Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread 14:29 - Apr 17 with 9295 views442Dale

Although it’ll mean they will go above us by a point, we could really do with Swindon winning this.

A Wimbledon win would be a six point gap again, which would possibly be a bridge too far.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:35 - Apr 17 with 2127 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:33 - Apr 17 by James1980

Shouldn't how well a manager performs in a season. (note I say season) be judge on 46 games. Had we been safe now because we had 4 wins and a draw earlier in the season but lost the last 5 games. Would you still be calling for a change of manager?

YES (note i say YES) - the type of football he's had the effrontery to put out has been an absolute disgrace, and that is no exaggeration

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:40 - Apr 17 with 2092 viewsncfc_chalky

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:31 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

It's great to see us winning, but you know very well if you've followed us as closely as you seem to have done that there was no need for this late resurgence, almost certainly to just fall short of survival. That's why it's so f*cking annoying

There's still hope of staying up,there usually some strange results in the final games of the season going by past experiences and they could go Dales way although I do take your point
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 20:42]

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:43 - Apr 17 with 2071 viewsmightydale

Shouldn't how well a manager performs in a season. (note I say season) be judge on 46 games. Had we been safe now because we had 4 wins and a draw earlier in the season but lost the last 5 games. Would you still be calling for a change of manager?

But we haven't had 4 wins and a draw, and we not not safe either so your question is irrelevant ffs.

BTW yes he should be sacked as he's totally clueless , sure you 2 ain't related?

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:46 - Apr 17 with 2050 viewsTVOS1907

But we didn't.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:53 - Apr 17 with 1991 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:40 - Apr 17 by ncfc_chalky

There's still hope of staying up,there usually some strange results in the final games of the season going by past experiences and they could go Dales way although I do take your point
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 20:42]

Don't get me wrong - i'll be absolutely ecstatic if we stay up, but it'll be tinged with huge annoyance at the mind-numbingly boring season we've had to endure, when all we wanted was some regular entertainment in the midst of the isolation of lockdown and the daily diet of horrendous news

Completely unacceptable and inexcusable, and i'm very well-aware of our budget limitations

If we'd gone down fighting from the outset but simply not been good enough, we're all able to accept that. That simply hasn't happened

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:59 - Apr 17 with 1948 views442Dale

Leaving BBM out of the conversation for a moment...

Managers are judged on a variety of factors. Dave Sutton lost his job after going close to the playoffs on numerous occasions, before leaving in November of 1994 as he had clearly lost the plot.

Mick Docherty was sacked after failing to inspire supporters who accepted he was working with a limited budget. Fans, those who hadn’t drifted away, were turning up out of habit.

Graham Barrow went after three seasons of poor football.

John Hollins took the club to the playoffs in his half season without ever fully convincing the fans, then departed after a new contract wasn’t agreed.

Paul Simpson was sacked after taking the club to the fifth round of the FA Cup for only the second time in our history but oversaw a poor league campaign.

Plenty more examples at Dale and elsewhere.

Managers are judged on so many things, a 46 game season is not necessarily one of them. The current manager has been assessed over the past two years.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:10 - Apr 17 with 1887 viewsDalenet

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:24 - Apr 17 by ncfc_chalky

Bloody hell,if you Daleys are this miseable about a important 3-1 win then God knows what it will be like on here if you get relegated

Thing is chalky lad we all know that we have players that are better than bottom 4. The team today played well and have been capable of doing this for much of the season. Today was nice, but its bitter sweet.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 22:19 - Apr 17 with 1721 viewsleedsdale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:17 - Apr 17 by dingdangblue

Got to hope Oxford can do us a favour on Tuesday - and we have to do our bit by somehow beating Blackpool (they must be due 1).
It would be a great time to get a fit Humphrys back into the team. Has BBM been asked post match about his progress?

Humphrys doesn’t think his hamstring is ready yet, according to BBM, so I guess he won’t be playing the next two games at least. Roberts is out for the season with a hamstring injury picked up in training
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 23:41 - Apr 17 with 1590 viewsToffeemanc

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 19:34 - Apr 17 by dingdangblue

The way they are playing Wimbledon away looks like our toughest ask. It's the 1 we NEED to win too.

