Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Baah "deal" 18:36 - Feb 13 with 8690 viewsjudd

Anyone know wtf has actually been agreed?

On a Facebook page a fan has challenged a newspaper story that he will join City on a free, another fan claims City have paid a fee and loaned him back to us, and a club employee specifically responds to the latter with "Not true".

Poll: What is it to be then?

The Baah "deal" on 08:23 - Feb 16 with 2104 viewsjudd

The Baah "deal" on 23:56 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

What concerns me amid all this nonsense is the role of Man City, and in particular their (apparent) requirement that Dale keep the move under wraps

There must be some rationale for this stance, no doubt backed by financial incentives which place Dale over a barrel

If this can happen with Baah, it can happen with others too, which imo puts our business model under threat. In short, its not acceptable. I wish Baah nothing but the best for his future, but he's simply a raw talent that we took a gamble on and if we end up with nothing as a result (either because the deal falls through or he doesn't sign a contract which gives the club some future bargaining power) then what are we going to do about it?

All this speculation is so unnecessary - in fact its total bollox, to not put too fine a point on it. With everything else going on in the world, people will just turn off from football and see a bunch of self-serving nonentities with pretty much zero value to society

Again speculating, but City probably wanted it kept under wraps as it was not a done deal, as it now would appear to be the case.

"It's the hope that kills you" is a phrase R17ALE frequently used when he strode this board several years ago, in relation to being a Rochdale fan.

On what grounds and authority did BBM announce the dream move (apologies, I do not know the exact words he used)? Was he part of the negotiating team? Was it the agent/player asserting it was done? Someone else at the club?

Does it/should it matter to fans? Well I think it does/should. Speculation fuels debate, which is much needed at times like this, in my opinion.

Poll: What is it to be then?

The Baah "deal" on 09:44 - Feb 16 with 1965 viewsJames1980

Agent's doing?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The Baah "deal" on 09:59 - Feb 16 with 1943 viewsgolfaduffy

Got to feel sorry for Baah in all this mess. Just turned 18, voted young player of the month and thought he had secured an absolutely fantastic (financially at any rate) deal for himself at one of the top clubs in world football.

For whatever reason; it appears not to have gone through, which is surely why City insisted that it be kept quiet until everything was done and dusted.

It would appear that someone at our club blabbed prematurely, and hence the story was all over the press. There could well be serious consequences for the person who let the news out especially if City had a news embargo as part of the deal.

BBM must have been told of it, because I saw him on Sky Sports news saying it was the players "dream move", but someone at the club must have told him, so perhaps there is someone else to blame here?

Either way; it does not bode well for Baah's state of mind as we approach a cruical part of the season, and like umpteen other things off the pitch, it points to us not being professionally run.
The Baah "deal" on 11:16 - Feb 16 with 1822 viewsDaleiLama

The Baah "deal" on 09:59 - Feb 16 by golfaduffy

Got to feel sorry for Baah in all this mess. Just turned 18, voted young player of the month and thought he had secured an absolutely fantastic (financially at any rate) deal for himself at one of the top clubs in world football.

For whatever reason; it appears not to have gone through, which is surely why City insisted that it be kept quiet until everything was done and dusted.

It would appear that someone at our club blabbed prematurely, and hence the story was all over the press. There could well be serious consequences for the person who let the news out especially if City had a news embargo as part of the deal.

BBM must have been told of it, because I saw him on Sky Sports news saying it was the players "dream move", but someone at the club must have told him, so perhaps there is someone else to blame here?

Either way; it does not bode well for Baah's state of mind as we approach a cruical part of the season, and like umpteen other things off the pitch, it points to us not being professionally run.

I tend to agree with your "financially at any rate" comment (if he doesn't end up going to MCFC).

He would have no doubt gone into another academy system, possibly gone out on loan again and who's to say how his career would have evolved compared to what may now happen. He made a comment in the interview I posted earlier that he came to Dale cos he was penned in to play 1st team football. Whatever twists and turns his career takes from the end of this season, if he's good enough, he'll still make it to the top level and even if not, he still won't be badly rewarded playing professional football at below the top level.

From the interview he posted, you could tell he's not a natural in front of the camera (yet) but I thought he spoke pretty well for an 18 year old kid and showed maturity beyond his young years in some of his answers, which suggests he's either got his head screwed on or he's being well advised by someone who has his back. Either way, I think he'll probably be ok with negotiating a different path through life's maze. We've all had to do it at some stages of our lives and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger as the saying goes.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Baah "deal" on 12:55 - Feb 16 with 1673 viewsD_Alien

The Baah "deal" on 08:23 - Feb 16 by judd

Again speculating, but City probably wanted it kept under wraps as it was not a done deal, as it now would appear to be the case.

"It's the hope that kills you" is a phrase R17ALE frequently used when he strode this board several years ago, in relation to being a Rochdale fan.

On what grounds and authority did BBM announce the dream move (apologies, I do not know the exact words he used)? Was he part of the negotiating team? Was it the agent/player asserting it was done? Someone else at the club?

