The idiots that crammed onto beaches got slaughtered on here.
Second wave on way on 15:14 - Jun 8 with 899 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 15:07 - Jun 8 by jack247

Come on. The idiots that crammed onto beaches got slaughtered on here.

I wasn’t talking about this forum, but more generally.

Look at the papers.

The Mail for VE Day was calling people ‘defiant Brits’ - they’ve been calling the protestors ‘reckless morons risking everyone’s health’. There’s a month of lowering infection rates between the two as well.
Second wave on way on 15:18 - Jun 8 with 889 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Timing of all this is interesting.

The spontaneous reaction around the world to yet another black death at the hands of the police in the USA came after many weeks of lockdown almost everywhere. Would that spontaneous reaction have occurred under normal circumstances? It might have because it’s happened in the past although not really worldwide and this one might have been the straw that broke the camel’s back anyway.

Had there been very little or no reaction or had people thought we’d better not protest now, we’ll wait until COVID 19 has gone away it would not have gained momentum and would largely be forgotten outside the affected communities.

Some people have clearly done their best to protest whilst wearing masks and maintaining social distancing but it’s a mine field out there if you join a protest. For some it’s more important than the threat of Covid and for others it isn’t. If my skin was a different colour my view would probably be different too.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Second wave on way on 15:26 - Jun 8 with 876 viewsjack247

Second wave on way on 15:14 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

I wasn’t talking about this forum, but more generally.

Look at the papers.

The Mail for VE Day was calling people ‘defiant Brits’ - they’ve been calling the protestors ‘reckless morons risking everyone’s health’. There’s a month of lowering infection rates between the two as well.

I don’t really read much press, but I take your point.

Locally speaking, the idiots in Port Tennant who had a street party that turned into a ruck with police (sadly comparable incidents to the ones that have made the headlines over the BLM protests) got rightly lambasted.

I doubt the ‘defiant brits’ in the Mail were in large groups with a small minority causing mayhem. If it was people getting pissed in their gardens with a bit of bunting up, I’ve no issue with it. If it’s stuff like we saw in Port Tennant, they are ignorant, reckless scum.
Second wave on way on 15:31 - Jun 8 with 870 viewslondonlisa2001

Second wave on way on 15:26 - Jun 8 by jack247

I don’t really read much press, but I take your point.

Locally speaking, the idiots in Port Tennant who had a street party that turned into a ruck with police (sadly comparable incidents to the ones that have made the headlines over the BLM protests) got rightly lambasted.

I doubt the ‘defiant brits’ in the Mail were in large groups with a small minority causing mayhem. If it was people getting pissed in their gardens with a bit of bunting up, I’ve no issue with it. If it’s stuff like we saw in Port Tennant, they are ignorant, reckless scum.

The defiant Brits headline was accompanied by a picture of hundreds of people having a street party. Ironically I think it may have been in Bristol, although that may have been a different publication.

The reality is that many of those currently moaning most about the BLM protests (again, I don’t mean on here) will be the same people as have been regularly breaking lockdown rules having drinks in the garden with their mates throughout because ‘it wont hurt will it’.
Second wave on way on 15:53 - Jun 8 with 835 viewsTreforys_Jack

Second wave on way on 14:31 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

No.

Hmmm, not so sure myself and I don't think he was probably the correct person to send that message , if indeed that was the message being sent.
Second wave on way on 16:40 - Jun 8 with 794 viewsjack247

Second wave on way on 15:31 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

The defiant Brits headline was accompanied by a picture of hundreds of people having a street party. Ironically I think it may have been in Bristol, although that may have been a different publication.

The reality is that many of those currently moaning most about the BLM protests (again, I don’t mean on here) will be the same people as have been regularly breaking lockdown rules having drinks in the garden with their mates throughout because ‘it wont hurt will it’.

I’m not going to pretend the press don’t have double standards. Hundreds of people in a street party and hundreds (thousands maybe) of people on a demonstration in the current climate are both abhorrent in my view. I don’t underestimate the importance of BLM. The people in either scenario have scant regard for lives regardless of ethnicity.

Yes, you’re probably right that people will have had beers in the garden with their mates and then moaned about these protests. Another probable reality is that many people on the protests wouldn’t have been on them had we not had a lockdown and a significant minority (in actions not numbers) were there to go on a riot and smash things up.
Second wave on way on 17:46 - Jun 8 with 754 viewsAnotherJohn

Second wave on way on 11:14 - Jun 8 by LeonWasGod

Not quite that simple is it - you're effectively saying racism isn't an issue, whereas it clearly is.

I would say it is pretty much that simple in the present situation. A second wave caused by the protests would have a huge cost, and not just for the BAME population, even though they appear more vulnerable (at least in the UK). Racism is an enduring problem, but there has been no trigger event in the UK that justifies protest now, and indeed no specific policy demand that the government could grant to end the protests. What seems to be demanded is an admission of white guilt and change in culture, and that in my opinion could wait until the present public health emergency is over, By the way, I visited a major academic medical centre in Wuhan last year and have been keeping in touch with my contacts there. They believe they controlled the virus by imposing a hard lock-down, and are astonished to see what is happening here. The other thing that anybody who has spent time in Asia will understand is that racism is not confined to white people.
Second wave on way on 18:58 - Jun 8 with 681 viewsCatullus

Second wave on way on 17:46 - Jun 8 by AnotherJohn

I would say it is pretty much that simple in the present situation. A second wave caused by the protests would have a huge cost, and not just for the BAME population, even though they appear more vulnerable (at least in the UK). Racism is an enduring problem, but there has been no trigger event in the UK that justifies protest now, and indeed no specific policy demand that the government could grant to end the protests. What seems to be demanded is an admission of white guilt and change in culture, and that in my opinion could wait until the present public health emergency is over, By the way, I visited a major academic medical centre in Wuhan last year and have been keeping in touch with my contacts there. They believe they controlled the virus by imposing a hard lock-down, and are astonished to see what is happening here. The other thing that anybody who has spent time in Asia will understand is that racism is not confined to white people.

I've made that point about racism before, it is usually ignored or downplayed.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Second wave on way on 19:46 - Jun 8 with 640 viewsSwansea93

Just seen this pop up, worth a little watch.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024