Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread 14:29 - Apr 17 with 9292 views442Dale

Although it’ll mean they will go above us by a point, we could really do with Swindon winning this.

A Wimbledon win would be a six point gap again, which would possibly be a bridge too far.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:07 - Apr 18 with 1236 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 15:55 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

Didn’t say that fans on here were speaking for the majority, however it is an excellent snapshot of fans who are able to assess the situation fairly taking into account all the factors. It gives a good indication of the fanbase in general, and nor is it a case of the extremes of BBM in/out. It’s about assessing the general mood around the club and amongst fans and assessing what is best for the football club, irrespective of our own individual views. Some of the previous examples are illustrations of that.

I can also read. You seem to want it both ways, if you don’t mind me saying,
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:08]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:10 - Apr 18 with 1213 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:07 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

I can also read. You seem to want it both ways, if you don’t mind me saying,

Yep. No zest at all. Just analysis of what has gone on across time. There has been no concerted campaign on here to change the manager.

Edit to the edit: I don’t want it any way. Only offering an opinion, certainly without any zest.

Zest: great enthusiasm and energy.

Not sure many have displayed great enthusiasm or energy on this subject. Personally, it’s been so depressing and frustrating that it becomes tiring and tedious watching and commenting on games. And yes, that’s my own fault for doing so in an attempt to bring in some reasoned debate, appreciate that some may not see it that way.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:25]

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:10 - Apr 18 with 1212 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:05 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

Tbf, you posted that before he replied to it.

Come on, you asked me who and I directed you to an example.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:11 - Apr 18 with 1211 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:07 - Apr 18 by ncfc_chalky

Can Dale afford to even get rid of BBM in current financial climate for football clubs?

If you get relegated some fans have said that they won't renew their season tickets so Dale will be down on that money,there could be a third covid variant that stops watching games live again plus there's the wages for a new manager and not to mention that instead of teams like Sunderland coming to Spotland you end up with Stevenage instead,it won't come cheap getting rid

Not sure it was the league position which was influencing fans renewing, Chalky. More around the off the field situation.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:13 - Apr 18 with 1187 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:10 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Come on, you asked me who and I directed you to an example.

But who did you mean before you posted, as D_Alien hadn't commented at that point? You must have had someone else in mind.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:13 - Apr 18 with 1184 views49thseason

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 18:37 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

If, and it’s a massive if, BBM keeps us up I certainly would not want the club to get rid of him. He will have earned, just about admittedly, the right to have another go.
A bit of objectivity here. Dale sacking a manager who has kept the club in the third tier? That’s not good.
We’re getting very Bury here.

Keeping the club in L1 given the team we started the season with and the injuries along the way would be be the equivalent of turning water into wine.
BBM isnt responsible for the lowest budget in the division, nor was he responsible for the Henderson debacle. To be honest I think his recruitment in Summer and January has been decent all considered. And he did try to fill the left back slot but probably failed because there were no funds to support him.
Having said all that his tactics were awful and at times the motivation in the squad seemed poor. Could he have done more with what he was given? Possibly. Was the likely outcome relegation from game 1? Probably. Is it possible that we are starting to see the emergence of a L1 capable squad? Maybe. But, winning a couple of home games really shouldnt be the cause of joyous celebrations.
So it boils down to budget and the major failure has been that of the Board and the CEO. Their job is to provide the circumstances that lead to success i.e. sufficient cash to be a competitive force. They have in fact overseen a reduction in profits and turnover, they have allowed some notable income streams to wither whilst replacing them with pale imitations.
They bought the Ratcliffe Arms, does it make a profit? They have replaced the pitch more times than Monty Don digs up his garden. They didnt do enough to protect the club against the inevitable rainy day in Rochdale.
Hoping for the best is not a commercial strategy. Relying on selling a player is a windfall not a strategy. Building 10 appartments on the 5 a side pitch is a strategy when you continually bring new young players and loanees into the club rather than putting them in hotels. Turning the Ratcliffe into a franchised fast food restaurant would bring in over £1000 a day and doing it with a cheap loan is a strategy. Running events in the car park and stands during the close season is a strategy, doing nothing isn't.
The blame lies with a Board of Directors that is too old, too set in its ways and too comfortable. They have run out of ideas or simply do not have the energy to implement new ones , in either case they should have brought in new blood, but like so many failed businesses they thought the train would keep trundling along. It didn't. That they are only now looking for new investors is an admission of prior failure to plan and prepare. They were happy to let their choice of CEO do as he liked, did he meet their targets? Well of course he did because they failed to set any. Unless of course the target involved killing off income streams followed by a slash and burn recruitment policy and the adding of non-playing staff to the wage bill whilst overseeing the worst football witnessed for 30 years.
AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:19 - Apr 18 with 1157 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 18:24 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

I must admit i'm finding this sudden resurgence in optimism about our prospects (don't mean by you) pretty annoying

