Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mclaughlin 17:05 - Aug 17 with 8277 viewsscarrow

signs 1 year deal

Poll: Final position

Mclaughlin on 18:09 - Aug 18 with 2594 viewsHopwoodblue

So who starts up front on Saturday ?
Unless we sign a striker who plays central in the next three days ?

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Mclaughlin on 18:24 - Aug 18 with 2561 viewsspringfieldparka

Mclaughlin on 16:29 - Aug 18 by Nigeriamark

Can't see us signing any decent players until close to the start of the season. There are hundreds of players that have been released many from a higher level. With almost a month to go to the start of the season they and their agents will not be dropping demands just yet & I wouldn't want us to be paying a lot just because other teams seem to be more active. I would imagine we have some budget for one or 2 decent signings but only once we get close to the start of the season and players start to drop wage demands.

Good post .

This was pretty well what I tried to put across . There are big numbers of players still unattached and , whilst expecting the club to cut its cloth accordingly , I would have expected a manager to identify options within reasonable parameters , and to start talking and negotiating with prospects early , even if it does take months to agree any deals .

I am not unrealistic in my hopes and expectations but there have to be options still out there who offer more than Tavares , Baah , and Mulvey , either on free transfers , or on loan , with whom the manager is in contact .
Mclaughlin on 18:46 - Aug 18 with 2504 viewsboromat

I'm sure there will have been discussions certain players will have been made low offers and they'll be waiting to see if they can get better anywhere else. Think we'll make most of our signing permanent and loans after the season has started. At that point wage demands for some will have dropped, more top teams will know who's available to send out on loan and we'll know how the opening up of grounds went and if the Greater Manchester lockdown slowed anything down.

For several seasons we've gone with the bare minimum and given the youngsters a go up until Christmas and then recruited accordingly in January if needed. I expect us to do that with even more emphasis on including the younger members.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Mclaughlin on 20:17 - Aug 18 with 2393 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Mclaughlin on 18:46 - Aug 18 by boromat

I'm sure there will have been discussions certain players will have been made low offers and they'll be waiting to see if they can get better anywhere else. Think we'll make most of our signing permanent and loans after the season has started. At that point wage demands for some will have dropped, more top teams will know who's available to send out on loan and we'll know how the opening up of grounds went and if the Greater Manchester lockdown slowed anything down.

For several seasons we've gone with the bare minimum and given the youngsters a go up until Christmas and then recruited accordingly in January if needed. I expect us to do that with even more emphasis on including the younger members.

As said by another poster, I could see Bunney back on a 1 year deal, I would imagine we have also discussed the minimum Calvin, MJW and Alby would want to come back for a 1 year deal. I hope not other than Alby but we will be looking at cheap options with a level of versatility.

I don’t doubt for a second that BBM has had talks with many players, it’s just a waiting game now to see if they will drop to our budget.

We are ok in midfield but other than that, we have no decent strikers and a defence that is injured more often than fit.

I think BBM knows what he needs though so fingers crossed.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Mclaughlin on 20:24 - Aug 18 with 2367 viewsdingdangblue

Mclaughlin on 18:09 - Aug 18 by Hopwoodblue

So who starts up front on Saturday ?
Unless we sign a striker who plays central in the next three days ?

Matt Done?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Mclaughlin on 20:31 - Aug 18 with 2347 viewsDaleiLama

Mclaughlin on 20:24 - Aug 18 by dingdangblue

Matt Done?

Morley has been seen to have a decent shot on him on occasions too. Not sure he has the short burst speed to play up front though.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Mclaughlin on 20:41 - Aug 18 with 2318 viewskrafty80

Mclaughlin on 20:31 - Aug 18 by DaleiLama

Morley has been seen to have a decent shot on him on occasions too. Not sure he has the short burst speed to play up front though.

Neither does Matty Done though based on the evidence of recent seasons unfortunately! Has anyone seen Mulvey play? I think both Tavares and Baah offer something from the little I've seen of them live, but they are raw to use footballing cliché.

While I'm one of those Dale fans who has been nervous about our recruitment or lack of every summer since 1990-odd (apart from that Lee Hodges year!), I fear this year that BBM has no room for error. Anyone we bring in basically has to deliver, and even then you fear that if we suffer a spate of injuries then we might be seeing some real youngsters. Let's hope one makes a name for himself -- the kid Joe Dunne maybe?
Mclaughlin on 21:31 - Aug 18 with 2213 viewsDaleiLama

Mclaughlin on 20:41 - Aug 18 by krafty80

Neither does Matty Done though based on the evidence of recent seasons unfortunately! Has anyone seen Mulvey play? I think both Tavares and Baah offer something from the little I've seen of them live, but they are raw to use footballing cliché.

While I'm one of those Dale fans who has been nervous about our recruitment or lack of every summer since 1990-odd (apart from that Lee Hodges year!), I fear this year that BBM has no room for error. Anyone we bring in basically has to deliver, and even then you fear that if we suffer a spate of injuries then we might be seeing some real youngsters. Let's hope one makes a name for himself -- the kid Joe Dunne maybe?

