Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next firebreak 22:16 - Nov 16 with 17587 viewscontroversial_jack

From a source at the Welsh assembly, 21st December.
Next firebreak on 11:09 - Nov 20 with 1406 viewsexhmrc1

Next firebreak on 10:29 - Nov 20 by Catullus

I had a blood test in the Bay recently. Goodall said they had made improvements which goes against my experiences.

They recruited and trained a lot of extra staff for the enfys hospitals, it was meant to be for people recovering, not the more serious or new cases. The point being (I believe) to keep the main hospital wards as clear as possible.

Now today the inevitable happened. I think I'd said it was only a matter of time. My son's year 7 class have been sent home and told to self isolate as someone in his class has tested positive for covid. In turn I have to isolate as I had to pick him up from school but he'd been in close contact with this kid for a few days and obviously he's been in close contact with myself and his mum. His mum has had to contact Occy health and they are checking to see if she needs to stay at home for 2 weeks also but it's probably a yes. She was only in the office 2 days a week anyway so it's no great thing as far as her work goes. Myself I am aexpecting 2 hospital appointments, one with Hepatology and one for my hip replacement op. I can only hope none of us develop symptoms because if I get covid I won't have the op for maybe another 3 months, until I am definitely fully recovered. My surgeon told me that quite clearly.

Schools are spreading this virus, all other efforts may be a waste of time if the kids are taking this home to parents who then take it to work, to the shops.

PS, I am not having a go at the school here.They are doing their best in difficult circumstances and only following Senedd rules. The teachers are at risk here too. I can honestly say Dwr Y Felin have been brilliant during this time, always in contact and putting the kids first.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 10:32]

This is part of the problem of opening things up. It was inevitable as figures increased. As I have said numerous times we had figures low then things were ruined with Johnson opening up borders and people bringing it back from abroad who then spread it in pubs and private houses. It has escalated since. Kids who had been abroad initially spread it in school and it has gone from there. Students came here from highly infected areas and it spread through HMOs and Halls. Part of the stupid positions in schools is that kids are wearing masks in corridors when they pass others fleetingly but not in classrooms when they at far more risk. Bonkers. Like wearing masks in shops and not offices, restaurants and pubs. It is when you are close to people for prolonged periods you are most likely to catch it.

The problem with the enfys hospitals is that patients have to be moved there when recovering. Who does that. The Ambulance service is already under strain. I think many of the staff recruited were short term and might well have been released in June. I know many of the students had their contracts ended then. Even without the hospital there is around an extra 100 beds in Morriston in the outpatient building many of which are intensive care. Who is staffing them. In addition staff are off with coronavirus.

Swansea Bay Health Board is looking for newly retired staff to give the vaccination. It is on their site. Nurses, pharmacists, paramedics, physios and many others are being taken on short term contracts. We have ready made people in Swansea. All the nurses, midwives, doctors, paramedics, physiologists training in Swansea University could be used as part of their training for a 3 month period and paid accordingly. There are hundreds there. They just need to be insured, It isnt too difficult to give injections. I inject my insulin as a diabetic and Dr Hilary suggested people could give injections themselves or with very little knowledge.

Enough of my rant hopefully you will be OK. It is highly likely that if 1 gets it in a household the others will as well. Most people recover from it and you at least arent in your 60s so you have a decent chance. 2 months ago a mate of mine had it then his wife did. She is a nurse in Neath Port Talbot. A woman on my street caught it. She is a sister in A&E in Morriston. Her daughter had it as well. She is a nurse in Morriston
Next firebreak on 11:12 - Nov 20 with 1401 viewsonehunglow

And soon we will have a lockdown in the new year so we can "celebrate" Christmas. 2 days which will see further losses of jobs .

Nuts

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Next firebreak on 11:14 - Nov 20 with 1399 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 11:12 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

And soon we will have a lockdown in the new year so we can "celebrate" Christmas. 2 days which will see further losses of jobs .

Nuts

We will have 5 days of over indulgence and self indulgence over Xmas, and many lives will be lost because of that. It rather goes against the idea of what Xmas should be about.
Next firebreak on 11:22 - Nov 20 with 1394 viewsonehunglow

Next firebreak on 11:14 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

We will have 5 days of over indulgence and self indulgence over Xmas, and many lives will be lost because of that. It rather goes against the idea of what Xmas should be about.