I think it is very likely that it will be the Wimbledon game in 10 days time on the 27th April that will see Wimbledon confirm safety and Dale confirmed relegated.

Unfortunately for me the recent change of tactics and slight upturn in results will end up being nothing more than too little too late.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 08:13 - Apr 18 with 1378 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Yes. BBM is the reason we are in the more. The only reason we have a miniscule chance of escaping is because AFC Wimbledon have such a difficult run in, apart from their game against us. I can see us getting hammered at Wimbledon because we won't be able to match their physicality. Scott Hogan was the reason we last got a result there if my memory serves me correctly, other than that all I can recall is misery. Lincoln, Portsmouth, Oxford and Ipswich should all beat the Don's but BBM shouldn't have to rely on other teams, as we have thrown points away with alarming regularity all season, due to his ineptitude.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 09:23 - Apr 18 with 1269 viewsBillyRudd

As others have pointed out, this late resurgence in hope is bitter sweet and sadly will, I feel end up in the "close but no cigar" category.
Two other factors not mentioned, I find intensely irritating about the situation.
Firstly if this run in continues to gain results, it will reinforce the belief in the people currently controlling the club that somehow in BBM we have an asset rather than a liability.
Consequently regardless of the division we find ourselves in, it will be more of the same.
Secondly I find the postponement of the Wimbledon game in late March against the Dons, when their form at the time was indifferent (low scoring draws in the main) for International call ups, intensely frustrating. One of the call ups was Bazunu who quite frankly we have handed League experience to at ultimately our expense as we have got the services of a player in a key position, who at best is learning his trade. Not the players fault but since his return he has hardly played except for an expensive rick against Portsmouth, and Wimbledon since late March have become a goal scoring machine.
Frankly I will be glad when this season is over but I,m convinced that the "philosophy" will re-emerge in August.
Up the Dale
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 09:49 - Apr 18 with 1193 viewsfunkkk

BBM has to take the vast majority of the blame for where we are this season.

He isn’t good enough.

He will still be here next season whether we win all our remaining games or lose them.

Bottomley needs to go.

Fans are allowed to be happy with back-to-back home wins, praise yesterday’s performance, get a bit giddy about our slim chance of survival and still maintain the above.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 09:50 - Apr 18 with 1189 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 09:23 - Apr 18 by BillyRudd

As others have pointed out, this late resurgence in hope is bitter sweet and sadly will, I feel end up in the "close but no cigar" category.
Two other factors not mentioned, I find intensely irritating about the situation.
Firstly if this run in continues to gain results, it will reinforce the belief in the people currently controlling the club that somehow in BBM we have an asset rather than a liability.
Consequently regardless of the division we find ourselves in, it will be more of the same.
Secondly I find the postponement of the Wimbledon game in late March against the Dons, when their form at the time was indifferent (low scoring draws in the main) for International call ups, intensely frustrating. One of the call ups was Bazunu who quite frankly we have handed League experience to at ultimately our expense as we have got the services of a player in a key position, who at best is learning his trade. Not the players fault but since his return he has hardly played except for an expensive rick against Portsmouth, and Wimbledon since late March have become a goal scoring machine.
Frankly I will be glad when this season is over but I,m convinced that the "philosophy" will re-emerge in August.
Up the Dale

It is indeed hindsight, though mentioned at the time, but that Wimbledon postponement may have proven to be a mistake. Who knows?

The other point about BBM’s asset rating rising if we have a good run-in is one which the club would be foolish to try and use on a fanbase which is becoming aware to look through the words and analyse the detail.

Wonder what Steve Parkin thought about that ‘Italy-style’ home shirt we got in the summer of ‘96?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 10:24 - Apr 18 with 1129 viewstodmordendale

The perceived relegation threshold of 50 points seems beyond us.
It is difficult to see where we could get those 11 further points and even then it may not be enough.
It is more reachable for Wigan and Wimbledon.
The possession based tactics of fart arsing around our own penalty box has cost us dearly.
BBM must surely stand up, admit it and take full responsibility for the failure.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 11:18 - Apr 18 with 1050 viewsncfc_chalky

If the worst happens remember that you will still be a league above Notts so it's not all bad is it?