True enough, but having played striker, maybe his experience gives him a slight edge. He's nowhere near his days when paired with Hendo anymore though.

Login to get fewer ads

Mclaughlin on 22:05 - Aug 18 with 2142 viewsboromat

Mclaughlin on 20:17 - Aug 18 by Thacks_Rabbits

As said by another poster, I could see Bunney back on a 1 year deal, I would imagine we have also discussed the minimum Calvin, MJW and Alby would want to come back for a 1 year deal. I hope not other than Alby but we will be looking at cheap options with a level of versatility.

I don’t doubt for a second that BBM has had talks with many players, it’s just a waiting game now to see if they will drop to our budget.

We are ok in midfield but other than that, we have no decent strikers and a defence that is injured more often than fit.

I think BBM knows what he needs though so fingers crossed.

All those players you mention would have to accept pretty big drops in wages, I imagine.

Also talking of the younger strikers we could see there's also Peter Thomas who is a year older.

Mclaughlin on 08:16 - Aug 19 with 1892 viewsNorthernDale

I would have Wilbraham without a doubt, but who in their right mind would want Calvin back. Like other posters, I have a feeling that Bunney will return, after Evatt at Bolton decided he was not good enough after having him back on trial.

I feel we need at least two experienced strikers, Tavares as potential but is too skinny and easy pushed off the ball, Baah again as potential and I feel in time will come good. Mulvey and also Cullen are a enigma in that know one seems to have seen them in action.

I would also like to see a central defender (I suppose Keohane could occupy that role, if we get desperate) and a goalkeeper, but if we sign these players is another question. We will also need cover at right back after signing Mcloughlin!
Mclaughlin on 08:48 - Aug 19 with 1854 viewsSaxonDale

I'd be amazed if we went in for Bunney- during BBM's first few months with us we saw Bunney deliberately targeted by L1 teams every single game. Unfortunately for him I can see him dropping into non league.

Think Done will be starting the season upfront (what other option do we have?) but again, agree with others that he's an absolute shadow of the player he once was. Can't say with confidence that he'll score more than 10 goals in the league- we're going to need the whole team chipping in if we're to stay up.
Mclaughlin on 09:03 - Aug 19 with 1837 viewsfitzochris

Mclaughlin on 08:48 - Aug 19 by SaxonDale

I'd be amazed if we went in for Bunney- during BBM's first few months with us we saw Bunney deliberately targeted by L1 teams every single game. Unfortunately for him I can see him dropping into non league.

Think Done will be starting the season upfront (what other option do we have?) but again, agree with others that he's an absolute shadow of the player he once was. Can't say with confidence that he'll score more than 10 goals in the league- we're going to need the whole team chipping in if we're to stay up.

I think we are hoping to get this guy in on loan rather than Bunney...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Mclaughlin on 09:18 - Aug 19 with 1803 viewsSaxonDale

Mclaughlin on 09:03 - Aug 19 by fitzochris

Thanks for the insight, Fitzo.
Mclaughlin on 10:01 - Aug 19 with 1743 viewsdawlishdale

Mclaughlin on 08:48 - Aug 19 by SaxonDale

Bunney isn't good enough for L1 I'm afraid. Based on what Bolton think; he isn't good enough for L2, so I'd sadly agree that non league is his level.

As for Done, he didn't score any goals at all in the league last season, despite over 20 appearances. He is a shadow of the player we sold to Sheffield United, and yet will be one of the highest paid players at the club. At times last season, he looked bereft of confidence.

We are desperate for at least 2 attacking players who can score, and even then, will rely on the rest of the squad chipping in with perhaps 20 goals between them.
Mclaughlin on 10:30 - Aug 19 with 1694 viewsAtThePeake

Mclaughlin on 10:01 - Aug 19 by dawlishdale

Bunney isn't good enough for L1 I'm afraid. Based on what Bolton think; he isn't good enough for L2, so I'd sadly agree that non league is his level.

As for Done, he didn't score any goals at all in the league last season, despite over 20 appearances. He is a shadow of the player we sold to Sheffield United, and yet will be one of the highest paid players at the club. At times last season, he looked bereft of confidence.

We are desperate for at least 2 attacking players who can score, and even then, will rely on the rest of the squad chipping in with perhaps 20 goals between them.

That's why I'm surprised by how many people would be happy to take Wilbraham back. Working on the presumption that signing a player to replace Henderson in terms of goals is going to be impossible, we're going to need 2/3 forwards to share the burden. Wilbraham's four league goals in each of the last two seasons suggest to me that he probably can't do that, particularly with him now being 40.

I know he'll be cheap, but I'd rather add the few hundred quid he'd take to an offer for a player who might score 10+ because we're going to need at least one of them from somewhere.

Tangled up in blue.