Exactly Im seething.

I saw Johnson saying we could have Christmas and celebrate with families.

Celebrate is just a pishup.It is not celebrating anything at all.Many hate this time of the year for that reason alone.The faux friendships ,the disingenuous garbage we have spouted at us for 5/6 weeks,the debt that dumb mums will get into so their kids can open presents they get bored with by NYE.

And the price to pay is Death in the new year.

I cannot begin to fathom how dumb Johnson is

Next firebreak on 11:30 - Nov 20 with 1384 viewsexhmrc1

Next firebreak on 11:12 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Nuts

Totally. It appears he doesnt realise you cannot allow all freedoms and save lives. Saving lives should come first and stopping cases take hold so people can have other treatments as well. Open what doesnt cause any increase and close things that do.
Next firebreak on 11:35 - Nov 20 with 1377 viewsonehunglow

I just do not get it taxy.
Johnno is actually aying to us,you can all meet up at Christmas,drink eat and "be merry" but shortly afterwards you will be lockdown again. So people will get trashed ,mingle then spread a virus that will take back any gains the current lockdowns have made.

Why Starmer not pointing out this folly. Many labour ,at heart ,do not want ANY lockdown .

All out politicians are cretins over this.

Next firebreak on 11:37 - Nov 20 with 1375 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 11:09 - Nov 20 by exhmrc1

This is part of the problem of opening things up. It was inevitable as figures increased. As I have said numerous times we had figures low then things were ruined with Johnson opening up borders and people bringing it back from abroad who then spread it in pubs and private houses. It has escalated since. Kids who had been abroad initially spread it in school and it has gone from there. Students came here from highly infected areas and it spread through HMOs and Halls. Part of the stupid positions in schools is that kids are wearing masks in corridors when they pass others fleetingly but not in classrooms when they at far more risk. Bonkers. Like wearing masks in shops and not offices, restaurants and pubs. It is when you are close to people for prolonged periods you are most likely to catch it.

The problem with the enfys hospitals is that patients have to be moved there when recovering. Who does that. The Ambulance service is already under strain. I think many of the staff recruited were short term and might well have been released in June. I know many of the students had their contracts ended then. Even without the hospital there is around an extra 100 beds in Morriston in the outpatient building many of which are intensive care. Who is staffing them. In addition staff are off with coronavirus.

Swansea Bay Health Board is looking for newly retired staff to give the vaccination. It is on their site. Nurses, pharmacists, paramedics, physios and many others are being taken on short term contracts. We have ready made people in Swansea. All the nurses, midwives, doctors, paramedics, physiologists training in Swansea University could be used as part of their training for a 3 month period and paid accordingly. There are hundreds there. They just need to be insured, It isnt too difficult to give injections. I inject my insulin as a diabetic and Dr Hilary suggested people could give injections themselves or with very little knowledge.

Enough of my rant hopefully you will be OK. It is highly likely that if 1 gets it in a household the others will as well. Most people recover from it and you at least arent in your 60s so you have a decent chance. 2 months ago a mate of mine had it then his wife did. She is a nurse in Neath Port Talbot. A woman on my street caught it. She is a sister in A&E in Morriston. Her daughter had it as well. She is a nurse in Morriston

As you say, the big problem is they are not learning from experience. The NHS has learnt and is dealing much better with covid but the governments, all 4 of them, are not learning.

I believe schools need to be open but when we had the firebreak it seems, by the science and data we all know about it would have been better to leave shops open and close all schools for the 2 weeks though a month would have been better.

I know several people who have had it, 2 firends who are nurses in Morriston both recovered, another friend who died and others who have recovered. Personally I am higher risk because of health issues but it's pointless panicking. I'll have my rant but I take the precautions and get on with it. Still, I hope none of us develop symptoms!

As Sgt Esterhaus used to say on "Hill Street Blues"....lets be careful out there.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Next firebreak on 11:41 - Nov 20 with 1374 viewsonehunglow

Next firebreak on 11:37 - Nov 20 by Catullus

As you say, the big problem is they are not learning from experience. The NHS has learnt and is dealing much better with covid but the governments, all 4 of them, are not learning.

I believe schools need to be open but when we had the firebreak it seems, by the science and data we all know about it would have been better to leave shops open and close all schools for the 2 weeks though a month would have been better.