#cheatsdontprosper

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 11:20 - Apr 18 with 1045 viewsjudd

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 11:18 - Apr 18 by ncfc_chalky

If the worst happens remember that you will still be a league above Notts so it's not all bad is it?

#cheatsdontprosper

For a season, I suppose

Poll: What is it to be then?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 11:34 - Apr 18 with 1027 viewsSaxonDale

Sheridan been sacked by Swindon.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 12:21 - Apr 18 with 957 viewsDalenet

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 11:34 - Apr 18 by SaxonDale

Sheridan been sacked by Swindon.

Worse - he resigned. Said it was too much and he couldn't stand watching the players play. In other words he couldn't change them. At least he knew when to throw the towel in
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 12:30 - Apr 18 with 939 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 09:23 - Apr 18 by BillyRudd

Up the Dale

"I,m convinced that the "philosophy" will re-emerge in August."

Yep. With a bit of luck though, fans will also "re-emerge" to tell him exactly what to do with it

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 12:40 - Apr 18 with 918 viewsYorkshire_Dale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 12:21 - Apr 18 by Dalenet

Worse - he resigned. Said it was too much and he couldn't stand watching the players play. In other words he couldn't change them. At least he knew when to throw the towel in

Spot on...a bit of Dignity from Sheridan!

Our lad will just stand by and take the money while he has Boardroom support and the tag of being a young ,upcoming manager etc....which we all know is bollocks.

Far too late, he should have gone months ago and given a new Manager a fighting chance.

BBM will go down in history as a disaster!
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:14 - Apr 18 with 856 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:43 - Apr 17 by mightydale

But we haven't had 4 wins and a draw, and we not not safe either so your question is irrelevant ffs.

BTW yes he should be sacked as he's totally clueless , sure you 2 ain't related?

Not heard of any Irish ancestry in my family. It was a hypothetical question.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:19 - Apr 18 with 839 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 12:40 - Apr 18 by Yorkshire_Dale

Spot on...a bit of Dignity from Sheridan!

Our lad will just stand by and take the money while he has Boardroom support and the tag of being a young ,upcoming manager etc....which we all know is bollocks.

Far too late, he should have gone months ago and given a new Manager a fighting chance.

BBM will go down in history as a disaster!

Oh please, had BBM resigned after the Fleetwood game I bet there would have been people calling him a coward saying he had left it too late and the damage was done and he was only resigning because he doesn't want a relegation on his CV.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:29 - Apr 18 with 820 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:19 - Apr 18 by James1980

Oh please, had BBM resigned after the Fleetwood game I bet there would have been people calling him a coward saying he had left it too late and the damage was done and he was only resigning because he doesn't want a relegation on his CV.

Surely that's a hypothetical situation?

Anyway, regardless of that, surely you've got enough about you to take notice of the more mature, measured and informative posts on here?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:59 - Apr 18 with 762 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:59 - Apr 17 by 442Dale

Leaving BBM out of the conversation for a moment...

Managers are judged on a variety of factors. Dave Sutton lost his job after going close to the playoffs on numerous occasions, before leaving in November of 1994 as he had clearly lost the plot.

Mick Docherty was sacked after failing to inspire supporters who accepted he was working with a limited budget. Fans, those who hadn’t drifted away, were turning up out of habit.

Graham Barrow went after three seasons of poor football.

John Hollins took the club to the playoffs in his half season without ever fully convincing the fans, then departed after a new contract wasn’t agreed.

Paul Simpson was sacked after taking the club to the fifth round of the FA Cup for only the second time in our history but oversaw a poor league campaign.

Plenty more examples at Dale and elsewhere.

Managers are judged on so many things, a 46 game season is not necessarily one of them. The current manager has been assessed over the past two years.

But if the target is to stay in League 1 if at the end of this season we are still in the league haven't the last 2 seasons been successful? If not isn't the problem with those setting that target and not those achieving it?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 14:02 - Apr 18 with 758 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 13:29 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

Surely that's a hypothetical situation?

Anyway, regardless of that, surely you've got enough about you to take notice of the more mature, measured and informative posts on here?

You are right

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024