Mclaughlin on 10:37 - Aug 19 with 1676 viewsSaxonDale

Mclaughlin on 10:30 - Aug 19 by AtThePeake

That's why I'm surprised by how many people would be happy to take Wilbraham back. Working on the presumption that signing a player to replace Henderson in terms of goals is going to be impossible, we're going to need 2/3 forwards to share the burden. Wilbraham's four league goals in each of the last two seasons suggest to me that he probably can't do that, particularly with him now being 40.

I know he'll be cheap, but I'd rather add the few hundred quid he'd take to an offer for a player who might score 10+ because we're going to need at least one of them from somewhere.

Think for me one of the biggest pulls towards bringing Wilbraham back is what he brings off the pitch. I know money is tight and we can't afford to bring player's in just to be cheerleaders from the side but I think Wilbraham could still offer a decent Plan B from the bench- could we realistically afford anyone better? Off the pitch he's been said to have a big impact on the younger players and given we're going to be relying on that a lot this season, coupled with the loss of established mentors such as Hendo and Camps, I reckon he could be a big benefit.
Mclaughlin on 10:47 - Aug 19 with 1663 viewsAtThePeake

Mclaughlin on 10:37 - Aug 19 by SaxonDale

Think for me one of the biggest pulls towards bringing Wilbraham back is what he brings off the pitch. I know money is tight and we can't afford to bring player's in just to be cheerleaders from the side but I think Wilbraham could still offer a decent Plan B from the bench- could we realistically afford anyone better? Off the pitch he's been said to have a big impact on the younger players and given we're going to be relying on that a lot this season, coupled with the loss of established mentors such as Hendo and Camps, I reckon he could be a big benefit.

Fair enough, I'm sure it's been a big help over the last few years but I just feel if you've going into the season with such a small squad, you're going to need everyone to contribute on the pitch first and foremost and I don't think Wilbraham does that often enough.

We probably can't afford much better but I'd say if we're going to sign possibly three players and one of them is Wilbraham, I'd rather we just signed two and put his wage towards attracting two better players.

Tangled up in blue.

Mclaughlin on 10:51 - Aug 19 with 1644 viewsSaxonDale

Mclaughlin on 10:47 - Aug 19 by AtThePeake

Fair enough, I'm sure it's been a big help over the last few years but I just feel if you've going into the season with such a small squad, you're going to need everyone to contribute on the pitch first and foremost and I don't think Wilbraham does that often enough.

We probably can't afford much better but I'd say if we're going to sign possibly three players and one of them is Wilbraham, I'd rather we just signed two and put his wage towards attracting two better players.

Fair points, ATP. Hopefully we see some movement in the next few weeks.
Mclaughlin on 11:02 - Aug 19 with 1608 viewsDaleiLama

Mclaughlin on 10:30 - Aug 19 by AtThePeake

One or two players who will score 10+/season and will play for pennies in the pound. Like you say ATP, "we're going to need at least one of them from somewhere" so we're going to need BBM to pull some rabbits out of a hat and/or polish some rough diamonds. We're also probably going to have to have more of that legendary patience waiting for 11th hour deals so whoever comes in will have to hit the ground running to prevent us getting off to another slow start.

Mclaughlin on 11:15 - Aug 19 with 1576 viewsJames1980

I guess this means it is highly unlikely RND will be returning for another loan spell with us in the near future.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Mclaughlin on 12:31 - Aug 19 with 1458 viewsJPSDale

McLaughlin clearly has ability and pace, but his fitness record is VERY poor and with smaller squads this will be a problem. Without the emergence of Luke last season we would have been in trouble.
The squad sizes will make it more demanding on players, some can play 40+ games, some cant, unfortunately I dont think Ryan can - I hope he proves me wrong.

We are a small side - we need some squad members who can cover a couple of positions - Reece Bennett ( or similar) would have be better "value" as he will be both available to play every week, covers several positions ( including C/B for Macshane). He would add a bit of size and power to a rather lightweight squad - we got bullied a few times last season

I dont like the fact BBM talks about Value, but if its value we are after the only measure is minutes available to play V cost. Mclaughlin could prove to be our most expensive player based on this measure if he is only available for a few games
Mclaughlin on 13:07 - Aug 19 with 1380 viewsboromat

If we intend to use McLaughlin as a RB and we sign Richards I think that would be us done for defenders. We'd have a back four and 3 reserves with all positions covered. Additionally we'd have Done, Lund and Morley that could all do a job if required. Not ideal but it is what it is.

Up top must be the priority but as always with those positions I think we'll have to play the long game to get the type of player we want for the money we're prepared to pay.

I'm gonna also stay optimistic about Matty Done. With Hendo now gone it's his chance to step out of the shadow. I'm hopeful hell turn it on this year and do well.

I'm also hoping Lund can take up Camps role in providing some goals from midfield. He's definitely capable of that.

Be interesting to see how the younger players have or haven't bulked up over the summer. Most years you see a significant difference in one or two and it's like having a new player. Obviously lockdown may have had an effect on the fitness regimes.

Mclaughlin on 18:54 - Aug 19 with 1105 viewsShun

Legit journalist or not?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024