I know several people who have had it, 2 firends who are nurses in Morriston both recovered, another friend who died and others who have recovered. Personally I am higher risk because of health issues but it's pointless panicking. I'll have my rant but I take the precautions and get on with it. Still, I hope none of us develop symptoms!

As Sgt Esterhaus used to say on "Hill Street Blues"....lets be careful out there.

Loved Hill St Blues.

Thanks for the memory

Login to get fewer ads

Next firebreak on 12:02 - Nov 20 with 1369 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 11:30 - Nov 20 by exhmrc1

Totally. It appears he doesnt realise you cannot allow all freedoms and save lives. Saving lives should come first and stopping cases take hold so people can have other treatments as well. Open what doesnt cause any increase and close things that do.

On that we are in full agreement. Actually follow the science, follow the data and close down where the virus is spreading or anywhere that doesn't follow the rules.

Let the rest of the world carry on as much as possible, as long as they can do distancing and even then tell people rules will be enforced, the police will take action. I say that because too many shop staff are getting abuse some customers have turned violent when asked to follow one way systems or keep away from other customers.

Saying that, shop staff should follow one way systems too.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Next firebreak on 12:05 - Nov 20 with 1364 viewsexhmrc1

Next firebreak on 11:35 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

I just do not get it taxy.
Johnno is actually aying to us,you can all meet up at Christmas,drink eat and "be merry" but shortly afterwards you will be lockdown again. So people will get trashed ,mingle then spread a virus that will take back any gains the current lockdowns have made.

Why Starmer not pointing out this folly. Many labour ,at heart ,do not want ANY lockdown .

All out politicians are cretins over this.

Irrespective of what party you support lockdown is necessary. After the early stages it was better handled in Wales than England. Drakeford followed the science but Johnson didnt. Sturgeon also followed the science and the rules were for a long time stricter here than with you

The problems here began when Johnson came up with his Air Bridges policy and it spread aided by Drakeford opening pubs. For 3 months from the beginning of July we didnt have a single covid death in Swansea Bay. In the last 7 weeks we have had over 80 and rising.

The Christmas policy is absolute nuts. iI can see some sense in allowing single people within family to join others for Christmas lunch but that is as far as it should go. How can we tell Hindus not to have people in their houses for Diwali but change the rules for a Christian festival.
Next firebreak on 12:29 - Nov 20 with 1348 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Next firebreak on 12:05 - Nov 20 by exhmrc1

Irrespective of what party you support lockdown is necessary. After the early stages it was better handled in Wales than England. Drakeford followed the science but Johnson didnt. Sturgeon also followed the science and the rules were for a long time stricter here than with you

The problems here began when Johnson came up with his Air Bridges policy and it spread aided by Drakeford opening pubs. For 3 months from the beginning of July we didnt have a single covid death in Swansea Bay. In the last 7 weeks we have had over 80 and rising.

The Christmas policy is absolute nuts. iI can see some sense in allowing single people within family to join others for Christmas lunch but that is as far as it should go. How can we tell Hindus not to have people in their houses for Diwali but change the rules for a Christian festival.

The opinion that Wales has handled the virus better than England is just that an opinion not fact.

Given the much lower population density in Ni, Wales and Scotland you would expect far lower infection rates than in England.

Infection rates per 100,000
Ni 2573
England 2219
Wales 2204
Scotland 1567

Death rates per 100,000
England 97.5
Wales 96.4
Scotland 88.9
NI 58.4

Given that the hardest hit groups are Bame and asians and England has by far the highest percentage of these groups

Percentage of white population
NI 98
Wales 96
Scotland 96
England 86

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Next firebreak on 12:32 - Nov 20 with 1350 viewsonehunglow

Next firebreak on 12:05 - Nov 20 by exhmrc1

Couldn’t agree more .

Christmas is no more sacrosanct than any other religion ,or shouldn’t be

Next firebreak on 14:17 - Nov 20 with 1329 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 12:32 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Couldn’t agree more .