Apart from the odd away win and high-scoring home draw, it's been pretty much wall-to-wall dross for the past seven months, and whilst many of us having been saying all along that we needed to be playing in the manner that's been revived from previous backs-to-the-wall campaigns, the fact that it's now being proven to be far more effective shouldn't ever allow any escape by BBM from the opprobrium that his previous obstinacy warrants

He can do one, whatever happens

TVOS

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:23 - Apr 18 with 1130 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:13 - Apr 18 by 49thseason

Keeping the club in L1 given the team we started the season with and the injuries along the way would be be the equivalent of turning water into wine.
BBM isnt responsible for the lowest budget in the division, nor was he responsible for the Henderson debacle. To be honest I think his recruitment in Summer and January has been decent all considered. And he did try to fill the left back slot but probably failed because there were no funds to support him.
Having said all that his tactics were awful and at times the motivation in the squad seemed poor. Could he have done more with what he was given? Possibly. Was the likely outcome relegation from game 1? Probably. Is it possible that we are starting to see the emergence of a L1 capable squad? Maybe. But, winning a couple of home games really shouldnt be the cause of joyous celebrations.
So it boils down to budget and the major failure has been that of the Board and the CEO. Their job is to provide the circumstances that lead to success i.e. sufficient cash to be a competitive force. They have in fact overseen a reduction in profits and turnover, they have allowed some notable income streams to wither whilst replacing them with pale imitations.
They bought the Ratcliffe Arms, does it make a profit? They have replaced the pitch more times than Monty Don digs up his garden. They didnt do enough to protect the club against the inevitable rainy day in Rochdale.
Hoping for the best is not a commercial strategy. Relying on selling a player is a windfall not a strategy. Building 10 appartments on the 5 a side pitch is a strategy when you continually bring new young players and loanees into the club rather than putting them in hotels. Turning the Ratcliffe into a franchised fast food restaurant would bring in over £1000 a day and doing it with a cheap loan is a strategy. Running events in the car park and stands during the close season is a strategy, doing nothing isn't.
The blame lies with a Board of Directors that is too old, too set in its ways and too comfortable. They have run out of ideas or simply do not have the energy to implement new ones , in either case they should have brought in new blood, but like so many failed businesses they thought the train would keep trundling along. It didn't. That they are only now looking for new investors is an admission of prior failure to plan and prepare. They were happy to let their choice of CEO do as he liked, did he meet their targets? Well of course he did because they failed to set any. Unless of course the target involved killing off income streams followed by a slash and burn recruitment policy and the adding of non-playing staff to the wage bill whilst overseeing the worst football witnessed for 30 years.

It’s not been the worst football witnessed in 30 years.

Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:26 - Apr 18 with 1112 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:19 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

TVOS

Thank you, I presumed you meant the more recent post as that was "above" on the page.

He's not a lone voice, however, so I'm not sure why D_Alien is the only one you've mentioned, but I'm sure he can argue that for himself.

And when I say he's not a lone voice, that doesn't mean there's a zest for "get rid, rid, rid" on here, particularly when we've been told this board doesn't reflect the majority. Like 442 said to James, I think the fans have been incredibly fair for the most part.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:27]

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:30 - Apr 18 with 1104 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:23 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

It’s not been the worst football witnessed in 30 years.

No it hasn’t.

Thirty years takes us back to when Dave Sutton took over. The Barrow era was worse and the final days of Docherty’s spell in charge were almost impossible to watch. Under Eyre it was obvious things weren’t going to work and it was reflected out on the pitch.

All those above appeared inevitable at the time. Maintain this season didn’t need to be, as we have witnessed recently.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:31]

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:40 - Apr 18 with 1061 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 19:46 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

DAlien above.

You elevate me to the gods!

Football is a passionate game; without it, it's nothing

BBMs has been putting teams out for the majority of this season that were the abnegation of the spirit of football

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:41 - Apr 18 with 1051 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:30 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

No it hasn’t.

Thirty years takes us back to when Dave Sutton took over. The Barrow era was worse and the final days of Docherty’s spell in charge were almost impossible to watch. Under Eyre it was obvious things weren’t going to work and it was reflected out on the pitch.

All those above appeared inevitable at the time. Maintain this season didn’t need to be, as we have witnessed recently.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:31]

I totally agree. However, if BBM is able, and again a massive if, to turn it around then he may benefit from this experience and become a better manager.
Prior to this season, BBM has been the first ‘post Hill’ manager to deliver some success. Was it just beginners luck? I genuinely don’t know. For me, he’s got 5 games. If he’s successful then he deserves another crack.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:51 - Apr 18 with 993 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:41 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

I totally agree. However, if BBM is able, and again a massive if, to turn it around then he may benefit from this experience and become a better manager.
Prior to this season, BBM has been the first ‘post Hill’ manager to deliver some success. Was it just beginners luck? I genuinely don’t know. For me, he’s got 5 games. If he’s successful then he deserves another crack.

And if, and it's not much of an if tbf, he doesn't turn it around?