Does it/should it matter to fans? Well I think it does/should. Speculation fuels debate, which is much needed at times like this, in my opinion.

Just to be clear, it's not the speculation itself that's bollox (god knows, i do enough of it myself) but the need to speculate due to misinformation in the media which the club could easily put an end to

Especially when its manager has both confirmed and then quashed the rumours...

[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 13:16]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Baah "deal" on 13:11 - Feb 16 with 1625 viewsJames1980

Speculation by way of question here.
Have we been played by both Citeh and Blackpool in the transfer window just gone?

The Baah "deal" on 18:41 - Feb 16 with 1315 viewsfinberty

Blimey - if they have to do an inquest into which member of staff leaked the news, that'll be some undertaking, with the numbers now on the payroll.

And none of them can play LB.
The Baah "deal" on 06:46 - Feb 17 with 1161 viewsnordenblue

The Baah "deal" on 18:41 - Feb 16 by finberty

Blimey - if they have to do an inquest into which member of staff leaked the news, that'll be some undertaking, with the numbers now on the payroll.

And none of them can play LB.

We might need to enroll an "investigative consultant" to get to the bottom of this one though first
Login to get fewer ads

The Baah "deal" on 07:41 - Feb 17 with 1123 viewsfitzochris

All gags aside, and I’m not saying someone at the club hasn’t told someone something, and I’ve no idea what BBM’s role was or what prompted him to tell Sky about it, but the vast majority of the Baah info that was flying around on transfer day was definitely coming from elsewhere.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The Baah "deal" on 08:32 - Feb 17 with 1076 viewsJames1980

The Baah "deal" on 07:41 - Feb 17 by fitzochris

All gags aside, and I’m not saying someone at the club hasn’t told someone something, and I’ve no idea what BBM’s role was or what prompted him to tell Sky about it, but the vast majority of the Baah info that was flying around on transfer day was definitely coming from elsewhere.

As far as you and others had been led to believe, had a 'fee' been agreed, Baah was discussing terms with City and it was just a case of waiting for dotting, crossing and waiting for the ink to dry?

The Baah "deal" on 08:55 - Feb 17 with 1044 viewsfitzochris

The Baah "deal" on 08:32 - Feb 17 by James1980

As far as you and others had been led to believe, had a 'fee' been agreed, Baah was discussing terms with City and it was just a case of waiting for dotting, crossing and waiting for the ink to dry?

As far as I, and other journalists, were led to believe, it was all done. See the Guardian article.

A fee was agreed rather than compensation (to keep good relations between the two clubs, I was told) and a pre-contract agreement offered to the player.

While this wasn't official, it came from someone - not associated with either club - who you really think would know.

Anyway, for whatever reason, the deal hasn't happened (and I say that because for all I know now, it still might) and, as it stands, Baah is a free agent again in the summer.

Even if that is the case, and he leaves us for another club, compensation will be set by a tribunal and that can also include add-ons and sell-ons for any club that takes the player.

The Baah "deal" on 09:23 - Feb 17 with 1015 viewsJames1980

The Baah "deal" on 08:55 - Feb 17 by fitzochris

As far as I, and other journalists, were led to believe, it was all done. See the Guardian article.

A fee was agreed rather than compensation (to keep good relations between the two clubs, I was told) and a pre-contract agreement offered to the player.

While this wasn't official, it came from someone - not associated with either club - who you really think would know.

Anyway, for whatever reason, the deal hasn't happened (and I say that because for all I know now, it still might) and, as it stands, Baah is a free agent again in the summer.

Even if that is the case, and he leaves us for another club, compensation will be set by a tribunal and that can also include add-ons and sell-ons for any club that takes the player.

Thank you, is this sort of thing a common occurrence?

The Baah "deal" on 09:36 - Feb 17 with 1005 viewsfitzochris

The Baah "deal" on 09:23 - Feb 17 by James1980

Thank you, is this sort of thing a common occurrence?

No. I haven't heard of a club paying a fee to get a player on a pre-contract before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never encountered it. Maybe it happens a lot more higher up the food chain.

Effectively all City did is offer a fee and add-ons that we believed would be better than compensation set by a tribunal.

What happened after that isn't clear.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 9:51]

The Baah "deal" on 10:16 - Feb 17 with 932 viewsSaxonDale

The Baah "deal" on 09:36 - Feb 17 by fitzochris

No. I haven't heard of a club paying a fee to get a player on a pre-contract before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never encountered it. Maybe it happens a lot more higher up the food chain.

Effectively all City did is offer a fee and add-ons that we believed would be better than compensation set by a tribunal.

‘Effectively all City did is offer a fee and add-ons that we believed would be better than compensation set by a tribunal.’

Would be interesting to know whether that was indeed the reasoning behind accepting the deal or it was more a fear of him moving abroad in the summer and us getting nothing for him.
The Baah "deal" on 10:19 - Feb 17 with 921 viewsJames1980

The Baah "deal" on 09:36 - Feb 17 by fitzochris

I thought the deal itself was a bit strange but more so the whole business of two of the main parties involved not putting out any statements regarding it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024