Christmas is no more sacrosanct than any other religion ,or shouldn’t be

Nothing religious about Xmas
Next firebreak on 14:26 - Nov 20 with 1324 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 14:17 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

It is considered a Christian thing ut we all know it's just a commercial spendfest for most people. An excuse to eat, drink too much and tell everyone they shoule be happy because it's CHRIIIIISTMAS

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TDbKK8kwzzYwYPQSySxRL1ZIzijKLC7

Well somebody had to put the first Christmas song up! Except I already did on the binmen thread.....never mind.

Next firebreak on 14:38 - Nov 20 with 1323 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 14:26 - Nov 20 by Catullus

It is considered a Christian thing ut we all know it's just a commercial spendfest for most people. An excuse to eat, drink too much and tell everyone they shoule be happy because it's CHRIIIIISTMAS

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TDbKK8kwzzYwYPQSySxRL1ZIzijKLC7

Well somebody had to put the first Christmas song up! Except I already did on the binmen thread.....never mind.

Christmas was celebrated before Christianity
Next firebreak on 14:48 - Nov 20 with 1319 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 14:38 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

Christmas was celebrated before Christianity

Uhhh...nope. The first recorded Chritsmas celebration was in 336 AD. Christianity started in the 1st Century.

December was used for other religious celebrations, the Christians just robbed the date, it all part of their grand plan to convert people.

In Rome in December they used to celebrate Saturnalia,

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-rome/saturnalia

Next firebreak on 15:01 - Nov 20 with 1318 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 14:48 - Nov 20 by Catullus

Uhhh...nope. The first recorded Chritsmas celebration was in 336 AD. Christianity started in the 1st Century.

December was used for other religious celebrations, the Christians just robbed the date, it all part of their grand plan to convert people.

In Rome in December they used to celebrate Saturnalia,

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-rome/saturnalia

Check some different sources mate
Next firebreak on 15:14 - Nov 20 with 1314 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 15:01 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

Check some different sources mate

Why don't you provide some links?

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/25th.shtml

https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/301-600/the-1st-reco

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-first-ch

https://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

If you have a counter argument I'd be happy to read it.

Next firebreak on 16:24 - Nov 20 with 1307 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 15:14 - Nov 20 by Catullus

Why don't you provide some links?

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/25th.shtml

https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/301-600/the-1st-reco

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-first-ch

https://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

If you have a counter argument I'd be happy to read it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/dark-side-christmas-saturnalia-chr
Next firebreak on 16:40 - Nov 20 with 1305 viewsonehunglow

Next firebreak on 14:17 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

Really. So why do only Christians "celebrate" it as the birth of Jesus.
Why the Nativity plays?

Jews and Muslims do not celebrate it as to them Jesus was not the Messiah or the son of God.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 16:44]

Next firebreak on 18:36 - Nov 20 with 1287 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 16:40 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Why the Nativity plays?

Jews and Muslims do not celebrate it as to them Jesus was not the Messiah or the son of God.

They hijacked it
Next firebreak on 18:44 - Nov 20 with 1283 viewsProfessor

Next firebreak on 18:36 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

They hijacked it

Yes- old pagan midwinter
Next firebreak on 19:08 - Nov 20 with 1273 viewsCatullus

Next firebreak on 16:24 - Nov 20 by controversial_jack

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/dark-side-christmas-saturnalia-chr

I'm not quite sure you've understood that story. It's not saying they celebrated Christmas, it's showing that many Christmas traditions came from the pagan festivals (including Saturnalia) that were held on similar dates.

Christmas literally came from Christs mass, this taken from History.com

In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century.

Next firebreak on 22:47 - Nov 20 with 1252 viewscontroversial_jack

Next firebreak on 19:08 - Nov 20 by Catullus

I'm not quite sure you've understood that story. It's not saying they celebrated Christmas, it's showing that many Christmas traditions came from the pagan festivals (including Saturnalia) that were held on similar dates.

Christmas literally came from Christs mass, this taken from History.com

In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century.

They can change the name, and hijack it, but the origins are the same.

It's not a religious ceremony for most, it's about eating drinking and making pigs of themselves.Nothing wrong with that, i'm the same myself, but let's not delude ourselves that it's about goodwill to all men and women
Next firebreak on 08:09 - Nov 21 with 1213 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Next firebreak on 16:40 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Why the Nativity plays?

Strange I think everyone no matter what their religion or lack of religion is more than happy to take the bank holiday that is Christmas day off. If they work they will also at least double time for a day they do not celebrate.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024