He'll have wasted our time, resources and the planning of 15 years and more to take us to a level which we really should've been able to maintain with the players we have, with a better manager

He had the opportunity to learn from the experience of his first part-season in charge, when he actually didn't need to learn what it'd take to survive. He then had a further opportunity to learn from last year's curtailed season when his tactics against Rotherham (for instance) enabled us to step above what turned out to be the drop zone

So, this is a manager who's serially failing to take lessons on board, at our expense
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:52]

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:54 - Apr 18 with 977 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:26 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

Thank you, I presumed you meant the more recent post as that was "above" on the page.

He's not a lone voice, however, so I'm not sure why D_Alien is the only one you've mentioned, but I'm sure he can argue that for himself.

And when I say he's not a lone voice, that doesn't mean there's a zest for "get rid, rid, rid" on here, particularly when we've been told this board doesn't reflect the majority. Like 442 said to James, I think the fans have been incredibly fair for the most part.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:27]

No problem, I should have made it clearer which post I was referring to.
I mentioned DAlien because it just happened to be on this thread. There are numerous other very anti-BBM posts, and more balanced posts as well tbf.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:55 - Apr 18 with 973 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:54 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

No problem, I should have made it clearer which post I was referring to.
I mentioned DAlien because it just happened to be on this thread. There are numerous other very anti-BBM posts, and more balanced posts as well tbf.

So, an anti-BBM post is unbalanced...

No more need be said

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:58 - Apr 18 with 951 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:51 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

And if, and it's not much of an if tbf, he doesn't turn it around?

He'll have wasted our time, resources and the planning of 15 years and more to take us to a level which we really should've been able to maintain with the players we have, with a better manager

He had the opportunity to learn from the experience of his first part-season in charge, when he actually didn't need to learn what it'd take to survive. He then had a further opportunity to learn from last year's curtailed season when his tactics against Rotherham (for instance) enabled us to step above what turned out to be the drop zone

So, this is a manager who's serially failing to take lessons on board, at our expense
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:52]

Keith Hill is an excellent manager. The best I’ve ever witnessed at Dale by a country mile. We nearly got relegated once with him and would have been relegated had he stayed.
Who are these better managers?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:04 - Apr 18 with 919 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 20:58 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Keith Hill is an excellent manager. The best I’ve ever witnessed at Dale by a country mile. We nearly got relegated once with him and would have been relegated had he stayed.
Who are these better managers?

We won't find out for at least another season, i fully accept that - in response to those who say they'll support BBM because we can't rid ourselves just yet

Those other clubs who've appointed better managers than the ones they had and look like they're going to survive, the classic example being Burton who were rock bottom for a long time, know who might be a better manager than the one they had

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:38 - Apr 18 with 828 viewsBigDaveMyCock

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:04 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

We won't find out for at least another season, i fully accept that - in response to those who say they'll support BBM because we can't rid ourselves just yet

Those other clubs who've appointed better managers than the ones they had and look like they're going to survive, the classic example being Burton who were rock bottom for a long time, know who might be a better manager than the one they had

Isn’t what Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink is doing at Burton precisely what BBM did 2 seasons ago?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:41 - Apr 18 with 817 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:38 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Isn’t what Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink is doing at Burton precisely what BBM did 2 seasons ago?

Apparently he was backed with a large amount of money in the January window as well

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:44 - Apr 18 with 812 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:38 - Apr 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Yes, which is why i said he didn't actually need to "learn" how to survive the trapdoor; he already knew, and repeated it the following season

So having that in his locker, he chose not to deploy it until it was almost certainly too late - absolutely unforgivable. It's entirely possible he'd imprinted his "philosophy" into the minds of the players that it took some time to take it out again. Meanwhile, the fans were being lobotomised themselves through watching his negative, spiritless and futile tactics

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:45 - Apr 18 with 807 viewsdingdangblue

3 teams who've changed their manager will definitely still go down (4 if we stay up)

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:48 - Apr 18 with 796 viewsD_Alien

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:45 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

3 teams who've changed their manager will definitely still go down (4 if we stay up)

It's not just about survival in L1 - much as that would be very important

It's about wasting all our times on more matchdays than can be forgiven

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:57 - Apr 18 with 763 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 21:41 - Apr 18 by James1980

Apparently he was backed with a large amount of money in the January window as well

He also used it (however 'large' it was) correctly.

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 22:37 - Apr 18 with 659 viewsJames1980

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 17:16 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

James, can you let us know what you've enjoyed about this season, because the primary objective should be to provide some entertainment for the fans.

I have been entertained on occasion, I would agree too few of them though. What makes it worse is the lack of matchday experience.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 23:00 - Apr 18 with 632 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon v Swindon (5.30pm ko) match thread on 22:37 - Apr 18 by James1980

I have been entertained on occasion, I would agree too few of them though. What makes it worse is the lack of matchday experience.

'Occasion', as in singular?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024